Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nickoten posted:

It's also to block. I tried using Havel's Shield, too, but not having enough strength made me take a long time to put my shield up. Not sure if it works perfectly other than taking long to get up, though.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Guess I'll just get up to 32 strength and use the Artorias shield instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

Ugh I killed Shiva to get the ring and the bodyguard backstabbed me and killed me, and when I went back he's gone. I guess I'm screwed out of my flippy ring?

VVVV Sup bro we got the same problem :3

This was a few pages back, but you can still get your ring if you killed shiva but ate it from his BG in blighttown. If you go back to the cat covenant dude the ninja will have spawned in his original spot (downstairs from cat and around the left side of the building).

Again if you kill Shiva and not bodyguard you are NOT screwed out of the ring, just go back to the ninja's original spawn in the forest.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I got myself a crystal ring shield last night. I have never had more fun than whipping that thing around. It also seems that invaders never see it coming either!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rerolled as a pyro last night and made it to the red dragon before logging for the night. Okay, I rage quit when the rats underneath the bridge knocked me off the ledge.
I think my biggest problem is trying to go too quickly. I really need to take my time. Running through Demons Souls multiple times has made me cocky and too comfortable. Dark Souls is a whole knew level of pain.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I'm thinking of starting a new game so I can play this on my live account, but I don't know what kinda dude I want to make. My previous guy was melee with some pyro thrown in, and I do like melee so I'm sticking with that. Does melee with some sorcery sound good, or would it be gimped once I'm not low leveled?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I got a quick question about Power Within. If I use it with a bleed weapon does the bleed amount increase or even the damage increase from bleed?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Got invaded just out of the second bonfire in Catacombs last night. I died, but it was pretty cool - the guy looked down at me and bowed, and I bowed back, and then he jumped down to the bridge I was standing on and we fought. He had the gravelord sword, I had Queelag's, so tbh we were pretty evenly matched.

His hits were meatier and I wasn't wearing my poise gear; it was a short, but good fight. Always nice seeing someone beat me fairly and then bow while I faaaaade awaaaaay.

This experience has taught me every invasion should end up with a fight on a narrow bridge. That was pretty boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Macksy posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new game so I can play this on my live account, but I don't know what kinda dude I want to make. My previous guy was melee with some pyro thrown in, and I do like melee so I'm sticking with that. Does melee with some sorcery sound good, or would it be gimped once I'm not low leveled?
No melee is gimped when you consider elemental weapons. Just don't go beyond 16 strength, as you need as much int and some attunement to make Sorcery really click. One of the biggest problems will probably be your lower than average vit/end though as you start to jack your int up, but magic is pretty great for demolishing most things. It does suck when you get two shotted though!

I used a rapier for much of the early game, opting to not bother with Drake just cause. Still did fine. Rapier+5 is surprisingly pretty good. Eventually switched to a Baldur Side Sword later on in the game.

Pope Mobile posted:

Rerolled as a pyro last night and made it to the red dragon before logging for the night. Okay, I rage quit when the rats underneath the bridge knocked me off the ledge.
I think my biggest problem is trying to go too quickly. I really need to take my time. Running through Demons Souls multiple times has made me cocky and too comfortable. Dark Souls is a whole knew level of pain.
Don't sweat it. I consider myself pretty decent at this game and even I died to those particular rats at least 3 times when I was rushing through that area as a beginner. Sometimes they just chain stagger you straight off the ledge and hilariously follow you down into the great beyond.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Did I shoot myself in the foot for being stupid? I did the dragon head glitch to get millions of souls and leveled up to 214. I didn't think to put much in faith so I have around 30 in that department. I don't know how I'm supposed to join the sun covenant now. :(

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere in Lost Izalith. Tell me I missed it and just have to look better.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

doomfunk posted:

Got invaded just out of the second bonfire in Catacombs last night. I died, but it was pretty cool - the guy looked down at me and bowed, and I bowed back, and then he jumped down to the bridge I was standing on and we fought. He had the gravelord sword, I had Queelag's, so tbh we were pretty evenly matched.

His hits were meatier and I wasn't wearing my poise gear; it was a short, but good fight. Always nice seeing someone beat me fairly and then bow while I faaaaade awaaaaay.

This experience has taught me every invasion should end up with a fight on a narrow bridge. That was pretty boss.

I wish people bowed to me when they invaded. I would use that precious time to run behind them and backstab them.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Holiday mms posted:

So I restarted my character after getting overly frustrated banging my head against the Capra Demon.. And now I breezed right through the first few bosses and am about to fight moonlight moth or whatever.

I have 40k souls on me (not sure how I want to level, or what builds are even viable) and 6 humanity.
This makes me essentially terrified to play this game at all! I don't know what I am doing! But I am having fun.

Any tips for Moonlight or Capra Demon?

For Capra, if you have the Hollow Soldier Shield then level it up to +5 and when you enter the arena his big swinging attack can be blocked without taking a point of damage to your health bar. Then start heading up the stairs, take out the dogs when they come to you, and from that point on you can do jump-down attacks on him for massive damage.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, for some reason rats chew through shield endurance about as fast as dogs do. I guess it's the similar size, but early on those guys in that cramped room under the bridge can be rough. I also consider myself pretty good at the game and I know I've died to them more than a few times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been reading that it's way better to go Elemental weapons and skip leveling STR and DEX rather than pump a lot into them, is that true? Just want to know if I should basically not upgrade my weapons until I find a good elemental one or what

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've been reading that it's way better to go Elemental weapons and skip leveling STR and DEX rather than pump a lot into them, is that true? Just want to know if I should basically not upgrade my weapons until I find a good elemental one or what

Yeah just level up your str/dex to meet the requirements of the weapon you want to use.

Also you don't find that many elemental weapons, you just upgrade your weapons to whatever you want.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Stiggs posted:

I wish people bowed to me when they invaded. I would use that precious time to run behind them and backstab them.

Nah, everyone who bows does it from a backstab-safe distance.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

doomfunk posted:

Yeah, for some reason rats chew through shield endurance about as fast as dogs do.

They also break high poise pretty easily. They are deceptively tough if they start chaining attacks or swarm you.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Risky posted:

Did I shoot myself in the foot for being stupid? I did the dragon head glitch to get millions of souls and leveled up to 214. I didn't think to put much in faith so I have around 30 in that department. I don't know how I'm supposed to join the sun covenant now. :(

Every co-op assist you do successfully drops the requirement by 5 point. I joined with a faith level of 8.

Then again, at that level you probably won't get summoned often...

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Risky posted:

You should be ashamed for what you've done and deserve this. Why don't you just take advantage of that glitch some more and up your faith?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Toiwat posted:

So I joined the Daughters of Chaos and donated 30 humanities. I got my pyromancy. Now where the hell is my shortcut.

Edit: Also, Eingyi doesn't really seem any more friendly than he was before, even though I have the ring and can speak with Quelaag's sister.

About Eingyi, he won't be friendly until you have an egg on your head. Go to the demon ruins and aggro one of the egg bearers and get it to do a grapple on you. If your character starts scratching their head after that, you're infected. Wait for the egg to pop out and talk to Eingyi again. He'll be your bro now and give you an item to remove the egg.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Wow, so thinking that the crest shield would save me from that star magic was slightly to extremely dumb. The one with the 5 stars that fire at you at once. That drained pretty much all of my health.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Can you cast magic/crystal weapon on unique weapons?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Zain posted:

Wow, so thinking that the crest shield would save me from that star magic was slightly to extremely dumb. The one with the 5 stars that fire at you at once. That drained pretty much all of my health.

Roll under that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Macksy posted:

Can you cast magic/crystal weapon on unique weapons?

Nope, only normal/raw weapons.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

RADmadness posted:

Sniper Crossbow...

It has a range of 70, but lock on range is <40. Either there is a crossbow zoom function like with bows, or it's one of the most most redundant wepaons around. How do I make use of this weapon?

Help me out here, because I actually like the bows in this game. They do lovely damage at first but upgrade amazingly well and my +5 raw longbow hits for ~140 against knights in Anor Londo from a safe distance.

You can line up your shot using the zoom on a bow or binoculars and then switch back to your sniper crossbow and take the shot. This works with magic too! :eng101:

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Just wondering, if I switch covenants, do I loose all my ranks in my previous one if I want to rejoin late?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How do I get through that shortcut in the lower undead burg that's boarded up? I've tried hacking it, rolling it and burning it and nothing does the trick. Do I have to approach it from the other side?

Another question: can I cast magic weapon on a bow?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stiggs posted:

Yeah just level up your str/dex to meet the requirements of the weapon you want to use.

Also you don't find that many elemental weapons, you just upgrade your weapons to whatever you want.

Yeah but I remember hearing you find a Lightning Spear. I have a Winged Spear and don't want to waste all the souls and materials upgrading if it's gonna be more or less the same.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 20, 2011

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, killing Priscilla was such a bummer. I kinda felt like that angsty teenage rear end in a top hat from Shadow of the Colossus.

"Here's something beautiful and haunting pleading to live... STABBING TIME!"

Especially when you realize why you were drawn into her world in the first place.

Really cool fight though, if a bit easy. I really liked the gimmick.

Is the Golem Axe any good? I made one and just looking at the stats (can't 1-hand it yet), it kinda sucks.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Yeah but I remember hearing you find a Lightning Spear. I have a Winged Spear and don't want to waste all the souls and materials upgrading if it's gonna be more or less the same.

Lightning Winged Spear is slightly better than a regular Lightning Spear. It's really up to you to choose which you want, but as lightning weapons outclass everything else so much, it'll probably be your go-to weapon until the last boss anyhow so you might as well go for the somewhat better version.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

You can line up your shot using the zoom on a bow or binoculars and then switch back to your sniper crossbow and take the shot. This works with magic too! :eng101:

I still don't get why the longest range weapon in the game (90 range with red feather bolts) has a scope attached to it but not the ability to use said scope. I was told that it increases your lock on range to 70/90 but that was a load of bull. Or 90 is a pretty short distance.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

It will be more or less the same (not enough of a stat difference to really matter) so unless you really really like the winged spear that much better, don't bother. Especially considering the place to upgrade it is past the point that you find the lightning spear anyway

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I never really looked into spells before now, and I have a question

Shouldn't pyromancy have a stat tied to it? Having a separate item that you can upgrade means that you can put tons of souls to it and not increase your level at all. Then you can go PvP dudes who are much weaker even though you are the same level as them.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Minorkos posted:

I never really looked into spells before now, and I have a question

Shouldn't pyromancy have a stat tied to it? Having a separate item that you can upgrade means that you can put tons of souls to it and not increase your level at all. Then you can go PvP dudes who are much weaker even though you are the same level as them.

It does, but not until you upgrade the poo poo out of the flame item. (intelligence)

You can have respectable pyromancy with poo poo intelligence though, making it great for hybrid characters.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
Once I got my eagle shield to +10 and lightning spear to +5 (level 45) I find it a LOT easier / more reliable to just kill all the guys behind the forest door than to have them run off the cliff.

Also, gripe about the Eagle Shield - you CANNOT parry with it, I'm pretty sure. Rather than parrying its L2 is actually a super slow stun / attack - might be useful if I could master its timing, but for something that's so short range its difficult to time.

(I sat outside of the church fighting those 250 hps skeletons, trying to parry their attacks, for a good 5 minutes while using all my estus flasks and scratching my head .. but yeah, I've verified that you cannot parry with it via other means)

Awesome shield otherwise.

sizerp fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 20, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I got really tired of my Pyromancer (melee was too weak and I felt like relying on fire magic was a crutch) so I started on a Warrior and I'm absolutely crushing poo poo. I got up through Capra Demon in no time at all and my only death before him was when I sacrificed myself to get the fire soul in Londo.

So now I'm running around with a +5 Halberd just wrecking poo poo. That's much better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thundercracker posted:

Man, killing Priscilla was such a bummer. I kinda felt like that angsty teenage rear end in a top hat from Shadow of the Colossus.

"Here's something beautiful and haunting pleading to live... STABBING TIME!"

Especially when you realize why you were drawn into her world in the first place.

Really cool fight though, if a bit easy. I really liked the gimmick.

Is the Golem Axe any good? I made one and just looking at the stats (can't 1-hand it yet), it kinda sucks.

I wonder if you can drop the doll from the asylum or not.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

It will be more or less the same (not enough of a stat difference to really matter) so unless you really really like the winged spear that much better, don't bother. Especially considering the place to upgrade it is past the point that you find the lightning spear anyway

Oh ok, that's basically what I wanted to hear thanks. I'll try to upgrade my shield instead then.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

What turned out to be the deal with the pendant? I had heard that it was related to Priscilla, but after two passes through talking to her until she wouldn't talk to me anymore and then killing her, I traded it to the crow for... an item I could have gotten easily and had no use for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Has anyone on Xbox come up with the 30 souls needed to get to Rank 2 in the Daughters of Chaos covenant? If so, how did you get that much humanity? I'm having no luck with co-op or invasions, and rat farming hasn't turned up anything either.

• Locked thread