Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Seriously though why the gently caress does my 78+12 cestus do 12 damage but my 93+7 club does over 100?? gently caress this game, patch the poo poo out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Polite Tim posted:

Why do I get the feeling that FROM have pulled a Cavia, having something so unsuspecting makes the player assume importance and then it does gently caress all. I could have had something bitchin' as my gift like some black firebombs, instead of a lovely pendant.

Although now I'm envisioning a horrific collaboration between the two studios. Grinding Eagle Eggs, then when you get enough you get your eyes pecked out and delevelled

It didn't help that the director recommended the pendant as the starting gift.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

signalnoise posted:

Seriously though why the gently caress does my 78+12 cestus do 12 damage but my 93+7 club does over 100?? gently caress this game, patch the poo poo out of it

They might do different types of damage, and the enemy is resistant to the cestus's type.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
How the hell do you get to the second bonfire in the Catacombs? I even have the loving FP guide and can't make heads or tells of it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How much does Pyro flame cost to upgrade? Can't find info on that in the guide of on the wiki.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

signalnoise posted:

That's actually one thing that's disappointed me in this game. I was hoping they'd expand on the fist weapons.

Noxville posted:

How much does Pyro flame cost to upgrade? Can't find info on that in the guide of on the wiki.

What level are you at? It's 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 and when you get up to 15+ it's 25k 25k 27k 30k then 40k

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

With all this talk of pyromancies, I'm wondering - is From going to fix the ones that are supposed to scale with humanity?

Tycho
Dec 14, 2002

ColdCock posted:

How the hell do you get to the second bonfire in the Catacombs? I even have the loving FP guide and can't make heads or tells of it.

You come out of a tunnel and to your right is a long bridge towards a large U shaped canyon with skeletons directly before the titanite demon. To your left are a bunch of spike trap statues and a ladder up to a switch you push. Directly to the left of the ladder is a false wall guarded by a spike trap. The bonfire is in that false wall...

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ColdCock posted:

The switch to rotate the second bridge is up a ladder. The bonfire is past a false wall next to this ladder.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zain posted:

I have, when are you doing another stream?

Couple hours or so, maybe less. I'll post here when I start. Glad someone's getting some enjoyment out of it. :D

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

waspinator posted:

Couple hours or so, maybe less. I'll post here when I start. Glad someone's getting some enjoyment out of it. :D

I was initially going to do one as well, but then noticed how much of a pain in the rear end it is.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Zain posted:

What level are you at? It's 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 and when you get up to 15+ it's 25k 25k 27k 30k then 40k

Haven't started yet, was wondering how many times I should do the Gaping Dragon before running back to upgrade as much as that first guy can.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Could someone give me some advice on being human once in awhile without getting crushed by invaders? I'm SL 29, still in the Depths, just using the Drake Sword along with some leather armor to stay fast and a +5 Hollow Soldier Shield. I've been doing fine in the main game but invaders generally destroy me. Is there any way to run around as a human without doing all the minmaxing crap? I just want to have fun being a fast little jerk and summon some dudes sometimes. :smith:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

RBA Starblade posted:

They might do different types of damage, and the enemy is resistant to the cestus's type.

Its just a loving skeleton

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is a lightning flamberge a terrible idea? I have it at +2 and it only does about 100 damage to other players. And somehow getting hit 3 times with it doesn't break their poise and then I get killed by magic or a sword attack that does about 400 damage to me. It also doesn't seem great against regular enemies. I feel like I was doing better with my Drake Sword +3. Are the silver knights in Anor Londo strong against lightning, or something? Does it not show up in the damage number?

Are any of the big weapons faster? Part of the problem is that it seems to take much longer for me to get my shield back up after a swing. I also have a +10 Zweihander (but only 20 strength right now) and a +10 Iaito that I could make lightning if it would be better.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Anonononomous posted:

Is a lightning flamberge a terrible idea? I have it at +2 and it only does about 100 damage to other players. And somehow getting hit 3 times with it doesn't break their poise and then I get killed by magic or a sword attack that does about 400 damage to me. It also doesn't seem great against regular enemies. I feel like I was doing better with my Drake Sword +3.

Are any of the big weapons faster? Part of the problem is that it seems to take much longer for me to get my shield back up after a swing.

Fastest 'big' weapon you might find is the washing pole, but it's not that big. It's pretty fast though for it's range. Halberds are pretty fast considering their range, but their main attack is a thrust which is relatively useless in pvp. You could try normal 2 handers like the claymore, they're not as slow as others but also aren't AS big as other super giant weapons.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

signalnoise posted:

Think about it for a minute. A blade on a fist weapon, or a giant bludgeoning weapon, against a skeleton. Skeletons don't have any flesh. Skeletons are damaged most by bashing them to smithereens. It makes sense.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

signalnoise posted:

You can't just punch a skeleton bro you should know that.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

signalnoise posted:

Skeletons are resistant to slashing and pierce damage, far as I know. :)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I was running past Havel because I wanted to reclaim my body. Turns out there's one less flight of stairs than I thought! Hey there, YOU DIED

Do black firebombs deal enough damage to Havel to make it worth my while?
e: Or Black Knights? On my other character I still have them, and I figure I might as well use them on this one.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 20, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
It's really hard to throw things at Havel between animations because he attacks fast if you don't move around. By the time you get the bomb off he'll probably be bringing that club down on your skull.

Black knights are the same way, if you stand still they'll just lay into you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yodzilla posted:

You can't just punch a skeleton bro you should know that.

He's right, slashing and strike damage don't do poo poo to those guys.

Bash 'em, crush 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Noxville posted:

Haven't started yet, was wondering how many times I should do the Gaping Dragon before running back to upgrade as much as that first guy can.

I'm sure one Gaping Dragon kill will level it up 5 levels right away then I'd say in total do like 10?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Vatek posted:

It's really hard to throw things at Havel between animations because he attacks fast if you don't move around. By the time you get the bomb off he'll probably be bringing that club down on your skull.

Black knights are the same way, if you stand still they'll just lay into you.
If I can get soul arrows off on Havel while avoiding his attacks, people can throw black bombs at him.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
How good are the lightning bolts you get from the sunlight covenant? I'm thinking of doing melee tank who can throw some lightnang baltz.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So! In all of the previews of this game, the previewers said "you have a few options at the start—New Londo ruins, the Catacombs, or the Undead Burg. Most people will choose the Undead Burg because the others are hard."

One of my big disappointments is that it seems like the Catacombs and New Londo are basically impossible to begin with. Has any goon successfully started with the Catacombs? Is it even possible to begin with New Londo? If not, why didn't they lock it off with a one-way door, like so many other areas? Is it just to create the false impression of an open world?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

I was running past Havel because I wanted to reclaim my body. Turns out there's one less flight of stairs than I thought! Hey there, YOU DIED

Do black firebombs deal enough damage to Havel to make it worth my while?
e: Or Black Knights? On my other character I still have them, and I figure I might as well use them on this one.

Try using a heavy shield on him if you can manage the weight, most heavy shields have enough stability to actually take a block from him if you're having trouble dodging. If you have pyromancy though he's laughably easy. Dance around him beyond his max range and when he rushes you and tries to make a swing, step back then ready up a fireball. Toss, laugh as he burns alive in two.

Edit: @Polo-Rican: They're possible, though probably only if you have pyromancy or spells, or rushed to Undead Burg and grabbed the drake sword. But, I think in reality the game made thos specifically harder so that you do not go that way yet as they really are not meant to be transversed. The Catacombs end up to be a dead end, as you can end up stuck in the area beyond I believe. Anor Londo's boss is unreachable until you get an item from later on as well. So your only REAL option is Undead burg.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I honestly have no idea where the Catacombs are so I couldn't try it even if I wanted too.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Rascyc posted:

If I can get soul arrows off on Havel while avoiding his attacks, people can throw black bombs at him.

I got a hollow shield early on and barely upgraded it with a few shards, as well as getting a few levels in endurance (I think I had like 12). I could block his attacks just fine. The rest was just backstabbing him over and over until he died.

Polo-Rican posted:

So! In all of the previews of this game, the previewers said "you have a few options at the start—New Londo ruins, the Catacombs, or the Undead Burg. Most people will choose the Undead Burg because the others are hard."

One of my big disappointments is that it seems like the Catacombs and New Londo are basically impossible to begin with. Has any goon successfully started with the Catacombs? Is it even possible to begin with New Londo? If not, why didn't they lock it off with a one-way door, like so many other areas? Is it just to create the false impression of an open world?

You could do it, you'd just have to go there to suicide run your way through to grab items, or go to other areas to twink your character (farming the hunters from the forest covenant and then upgrading your pyromancy glove comes to mind) and then go to those areas. Even if an area is completely out of your league you can get some useful loot for going through the trouble.

apple fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2011

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Zain posted:

I honestly have no idea where the Catacombs are so I couldn't try it even if I wanted too.

The graveyard on the otherside of the church in firelink. Follow the main path through the graveyard but stay to the left. There's a staircase right on the side of the cliff, it's easy to miss and you can fall off the cliff if you're not careful.

You'll get your poo poo pushed in by skeletons though if you're not ready for them.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Polo-Rican posted:

Grab the Morning Star from the chest stash in Firelink and wreck skeletons methodically.

The issue with starting in the Catacombs is that Skeletons don't grant souls, so you're not rewarded for your harder work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

Try using a heavy shield on him if you can manage the weight, most heavy shields have enough durability to actually take a block from him if you're having trouble dodging. If you have pyromancy though he's laughably easy. Dance around him beyond his max range and when he rushes you and tries to make a swing, step back then ready up a fireball. Toss, laugh as he burns alive in two.
I'm level 3 and didn't have much; I used arrows and the Black Firebombs. They did 75 each, which made it quicker, but that's not great. I now have a Grass Crest Shield and a Havel's Ring, so that's cool, though.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Polo-Rican posted:

You are not meant to be in New Londo or the Catacombs right off the bat. There are lots of areas you can access in the game that will kill your rear end repeatedly if you are not prepared to be there. The impression's not false...the world is open and later on you have many choices in areas to go to, but the beginning of the game is intended to lead you into Undead Burg. There's a very clear progression path in the early parts of the game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sentrygun posted:

Grab the Morning Star from the chest stash in Firelink and wreck skeletons methodically.

This doesn't really work, does it? When I first started the game, I went right to the graveyard and got reamed by those guys. My cleric mace smashed them to bits in one hit, but they just kept getting back up. Is it really feasible for a starting character to make it through the catacombs with a dozen skeletons constantly chasing them?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Phenotype posted:

This doesn't really work, does it? When I first started the game, I went right to the graveyard and got reamed by those guys. My cleric mace smashed them to bits in one hit, but they just kept getting back up. Is it really feasible for a starting character to make it through the catacombs with a dozen skeletons constantly chasing them?

If they get back up then they weren't dead to begin with. Watch their health bars.

hawkbucketz
Sep 2, 2011

Fun!

Macksy posted:

How good are the lightning bolts you get from the sunlight covenant? I'm thinking of doing melee tank who can throw some lightnang baltz.
You need a lot of faith to use them, and they're not really as good as comparable magic or pyromancy spells. But by themselves they're pretty useful.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Cosmik Debris posted:

If they get back up then they weren't dead to begin with. Watch their health bars.

Skeletons can't be killed...

Not without a divine weapon or by killing their controlling necromancer first.

Though they do take more damage from blunt weapons. Even if you reduce them to -1000 hit points they will get back up.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

sentrygun posted:

The issue with starting in the Catacombs is that Skeletons don't grant souls, so you're not rewarded for your harder work.

Even New Londo Ruins is doable right off the bat, up until obtaining the key to the seal and unlocking the rest of the ruins anyway. Aside from that, the question would be whether it's worth looting the area and probably dying a lot to ghosts chasing you around.

oneliquidninja posted:

Skeletons can't be killed...

Not without a divine weapon or by killing their controlling necromancer first.

Though they do take more damage from blunt weapons. Even if you reduce them to -1000 hit points they will get back up.

Astora's straight sword was divine I believe? You'd just need the mystery key to grab it, and meet the requirements.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phenotype posted:

Yes because they stop respawning when you kill the necromancer.

I imagine the reason they say you can go into those 3 areas at the start is not only are they connected to Firelink, but also have blacksmiths. The New Londo entry area is actually not terrible for quick soul farming plus you get an estoc, but yeah you can't even finish New Londo until later so maybe the ghosts would be more of a lesson than an experience.

Catacombs on the understand I could totally believe. Pinwheel is a huge joke and the room before him is much harder than the boss to be realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Im having a hard time trading items with the crow? I place the stuff in his nest but when i log back in i don't get anything?

Orcrez fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 20, 2011

• Locked thread