Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
A guy just invaded my game on the 360-side, invited me to private chat and then dumped a stack of 99 twin humanities, 99 sun medals, 99 divine blessings and 99 final boss souls on the ground in front of me. He claimed to have gotten them through some sort of hex-editing, presumably with a modded 360. He also had unlimited health.

Also, he claimed he was level 10 and I was 22 when he invaded, so apparently that can happen.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Barudak posted:

If you bought all of his spells he should be located where you meet Seathe for the first time and where the ember is located.
I haven't bought any of his spells. He just escaped his cage and vanished. ...I also have no idea where I first met Seathe. This archive is a maze.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ixjuvin posted:

Yeah, it is also kind of weird that the only giant who actually talks to you - the smith in Anor Londo - is all retard-strength, but one point of data does not a theory make. Or something. Maybe he's a smithing savant like the ENCHANTMENT guy from Dragon Age and all the other giants are intellectuals?

Also dude the witches and their progeny are obviously human-sized (well the parts of them that aren't hideous nightmare spiders) and they had nothing to do with Mr. Piggers so come off it

Not sure why you think that I'm upset by it, but I mean Solaire, Onion dude, the merchants, the undead in the asylum and the burg and New Londo, the corpses in New Londo, they're all the same size you are. Unless all of humanity is the descendent of the pygmy, it wouldn't make much sense to think you are just because the bosses are really big. All I'm saying is that it'd have to be all of humanity, with Anor Londo's pantheon being non-human. Though it does give a new twist to the endings, thinking about it.

Actually, considering you literally forge covenants with these beings that's really obvious giving it a second thought.

quote:

Kaathe says that Gwyn was afraid of humans .

quote:

Then again, it talks about him being ashamed of his "frail" appearance.
That gives a lot more to go on. If you take it as "he's ashamed of how he looks because he's human", that doesn't make much sense. But if you read it as "he's a really tiny giant/God" it makes more sense that he'd hide. Gwynevere's size is him overcompensating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I haven't bought any of his spells. He just escaped his cage and vanished. ...I also have no idea where I first met Seathe. This archive is a maze.

When he leaves his cage he ends up right next door to the room with the staircase leading to the crystal cave and he'll open up shop with some premium sorceries. Buy them all and he'll plan to move on.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How do you get infected with an egg? The egg worms just keep doing a weak attack until I die.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

enojy posted:

I too was disappointed in the endings at first. Then I just came to accept that they hearken back to the old school, much like the game does. Back when games were played for the story contained between start and finish, and the grand ending was a lovely 8-bit graphic that usually said "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU BEAT THE GAME." I wasn't so bummed after making that realization.

I came to accept that it felt like a rushed, budget ending just like Demon's Souls was a bit of a budget game with its own charm. I love both games to death, but From always has this budget feel to their games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

How do you get infected with an egg? The egg worms just keep doing a weak attack until I die.

If you go into the demon ruins the very last two egg carrier cultists should aggro you. Let them do their grab attack (so you can block the other garbage). Afterwards if your character itches their head you are infected.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Barudak posted:

If you go into the demon ruins the very last two egg carrier cultists should aggro you. Let them do their grab attack (so you can block the other garbage). Afterwards if your character itches their head you are infected.

Turn your back on them after you aggro. Guaranteed grapple.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barudak posted:

To be fair to the games plot, you already know what both choices mean and why your characters journey ends pretty much the moment you make your choice.

Although I would like to know if my bro solaire ever became grossly incandescent.

True, but even Demon's Souls got a little cinematic at the end to match it's opening, and I still felt like this game deserved one, too.

I actually think playing back through is necessary to piece the story together. You'll really need to see everything through once to get everything to really start clicking as you play again. I had pretty much forgotten the intro video by the time I finished, but watching it again in light of everything else made it finally ring home with me.

Come to think of it, Solaire not having a real ending probably means he has the happiest ending in the game. He's pretty much the only guy that can survive to see the Age of Fire returned. (other than Patches, I guess).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I don't know, personally I think Demon's Souls had one of the best endings ever. It wasn't some giant expose where everything is forced down the viewer's throat. The good ending in Demon's Souls gave just enough to let you know what was going to happen but still left some mystery in. Great storytelling is telling just enough, not too much or too little. Saying Demon's Souls' ending was just CONGRATULATION! is a bit of a misrepresentation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

True, but even Demon's Souls got a little cinematic at the end to match it's opening, and I still felt like this game deserved one, too.

I actually think playing back through is necessary to piece the story together. You'll really need to see everything through once to get everything to really start clicking as you play again. I had pretty much forgotten the intro video by the time I finished, but watching it again in light of everything else made it finally ring home with me.

Come to think of it, Solaire not having a real ending probably means he has the happiest ending in the game. He's pretty much the only guy that can survive to see the Age of Fire returned. (other than Patches, I guess).

But that would be the bad ending. Solaire better show up in the next game. We are going to have more jolly cooperation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Barudak posted:

When he leaves his cage he ends up right next door to the room with the staircase leading to the crystal cave and he'll open up shop with some premium sorceries. Buy them all and he'll plan to move on.
Thanks, all I could find was "the room next to the room you got the key from," and I couldn't remember where that was. Too bad he has nothing I can use!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Not sure why you think that I'm upset by it, but I mean Solaire, Onion dude, the merchants, the undead in the asylum and the burg and New Londo, the corpses in New Londo, they're all the same size you are. Unless all of humanity is the descendent of the pygmy, it wouldn't make much sense to think you are just because the bosses are really big. All I'm saying is that it'd have to be all of humanity, with Anor Londo's pantheon being non-human. Though it does give a new twist to the endings, thinking about it.

Nah I wasn't upset at you, I was talking at the other guy. Nevermind. We are all engaged in jolly co-operation here!

I think I'm going to put the game down for a while and do... other things until the patch comes out at least. I mostly play PC games and have never really played a 360 game as much as this one before and my hands are starting to hurt from controller-gripping :(

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barudak posted:

But that would be the bad ending. Solaire better show up in the next game. We are going to have more jolly cooperation.

Would it? I thought that was the purpose of linking the fire). . poo poo, I have much less of a grasp on this than I thought. Probably because I mostly just focused on smashing things, and didn't really do too much digging on the plot beyond surface conversations.
Come to think of it, why are there undead at all? Hollow are just essentially soulless undead, but I completely missed the explanation why Undead even really exist and why it seems like a pretty common thing (aside from being a portent of the degeneration of the world). I just hit things with my giant sword and found cool armor. :unsmith:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Well, after a night of trying to group with two separate goons, I think we've nailed down how to group easier with friends. It's still a nightmare, but if you really want to this is probably the easiest way.

We first tried having me drop my soul sign down, and obviously he didn't see it the first time. I then tried quitting to the menu, then reloading my save. This we tried for a good while, and I tried this with another goon and it looks like this does NOT work.

I then tried logging out of PSN, which cakes me out of the game, then logging back in. This is when I could see an immediate sign in the changed messages on the ground. He didn't report seeing it, but apparently the second I attempted to log out of the PSN and back in he saw my sign and had summoned me. So after logging back in, and taking the time to wait, he eventually summoned me. After dying a few times and putting the sign back down, the server sticked for the rest of the run.

So as far as we can tell, the best way is to log out of PSN, while in game so it kicks you out to the main menu, then log back in and reload.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man, I'm now convinced that the sparsity of PvP right now is due to most people leveling really slow.

I started a new character this morning to try out a beefy armor + Zweihander build, and between the start of the game and Sen's Fortress I got Gravelorded 4 times, Dragon Covenant dueled twice, and was invaded pretty much every time I turned human.

It was rad as hell. I beat in a lot of skulls with my Zweihander because holy crap that thing is awesome.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Well after experimentation with Dawnfire tonight, we found out that you need to log out of PSN and log back in to switch servers, not just quit the game and reload it. Not sure if we're the only ones who thought otherwise, but thought I would share. So if you're having trouble connecting to someone or not getting summoned, try that.

Edit: Well I'm too slow

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Welp gently caress from for the smough and ornstein fight this game is no longer any fun and gently caress microsoft for not allowing me to move my saves to my live account so I could get some help with it. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

Would it? I thought that was the purpose of linking the fire). . poo poo, I have much less of a grasp on this than I thought. Probably because I mostly just focused on smashing things, and didn't really do too much digging on the plot beyond surface conversations.
Come to think of it, why are there undead at all? Hollow are just essentially soulless undead, but I completely missed the explanation why Undead even really exist and why it seems like a pretty common thing (aside from being a portent of the degeneration of the world). I just hit things with my giant sword and found cool armor. :unsmith:

Spoilers about the ending follows, but if you didn't and plan to play again talk to Kaathe.

Linking the flame just maintains the status quo of the dying world that Gwyn built a little bit longer. A world where the dead roam the earth sustained by fires that feed on humanity. The dead are rising because the bonfires give and restore their life and the reason the flames are dwindling is probably because there aren't very man humans left.

You however, are a descendant of the pygmy who was the inheritor of the dark soul. If you do not light the final bonfire you will end the age of Fire and the other gods who ruled over man and begin the age of mankind. Look at what Gwyn did to New Londo and the humans living there when they tried to oppose him

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Palleon posted:

Well after experimentation with Dawnfire tonight, we found out that you need to log out of PSN and log back in to switch servers, not just quit the game and reload it. Not sure if we're the only ones who thought otherwise, but thought I would share. So if you're having trouble connecting to someone or not getting summoned, try that.

Edit: Well I'm too slow

I'm just sorry I kept falling off like a moron. I swear I didn't fall off ONCE when I was doing it solo.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Barudak posted:

Spoilers about the ending follows, but if you didn't and plan to play again talk to Kaathe.

Linking the flame just maintains the status quo of the dying world that Gwyn built a little bit longer. A world where the dead roam the earth sustained by fires that feed on humanity. The dead are rising because the bonfires give and restore their life and the reason the flames are dwindling is probably because there aren't very man humans left.

You however, are a descendant of the pygmy who was the inheritor of the dark soul. If you do not light the final bonfire you will end the age of Fire and the other gods who ruled over man and begin the age of mankind. Look at what Gwyn did to New Londo and the humans living there when they tried to oppose him

Oh I see. I guess there's always the next playthrough to see the other way. I never even knew about Kaathe until after I had already spoken to Frampt

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 20, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
uhhhh I'm pretty sure the four kings who fell to dark are bad???? They also exist in a place called the abyss and have death knights take people's souls?

I'm pretty sure (plot) gwyn lost his title as lord of sunlight because he's the only thing keeping everything, even humanity, from becoming mindless slobbering undead by doing what he does but the plot is pretty open to interpretation so who cares???

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Legit use for Fog ring #2: Hydras. I'm going through Ash Lake completely undisturbed.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Hell Diver posted:

It seems to me that the Undead are possibly a direct result of sustaining the power of the Lords via the First Flame. You feed the bonfires your own humanity the whole game through. The kindling of the Flame is humanity itself. Suppose the Fire was passively leeching humanity from the living and then the undead for fuel. As the population began to go Hollow the Flame would have less and less sources to draw from, becoming weaker. Possibly trying to draw more, hence the darksign appearing more and more.

e: this game is a metaphor for our overuse of fossil fuels. thread over.
ee: as to why undead happen at all... who the gently caress knows? If we go with my above hypothesis maybe those who have had all their humanity sucked out are branded with the darksign through their contact with the fire?? There is no real explanation in the game that I could find. Speaking of things with no explanations, nothing ever mentions the crow right? It's just sort of... there.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 20, 2011

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Seriously is there a way to cheese the ornstein and smough fight offline? I'm about an inch away from snapping the disc in half.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea the plot's open enough where many interpretations of what's actually happening in each of the endings is possible so that's pretty cool. You'll have to excuse me though if I think helping a guy called Kaathe who lives in a place called the abyss would do anything except dooming anyone who's currently alive in this universe.

Two things are certain though. Catarina is a pimp place to be from and Nito is forever chill in his domain of death :whatup:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Snuggly just seems to be a particularly cool crow demon. She's also the best NPC.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Macksy posted:

Seriously is there a way to cheese the ornstein and smough fight offline? I'm about an inch away from snapping the disc in half.

If it's that bad, take a break and pick it up some other time. When you come back you'll be a lot calmer and might be able to manage the fight better.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Macksy posted:

It's possible but difficult to get Smough stuck against a pillar if you fight right up their end of the room in that little enclosure. Ornstein drops like a bitch if you 1v1 him, but really the fight is just patience - Can you see Smough and Ornstein is vulnerable? Yes > Attack Once (Twice if you're feeling brave/have a fast weapon) No > Reposition, wait. Powered up Smough is easy as gently caress to take out, just circle strafe him and back away when he jumps (Be careful with rolling when he does as it breaks your lockon and can just roll you into his electric bomb). I did it solo melee and it took me five minutes after the thirty retries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macksy posted:

Kite Orenstein around the room and when its only Smough left stab him with a fire or lightning weapon. His attacks are easy to dodge and he takes extra fire damage and has no resistance to lightning.

Alternately while its still broken you could cast magic shield or whatever its called and be invulnerable for 30 seconds while you pound Smoughs face into the dirt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That fight seems like a walk in the park compared to this giant loving fire demon in the Demon Ruins. He runs my poo poo in hard core, I can barely get close to him before he explodes in flames. His reach is insane too, gently caress. A new plateau of frustration hits.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Wear light armor and circle strafe him. That's literally all you have to do.

Oh wait which fire demon lol?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

Upgrade the lightning spear and go for Smough, he is very weak to lightning. Keep smough between you and dragonslayer, but DO NOT get greedy. Keep in mind that Dragonslayer can stab through smough and hit you just fine so time your strikes around that.

As for the second part of the fight, constantly stay under his feet with shield up and circle-strafe as best you can whenever he's winding up for big stabs. If he leaps up, quickly roll away. If you're heavy, just step back and have your shield up.

Anywho, guys, I beat gwyn. By myself. No magic, no heavy armor. The fire-resist ring helps tremendously and reducing through-shield fire damage from his blade. It took tons of patience but if I just timed attacks between his tiny spots of vulnerability and kept some distance the fight became formulaic.

Seeing him turn to ash was the best thing ever.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crowbear posted:

Man, I'm now convinced that the sparsity of PvP right now is due to most people leveling really slow.

I started a new character this morning to try out a beefy armor + Zweihander build, and between the start of the game and Sen's Fortress I got Gravelorded 4 times, Dragon Covenant dueled twice, and was invaded pretty much every time I turned human.

It was rad as hell. I beat in a lot of skulls with my Zweihander because holy crap that thing is awesome.

It's pretty easy to get most of that stuff by the time you hit Sen's Fortress.

I have noticed that people level ridiculously slow though. When I was fighting four kings I was getting summoned by people fighting them on their NG+.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
drat, I would have had Seath easily on the first try if I had known that all of the clam monsters that I ran past on the way were going to warp into the fight with me and completely block me into the path of the boss's attacks. Then I was knocked off of a crystal bridge blocking an attack by a golem on the way back. :negative:

The stuff in the Duke's Archives seemed to hit really hard for some reason, even the snake men were a lot beefier than they were in Sen's Fortress. I might have ventured in there too early? Also hit up the Great Hollow and Ash Lake after that, pretty cool area for something that's totally optional.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Elysiume posted:

Go back and one will be there. Hit A. Also, they're more like weird, scrawny gargoyles than birds.

Jesus, thought you were having a go at me. Thanks for the help!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've started a new character and I've hit a bit of confusion at the gargoyle battle, I wanted to summon Solaire to make the fight a breeze and I'm in human form but his summoning sign is not there. I've spoken to him and received the white soapstone, is there anything else I need to trigger?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The stuff in the Duke's Archives seemed to hit really hard for some reason, even the snake men were a lot beefier than they were in Sen's Fortress. I might have ventured in there too early? Also hit up the Great Hollow and Ash Lake after that, pretty cool area for something that's totally optional.

Yeah those are pretty much the hardest hitting enemies in the game, it's pretty absurd. A hit or two and you look at your health meter and "oh look at that, half of one bar left. :negative:"

You didn't go too early, they are supposed to be dangerous as hell.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Dr. Abysmal posted:

drat, I would have had Seath easily on the first try if I had known that all of the clam monsters that I ran past on the way were going to warp into the fight with me and completely block me into the path of the boss's attacks. Then I was knocked off of a crystal bridge blocking an attack by a golem on the way back. :negative:

Seath is a pretty easy kill unless you're going for his tail, the really hard part of the boss fight is actually getting to him. And yeah, the stuff in all three endgame zones is pretty loving beefy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah those are pretty much the hardest hitting enemies in the game, it's pretty absurd. A hit or two and you look at your health meter and "oh look at that, half of one bar left. :negative:"

You didn't go too early, they are supposed to be dangerous as hell.

This game always gets me when identical monsters vary in strength. Throw me a palette-swapped bone here!

• Locked thread