Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Vargs posted:

I invaded that same guy in the Undead Burg a couple days ago. Getting summoned takes way too loving long, so I've resorted to the red eye stone.

I like to take my pimped out level 8 in Smough's armor and a witch hat to the Burg, then just follow people around with my shield up for the entire area. Makes them really nervous. It's pretty funny.

How did you beat the Four Kings at that level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Running through a bunch of crystals that don't have a very clear path while the geometry attempts to launch you into the abyss unless you're running at a 45 degree angel up and forwards sort of says "wrong way" to me. I actually had 50 prism stones before that; I'd bought them thinking they would be useful at some point (they weren't).

The key is to watch the little falling debris, it splashes onto walkable ground and if you walk and wait you'll see what area you can walk on. I was deathly worried I would have tons of trouble getting that blue titanite slab, but I took my time and got it on the first go through. I used prism stones, but only dropped them so I could find my way back quicker.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Carwin posted:

I agree that Dark Souls wanders into "cheap" territory occasionally. Those two silver knight archers on the rooftops in Anor Londo come to mind as well.

Since everyone has trouble with this...

They are incredibly easy. I died to them twice then figured something out that makes them completely trivial.

Just sprint up to the top and rush one of them. Keep your shield up and your back at an angle so if an arrow does hit you it'll just push you into the wall. Keep moving forward until you get within range so that they pull out their sword. But do not get onto their cat walk. Position as show in the picture above and they will take a swing with their sword and fall. Then repeat on the other one.

Don't wear a bunch of lovely heavy armor or it's hard to close the gap.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I haven't gotten truly hosed off with this game until the two archers in anor londo. It wouldn't be so bad if the way leading up to them wasn't so tedious by the 5th time you've done it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dawnfire posted:

The key is to watch the little falling debris, it splashes onto walkable ground and if you walk and wait you'll see what area you can walk on. I was deathly worried I would have tons of trouble getting that blue titanite slab, but I took my time and got it on the first go through. I used prism stones, but only dropped them so I could find my way back quicker.
My problem wasn't the ramps. It was the crystal thing that you need to path through in between some invisible and visible walkways. The part that I was walking on pushes you sideways, so you need to be partially walking up the entire time. I never died or had trouble with the invisible walkways.

im a girl btw posted:

I haven't gotten truly hosed off with this game until the two archers in anor londo. It wouldn't be so bad if the way leading up to them wasn't so tedious by the 5th time you've done it.
Just run up the ramp and go left around the pillar. Then run towards the one on the right and push your face into him until he falls off.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The.GreyWolf posted:

How did you beat the Four Kings at that level?

Same way you always do. Havel's armor, iron flesh, and an upgraded weapon in both hands (a +4 lightning large club in this case). Low level games really aren't much more difficult than normal ones. With 9 endurance sometimes I just don't have the stamina to block certain boss attacks, but really it isn't a huge deal.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I think I popped a blood vessel in my eye getting past the Anor Londo 1337 sniping duo. I don't even remember having this much trouble the first time either.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Gentlemen :whatup:

So which areas could you go after Anor Londo and talking to the very well weighted Gwynervere? So far I've beaten Great Wolf Sif, Moonlight Butterfly, Pinwheel, The Iron Golem, The buddy-cop comedy knights

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't ever done the Anor Lando sniping part alone but I've done it PRACTICALLY alone, since the people I was playing with were morons. Still, simply having more than one target for them to shoot at makes a huge difference.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 22, 2011

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Liquid Penguins posted:

I just joined the way of the dragon covanent. Is there a shortcut back or do I really have to climb all the way back up?

If you can warp from bonfires, just do that. If not, you gotta climb back up and odds are you rested at a bonfire so the basilisks will be back. Enjoy.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Playing my new character after finishing the game once and went through all of Depths and Blighttown (top to bottom, ending with killing Queelag) with various other miscreants in jolly co-operation. Had probably teamed with 10 different people before I rang that bell and had an amazing time. I've apparently had some great luck with the online because I've hardly ever had any troubles summoning people or getting summoned, but hopefully the patch will improve things for everyone. In short best game great fun great tournament great experience.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

The Wolf Ring helped me out a lot when it came to those archers, you get knocked down so much less

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If you can warp from bonfires, just do that. If not, you gotta climb back up and odds are you rested at a bonfire so the basilisks will be back. Enjoy.

Just did. Actually was really easy.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've never had problems with the basilisks, only with those mushroom fathers. Guess they're easy to run past, but your face gets wrecked if they manage to land a punch on you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't tried it, but would iron flesh work for the snipers? Getting near them is pretty easy, it just starts to be a major problem when you get to the upper ledge. If they can't knock you back with iron flesh on, you could theoretically just walk up to the guy on the right and beat the poo poo out of him. You could even wait to cast it until you've wedged yourself in the corner right next to him where neither can hit you with their bows.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Sweet loving lord, I am in full Black Iron Armor, with Iron Flesh on, walking 2 steps a minute and the loving arrows still knock me back.

RAAAHHHHGHH

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Vargs posted:

I haven't tried it, but would iron flesh work for the snipers? Getting near them is pretty easy, it just starts to be a major problem when you get to the upper ledge. If they can't knock you back with iron flesh on, you could theoretically just walk up to the guy on the right and beat the !@#$%^&* out of him. You could even wait to cast it until you've wedged yourself in the corner right next to him where neither can hit you with their bows.

Problem is you'd have to time it so you cast just after their arrows missed you, or you'll most likely get violated by those ridiculously large arrows before you could finish the spell.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Gentlemen :whatup:

That armor looks so cool. If only Brolaire and myself could have beaten ssj Ornstein. :(

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Vargs posted:

I haven't tried it, but would iron flesh work for the snipers? Getting near them is pretty easy, it just starts to be a major problem when you get to the upper ledge. If they can't knock you back with iron flesh on, you could theoretically just walk up to the guy on the right and beat the poo poo out of him. You could even wait to cast it until you've wedged yourself in the corner right next to him where neither can hit you with their bows.
I learned this the hard way: iron flesh does not affect knockback from dragonslayer arrows.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Sweet loving lord, I am in full Black Iron Armor, with Iron Flesh on, walking 2 steps a minute and the loving arrows still knock me back.

RAAAHHHHGHH

Two hand a Tower Shield, block and run towards them. Their arrows won't knock you back.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Two hand a Tower Shield, block and run towards them. Their arrows won't knock you back.
I just ran fast and they never hit me.

What was the reasoning behind phantoms not being able to use Estus flasks? :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

I assumed to force the summoner to keep a close watch on their health, act kind of like a commander/support person. I think it's pretty rad myself.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Jolly cooperation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assumed to force the summoner to keep a close watch on their health, act kind of like a commander/support person. I think it's pretty rad myself.
Most summoners have no idea what the gently caress, though.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

It prevents invaders from having the advantage of pulling back into a crowd of enemies and healing I think, and generally makes it so the defender has the upper hand when it comes to healing. It also makes healing miracles actually have a use beyond being a second healing source.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

The.GreyWolf posted:

That armor looks so cool. If only Brolaire and myself could have beaten ssj Ornstein. :(

I think I just got lucky since I had a lot of health and a +15 pyromancy hand. Took all my greater combustion and combustion to kill them both too. Put some points into pyromancy folks, works wonders!

Seriously where do I go now after Anor Londo :confused:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Most summoners have no idea what the gently caress, though.
To put it another way, if all their white phantoms die off due to their incompetence and they are left all alone it's their own drat fault.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, I like that change. It makes the host more conscious of the phantoms they've summoned and that they need to take care of them as much as themselves if they want to keep them around.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I think I just got lucky since I had a lot of health and a +15 pyromancy hand. Took all my greater combustion and combustion to kill them both too. Put some points into pyromancy folks, works wonders!

Seriously where do I go now after Anor Londo :confused:

Catacombs?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Dumb question, but how does the online work? i've started a new char on my live account and have yet to be invaded even though I've been human almost the whole time, have yet to be summoned despite leaving my marker at bonfires/boss doors, and everytime I try to summon someone it tells me that the summon failed after a moment or two. I'm not exactly speed running and I'm not grinding/power leveling, so I don't know what's up.

Also, can I be summoned into another's game if I'm hollow?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Macksy posted:

Dumb question, but how does the online work? i've started a new char on my live account and have yet to be invaded, have yet to be summoned despite leaving my marker at bonfires/boss doors, and everytime I try to summon someone it tells me that the summon failed after a moment or 2. I'm not exactly speed running and I'm not grinding/power leveling, so I don't know what's up.
Multiplayer is almost completely broken right now but a patch is supposed to be out later this month to fix it.

edit: this page is in Japanese but you will know that we are in business when you see the date at the top change to something other than 2011/10/17. I'm checking it multiple times a day because I want that patch so loving bad.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 22, 2011

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Samurai Sanders posted:

To put it another way, if all their white phantoms die off due to their incompetence and they are left all alone it's their own drat fault.

While this is true, if I'm tanking a boss so you can stand back and throw soul arrows at it undisturbed, it would be nice if you could do me a solid and give me a heal if I take some hits.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

a shameful boehner posted:

Catacombs?

Opps, sorry forget to mention I've done the catacombs. So would I be looking for the Tomb of Giants/ Duke's Archives/ Great Hollow here?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm usually the one getting summoned, so :qq:

Greataxe: awesome. Only need 24 strength to 2-hand the monster, and it's surprisingly fast.

I got a Black Knight Halberd, and was stoked to use it. My 24 strength that lets me 1-hand my zwei and 2-hand my greataxe will also let me 2-hand the halberd! Too bad it requires 18 dex.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Opps, sorry forget to mention I've done the catacombs. So would I be looking for the Tomb of Giants/ Duke's Archives/ Great Hollow here?

I'm pretty sure the Tomb of Giants is after the Catacombs, Duke's Archives is in Londo, and Great Hollow is (I think?) accessible through Blighttown.

One day I'll be able to 1-hand that Dragon King Greataxe...one day....

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The two archers are really just as easy as I described with the lovely ms paint. Just sprint up in armor that lets you run. I usually kill the one on the left first.

They walk off the ledge every time.

Edit: Also I've had no troubles being summoned or invading. I'm SL 55 and its pretty much instant in the dukes archives at all times of day. I think it has to do with being the same level as the majority of people in the area.

I alternate between helping and killing people. Dark Wraith is pretty fun.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I think I may have done something really stupid, but I hope there's a way to fix it.

I saved at the first bonfire in Anor Londo. I made it through the top of the church to the main tower - the one that goes spins down two levels. I went all the way to the bottom, and lit the bonfire there, but didn't save. I died, and now I spawn at the first bonfire. The tower is all the way down, and I don't know how to get down there again. Is this where my journey ends?

I can't wait for the multiplayer to start working. The wait times make me think that no one else is playing the game!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Walk on the catwalk. ^^^ The flying buttress style one.

There's a lever.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 22, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ramsus posted:

The two archers are really just as easy as I described with the lovely ms paint. Just sprint up in armor that lets you run. I usually kill the one on the left first.

They walk off the ledge every time.

Edit: Also I've had no troubles being summoned or invading. I'm SL 55 and its pretty much instant in the dukes archives at all times of day. I think it has to do with being the same level as the majority of people in the area.

I alternate between helping and killing people. Dark Wraith is pretty fun.
I've never even gone to the one on the left. He can stand there forever for all I care. :colbert:

Getting summoned is usually terrible for me! It's super fun though so I deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thread is moving crazy fast so sorry if this has been asked.

I saved big hated wizard and he is back at firelink but he says I'm not good enough to teach, I'm guessing I should raise intelligence but to what level do I need it too?

• Locked thread