Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone on PS3 open up Servant (Chaos) Roster and tell me what armor the #2 person, "o_rio_n" is wearing? I know the helm is the crystal head piece but I don't recognize the rest of that outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Holy poo poo the final boss is a joke with the crystal ring shield and someone to pull agro. I think he lasts all of 30 seconds.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Allright, I've gotten pretty far so far without major help but I've hit the final roadblcok. How in the gently caress am i supposed to deal with Gwyn?
Within seconds of the fight starting i get hosed up. either by getting grabbed, or stabbed. I'm currently playing as a heavy armor dude(Havel armor, Black Iron Shield) Who wields a zweihander. I tried tanking him using Iron Skin and that didn't go too well :(

/\/\/\

Nice timing there, I'd love to use the butterfly shield but i ate the soul by accident.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hi, quick question: Where's a good spot to soul farm once I beat Que Queg or whatever? Until now, I keep getting double-killed and losing the vast majority of my souls, so I have some levels but like ZERO upgrades to anything so far.

On an unrelated note, I trudged through Blightown, beat the Maneater invader, and thought I'd summon a few folks to help me with the boss I knew was around the corner. My army of white knights at my side, I walk through the fog, and immediately the titty spider explodes or something and I'm dead.

Sorry brave knights, I had no idea.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

AzMiLion posted:

Allright, I've gotten pretty far so far without major help but I've hit the final roadblcok. How in the gently caress am i supposed to deal with Gwyn?

Just get a 100% physical shield, maybe something with fire resist too but not necessary. Keep blocking and backing away from him, wait for him to miss a grab or kick, and hit him once. Just repeat that and you should be fine. There are faster ways but that's the safest when alone.

E: Quoted wrong dude.

Skunk Ape fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 21, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

AzMiLion posted:

Within seconds of the fight starting i get hosed up. either by getting grabbed, or stabbed. I'm currently playing as a heavy armor dude(Havel armor, Black Iron Shield) Who wields a zweihander. I tried tanking him using Iron Skin and that didn't go too well :(

You can beat him with that setup, but you might want to switch to a slightly faster weapon. Keep a medium distance so you can roll if he tries to grab you, get in one hit (don't get greedy) after his 3 or 4 hit combo, after avoiding his kick attack, or after you avoid his grab. With that strategy it just takes practice and really memorizing and learning his moveset. There are other easier strategies as well like summoning someone and using the Crystal Ring Shield, or parrying.

He's such a pain in the rear end though, he's absolutely relentless. Someone compared him to False King but I think False King was way easier, Gwyn gives you far less opportunities to get a hit in.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cobalt60 posted:

Hi, quick question: Where's a good spot to soul farm once I beat Que Queg or whatever? Until now, I keep getting double-killed and losing the vast majority of my souls, so I have some levels but like ZERO upgrades to anything so far.

Upgrading your gear and your pyro flame as well as buying stronger pyro spells is a lot more important than spending souls to level up.

Farming is really boring, so you should just power through Sen's Fortress. Halfway through, you'll find a spear that is so strong it trivializes the upcoming segments.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bahaha I just got summoned at Parish while I was fighting, zone in at the side door... And there are a whole buttload of ragged sword undead and a baldur knight right there, all going in different directions.

The guy who summoned me had run upstairs, managed to get by the rapier dude, pulled the raggedy guys, and then run all the way outside into the courtyard.

I valiantly killed all of them by spamming fireballs, and he died a fraction of a second before my last one finished off the last ragged. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
If the pyro trainer lady in Blighttown were to appear, where would she be appearing?

I found the Chaos people, and they have pyro, but I gather I was supposed to find someone else down there too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Apparently my repay for having such an easy time with O+S as a sorceror was ceaseless discharge. Took me 20+ attempts to kill him, couldn't lure him back to the fog door (he'd just sit about halfway towards the fog door chain spamming his fire blast even if you stayed close to him). Eventually I beat him fair and square out on the plateau bit next to the gold hemmed set location, ended up with 3 health left and hit him in the face with a great soul arrow about 0.2 seconds before he could nail me with the big fire blast again. Nearly died of a heart attack.

Edit: I have spent a couple of hours helping people with O+S though, I can take down either of them in 3 crystal soul spears then finish the supercharged one off with my remaining crystal soul spears + a couple of crystal homing soul masses. I think people avoid summoning me cause of my beauty and the beast dress and jank looking shield, but I get a lot of joy emotes out of people.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 21, 2011

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Apparently my repay for having such an easy time with O+S as a sorceror was ceaseless discharge. Took me 20+ attempts to kill him, couldn't lure him back to the fog door (he'd just sit about halfway towards the fog door chain spamming his fire blast even if you stayed close to him). Eventually I beat him fair and square out on the plateau bit next to the gold hemmed set location, ended up with 3 health left and hit him in the face with a great soul arrow about 0.2 seconds before he could nail me with the big fire blast again. Nearly died of a heart attack.

Im blown away by the way everyone seems to disregard Ceasless Discharge, he was teh only boss outside of O+S that gave me an inordinate amount of trouble. All of his attacks seemed to him me no matter how I moved or avoided him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Meme Emulator posted:

Im blown away by the way everyone seems to disregard Ceasless Discharge, he was teh only boss outside of O+S that gave me an inordinate amount of trouble. All of his attacks seemed to him me no matter how I moved or avoided him.

Most people just cheese it by hiding, everything else is bullshit.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
What does using demon titanite on my crystal ring shield do? Goign to guess it doesn't up damage, correct?

Also, I burned all my twinkling titanite on my antiquated skirt. Wise?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Boosh! posted:

What does using demon titanite on my crystal ring shield do? Goign to guess it doesn't up damage, correct?

Antiquated Skirt is one of (if not the best) light armors in the game. Good choice.

Someone said this beforehand, but helping someone on Gargoyles and hearing the bell ring is so satisfying. This guy wrote me a long thank you (I helped him get the tail-axe and apparently he got the shield), and then I got to hear the bell ring shortly after.

I've been dropping my sigil right outside the path from the bonfire near the blacksmith. Is that ideal?

KingOHearts
Jan 19, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Antiquated Skirt is one of (if not the best) light armors in the game. Good choice.

Someone said this beforehand, but helping someone on Gargoyles and hearing the bell ring is so satisfying. This guy wrote me a long thank you (I helped him get the tail-axe and apparently he got the shield), and then I got to hear the bell ring shortly after.

I've been dropping my sigil right outside the path from the bonfire near the blacksmith. Is that ideal?

I have found that putting your sign as close to the area near the bonfire on the path towards the boss is the best way to do it. This is because in areas where a lot of people are getting summoned I was finding that most people were summoning 2 guys well before they got to the boss and wouldn't even see my sign if I put it just outside the boss. It's sort of a first in best dressed situation.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Boosh! posted:

It definitely increases the damage, and by more than just the 10 or whatever damage it says it does, I'm assuming it increases the multiplier used when calculating the damage from the right hand.

I think it was rumoured to do 2x RH damage?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

KingOHearts posted:

I have found that putting your sign as close to the area near the bonfire on the path towards the boss is the best way to do it. This is because in areas where a lot of people are getting summoned I was finding that most people were summoning 2 guys well before they got to the boss and wouldn't even see my sign if I put it just outside the boss. It's sort of a first in best dressed situation.
Mine is as early as physically possible. Not getting summoned, but it might just be a dry spell. I just need to assist 7 more people before I can be a comrade at arms with Solaire again

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've got no idea how people actually get cheap ceaseless discharge kill trick to work. Whenever I try, no matter how close I stick, once he gets about halfway between the stairs and the fog door he just sits there and spams fire tornado endlessly. I had to beat him on my melee dude by waiting for him to do his arm slam then stabbing his arms endlessly.

On my sorceror the fucker pulled out all the stops, I couldn't even goad him into doing his arm slam reliably. He invented some new loving attacks too, ones that arent even in the guide. The worst was this one where he'd lean over the ledge then use all of his arms to play it like a piano, with little fire explosions happening wherever his fingers hit. I don't even know what the gently caress that was, but he'd also do a bunch of unblockable poo poo like a leg-sweep and such. Fire resistance seemed to do gently caress-all to mitigate his damage too, and half the attacks hitboxes are nowhere near his actual limbs. His arm slam could hit me in the little corridor 'safe spot' despite no part of them even showing through the mountain he had to hit me through.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

I've got no idea how people actually get cheap ceaseless discharge kill trick to work. Whenever I try, no matter how close I stick, once he gets about halfway between the stairs and the fog door he just sits there and spams fire tornado endlessly. I had to beat him on my melee dude by waiting for him to do his arm slam then stabbing his arms endlessly.

On my sorceror the fucker pulled out all the stops, I couldn't even goad him into doing his arm slam reliably. He invented some new loving attacks too, ones that arent even in the guide. The worst was this one where he'd lean over the ledge then use all of his arms to play it like a piano, with little fire explosions happening wherever his fingers hit. I don't even know what the gently caress that was, but he'd also do a bunch of unblockable poo poo like a leg-sweep and such. Fire resistance seemed to do gently caress-all to mitigate his damage too, and half the attacks hitboxes are nowhere near his actual limbs. His arm slam could hit me in the little corridor 'safe spot' despite no part of them even showing through the mountain he had to hit me through.

I couldn't get the ledge thing to work either, but you can cheese him really easily by using that thin path that leads to the armor. If you hang around the back of it he uses no attacks other than his one-arm slam and you can just poke his arm to death after every slam. It has an invisible splash radius, so you have to watch how close you are when he does it, but once you figure out how far you have to run it's really easy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm a little disappointed I haven't gotten any angry messages yet. I've been indicted 4 times out of roughly 15 kills, that doesn't seem like that many either.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Cobalt60 posted:

On an unrelated note, I trudged through Blightown, beat the Maneater invader, and thought I'd summon a few folks to help me with the boss I knew was around the corner. My army of white knights at my side, I walk through the fog, and immediately the titty spider explodes or something and I'm dead.

Sorry brave knights, I had no idea.

Hah, I'm pretty sure that I was one of your summons! I've been doing white phantom duty at Quelagg most of the night and one of the people that summoned me died before I even made it through the fog door. I was wondering what happened.

KingOHearts
Jan 19, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Mine is as early as physically possible. Not getting summoned, but it might just be a dry spell. I just need to assist 7 more people before I can be a comrade at arms with Solaire again

Could be a combination of things, those being your level, the time your playing at and what server your on. On the wikidot it is still saying that you have to be within 10% of the other persons soul level as opposed to +- 10 levels, so at the low levels people would be doing gargoyles at (probably less than 20) you would have to pretty much be within 1 level of the people who are trying to summon you which greatly reduces your chances of being summoned. I'm not sure if that is actually the case though.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Mayor McCheese posted:

It depends on how far you are in the game. The Catacombs will eventually lead you to Giant's Tomb and eventually a yellow fog door. If you can enter yellow fog doors already then go for it, otherwise you may consider just waiting until you need to go in.

Outside of the blacksmith, I didn't personally find anything there that I would go out of my way for normally.

Oh, one of those coloured fog doors again? Yeah, I haven't gotten rid of those yet. I found out the hard way I can't go in those as of yet in the Demon Ruins. A bit of a wasted trip, but I got that Flame Ember so it wasn't a total loss. I'll look for the blacksmith at least.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Before I get to the boss in the Depths, should I find that curse resistant armor that popped up in the Rough Guide in Blighttown and Darkroot Basin? I just got cursed for the first time and it is a bitch, wasting 4k souls on a stone, gently caress that! I think I may just come back to this place later, curse is really starting to get to me haha.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

lohli posted:

It definitely increases the damage, and by more than just the 10 or whatever damage it says it does, I'm assuming it increases the multiplier used when calculating the damage from the right hand.

I think it was rumoured to do 2x RH damage?

Thanks, and yes it seems to do 2x the RH damage.

One more question (for now): The octopii dudes in lost Izalith are the one mobs that drop Red Titanite chunks correct? Besides the one-time-drops from the knights in Old Asylum. I wasted 2 chunks on a Flachion which I hate.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

If you have trouble getting summoned then quit the game and sign out of PSN then sign back in and it'll put you in a new lobby. I couldn't get summoned for O+S in the session I'd been getting loads of summons for iron golem, but when I signed out then back in I got summoned for O+S three times without much wait.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Will heal do very much good with 12 faith? Or will it only heal like 100 health?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

I'm a little disappointed I haven't gotten any angry messages yet. I've been indicted 4 times out of roughly 15 kills, that doesn't seem like that many either.

I've only ever had pleasant conversations with people, a quick "well played" either way or people asking questions, or planning another attempt at a boss with certain people.

Boosh! posted:

Thanks, and yes it seems to do 2x the RH damage.

One more question (for now): The octopii dudes in lost Izalith are the one mobs that drop Red Titanite chunks correct? Besides the one-time-drops from the knights in Old Asylum. I wasted 2 chunks on a Flachion which I hate.

I'm wondering if it treats the shield's magic damage value as a percentage and then multiplies it by 2, or 100% + the magic damage as a percentage? The latter seems more likely, but I don't know the armour values and resistances for various enemies to go and work out exactly what it is.

You can get chunks by doing PVP in the forest, at least I have been able to get a pretty good number of chunks and large shards by invading as part of the forest hunters covenant.

lohli fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 21, 2011

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
E: Doublepost

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Oae Ui posted:

Will heal do very much good with 12 faith? Or will it only heal like 100 health?
Heal can still be pretty useful with 12 faith. Buy the 5000 soul talisman from the cleric in firelink. It has a static spellpower, and is pretty much the go-to talisman for low-faith miracle casting.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Holy poo poo any boss is a joke with the crystal ring shield and someone to pull agro.

Fixed that for you. Never change crystal shield :allears:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Being a sorceror is like being the living incarnation of the crystal ring shield it's ridiculous.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Being a sorceror is like being the living incarnation of the crystal ring shield it's ridiculous.

What confused the hell out of me is why you get 10 crystal/soul mass casts but only 4 for crystal/soul spear.

It seems really backwards.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Two questions about Chaos Servant covenant:

1) If I'm not a pyromancer, is there any real reason to join? Does that opening stay open if I leave the covenant?

2) Do I have to join to get the spider lady to upgrade my flask?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

lohli posted:

What confused the hell out of me is why you get 10 crystal/soul mass casts but only 4 for crystal/soul spear.

It seems really backwards.

The spear spells go through people like a railgun so you can kill a shitload of dudes with one. They also seem to have longer range/be more reliable on a lot of bosses.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Here's an easy way if other people are annoyed with the final boss This should work with anyone, since a Claymore only reqs 16 strength one handed. Upgrade your Claymore to a +9 Fire Claymore and two hand it. Wear the stamina regen ring and armor with decent poise. I had the grass shield equipped too, I don't actually know if you get the benefit while you're two handing a weapon. Enter the fog door and wait 2-4 seconds before casting iron flesh, you want to JUST be switching back to your sword when he gets in. Ignore his attacks and just melee him down, but you do want to try and move him around so that he's on slightly higher ground than you and misses the occasional slash, since depending on vitality and defenses you may be cutting it pretty close. If you execute this correctly, you will kill him right as iron flesh wears off. I am not sure if that defense scales from upgrades in any way, but I had the normal flame at +15.

Also your stamina regen should be pretty bonkers so after you deplete your bar you will probably get better results if you wait until you can do two attacks before running out rather than just mashing your attack. You can do it just wailing on him though.

Super unsatisfying but as much as I loved the game, it went on a bit long and the end areas were way less creative and entertaining than the beginning half. All the way through Anor Londo is 100% amazing but the only legitimately fun end area was the Duke's Archive/Crystal Cavern for me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
For the spell trophies do you need to buy the redundant ones that multiple vendors sell? I think I might just be short Chaos Firestorm.

Zero Karizma posted:

1) If I'm not a pyromancer, is there any real reason to join? Does that opening stay open if I leave the covenant?

You will need that Old Witch ring to talk to her. Not sure about joining the covenant.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

lohli posted:

You can get chunks by doing PVP in the forest, at least I have been able to get a pretty good number of chunks and large shards by invading as part of the forest hunters covenant.

Oh wow, first I've heard of that, thanks man. Safe to leave Darkwraith, join the forest covenant, leave that and return to the Darkwraiths in the future right?

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
drat you Capra Demon. Third night in a row and I can't kill you.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Zero Karizma posted:

I don't know about the shortcut, but she'll upgrade your flask no matter what. (unless she's dead of course :v:)

• Locked thread