Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^^ I think I read somewhere it was 10. I don't know though, I only have 8.

It's just about closing the gap as soon as possible. Sprint to them and you should only have to block or roll through one arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So I'm level 56, and want to white phantom O+S in Anor Londo a fuckload of times to learn the ropes. Where do I drop my sign so that I get summoned?

X360: Sputbot

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Mega Comrade posted:

Thread is moving crazy fast so sorry if this has been asked.

I saved big hated wizard and he is back at firelink but he says I'm not good enough to teach, I'm guessing I should raise intelligence but to what level do I need it too?

15 should be the magic number.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sputnik posted:

So I'm level 56, and want to white phantom O+S in Anor Londo a fuckload of times to learn the ropes. Where do I drop my sign so that I get summoned?

X360: Sputbot
You might be a touch high, but I'd suggest either right by the bonfire or right before the big staircase that leads to O&S.

Big hatted, not big hated. Logan is not fat and he is a chill bro who nobody should hate (until he starts trying to kill you, I guess).

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Just run up the ramp and go left around the pillar. Then run towards the one on the right and push your face into him until he falls off.

If I run right up to him with my shield up he just shoots an arrow at me, which knocks me back and off the walkway.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
castlevania time: http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

TIME TO DIE, 4 KINGS

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

im a girl btw posted:

If I run right up to him with my shield up he just shoots an arrow at me, which knocks me back and off the walkway.
The angle he's at should just be knocking you into the wall. What shield are you using?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just bought the Adventurers armor from the depths merchant, and it's hilarious and awesome. Covered in fake medals and just so jingly.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

im a girl btw posted:

Try rolling just under the arrow, I've done this a few times and if you time it right it works. Should let you close the distance to the point where he pulls out his melee weapon.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
If I wanted to do a run through focusing on a magical/faithful dudette that wears cool armor but never carries a shield, would that be viable? Or is a shield just required if you're not a lightweight dodger / I'd better be light enough to dodge everything, period? And how screwed would I be without pyro?

I dig the idea of sauntering into battle with a claymore casually slung over one shoulder, wielding the power of god from my free hand (no shield, so easy space for the two catalysts).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 22, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Shalinor posted:

If I wanted to do a run through focusing on a magical/faithful dudette that wears cool armor but never carries a shield, would that be viable? Or is a shield just required if you're not a lightweight dodger / I'd better be light enough to dodge everything, period?

I dig the idea of sauntering into battle with a claymore casually slung over one shoulder, wielding the power of god from my free hand (no shield, so easy space for the two catalysts).

Evening super lightweight dodgers have a hard time as this game is a little bit more punishing on people without shields. You can probably do it, but it's going to be a bit tougher for sure.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Shalinor posted:

If I wanted to do a run through focusing on a magical/faithful dudette that wears cool armor but never carries a shield, would that be viable? Or is a shield just required if you're not a lightweight dodger / I'd better be light enough to dodge everything, period? And how screwed would I be without pyro?

I did a no-shield run in Demon's, and it was viable, tense, and a lot of fun.

Enemies - particularly bosses - have such broad-area attacks in this that I almost want to say it's suicide. That said, try it! And remember, do everything in your power to be grossly incandescent.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Mega Comrade posted:

Thread is moving crazy fast so sorry if this has been asked.

I saved big hated wizard and he is back at firelink but he says I'm not good enough to teach, I'm guessing I should raise intelligence but to what level do I need it too?

You need 15 intelligence before he will teach you anything.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Ramsus posted:

:words:

:words:

For the two archers in Anor Londo, use poisoned arrows and a fog ring if you have it. Then just aim a little higher than the archers to hit them about center mass. Then just stay out of sight till they die from the poison. Pharis's bow works well here since it has a longer range, and it takes 2-5 arrows sometimes for the poison to set in.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I did no-shield and light armour in Demon's, but with the amount of AoE boss attacks in this one and the narrower areas I'm not sure how possible it'd be.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I did no-shield and light armour in Demon's, but with the amount of AoE boss attacks in this one and the narrower areas I'm not sure how possible it'd be.

It's possible I think, but I'd suggest using pyromancy since that often can kill things in one hit and negate the need to dodge/block if you're fast enough.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Not to mention the inconsistent framerates really throw off your dodge timing.

I asked before but didnt get an answer, can you be summoned into someone's game as a phantom if you're hollow? It lets me drop my signal, but I know all the other aspects of multi requires you being human.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Macksy posted:

Not to mention the inconsistent framerates really throw off your dodge timing.

I asked before but didnt get an answer, can you be summoned into someone's game as a phantom if you're hollow? It lets me drop my signal, but I know all the other aspects of multi requires you being human.

You can be summoned as a phantom while Hollow yes.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Seemenaked posted:

For the two archers in Anor Londo, use poisoned arrows and a fog ring if you have it. Then just aim a little higher than the archers to hit them about center mass. Then just stay out of sight till they die from the poison. Pharis's bow works well here since it has a longer range, and it takes 2-5 arrows sometimes for the poison to set in.

Or skip all that and just run up to them and watch them fall.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
Amazon just sent me a $5 gift card for shipping me the game well past release-day. I accept their apology.

"Hello,

We're writing you about your order for "Dark Souls," order #104-1862059-8197017.

We offered Release-Date Delivery on this title, but due to supplier delays, we were unable to deliver your product as scheduled on October 4, 2011. We're very sorry for any disappointment this caused.

We'd like to make this right and offer you a $5 gift card good for a future purchase on Amazon.com. Please see below for the claim code and additional details.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a shameful boehner posted:

The cutest Nito.

Put that in the OP stat

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

fromagex posted:

Amazon just sent me a $5 gift card for shipping me the game well past release-day. I accept their apology.

"Hello,

We're writing you about your order for "Dark Souls," order #104-1862059-8197017.

We offered Release-Date Delivery on this title, but due to supplier delays, we were unable to deliver your product as scheduled on October 4, 2011. We're very sorry for any disappointment this caused.

We'd like to make this right and offer you a $5 gift card good for a future purchase on Amazon.com. Please see below for the claim code and additional details.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com"

I was pretty fuming when this happened to me and I just cancelled my pre order then went to Best Buy to get it immediately. Didn't feel like waiting till whenever they decided to send my copy. I heard some people got up to 15 bucks though for complaining enough to Amazon, I just didn't care about it since it was mostly about getting the game on time for me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The trick to the Snipers in Anor Londo is extremely simple. Keep to the wall and roll underneath the one shooting at you that you can see; getting hit by the one behind you will knock you forward but it won't kill you. Then run -right- next to the knight and keep your shield up. He'll fall down by attacking you. You're home free by that point.

I did this twice. I only tried getting past them twice. Two for two success rate.

Seriously they're not that hard to get by.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
I never had a problem with that part, I didn't even get hit. :smug:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Just think, if they patched out the Anor Londo Snipers, included a 5 second window of aggression for Capra Demon, and put a fog below blighttown to fix the framerate, the only bad part of the game would be Lost Izaith. (Which is irredeemably bad)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
After failing to get summoned for 30 minutes, my sigil now randomly disappears and my soapstone is greyed out. During this time, I can see other sigils. Then the game goes FWOOSH (sound of the bonfire lightning or something) and my sigil becomes available again. Is that someone failing to summon me?

I'm entirely serious when I say about 80% of the playtime on this character has been idling while I try to get summoned.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 22, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How the hell do you kill this illusion guy/fog ring guy in the forest.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Megasabin posted:

Get the sunlight maggot so you can see in the tomb, wear the ring of fog so the Mosquitos stop coming, the game doesn't spawn new enemies- pay attention and you will see them climbing. Or you can ignore the obvious clues that you should be trying something else instead of bruteforcing it and blame the game instead.

But there aren't any "obvious" clues that you are "brute forcing" it. This is a hard game and unless you go out and buy the official guide or go on the wiki and spoil yourself for all the items and what they can do, and all the areas too, you have no idea if what you're facing is something that the game expects you to have a "trick" for, or is legitimately hard. (I also find it kind of amusing that if you go on the Wiki right now, it doesn't mention the Sunlight Maggot at all for dealing with the Tomb). Sometimes this game errs on the side of not giving you enough information.

BTW, regarding the fog ring - if you have trouble with the online (as I do) you never get this as you never advance in the Covenant, and also if you ever say "No" to the cat you might not get it, and that also presupposes that you did part of Darkroot Garden before you did Blighttown (which a player has no idea that they are supposed to do). In a game that gives you as little direction as Dark Souls should the designers really be making "one-item" solutions to areas, particularly when that item is in an optional area?

Also the game most certainly does spawn new enemies - those drat mosquitos and the babies at Nito's room.

There seems to be a certain class of player who thinks that because Dark Souls is a "hard" game that means that it can be absolutely obtuse, bullshitty, and cheap. Dark Souls is loved because it seems insurmountable but through developing your skills you can master the excellent melee system and crush the game. Dark Souls is not loved because it puts you in a pitch dark room and pushes you into a pit. Remember that.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 22, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Wookums posted:

How the hell do you kill this illusion guy/fog ring guy in the forest.
Get a weapon with a horizontal swing. Iaito isn't a great choice, a claymore is.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Put that in the OP stat

I'm noticing a pattern: Nito and Solaire get the best fan-art. Anyway, I agree so there it goes. If anyone can scrounge up great art that shows off more of the characters, that'd be fantastic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Just beaten the Iron Golem on my SL6 run. Holy poo poo but the NPC summon they give you is ludicrously powerful. I'm pretty sure he did 70% of the damage and he actually did stuff, unlike Mildred at Quelagg.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I just beat the Four Kings, and I think I got really really lucky.
I beat them on my first try without stone skin(it decided not to work), and they just couldn't really do anything to me with my upgraded elite knight armor.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pierson posted:

Just beaten the Iron Golem on my SL6 run. Holy poo poo but the NPC summon they give you is ludicrously powerful. I'm pretty sure he did 70% of the damage and he actually did stuff, unlike Mildred at Quelagg.
I thought he was an actual player. He was so strong and competent compared to the other AIs.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
When I first got to Anor Londo I thought 'this game just jumped up in difficulty!' but now when I do it I get to the bonfire without even fighting. Poison the giants, run past the gargoyles and they get stuck and fall off, bait the snipers and they fall off too. I don't know how to feel.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is level 30 about where most people are at for qulaag/sens? Dudes gotta be within 10 levels of you to see your summon sign or be summoned by you, right?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

waspinator posted:

castlevania time: http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

TIME TO DIE, 4 KINGS

I've tried watching this a few times, and it seems like it could be interesting. Unfortunately the microphone quality kind of brings the whole thing down. If streaming is a thing you do, you may want to consider picking up a different mic and maybe toning down the game audio levels.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm trying to go into the Tomb of the Giants and it's not fun. I'm thinking if I could deal with the skeletons faster that might help. I'm currently level 40 with the gold-trimmed robe, some enhanced elite knight gear and the grass crest shield. I've been using a +10 Butcher Knife or +5 Divine Club for most things, but I also have a +5 Fire Lucerne and a +3 lightning spear I found. What do you guys suggest to make quickest work of those skeletons, or should I track down and upgrade some different kinds of armor?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There seems to be a certain class of sycophant who thinks that because Dark Souls is a "hard" game that means that it can be absolutely obtuse, bullshitty, and cheap. Dark Souls is loved because it seems insurmountable but through developing your skills you can master the excellent melee system and crush the game. Dark Souls is not loved because it puts you in a pitch dark room and pushes you into a pit. Remember that.

As much as I love the game I have to agree. I can't even begin to account for the number of bottomless pit related deaths I have had in Dark Souls. It was never an issue in Demons as rolling off cliff sides was always down to your own carelessness, and was funny. But Dark Souls midgame suddenly starts designing encounters specifically to cheap shot you off a ledge, that is really just poo poo. And once you get into Anor Londo, the game basically uses that tactic in every zone thereafter.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Elysiume posted:

The angle he's at should just be knocking you into the wall. What shield are you using?

I'm past them now, but I was running up to the guy on the right too fast. If you get right up to him too quickly he won't pull out his sword, just continue shooting arrows (which if I was right in front of him would knock me off the walkway regardless of the angle I was to him)

Once I slowed down he pulled his sword out and then it was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

I thought he was an actual player. He was so strong and competent compared to the other AIs.

I kept thinking this too as I was white phantoming on my first character before doing the boss, he was like in every match I was summoned to. I'd see him already summoned and go, "Who the heck is this guy? Freaking jerk with his awesome high damaging sword." Or "Oh it's him again, how's he ALWAYS getting summoned?"

• Locked thread