Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm happy to see revolutions and political change lead by the people, but is anyone else creeped out about people shouting god is great around every single dead leader the middle east has produced lately? The Saddam execution was haunting because of the chanting. And not a leader, but the Nick Berg beheading video... wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

ease posted:

I'm happy to see revolutions and political change lead by the people, but is anyone else creeped out about people shouting god is great around every single dead leader the middle east has produced lately?

Increasingly seems to me that "Allahu Akbar" is almost used to mean "gently caress YEAH" than anything else but to hell if I know.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

EdTheHead posted:

I believe definition 2 applies here.

Please stop. Nobody cares.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Nombres posted:

Increasingly seems to me that "Allahu Akbar" is almost used to mean "gently caress YEAH" than anything else but to hell if I know.

The Libyan revolutionaries (and population as a whole) are strongly religious and their rhetoric is (for better or worse) centered around Islam. This is one of those things that is also disturbing about the Syrian revolution.

Religious rhetoric wasn't so present during the Tunisian or Egyptian revolutions due to the general nature of the protesters as well as strategic decisions by religious groups. Eg the strongest slogans in Tunisia were of course "degage", "al-sha'ab yureed isqat al-nidham" (the people want the downfall of the regime) or "khubz wa ma' wa Ben Ali la" (Bread and water, Ben Ali no)

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2011

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Rrail posted:

Not really, it's on his upper cheekbone. People get shot in the face and head all the time, accidentally and purposely.

In the video previously linked it seems to appear he's bleeding from this area while standing, but it is unclear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIkck02qao&skipcontrinter=1

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/statuses/127110228612366337

quote:

Sky sources: Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam is alive and is still at large

quote:

Saif al-Islam is alive and is still at large

quote:

still at large

no i don't know either

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2011

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

This is apparently the corpse of Moatassim Gaddafi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppk1Eu7dvE

Here's a picture of him

Could be him I reckon.

He looks like Nick Cave's condescending younger brother.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is apparently a new video of Gaddafi being all Weekend at Bernies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpnwBXHuxOc

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I guess no-one gives a poo poo about me posting news articles at this point in time?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Brown Moses posted:

I guess no-one gives a poo poo about me posting news articles at this point in time?

We always do. :glomp:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

^^^^ Yeah, this! Don't stop now :(

Brown Moses posted:

Dead as a doornail, his eyes look hemorrhaged.

Think the UK will say this is revenge for Lockerbie?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

Dead as a doornail, his eyes look hemorrhaged.

Think the UK will say this is revenge for Lockerbie?

They already interviewed a lady this afternoon here in Massachusetts that had a daughter die in that crash.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Please don't stop. There's a lot of interesting things that are going to be going on and you're literally my best up-to-the minute source.

Also, it might rescue the thread.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, don't stop! We love you Brown Mosessss.

Although if you want to take time off your vigil in order to spend time with your newborn, I'm sure none of us will fault you. Congrats!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He's another :nws: :nms: of Gaddafi's corpse, note the amount of mobile phones.

Sorry if I post any repeats, I'm just catching up at the moment.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008

Pueidist posted:

to celebrate gaddafis death demands you remove the event from its entire context. i.e., bin laden was a bad dude, but his death was at best a bittersweet moment because it came as a result of a needlessly bloody and destructive war campaign that obliterated millions of lives. the nato campaign for north africa is a force for evil and that it accidentally results in some level of justice doesnt deserve celebration

I half agree with this. A lot of people are supporting Gaddafi out of sheer contrarianism and basically using his "victimisation" as a stick to beat the western powers with.

It is quite possible to both be happy that Gaddafi's regime has fallen and angry that NATO stepped in to ensure that it happened.

The powers behind NATO are horrible precisely because they were willing at one point to be friends with Gaddafi in order to ensure that their goals in the Middle East were better met, and it was those same goals that kept dictators like Mubarak and Musharaff in Pakistan in power as well. Those strategic goals have not changed, even if the rules have been hastily re-written to no longer support the dictators and instead try to cosy up to their successor regimes.

We can celebrate the fall of Gaddafi despite this. He was the personification of evil. When regarding NATO's role in all of this, don't forget that these actions were a panicked and hasty response to a situation that had they had lost all control over (see for example the confused response of our leaders to the Egyptian Revolution). This is a dent in the policy of supporting dictatorships in order to ahcieve regional goals, and that's a positive outcome. Whether that is permanent or not of course remains to be seen.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Brown Moses posted:

He's another :nws: :nms: of Gaddafi's corpse, note the amount of mobile phones.

Sorry if I post any repeats, I'm just catching up at the moment.

Well, it's pretty clear he was hit in the stomach, then. Unless that's his bellybutton.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nombres posted:

Although if you want to take time off your vigil in order to spend time with your newborn, I'm sure none of us will fault you. Congrats!

Thanks everyone for the congrats, mum and baby are recovering in hospital over night, so I've got a few hours free now.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Nombres posted:

Yeah, exactly this. Though it'd be nice to have this thread saved from an inane discussion about whether Ghaddafi death was just and imperialists.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's worth posting this article that summarises the events leading up to his death:

quote:

Libya's Gaddafi caught hiding like a "rat"

Muammar Gaddafi called the rebels who rose up against his 42-years of one-man rule "rats," but in the end it was he who was captured cowering in a drainage pipe full of rubbish and filth.

"He called us rats, but look where we found him," said Ahmed Al Sahati, a 27-year-old government fighter, standing next to two stinking drainage pipes under a six-lane highway.

Government fighters, video evidence and the scenes of sheer carnage nearby told the story of the dictator's final hours.

Shortly before dawn prayers on Thursday, Gaddafi surrounded by a few dozen loyal bodyguards and accompanied by the head of his now non-existent army Abu Bakr Younis Jabr broke out of the two-month siege of Sirte and made a break for the west.

But they did not get far.

NATO said its aircraft struck military vehicles belonging to pro-Gaddafi forces near Sirte at about 8:30 a.m. (7:30 a.m. British time) on Thursday, but the alliance said it was unsure whether the strikes had killed Gaddafi.

Fifteen pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns lay burnt out, smashed and smouldering next to an electricity sub station some 20 metres from the main road, about two miles west of Sirte.

They had clearly been hit by a force far beyond anything the motley army the former rebels have assembled during eight months of revolt to overthrow the once feared leader.

But there was no bomb crater, indicating the strike may have been carried out by a helicopter gunship, or had been strafed by a fighter jet.

Inside the trucks still in their seats sat the charred skeletal remains of drivers and passengers killed instantly by the strike. Other bodies lay mutilated and contorted strewn in the grass. Some 50 bodies in all.

Gaddafi himself and a handful of his men escaped death and appeared to have ran through a stand of trees towards the main road and hid in the two drainage pipes.

But a group of government fighters were on their tail.

"At first we fired at them with anti-aircraft guns, but it was no use," said Salem Bakeer, while being feted by his comrades near the road. "Then we went in on foot.

"One of Gaddafi's men came out waving his rifle in the air and shouting surrender, but as soon as he saw my face he started shooting at me," he told Reuters.

"Then I think Gaddafi must have told them to stop. 'My master is here, my master is here', he said, 'Muammar Gaddafi is here and he is wounded'," said Bakeer.

"We went in and brought Gaddafi out. He was saying 'what's wrong? What's wrong? What's going on?'. Then we took him and put him in the car," Bakeer said.

At the time of capture, Gaddafi was already wounded with gunshots to his leg and to his back, Bakeer said.

Other government fighters who said they took part in Gaddafi's capture, separately confirmed Bakeer's version of events, though one said the man who ruled Libya for 42 years was shot and wounded at the last minute by one of his own men.

"One of Muammar Gaddafi's guards shot him in the chest," said Omran Jouma Shawan.

Army chief Jabr was also captured alive, Bakeer said. NTC officials later announced he was dead.

Fallen electricity cables partially covered the entrance to the pipes and the bodies of three men, apparently Gaddafi bodyguards lay at the entrance to one end, one in shorts probably due to a bandaged wound on his leg.

Four more bodies lay at the other end of the pipes. All black men, one had his brains blown out, another man had been decapitated, his dreadlocked head lying beside his torso.

Joyous government fighters fired their weapons in the air, shouted "Allahu Akbar" and posed for pictures. Others wrote graffiti on the concrete parapets of the highway.

"Gaddafi was captured here," said one simply.

From there Gaddafi was taken to the nearby city of Sirte where he and his dwindling band of die-hard supporters had made a last stand under a rain of missile and artillery fire in a desperate two-month siege.

Video footage showed Gaddafi, dazed and wounded, but still clearly alive and gesturing with his hands as he was dragged from a pick-up truck by a crowd of angry jostling group of government soldiers who hit him and pulled his hair.

He then appeared to fall to the ground and was enveloped by the crowd. NTC officials later announced Gaddafi had died of his wounds after capture.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Brown Moses posted:

It's worth posting this article that summarises the events leading up to his death:

Late to the party but congratulations on your daughter's birth! I don't know how your wife would feel but Spring would be a lovely name :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rasler posted:

The powers behind NATO are horrible precisely because they were willing at one point to be friends with Gaddafi in order to ensure that their goals in the Middle East were better met, and it was those same goals that kept dictators like Mubarak and Musharaff in Pakistan in power as well. Those strategic goals have not changed, even if the rules have been hastily re-written to no longer support the dictators and instead try to cosy up to their successor regimes.

Yup he pretty much had great success in shedding his black sheep status and helping EU countries overlook his true nature.

Especially getting energy deals with countries such as Italy and also quitting his WMD program.

But the Arab spring introduced a bad surprise and uncontrollable element into the picture especially since it caught the west flatfooted.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Body of Gaddafi son put on display in Misrata house

The corpse of one of Muammar Gaddafi's sons, Mo'tassim, was on Thursday evening laid out in a private house in the Libyan city of Misrata and local people were jostling around the body to take pictures on their cell phones, a Reuters reporter at the house said.

The body was laid on blankets on the floor and covered up to the waist by a blue plastic sheet. The upper half was naked, and wounds could be seen to the chest and neck, the reporter said. Members of the public filed in, shouting "Allahu Akbar" or "God is great." One person said: "This is the end of the tyrant."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Brown Moses posted:

Wow, now that is just undignified.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Brown Moses posted:

This is apparently a new :nms: video of Gaddafi being all Weekend at Bernies
It's interesting how much I personally disliked Gaddafi, as I just watched that while eating, and expected it would bother me.

It did not. I'm probably some kind of monster.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Brown Moses posted:

Some of this is ghastly. I understand the need to prove beyond doubt to people that these people are dead but some of this stuff is really grisly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rasler posted:

It is quite possible to both be happy that Gaddafi's regime has fallen and angry that NATO stepped in to ensure that it happened.

Is it, though? Because the first would absolutely not have occurred without the latter.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Some of this is ghastly. I understand the need to prove beyond doubt to people that these people are dead but some of this stuff is really grisly.

I'm genuinely curious how the groups of rebels in these shots see this. Is it a feeling of, "Yeah we killed the fucker"? "Finally this is over we can rebuild"? How do they see their treatment of Gadaffi's corpse? They've presumably been exposed to death a great deal during this war, I wonder to what degree it affects them. Is being this close to a corpse a day to day thing, or at least something they've gotten used to?

What do they plan to do with the body?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

etalian posted:

Yup he pretty much had great success in shedding his black sheep status and helping EU countries overlook his true nature.

Especially getting energy deals with countries such as Italy and also quitting his WMD program.

But the Arab spring introduced a bad surprise and uncontrollable element into the picture especially since it caught the west flatfooted.

To be fair, does is surprise anyone that NATO would support dictator stability vs democratic unpredictability? I mean, yeah that sucks that he was able to play the game so long, but that's what happens when a section of the planet gets labeled as a "powder keg."

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Golbez posted:

Is it, though? Because the first would absolutely not have occurred without the latter.

Yeah, the only reason this civil war didn't drag on longer is because NATO pounded Gadhafi as hard as they did. I'm just glad it was kept as limited as it was.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Reuters has compressed this thread into a 60 second video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xoyIQFN58

Yes, that's Reuters who did that, not some random pro-rebel idiot, they actually picked that music and chose that editing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nilbop posted:

It actually worth looking at this public corpse decoration through the Foucaultian lens on the need groups have for public punishment.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, the only reason this civil war didn't drag on longer is because NATO pounded Gadhafi as hard as they did. I'm just glad it was kept as limited as it was.

While it's always impossible to be sure, I'd say it's more likely that NATO is the reason the rebellion wasn't swiftly crushed, given what the momentum was before airstrikes started.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

ease posted:

I'm happy to see revolutions and political change lead by the people, but is anyone else creeped out about people shouting god is great around every single dead leader the middle east has produced lately?

They are united under a monarchist flag with Islamic symbolism on it, what do you expect? The rebels are largely composed of religious fundamentalists, and are Mujahideen in the literal sense of the word. Like the Mujahideen from the Afghan civil war they have also received arms and training from the US and its allies, and we will probably end up bombing them in the future. Almost every case of regime change in the past 100 years has been at the hands of the United States of America and its allies, this is indisputable. There is an extremely good chance, given the confirmation by extremely mainstream and otherwise supportive media sources that the CIA has had substantial involvement in the region predating the start of the uprising, that this was not an organic uprising at all but a regime change coordinated with the disperse dissenting elements within the country and Ghadafi administration itself to achieve economic and political goals. Shock Doctrine style.

Rasler posted:

We can celebrate the fall of Gaddafi despite this. He was the personification of evil

How is this known to you? By information released from the channels of propaganda that are beholden to the same NATO you deem horrible? I'm not saying the man was a Saint, but the information cited by those who unilaterally condemn him despite having guided Libya to enormous prosperity compared to its universally despicable state as a god damned monarchy prior to the '53 revolution comes from sources that are undoubtedly compromised as far as integrity is concerned. No major media outlet can publish things completely unfiltered, to lend them unlimited credibility is incredibly naive considering the past collusion by omission or outright censorship concerning US and western foreign policy. The US and its client states that it maintains, some of which aided in the intervention, have far worse human rights records than post-monarchy Libya has had. The situations in Qatar and Saudi Arabia for example are abhorrent and go completely ignorned while those states continue to receive western support and aid without question. Do you trust the same people who ignore mass enslavement and human trafficking to give you the unfiltered truth about a known enemy of their host country? One recalls the debunked accusations of chemical warfare by the USSR during the Indochina conflict while the same was actively and actually carried out by the US in South Vietnam, as far as media complacency in propaganda goes. It takes people on the inside testifying about their willingness to distort and cover up the truth to expose poo poo like that, usually many years later as in that case. Bias exists, get used to it. Libya is going to poo poo and the next 10 years will have Libyans yearning for the days before their country was destabilized and ravaged by internal conflict. Also the whole pilfering of resources by multinational corporations etc but that's small potatoes compared to the immediate threat of Constant Violence From Now On.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Killer robot posted:

While it's always impossible to be sure, I'd say it's more likely that NATO is the reason the rebellion wasn't swiftly crushed, given what the momentum was before airstrikes started.

I always think that analysis underplays the events occuring in Misrata and Nafusa at the same time as the events in Benghazi. Even if Benghazi had been crushed Gaddafi still needed to deal with those two locations, and I think Nafusa would have been a drawn out affair.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008

Golbez posted:

The point is that it's pretty obvious that NATO didn't intervene for the sake of justice or democracy. Or they A) would never have allied with him or Mubarak in the first place and B) would've intervened in Yemen and Syria which are, as you know, currently having equal problems with justice and democracy and yet have not been liberated by NATO.

The anger over NATO involvement is not anger that they intervened, but anger that there will be "terms" for the new libyan government as a result of that intervention. Obama said in his speech that Libya and the USA will now have a "relationship". Libya does not have anywhere near enough leverage or bargaining chips to ensure that the relationship will benefit Libya as much as it does the USA.

So it goes like this: Thankyou NATO for getting rid of Gaddafi. gently caress you NATO for basically having ulterior motives for doing it in the first place. And of course in no way does any of that justify turning around and supporting Gaddafi of all people.

It's like two really awful people trying to kill each other while you watch. You're glad that one of them finally got killed, but you've still got the other one standing in the room with you afterwards...and poo poo, those two guys were friends five minutes ago.

Mr. Self Destruct, your enthusiasm is great, but I think you've fallen into the trap of basic contrarianism. For all of its sins, capitalist democracy doesn't have a monopoly on truth itself.

Rasler fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 20, 2011

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

retarded extremist left bullshit

Jesus Christ, aren't you the idiot who was linking Russia Today and pro-Gaddafi blogs in the D&D thread?

Learn how to use paragraphs by the way.

And goddamn, all Misratans have gone plain loving crazy, haven't they? The people in Benghazi need to send someone to snatch that body off Misrata.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Wow, now that is just undignified.
Thus always to tyrants...

Nombres posted:

What do they plan to do with the body?
They are Muslims so they will bathe his corpse, shroud it with white cotton and bury it relatively quickly with its head facing towards Mecca. But I doubt the NTC will divulge the location of his grave.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

CBS News has a good article collecting various information about Gaddafi's final moments, worth a read if you need to catch up.
[edit] As does AJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

To be fair, does is surprise anyone that NATO would support dictator stability vs democratic unpredictability? I mean, yeah that sucks that he was able to play the game so long, but that's what happens when a section of the planet gets labeled as a "powder keg."

Well the US policy especially has been pretty much "The devil we know"

Killer robot posted:

NATO involvement was the turning point since it allowed the rebels to take away the opposing conventional forces really quick such as scaring off the navy, trashing supply depots plus being able to quickly trash threats such as heavy armor units.

Not to mention all the additional benefits such as access to high quality intelligence info to help the rebels plan attacks better.

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 20, 2011

• Locked thread