Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You can one-hand a claymore with 16 strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Fat Aggression posted:

So i'm sitting at SL 42 and have 20 str 20 dex. I'm mainhanding qualaag's fury sword, but I want a solid lightning weapon and hate spears. What is the recommended weapon to level up to lightning+5? Seems like popular choices are large weapons like Zweihander, plain Great Sword, "insert noun" great sword, Claymore, etc.

I'm not against leveling up my str to 1 hand any of those, but do people usually 2hand them anyway?

Personally, I preferred a Halberd to the big-rear end Sword options on my character that ended up with 20 Str. Zweihander/Greatsword seem to be the popular options, they just felt too slow for me.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

So I joined the Forest Hunters Covenant, and have been slaughtered everytime I've invaded someone. I'm never going to get the 3 kills for the ring. What's the deal with it exactly, why is it, every persons game I enter, they're ready for me, and have ridiculous equipment on that ruins me in seconds?

The last one was the best, and I wish I could of filmed it. I popped in some dudes game, It pops me in the middle of the forest, so I start looking around. In the distance I see soul arrows flying, so I start heading there. After a few moments of running, I hear an additional set of footsteps. I stop, pan the camera around and see a guy in smooth black armor with a gigantic sword backstab me, ( i have 980hps) and I die instantly. As my corpse falls to the ground, the guy bow's in my direction and resumes running. I took that loving ring off for now, as I'm sick of just getting one shotted, and/or encountering people with their own fog rings who ruin me instantly.

Then I go back to fighting NPC's, and I feel like I"m an unstoppable juggernaut of death and destruction. Oh this loving game.

Throwing in a question, my char is STR based, and I want to get the biggest and most devastating sword I can find. What should I be looking out for? I'm in Anor Londo currently, wielding a Black Knights Greatsword, which is pretty awesome admittedly. 600+ damage with the strong attack, I'll take it.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Ah, so I totally missed the HUGE LEVER HEY HI that opens that shortcut last time. Idiot.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Fat Aggression posted:

So i'm sitting at SL 42 and have 20 str 20 dex. I'm mainhanding qualaag's fury sword, but I want a solid lightning weapon and hate spears. What is the recommended weapon to level up to lightning+5? Seems like popular choices are large weapons like Zweihander, plain Great Sword, "insert noun" great sword, Claymore, etc.

I'm not against leveling up my str to 1 hand any of those, but do people usually 2hand them anyway?

You also can try a faster weapon like a katana if you want, katanas are also a popular choice. And the washing pole has some great range, you also have the req dex to use it. So it's probably a good choice for you.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Binge posted:

:words:

The forest is full of people running PVP characters that are made specifically to ruin your day. That area is as close to consensual PVP as you can get in this game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Dear guy with two white phantoms in Anor Londo,

Please do not send me hate mail when I hide out by the golems and kill your asses. You've got your friends and I've got mine. :colbert:

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Binge posted:

So I joined the Forest Hunters Covenant, and have been slaughtered everytime I've invaded someone. I'm never going to get the 3 kills for the ring. What's the deal with it exactly, why is it, every persons game I enter, they're ready for me, and have ridiculous equipment on that ruins me in seconds?

I'm pretty sure you only get summoned to fight people in human form. So you'll either get people who want to pvp or people who stumbled into the forest in human form.

I just did this myself and it took awhile to get summoned but it wasn't to terrible aside from the boredom. Even if they're their for the pvp you may not be the only one who gets summoned so you still have a chance.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

So I just finished the game with the Dark Lord ending.

What's the deal with Frampt coming to help you? I thought he was trying to get you to light the flame and Kaathe was for the other ending? But turns out they both bow their bald veiny heads at me. And what's the deal with Gwyn? I thought me going in to light the last flame would return the age of fire or whatever and empower the lords again. Why is he beating me up? :confused:

edit: VVVV Once he aggros onto you, run into the L shaped alley. Hide behind a wall then stick your head out so he does his overhead tentacle attack and dodge away from it back into the L shaped corridor. Run out and hack at him, repeat.

Amdis fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 19, 2011

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So fighting Ceaseless Discharge, and wow I barely scratch him. Unfortunately my best weapon right now is Quelaag's firesword+5, and what with him being fire and all it barely tickles him. What's his general weakness?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Once you know what you're doing, New Game Plus is so quick (Knight Character with Havel's Armor)

Been like three hours, and i'm already at Anor Londo. The one time i have died at least three times in one area was the Sniper section. Completely skipped the Depths because of the Master Key, and i wouldn't have it any other way. gently caress the majority of Blighttown.

For you folks already near the end at NG+, how was Smough/Ornstein, Seath and Four Kings? Those are the only bosses i had more than your average trouble on in Normal mode, especially Seath because i tried cutting his tail.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with Lost Izalith did From look at Elder Scrolls and think "Hmm, Oblivion was an interesting place, but you know what it needed? EVEN MORE BLOOM"?

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Balder Side Sword

This sword gets a lotta love from me, always in the second slot after my Estoc, and wouldn't dare replace it with a longsword.

It carries the usual longsword R1 slashes, and the transition to R2 thrust. But a second R2 attack will result in another thrust, not the upward slash of the longsword. The jumping attack is also a thrust, compared to longswords downward stab.

plus its about 5% shorter than an Estoc (even a normal right to left R1 slash will hit the floor at the very end of its swing)

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Ornstein and Smough. Wow. I wasnt expecting one little room to nullify all the fun I've had up until this point. Is there a summon mark for Mr. Sunpants anywhere, cause I can't find it if there is.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Erm, are those clams always supposed to follow you into the Seath fight? I loving had him then if it wasn't for those pricks.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

Macksy posted:

Ornstein and Smough. Wow. I wasnt expecting one little room to nullify all the fun I've had up until this point. Is there a summon mark for Mr. Sunpants anywhere, cause I can't find it if there is.

It's on the staircase landing right down from where the black knight archer is in the room before them.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Tips for getting past those two snipers in Anor Londo? Everything I've read says that one will fall as it pulls out it sword so just block.

Never happens and I've probably lost 120k

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
For the trophy for crystal reinforcement...

Can I make a crystal sword crystal? I want a crystal crystal sword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Macksy posted:

Yeah, I think it's on the far staircase. The one with the archer. It's on the flat area (what are those called).

Gazmachine posted:

Erm, are those clams always supposed to follow you into the Seath fight? I loving had him then if it wasn't for those pricks.
They won't now that you've died once. There'll be a fog wall.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

OK, cool. That was to be my VERY FIRST boss in this game that I was going to beat on the first goddamn try. Those clam faced SHITTERS.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gazmachine posted:

OK, cool. That was to be my VERY FIRST boss in this game that I was going to beat on the first goddamn try. Those clam faced SHITTERS.
Get your fireballs together and put the fear of pyromancy in their cold, crustacean hearts (do clams have hearts?).

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Get your fireballs together and put the fear of pyromancy in their cold, crustacean hearts (do clams have hearts?).

Steal some hearts and put them in the clams first, THEN put the fear of fire in them.

defult
Oct 19, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

For you folks already near the end at NG+, how was Smough/Ornstein, Seath and Four Kings? Those are the only bosses i had more than your average trouble on in Normal mode, especially Seath because i tried cutting his tail.

Only one i had trouble with was Four Kings had to crystal ring shield em in the end, so hard to keep up dps other wise. As for the Seath's tail, i gave up on trying that and just killed him.

defult fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 19, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where am I supposed to be going in Izalith? I can't see anything due to the bloom and the framerate just completely gives up.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm standing before the boss fight in the crystal caves, and I see all these cursed statues... but they seem to spawn in different places... Are these the "bloodstains"/curse statues of other players? :stare:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RBA Starblade posted:

Where am I supposed to be going in Izalith? I can't see anything due to the bloom and the framerate just completely gives up.

You're supposed to go to the Angkor Wat looking building in the distance. Look for a small ruined archway near some lava, and there's a vine that leads you straight to the building.

defult posted:

Only one i had trouble with was Four Kings had to crystal shield em in the end, so hard to keep up dps other wise. As for the Seath's tail, i gave up on trying that and just killed him.

Thanks. I made the mistake of fully upgrading the Golem Axe because i thought the wind attack was going to make some situations easy, but it didn't work out that way. Guess I'm going to have to kill a whole bunch of Titanite Demons to make that shield. If i'm still playing NG++, i'll just save some to make all the weapons for the achievement.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're supposed to go to the Angkor Wat looking building in the distance. Look for a small ruined archway near some lava, and there's a vine that leads you straight to the building.

Ah, thanks. I'm going in the wrong directions then. Oh good, there are eight dinosaurs between me and them and the vines have lovely collision detection. Good thing I have three stored humanity because I'm pretty sure that's all that I'm going to get between here and the credits.

Man, everything after Anor Londo is like From just stopped caring. Every single area stops being "how can I get past these without dying" and "how many times do I have to throw myself at the enemy until I break through".=

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 19, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Sigh. I had ONE swing to finish him. ONE. and AoE crystals did me a rotter.

I need to go to bed. LAST TRY.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

invalid posted:

Tips for getting past those two snipers in Anor Londo? Everything I've read says that one will fall as it pulls out it sword so just block.

Never happens and I've probably lost 120k

Run to the one on the right so that he draws his sword then run back to safety, if he doesn't fall then repeat. 9 times out of 10 he'll just book it off the edge after two or three tries.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I've been sitting around in the depths getting summoned in to help with the gaping dragon tonight. I really like white phantoming, so I'm thinking of joining the Sunshine Bros and becoming a golden phantom. Someone helped me finally beat the capra demon on my sorceror today so I helped another couple of people out with him then moved on to the gaping dragon.

I did have a bit of an embarrassing moment though, I was helping a guy out with the gaping dragon but he didn't realise you could cut the tail off, so I took out my estoc and started slashing away at the tail and got my dumb rear end killed. Fortunately the guy resummoned me on his next go, but we would've got it first time if I'd just stood back and kept on shooting spells.

For some reason I always find myself trying to talk to the person I'm phantoming with, and they're universally called 'little buddy'.

"Oh no little buddy, move out of the way he's gonna kill you! Oh poo poo little buddy!"

I've also found the secret to getting summoned a shitload is to do the dishes while you wait, so when you turn your attention back to the TV you'll see the summoning text flashing across the screen and have to freak out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'm at an impasse for my Washing pool. How should I upgrade it? Lightning or Fire? What will be more useful in the long run?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Revitalized posted:

So I'm standing before the boss fight in the crystal caves, and I see all these cursed statues... but they seem to spawn in different places... Are these the "bloodstains"/curse statues of other players? :stare:

I think the curse statues are the bloodstain equivalent of dudes who got cursed. I couldn't figure out what the gently caress they were cause they'd randomly appear anywhere the curse frogs or crystal golems were, but they wouldn't be random set decorations for before you kill the monsters and they'd keep appearing after the monster is dead. For a long time I'd assumed they were just some neat prop that appears in basilisk mist, but I do think they're actually other dead players.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Rascyc posted:

Join Darkwraiths, you will find out.

No, you're his descendant.

Ohhhh, now what Frampt says is so much clearer! Man I love a game where the story needs to be sought rather than fed to you in some sort of feed-trough of exposition. Goddamn I love the Souls'

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

HEY HEY KIDS I FELL OFF THE INVISIBLE poo poo ON MY WAY THERE

:negative: That's it, I'm done. I need bed. Damnit I really wanted to draw a line under that scaleless poo poo tonight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can someone please advise me on how to get summoned for O&S? I've been dropping my sigil right next to the bonfire. It seems like a nice place to drop it. I've been refreshing it every 4 minutes and I just hit 20 minutes without a summon. Help?

On the plus side, with the parry dagger I can really easily kill these silver knights, netting a cool 4320 souls every short while.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I did have a bit of an embarrassing moment though, I was helping a guy out with the gaping dragon but he didn't realise you could cut the tail off, so I took out my estoc and started slashing away at the tail and got my dumb rear end killed. Fortunately the guy resummoned me on his next go, but we would've got it first time if I'd just stood back and kept on shooting spells.

I cut the tail off that dragon every time I'm summoned for it, annoying that I didn't get it on my normal playthrough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Can someone please advise me on how to get summoned for O&S? I've been dropping my sigil right next to the bonfire. It seems like a nice place to drop it. I've been refreshing it every 4 minutes and I just hit 20 minutes without a summon. Help?

Don't place it there, there's a fog wall immediately after it. Place it at the base of the stairs leading to O&S.

Speaking of bonfires, where's the hidden one in Izalith? I went up the archway root and I'm at the fire statues and I never want to make that run again.

e: Found it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 19, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Thanks. I made the mistake of fully upgrading the Golem Axe because i thought the wind attack was going to make some situations easy, but it didn't work out that way. Guess I'm going to have to kill a whole bunch of Titanite Demons to make that shield. If i'm still playing NG++, i'll just save some to make all the weapons for the achievement.

I think he's referring to using the Crystal Ring Shield. You gain this from Moonlight Butterfly soul, unless you mean you're going to max it out then ignore me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Blurblarbblbl

Some dude disconnected from the game just as the final king came up (could have farted on him and would have won) because one spawned and immediately died for some reason and he probably didn't know they spawn at set increments.

So yeah, moral of the story is: during the Four Kings boss fight, if one dies super fast and if nothing happens for a while, don't worry, that's supposed to happen.

Ninja edit: It's delightful being grossly incandescent. I love this golden phantom stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do you not get the Leo Ring in O&S if you kill O last? Huh.

• Locked thread