Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

einTier posted:

I see a lot of members being kicked out of the lljk club. What's going on? I've been busy with work and haven't been able to keep up with the thread.

Also, apologies to those who keep requesting me to race and I keep rejecting. I usually power through the game first, then start doing multiplayer stuff. So it's going to be a bit before I'm hardcore racing with goons again.

LLJK got culled of suspected non-goons (and a couple of goons by accident :ssh:).

If you're getting invited, it could just be club invites. Don't feel bad about not accepting them; we all do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It is literally just one button someone in the lobby presses that invites everyone from the club who is online. Half the time you don't even see/know more than 3 of the gamertags you're inviting.

I felt kinda bad about it at first, but, it's not like they say "HEY EVERYONE BUT BUTTS CAME! OFF WITH HIS HEAD"

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I felt a little guilty until I realized that every time I joined - quitting doing whatever I was in the middle of - it was some loving gimmick race in Hummers or some ridiculously stupid car in the garage. So I quit the club. Ha.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I am absolutely loving the autocross mode, partly because it gives me an excuse to find the lightest cars I can and do every mod I can fit under the PI cap for a given rivals challenge that reduces weight / increases grip. Adjust the gearing so I top out at ~110 in sixth and bam, top 100 times.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Minimaul posted:

I felt a little guilty until I realized that every time I joined - quitting doing whatever I was in the middle of - it was some loving gimmick race in Hummers or some ridiculously stupid car in the garage. So I quit the club. Ha.

I don't mind a gimmick here or there. It is completely understandable, though, how someone would want to quit when all of the events are variations on the theme: "Hey let's see how far we can go on Fujumi Kaido uphill in Hummers with 75% grip taken out." and no one ever finishes the race.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, I can do some soccer or cat and mouse here and there. But it was just gimmick after gimmick after gimmick and I got bored and annoyed. I'm sure it'll settle down once the novelty wears off.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
It feels a little cheap when I park in front of the finish line and wait 10 seconds for my rivals ghost to catch up just before I tap the gas and cross the finish. I wonder if anyone has gone against one of my ghosts just to find my car sitting by the finish waiting for them V:confused:V

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

crazkylo posted:

It feels a little cheap when I park in front of the finish line and wait 10 seconds for my rivals ghost to catch up just before I tap the gas and cross the finish. I wonder if anyone has gone against one of my ghosts just to find my car sitting by the finish waiting for them V:confused:V

There's someone out there who's been racing your time for hours on end, screaming horrible curses on your name for your taunting.

gg

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What shape did you use to make that carbon fibre fiber pattern?

It's on my storefront. It's just a bunch of lines.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Minimaul posted:

I did the same thing. Every time I tried to race with goons it was always some silly gimmick or someone was blasting Lady Gaga through their microphone the entire race.

I don't mind this stuff once in a while but it gets old fast when it happens time after time. Hopefully after the Goonrush ends there will be some semi-serious business.

Bodacious Bagel
Jul 28, 2010
This is probably a dumb question but where can I find the amount of down force a car is producing? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Minimaul posted:

Yeah, I can do some soccer or cat and mouse here and there. But it was just gimmick after gimmick after gimmick and I got bored and annoyed. I'm sure it'll settle down once the novelty wears off.

What was this in, LLJK? The GISH races I've been in (I've put a good 5+ hours online racing in the last few days) have been really good, lots of variety.. maybe 15% dicking around but the rest has been some serious racing.

Protip: anybody who's racing online without a mic.. you need to get one. It makes it 1000% better (and lets you chime in when it comes time to picking the next race).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bodacious Bagel posted:

This is probably a dumb question but where can I find the amount of down force a car is producing? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If you go into tuning, and then RB your way all the way right to "Aero", it'll show you. You can only change it if you have the race aero added (or it's a race car to start with.)

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
During a replay or race, you want to hit your d-pad up button and scroll through the modes until you start seeing downforce... I haven't checked for that metric before but that's where your telemetry data would be if the game tracked it. Should be a measurement in weight.

Bodacious Bagel
Jul 28, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you go into tuning, and then RB your way all the way right to "Aero", it'll show you. You can only change it if you have the race aero added (or it's a race car to start with.)

And if I don't have the race aero added, would the down force be... 0 lbs? I'm hopeless when it comes to tuning :shobon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bodacious Bagel posted:

And if I don't have the race aero added, would the down force be... 0 lbs? I'm hopeless when it comes to tuning :shobon:

For the sake of tuning, yes. In the real world, most cars make very little downforce if any at all - spoilers and the like on your average production car are there for aesthetic reasons, or to reduce lift.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rickets posted:

What was this in, LLJK? The GISH races I've been in (I've put a good 5+ hours online racing in the last few days) have been really good, lots of variety.. maybe 15% dicking around but the rest has been some serious racing.
That's not happening in LLJK, or at least hasn't been in any of the races I've been in this past week. Hell because I hadn't done any gimmick races when I hosted the other day I actually tried to do my first game of tag.

Of course I ended up loving up the settings and somehow everyone was 'it' without any way to ever become anything else. :downsbravo:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Rickets posted:

Cool, I'm switching teams tonight then. I'm so sick of tag.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Played plenty of games with the LLJK crew and I can't say I've noticed an unusual amount of gimmick games? Circuit racing is easily where we've spent the majority of our time.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Someone asked earlier about the scoring the game uses with your turns, passes, speed, drafting, and drifting. Anyone have any insight on that? I've figured out that turning basically boils down to "be on a good line at a good speed with good entry & exit;" perfect passing seems to be "pass by as close to another car without hitting it." But what about the rest? Is perfect speed just hitting your car's max speed or something? I think I've got it only twice-once with the Veyron SS and I think the other time was with a muscle car, either a falcon or GTO. Drafting I've got maybe once, is that about how fast you're going while drafting? And as for drift....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSFWVpNnVGA

I managed this completely by accident. It looks pretty clean to me, except maybe the exit (I hit the grass) and only got 2/4. What do I have to do to get 4/4? I think the best drift I ever got on FM3 was like 1400 points or so (again completely by accident in an NSX). Would that be good enough for a perfect drift?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That video does tell me I need to approach the track days rivals challenges completely differently.

Drifting between slower traffic should make for some pretty epic replays.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm sorry if some people think there's to much silliness in the LLJK races. In all the games I've hosted, I've just tried to do what people say they want to do. :saddowns:

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Humerus posted:

Someone asked earlier about the scoring the game uses with your turns, passes, speed, drafting, and drifting. Anyone have any insight on that? I've figured out that turning basically boils down to "be on a good line at a good speed with good entry & exit;" perfect passing seems to be "pass by as close to another car without hitting it." But what about the rest? Is perfect speed just hitting your car's max speed or something? I think I've got it only twice-once with the Veyron SS and I think the other time was with a muscle car, either a falcon or GTO. Drafting I've got maybe once, is that about how fast you're going while drafting? And as for drift....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSFWVpNnVGA

I managed this completely by accident. It looks pretty clean to me, except maybe the exit (I hit the grass) and only got 2/4. What do I have to do to get 4/4? I think the best drift I ever got on FM3 was like 1400 points or so (again completely by accident in an NSX). Would that be good enough for a perfect drift?

You don't got a 2/4 because you weren't on the driving line (the traffic cars were). you need a 5,000 equivalent point drift to get 4/4 drift. Drafting must be over 100mph, the longer you draft the higher the point. yes, speed is just hitting max speed for long time.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well then I guess I won't get a 4/4 drifting til I download a drift tune for an AWD and go to town on Fujimi then. Oh well, with free parts now I may actually try to learn drifting. I downloaded a few tunes on FM3 and the parts cost was usually ~300,000 so I just gave up on that drift lap achievement.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm sorry if some people think there's to much silliness in the LLJK races. In all the games I've hosted, I've just tried to do what people say they want to do. :saddowns:
I wasn't really trying to complain about it. People should do whatever they enjoy! I was just saying that it wasn't really my thing and I quit because I felt like I was just taking up the space of someone who would enjoy it more than me.

It's nothing to be sorry about really, just different strokes and all that.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

If you guys are looking for somewhat more serious racing, come check out GTCC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If people want a serious business race, they could always start their own. :) Speaking of, I was thinking of starting a championship racing series. Something I really wanted to do in Gran Turismo 5, but that game really didn't allow for it, and it took months before multiplayer was fully implemented. Forza 4 has a fully featured and complete multiplayer, that will allow me to run what I wanted. Just need to work out the details, and then i'll make a post asking for an interest check.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I said come in! posted:

If people want a serious business race, they could always start their own. :) Speaking of, I was thinking of starting a championship racing series. Something I really wanted to do in Gran Turismo 5, but that game really didn't allow for it, and it took months before multiplayer was fully implemented. Forza 4 has a fully featured and complete multiplayer, that will allow me to run what I wanted. Just need to work out the details, and then i'll make a post asking for an interest check.

Or come join GTCC. We're starting a multi week series next week.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I gots a bimmer

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Turn 10 just wiped the lower class leaderboards and fixed the retarded Super Bee/Dart bullshit, so now we can have races where dudes aren't running 5+ seconds faster than anyone else.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Humerus posted:

Well then I guess I won't get a 4/4 drifting til I download a drift tune for an AWD and go to town on Fujimi then. Oh well, with free parts now I may actually try to learn drifting. I downloaded a few tunes on FM3 and the parts cost was usually ~300,000 so I just gave up on that drift lap achievement.

If you want to get the drifting achievement in FM4, just grab a powerful RWD car, turn all the assists off and do hotlaps of Benchmark E. There's basically nothing for you to hit so you can get the achievement fairly easily. I think it took me about 5-10 minutes of lovely drifting to finally get the 4/4 rating.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Speaking of GTCC races...

One hour multiclass endurance racing on Hockenheim Short sunrise. Great racing.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 20, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Day Man posted:

Or come join GTCC. We're starting a multi week series next week.

I will. :) But I wanted to do something entirely with Le Man Race Cars with two classes.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Or SAEG, we're all racing fans there, and buddies.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

It's on my storefront. It's just a bunch of lines.
What's your GamerTag? It's not in the spreadsheet, and the Storefront in Forza isn't finding "Ak Gara."

ZombieLicker
Jan 3, 2008

by T. Finn
Wheres all the usual club invites ? I would get one very 5 mins . also how do you get into the irc channel

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
I haven't raced online (don't want to piss people off), and don't have a headset, but I love playing single player and creating designs and vinyl groups.

Which club (if any) would be the best for me?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

YarPirate posted:

I asked this a few pages back, but I guess it wasn't colorful enough, or it was a stupid question, so I'll risk asking it again. I'd like to race online, but I'm having problems concentrating on my line with other cars on the track. I'd rather not be "that guy" who runs into everyone or takes up the whole track :(. It's very easy for me to do a good hot lap by myself, but throw in any amount of cars, and I suddenly go wide and off the course. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this? I'm pretty sure it's just a mindset thing, but I've been playing this game since Forza 2 came out, and it's not getting much better. Maybe I'm just hopeless? Any advice?
The hardest part, by far, of racing online is learning that you won't always beat everyone near you on every turn. Pick the places where you pass so that you aren't trying to pace someone when you're on the outside of a turn. And learn to ignore your mirror (except to be polite if you notice someone obviously faster barreling up behind, you could/should be nice and let him by if you're in the process of loving up a turn badly). It's poor form to try to aim your about-to-spin car right in someone's way just to be a dick.

The AI will do quite a lot of work to try to stay out of your way, actual races make passing quite a bit harder and more strategic, and virtual online races add a whole mess of deliberate assholes to the mix.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just remembered. I had a free.month of gold, so ill probably send an invite to a club, what are all the Aussies on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The little A class Peugeot rally car, with slicks on it, is one of the best cars to race around the Top Gear track with. Flat out through the follow through and tyres, even people who I was racing with said I had balls of steel :)

• Locked thread