Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Dawnfire posted:

This sounds like a horrible glitch that could cause a ton of problems for anyone who's just starting the game, or even making a new character. I hope this is fixed quick, cause if this happens to my friend he will just go ballistic and break his disc in half as he's already been frustrated that he can't even get to the bell gargoyle on his own.

@Palleon: Just double checked, the longsword has a single handed R2 thrust. So if you like the straight sword moveset but wanted a thrust, try that. Though Kevlar Beard's suggestion for the Claymore is good too, it's just it's a little slower and the thrust has a lot of charge time too.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by ^, but scratch what I said about Claymore's thrust being slow. It's roughly the same speed as the longsword's anyway so it's not bad. If you want real fast thrusts you need a rapier or estoc.

Yeah don't use @. That's what [/quote] is for. This aint twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He leaves if you kill the gargoyles first.

This is from way back in the thread now but on most of my new characters I just run through the gate instead of fighting all the skeletons + the boar in front of the parish and Laurtec is always gone when I do this. I think it has to do with whether or not you pick up the key to his cell on your way in.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Can't decide what armor to invest in and was wondering if anyone of you had some advice?

The goal is to stay as mobile as possible. I use light weapons and shields (Fury sword, Blood shield, sometimes the eagle shield), so there isn't much weight added there, and I'm a little more than half way to getting my End. up to 40.

Right now I'm rolling around in the Gold Rimmed pyro gear you get near the Endless Discharge. I like it, but I don't think I can upgrade it very far.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Belmont run still going strong: Currently trying to plow my way through demon's ruins:

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
You can't upgrade it at all. It's the best cloth armor in the game but if you want something with poise I'd probably look into fully upgrading a set of Elite Knight armor.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

waspinator posted:

Belmont run still going strong: Currently trying to plow my way through demon's ruins:

This is your chance to watch a real masochist in action. Dude barely tickles the monsters with his whip, and gets into hairy situations when he tries to run past things. It's hilarious!

I guess you could pretend the crystal ring shield is a throwing cross but the scaling will probably be pathetic with whips.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

waspinator posted:

Is that a fire whip? Bro, you need to make that poo poo devine.

edit - is that devil may cry music?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Something does happen to him after you wake up Frampt, you might want to hold off on the killing.

Wait, what happens? All that happened in my game was that He started complaining about a smell, and then next thing I know he's hollowed, and attacking me in New Londo. Unfortunately, that fight ended with him jumping off a bridge so I don't even know what he was carrying.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Wait, what happens? All that happened in my game was that He started complaining about a smell, and then next thing I know he's hollowed, and attacking me in New Londo. Unfortunately, that fight ended with him jumping off a bridge so I don't even know what he was carrying.

nothing, unless it's a rare drop.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Macksy posted:

Is that a fire whip? Bro, you need to make that poo poo devine.

edit - is that devil may cry music?

Ugh no, he already tried that and it was basically worthless. His first whip was Divine though, thats the notched one.

Waspinator, did you know you can do a flying leap ontop of the Tauras Demons head and do the critical damage attack from the stairs, do it!

(I dont know if the whip can even do this though I doubt it)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Jesus, this game is hard. I'm slogging through Undead Burg at a snail's pace and getting nearly auto-killed by anything that looks at me funny. I beat Demon's Souls and I don't remember it being this hard. Does it ever ease up? any general tips? I started as a thief, btw.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
It eases up immensely and after your first playthrough enemies that wrecked your poo poo the first time around will suddenly seem powerless.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I started as a thief, btw.

That's probably why. From the few starts I've tried the Warrior seems to be the easiest class to begin with. If you beef up your Strength, Endurance and a little bit of Dexterity and Vitality you can both wield heavy weapons and shields and while wearing medium armor also still dodge quickly.

Right now I'm guessing that you're wearing light armor with light weapons and getting wrecked by poo poo. I did something similar for my first run and yeah it was a lot harder since learning enemy patterns and dodging is tougher than takings things straight on with a shield initially.

Supershuttle
Aug 15, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Jesus, this game is hard. I'm slogging through Undead Burg at a snail's pace and getting nearly auto-killed by anything that looks at me funny. I beat Demon's Souls and I don't remember it being this hard. Does it ever ease up? any general tips? I started as a thief, btw.

Get a bow from the first merchant and when you get to the area where your underneath the bridge that the dragon is on, shoot the dragon's tail until he dies. He drops the Drake Sword and its automatically put into your inventory, the sword does 200 damage but doesn't scale with any stats.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Can't decide what armor to invest in and was wondering if anyone of you had some advice?

The goal is to stay as mobile as possible. I use light weapons and shields (Fury sword, Blood shield, sometimes the eagle shield), so there isn't much weight added there, and I'm a little more than half way to getting my End. up to 40.

Right now I'm rolling around in the Gold Rimmed pyro gear you get near the Endless Discharge. I like it, but I don't think I can upgrade it very far.

This really depends on your endurance. I've been wearing the Gold-Hemmed hood, with either a Wanderer's Coat +9 or a Dingy Robe +9, depending on the environment, with gloves and legs from the Black Iron set. Looks pretty drat cool. My max burden is like 67.2 with the ring of favor on, and this plus Queelag's plus my silver knight shield, black bow of pharis, and pyromancy flame puts me right at 33.6 with like 38 poise? It's an okay setup.

Although as I mentioned earlier, I started wearing exclusively heavy armour because I don't even dodge roll anymore. I run slower but I think I'm more effective in the end.

e: The most important consideration IMO is what it takes to upgrade your items; if you see twinkling titanite and you don't want to farm clams, steer clear. Elite Knight, all the Hollowed items, and Balder only take normal titanite and go to +10. I'm really strongly considering making a character who wears the Hollowed Soldier chest and Balder legs on a new profile named something like Bikini_Bandit.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I started as a knight, and put 1 point into faith in order to be able to use heal, and that's seriously helped me thru the entire game. It lets me go into a boss with 10 flasks instead of like 2 since you can use heals instead of the starting flasks you get at firelink.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

As far as the transition from Demons to Dark, Poise and Stability are a bigger deal in Dark. Don't think you can just coast through the game naked using the roll button this time. A starting character with Heavy Armor is far more forgiving starting new.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2011

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.
Wow, the Iron Golem fight was really easy after fighting the Stray Demon. Felt like I was given a bit of a break.

Holiday mms
Feb 17, 2011
What basic weapons are good choices to level up to +5 or +10? Is it just a matter of preferance? I want to step away from the drake sword.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Holiday mms posted:

What basic weapons are good choices to level up to +5 or +10? Is it just a matter of preferance? I want to step away from the drake sword.

I'd take a look at the wiki and see which weapons can ascend with boss souls.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I joined the sunlight bros convenant and I've only been summoned once since I joined unlike the tons of summons I got while white phantoming. I think the gold phantom symbol looks too close to the message symbol for people to realise it's a summon.

The one time I did get summoned was pretty hilarious, the guy summoned me then kept trying to attack me. He'd slash at me then roll away, so I started chasing him around anor londo doing the PRAISE THE SUN gesture at him. I chased him into the giant blacksmith room and he attacked his own blacksmith trying to kill me. I think he thought I had used the red soapstone or something.

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

Ramagamma posted:

Well goodbye Dark Souls. I've enjoyed some of my time with you, but been left mostly angry and frustrated at my own lack of patience, time and skill. Arkham City is out today and with the imposing challenge of a mortgage looming on the horizon I'm going to have to be sensible and start trading in games rather than keeping in my collection for the hopeful gloom of a rainy day.

I hope to get back to Dark Souls. Hopefully I'll pick it up cheaply a year or two down the line but for now its difficult to justify keeping a game like Dark Souls when there is such a packed Christmas schedule this year.

Potential for being a fantastic game. I hate to say it as black and white as this but its just too difficult to be entertaining.

Fitting that you'd rather play Arkham City, all you've done since day one is bitch nonstop.

Daemonite fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 21, 2011

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Vatek posted:

It eases up immensely and after your first playthrough enemies that wrecked your poo poo the first time around will suddenly seem powerless.

It's unreal how true this statement is. I was getting pissed trying to kill O+S, I was trying to kill the big guy first, which is much more difficult.

Anyway, I started a cleric and ran into undead burg, and was able to clear the area, including the black knight, and the Taurus Demon without leveling at all or really upgrading my weapons or armor and without dying. The first time through I ground up like 10 levels and still had trouble getting to the Taurus Demon without dying. Just understanding how the game works makes it a lot easier.

Now to farm souls for Large Titanite so I can upgrade 3 weapons with bosses souls. It's like 30 of the cheesy farming runs in Darkroot Garden to get the Souls, and you better believe I'll be undead the whole time so as not to get pvp'd.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I joined the sunlight bros convenant and I've only been summoned once since I joined unlike the tons of summons I got while white phantoming. I think the gold phantom symbol looks too close to the message symbol for people to realise it's a summon.

The one time I did get summoned was pretty hilarious, the guy summoned me then kept trying to attack me. He'd slash at me then roll away, so I started chasing him around anor londo doing the PRAISE THE SUN gesture at him. I chased him into the giant blacksmith room and he attacked his own blacksmith trying to kill me. I think he thought I had used the red soapstone or something.

That's hilarious. I always grab orange summons first because hey, medals! But all the orange guys I get die before the boss because they're bad. :sigh:

It'd probably help if Solaire's "brilliant, like the sun" metaphor when you first meet him came with big golden text (in the "you defeated" style) saying "ORANGE SUMMON SIGNS ARE FRIENDLY".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Daemonite posted:

Fitting that you'd rather play Arkham City, all you've done since day one is bitch nonstop. I hope your wife and children don't mind casual misogyny.

Oh come on. Dark Souls is a tough game - sometimes legitimately, sometimes cheaply. No shame in packing it in if that's not your bag.

BTW I don't think anyone is actually playing Batman: Arkham City for the cringe-worthy misogyny. It's just a lovely rider put into an otherwise solid game.

Taking a poo poo on someone's family for picking another game is kind of pathetic, man.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Daemonite posted:

Fitting that you'd rather play Arkham City, all you've done since day one is bitch nonstop.

Bitched non-stop? Christ, you must have an easy life. I've criticised the games weak points and praised its peaks. Frankly bewilders me you've taken special note of my 4 or 5 entries in amongst the screeds and screeds of posts here to retaliate.

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010

Palleon posted:

I'll have to double check the longsword, I thought it was a swing like the broadsword, but maybe I got mixed up.

gonna quote myself like a tit

Peridot posted:

This sword (Balder side sword) gets a lotta love from me, always in the second slot after my Estoc, and wouldn't dare replace it with a longsword.

It carries the usual longsword R1 slashes, and the transition to R2 thrust. But a second R2 attack will result in another thrust, not the upward slash of the longsword. The jumping attack is also a thrust, compared to longswords downward stab.

plus its about 5% shorter than an Estoc (even a normal right to left R1 slash will hit the floor at the very end of its swing)
10 str 14 dex required, dropped by the elite undead guard (red caped dudes in parish)

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

doomfunk posted:

This really depends on your endurance. I've been wearing the Gold-Hemmed hood, with either a Wanderer's Coat +9 or a Dingy Robe +9, depending on the environment, with gloves and legs from the Black Iron set. Looks pretty drat cool...

That sounds like a pretty killer set up. I tumble around like a crazy man though so I'm trying to keep my over-all weight below 25%. I'm putting points into End every other level though as that's the first stat I want to cap. I'm thinking 40 is going to be good. Also, I'm not partial to farming so I'm going to try and avoid anything that uses twinkling. I may go back to my starting Thief gear at this point.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

War Eagle posted:

Now to farm souls for Large Titanite so I can upgrade 3 weapons with bosses souls. It's like 30 of the cheesy farming runs in Darkroot Garden to get the Souls, and you better believe I'll be undead the whole time so as not to get pvp'd.

I got 50k souls pretty quick just from killing the same handful of invaders into my world this morning. Only death was when the dog woke up and decided to say good morning by jumping on me.

Felt good, even if I did seem overleveled for the people I was getting, and the invasions seemed to stop once Sif was dead.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh come on. Dark Souls is a tough game - sometimes legitimately, sometimes cheaply. No shame in packing it in if that's not your bag.

Very true words. I don't want to give up on Dark Souls just yet but given the wealth of games coming out between now and christmas it makes more sense to trade it in now, get £30 back for Batman and then maybe buy another copy a year or three down the line when it'll be going for pennies.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So I went up to rank 2 in the Chaos Servants, finally. Is there any reason to keep contributing to them? Also, if I quite now will I loose my shorcut to lost Ilziath?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Zebrasectomy posted:

So I went up to rank 2 in the Chaos Servants, finally. Is there any reason to keep contributing to them? Also, if I quite now will I loose my shorcut to lost Ilziath?

No, it stays open.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Anyone got any for getting more multiplayer games going? I'm just wondering because I've heard a lot of junk around like "Place your white stone down every 5 minutes to swap servers" or "Log out of PSN and log back in hurpderp". These things all sound like playground rumors, but I want to know if you guys actually have any real evidence.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Ramagamma posted:

Very true words. I don't want to give up on Dark Souls just yet but given the wealth of games coming out between now and christmas it makes more sense to trade it in now, get £30 back for Batman and then maybe buy another copy a year or three down the line when it'll be going for pennies.

It's funny, the game has millions of glaring flaws and it's obviously not going to be everyone's cup of tea. But be careful about voicing it or you'll get a whole load of GO AND PLAY MW3 etc...

Disclaimer: I love Dark Souls.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
So in order to get various titanite chunks, it's probably best to wait 'til the last area and farm my rear end off?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Rexicon1 posted:

Anyone got any for getting more multiplayer games going? I'm just wondering because I've heard a lot of junk around like "Place your white stone down every 5 minutes to swap servers" or "Log out of PSN and log back in hurpderp". These things all sound like playground rumors, but I want to know if you guys actually have any real evidence.

Pretty much everything is rumors. Try not to get over/underleveled, try keeping your summon sign near bonfires or boss doors.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Rexicon1 posted:

Logging out of and back into PSN will cause the game to have to attempt to connect to a server again, so it's likely that it might pick a new one. This is pretty common with anything connecting to one of a list of servers, shouldn't be any different for Dark Souls.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

doomfunk posted:

That's hilarious. I always grab orange summons first because hey, medals! But all the orange guys I get die before the boss because they're bad. :sigh:

It'd probably help if Solaire's "brilliant, like the sun" metaphor when you first meet him came with big golden text (in the "you defeated" style) saying "ORANGE SUMMON SIGNS ARE FRIENDLY".

Well at the moment I'm a full-on glass cannon sorceror, which means I can melt just about any boss in a few seconds provided someone can keep aggro off me while I cast, but people always seem to summon in a spear + shield dude over me. A lot of the summons I get they've already summoned another dude before me. I put the orange sign wherever I can that's most noticeable, and away from the orange messages, but I've still had really bad luck with it. Might just be the time of day though.

Sorceror does make boss fights somewhat less enjoyable solo though, you either die instantly or the boss does. Sif went down in two soul spears, pinwheel in one, firesage in 3 and centipede in 4. I killed the four kings while only killing two, cause I did a poo poo-ton of overkill damage to dying ones which took off the remainder of the boss hp bar. Although with most of those I did die a good 2-5 times before finding the windows to cast in. With my melee guy I did most bosses without dying once, but it was much more of an epic struggle.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Leyburn posted:

GO AND PLAY MW3 LOSER

quote:

I tried logging out and back into the PSN, and I did notice that the Orange messages had changed, but I have no idea if this means that I changed servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

sentrygun posted:

Logging out of and back into PSN will cause the game to have to attempt to connect to a server again, so it's likely that it might pick a new one. This is pretty common with anything connecting to one of a list of servers, shouldn't be any different for Dark Souls.

That sounds reasonable, I just always assumed that characters were stored on servers like an MMO but I don't know much about PSN architecture. Anyways thanks for the replies y'all.

Leyburn posted:

HAVE FUN HOLDING LEFT TRIGGER TO AIM RIGHT TRIGGER TO SHOOT YOU GODDAMN rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread