Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

VR-Zone also has an article saying that the upcoming Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011) will only launch with two of its eight cores disabled. Apparently they aren't able to hit acceptable clockspeeds with all eight cores enabled within the allotted TDP. The second stepping of the chip should enable them to launch an uncut product. I wouldn't mind one of those 150W TDP processors, imagine how effective Turbo must be?

That's a good article, I had missed that they were having issues fitting into the desktop thermal envelope. This made me laugh though:

quote:

There was disappointment in some of the enthusiasts' circles that the initial round of desktop Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge E processors have one quarter of their cores and cache disabled. So, instead of 8 cores with 20 MB L3 cache, you get just 6 cores with 15 MB L3 enabled.

only six cores :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-processor-release-22nm-3d-transistor,13753.html

Ivy Bridge is coming early. :D

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Great 2011 Turkey Shoot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That article is much less exciting than the headline :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jesus christ, $55 billion in revenue :stare:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

movax posted:

Makes that $1 billion payout to AMD seem like peanuts.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My favorite part about the Ivy Bridge backwards compatibility thing movax posted from the last page is how many of Intel's own boards won't be compatible because they cheaped out and used 2MB BIOS chips and don't have room.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

movax posted:

It's not the 55 billion that's impressive (Wal Mart had a revenue of over 400 billion last year; The company I work for did almost 30, and I'd be surprised if you ever heard of them), it's the 11 million increase that blows my mind.

damage path
Aug 15, 2001
Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!

hootimus posted:

I'm going to have a really hard time not upgrading my desktop (E8400) ...with some new Ivy Bridge goodness... I just want the power savings really.

I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade from an E8400 since it has been about three years. The wattage numbers are confusing to me, will it really be worth waiting and upgrading to Ivy rather than the i5 2500k in the meantime based on power consumption alone? How much money do you really expect it to save you?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The fact that they're bringing them out at higher clocks, and that there is some indication that Sandy Bridge isn't going to so easily scale to greater core density with the Sandy Bridge E fab (shipping initial parts with "only" 6 cores instead of the proposed 8, :qq: but also meaningful), tells me that power consumption isn't the only consideration. Sandy Bridge is a killer processor, it looks like Ivy Bridge is going to exceed it. The only thing I'm not sure about is overclocking capability but if they're scaling the clocks up and expecting a modest but meaningful 6%ish improvement clock for clock I have to figure they'll be able to overclock really well too.

Given that the wait is only a couple months 'til they get chips out to consumers, given that Ivy Bridge is going to be replacing Sandy Bridge except in Sandy Bridge E, there are several good reasons to wait, even if they're just speculative-but-probably right now.

So it's not really about power consumption alone, there are a number of things. Things that are making me consider going with an Ivy Bridge processor even though I've got a 2600K that's running 4.7GHz stable. If Ivy Bridge turns out to be a good overclocker, I'll make the swap. But I can write it off and have all the other underlying supporting hardware in place - I don't care about the integrated GPU, PCIe 3.0, or the native USB 3.0 support, since my motherboard packs the elements I -do- care about on its own. I'd just enjoy a better processor. Every bit counts. If they turn out to be mediocre overclockers I'll stick with my 2600K. I have to imagine they will be great, though, the double efficiency improvement (22nm, and 3D transistors to replace the last generation lithography) is really attractive. But I'll make sure to watch a bunch of people at overclockers.net and [H] cook their chips first to get a handle on what the deal is first.

If it weren't an expense I'd just skip it, and most people with a Sandy Bridge processor probably should. But you guys who are running Core 2 processors should really hold onto your wallets for the time being because it's shaping up to be a hell of a chip.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

damage path posted:

I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade from an E8400 since it has been about three years. The wattage numbers are confusing to me, will it really be worth waiting and upgrading to Ivy rather than the i5 2500k in the meantime based on power consumption alone? How much money do you really expect it to save you?
When I get a powermeter to measure my current setups and we see the wattage numbers for the Ivy Bridge chips, it should be easy to calculate, but really I hate leaving a quad core server on all day, when it's mostly idle. I hate turning it off at night though, because then it ruins my uptime :smug:

The problem though, is that I don't live in the US anymore, and hardware is really expensive here. So it may in fact not make any sense to upgrade :qq:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

It's not the 55 billion that's impressive (Wal Mart had a revenue of over 400 billion last year; The company I work for did almost 30, and I'd be surprised if you ever heard of them), it's the 11 million increase that blows my mind.

I think you mean 11 billion. What's even more impressive though is that Intel had like 60% of Walmart's net income on 1/8th of revenue (last year numbers), though the same could be said about many other tech companies.

The news of possible early release of Ivy Bridge do throw off my plans to hold on to my Q6600 for a while yet. There's no law saying that I have to upgrade, of course, but then unless they start at very high prices, there'd be little point with sticking with a 5 year old (:gonk:) processor any more. Or I could just overclock it (still running at clock speeds mostly) and go a few more years until Microsoft and Sony get their heads out of their asses and release some new hardware which won't hold back game developers, because for now, this setup feels slow only when the 8800GT shows its age. Well all this is pointless really, benchmarks and pricing will be available long before the processors are released anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Oh, I don't know. A Q6600 with a healthy overclock is probably still on par with Bulldozer for IPC :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Out of curiosity, is SB-E 32nm or 22nm?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I think you mean 11 billion. What's even more impressive though is that Intel had like 60% of Walmart's net income on 1/8th of revenue (last year numbers), though the same could be said about many other tech companies.

The news of possible early release of Ivy Bridge do throw off my plans to hold on to my Q6600 for a while yet. There's no law saying that I have to upgrade, of course, but then unless they start at very high prices, there'd be little point with sticking with a 5 year old (:gonk:) processor any more. Or I could just overclock it (still running at clock speeds mostly) and go a few more years until Microsoft and Sony get their heads out of their asses and release some new hardware which won't hold back game developers, because for now, this setup feels slow only when the 8800GT shows its age. Well all this is pointless really, benchmarks and pricing will be available long before the processors are released anyway.

Yeah, I meant billion, sorry.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Out of curiosity, is SB-E 32nm or 22nm?
32nm, it's still Sandy Bridge. 22nm debuts with Ivy Bridge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

There are hundreds of companies that are replacing their server infrastructure with new processors, cloud computing and there are still plenty of companies getting rid of P4s and replacing those units.

You've also got older C2Ds, which are pretty fast but are showing their age.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People say their C2Ds are still more than enough for them but I would kill for an upgrade of my Cantiga laptop at work

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

People say their C2Ds are still more than enough for them but I would kill for an upgrade of my Cantiga laptop at work

Anything remotely graphical and mine just chokes plus even with a Thinkpad the keyboard is so worn after 3-4 years?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
A Cantiga system should be reasonably snappy as long as you've got at least 4GB of RAM, are running Windows 7 64-bit, have the latest Intel drivers (especially graphics drivers), and are using a GPU-accelerated web browser (Firefox 7.0 for example). If you're running Windows XP or 32-bit Windows because that's what your company uses, or your OEM doesn't offer the current Intel graphics drivers and hardware acceleration is blacklisted for you, performance goes to poo poo. Using a non-MS Antivirus program will also murder performance, especially on marginal systems where the impact the harddrive throughput and CPU load makes a huge difference. On a work laptop the AV may not be something you can control, but a poor choice easily means a system that should run fine is painfully slow. Laptops using 5400rpm harddrives is also a pet peeve of mine, but unfortunately common. SSDs can make a lot more sense in laptops since 2.5" harddrives are so much slower than their 3.5" desktop equivalents, and you don't often need the same volume of storage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I put an SSD in my C2D and I'd almost rather use it over my desktop.

Unfortunately, the cost of SSDs is obscenely high and I don't see them being introduced into the corporate world anytime soon.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

A Cantiga system should be reasonably snappy as long as you've got at least 4GB of RAM, are running Windows 7 64-bit, have the latest Intel drivers (especially graphics drivers), and are using a GPU-accelerated web browser (Firefox 7.0 for example). If you're running Windows XP or 32-bit Windows because that's what your company uses, or your OEM doesn't offer the current Intel graphics drivers and hardware acceleration is blacklisted for you, performance goes to poo poo. Using a non-MS Antivirus program will also murder performance, especially on marginal systems where the impact the harddrive throughput and CPU load makes a huge difference. On a work laptop the AV may not be something you can control, but a poor choice easily means a system that should run fine is painfully slow. Laptops using 5400rpm harddrives is also a pet peeve of mine, but unfortunately common. SSDs can make a lot more sense in laptops since 2.5" harddrives are so much slower than their 3.5" desktop equivalents, and you don't often need the same volume of storage.

Sorry I have an SSD in there but between PGP and the bevy of IT related software that I have to have installed, it's remarkable slow and sluggish at times. And this is with Nvidia graphics. Battery life is lovely as well.

It takes longer to bring it out of standby than it does to bring my desktop out of S5 :psyduck:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 23, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If you mean PGP full disk encryption, yeah that'll do it, it'd take the entirety of the CPU to decrypt data at the speed of a slow harddrive, meaning your SSD can't really go faster than that either. That's the cool thing about the Intel CPUs with AES-NI, they drastically reduce the performance impact of encryption (assuming you use BitLocker or something that can be accelerated).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So they saw Bulldozer flop and are going in for the kill by releasing early. If Ivy Bridge does well - and all signs point to "massive success - it will be serious bad news for AMD.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Agreed posted:

Given that the wait is only a couple months 'til they get chips out to consumers,

Nope. Read the article again. It's going to paper launch in Q4 2011, but "according to Otellini, first Ivy Bridge systems should become available in Spring 2012".

If you're in the market to upgrade you might as well do it now (especially if you're still using a C2D like me), IB isn't going to be a factor for 6 months or more. Not to mention that IB's performance gains are likely to be modest. Hell, if IB turns out to be amazing you can always just replace your 2500k, IB will be an 1155 part just like the 2500k.

edit: drat you star wars sex parrot for posting that article, nobody is reading the important part. let me summarize it in bold: As a consumer, there's no way in hell you're seeing Ivy Bridge this side of Q2 2012. That article just says they're going to get a few units out so that they can say they shipped in Q4 2011.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 23, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

Nope. Read the article again. It's going to paper launch in Q4 2011, but "according to Otellini, first Ivy Bridge systems should become available in Spring 2012".

If you're in the market to upgrade you might as well do it now (especially if you're still using a C2D like me), IB isn't going to be a factor for 6 months or more. Not to mention that IB's performance gains are likely to be modest. Hell, if IB turns out to be amazing you can always just replace your 2500k, IB will be an 1155 part just like the 2500k.

edit: drat you star wars sex parrot for posting that article, nobody is reading the important part. let me summarize it in bold: As a consumer, there's no way in hell you're seeing Ivy Bridge this side of Q2 2012. That article just says they're going to get a few units out so that they can say they shipped in Q4 2011.

I read that as Q1, if it really is Q2 then yeah there's no point. I wonder if they're getting them to OEMs first as a moneymaker or as an opportunity to fine-tune the process with chips that can be fabbed as higher end hardware and blocked off to leash them to a lower performance tier since getting enthusiast hardware in a Dell/etc. is prohibitively expensive. That would make the launch for brand partners partially a paper launch, or at least a lucrative but also useful trial run to get things good and ready for the high-end chip push for enthusiasts and higher performance but smaller scale server applications, would it not?

Seems like a mixture of seizing the moment to just make AMD look loving foolish with Bulldozer, adhere to the Tick/Tock despite odds, and also get a chance to work out any kinks before opening up the market completely.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's the actual transcript: http://seekingalpha.com/article/300442-intel-s-ceo-discusses-q3-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=qanda

here's the key quote:

quote:

David M. Wong - Wells Fargo Securities, LLC, Research Division

My final thing, when might we expect the first PCs with Ivy Bridge chips to be on shelves?

Paul S. Otellini

Spring.

So Q2.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Predictable and expected, but 2700K is here.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5009/intel-releases-core-i72700k-and-cuts-the-prices-of-three-CPUs

No price cuts of real interest (low end stuff).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Predictable and expected, but 2700K is here.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5009/intel-releases-core-i72700k-and-cuts-the-prices-of-three-CPUs

I'm interested to see if they're still D2 stepping chips or if the 2700K is a new stepping, as the 2600K I picked up recently is pretty voltage-hungry. I'm not unhappy with it or anything, but I'm curious to see if they've been binning them for the 2700K release.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
SemiAccurate reports that the launch of Sandy Bridge-E (LGA2011) has been confirmed for November 14th at 12:01AM Pacific. I think we're still not expecting PCI-E 3.0 support due to PHY issues.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

Word. Intel tocks (Penryn, IB) aren't really worth waiting for, it's the ticks (Conroe, Nehalem, SB) that are far more impressive.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

freeforumuser posted:

Word. Intel tocks (Penryn, IB) aren't really worth waiting for, it's the ticks (Conroe, Nehalem, SB) that are far more impressive.

Good job getting tick/tock literally backwards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I was going to hold out til March for IB but even then who knows what quantities will ship right away etc.. Might as well just go for an i5/i7 SB now.

2600K or 2700K, hmm..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Yeah I was going to hold out til March for IB but even then who knows what quantities will ship right away etc.. Might as well just go for an i5/i7 SB now.

2600K or 2700K, hmm..

Whatever is cheaper, you're just going to set the Turbo Mult to 45 out of the box anyways.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

freeforumuser posted:

Ignoring the tick/tock nomenclature issue, I'd say you have this exactly backwards. While the tocks get you substantial changes in microarchitecture, the ticks deliver substantial power efficiency and clockspeed gains and have better longevity. Sandy Bridge was something of a special case, as there was no desktop "tick" of Nehalem (let's all just agree that Clarkdale never happened). Basically, while tocks deliver big changes, it's the ticks that make the most of them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

priznat posted:

2600K or 2700K, hmm..

i5 2500K, then overclock the poo poo out of it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Sandy Bridge-E (Core i7 3000-series) has been released

Anandtech's Intel Core i7 3960X (Sandy Bridge E) Review: Keeping the High End Alive

Anandtech's Sandy Bridge-E and X79 – The ASUS P9X79 PRO Review

HardOCP's Intel Core i7-3960X - Sandy Bridge E Processor Review

Tech Report's Intel's Core i7-3960X processor review

XbitLabs' Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition and Core i7-3930K processors for LGA 2011 Platform review

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Shiiiit...Intel is ready to loving gouge you.

e: :lol: The value priced CPU cooler. Someone made that slide.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 14, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hell yeah, 2500K/2600K sticking it to the man with best IPC :v:

The power draw on full load is pretty nuts. Not Bulldozer nuts, but, you know, loving high. Then again, that's 6 real cores and it's still not drawing that much.

No interest in this part, will check back when they get those two disabled cores hummin' but only to see "wow that's fast at stuff that can use 16 threads efficiently" and then go back to not being willing to spend $1000+ on a CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I have a confession to make: if someone gave me $10,000 with the stipulation that I *had* to spend it on a computer, I would build two i7-3960X systems and only sell one.

E: Ah boo, Intel nixed the SAS controller on X79.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 14, 2011