Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

de_dust2 posted:

Well backed by the western government and NATO, I would assume it was from them.

The ones that weren't looted from loyalist stockpiles were provided by Qatar. All of this is public record.

Edit: Oops, this thread moves quickly.
Edit2: Didn't know if this was posted yet, but looks like Iran and Turkey are cooperating on the Kurdistan raids:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15407142

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can't wait until Gaddafi's death day becomes a national day of mourning in Serbia and Russia. They're already in denial over it; just need to wait for them to get to "acceptance" before the tears fall.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

closeted republican posted:

I can't wait until Gaddafi's death day becomes a national day of mourning in Serbia and Russia. They're already in denial over it; just need to wait for them to get to "acceptance" before the tears fall.

My grandpa from my mom's side is Russian and he was lecturing me how the protests against Gaddafi are totally stupid and Gaddafi is awesome. Thing is, he was an engineer back in the day who designed the goddam bathyscaphe for the USSR, but apparently simple facts can't get through to him.

Oh god this is going to be a fun topic when I visit him. I tried explaining some valid points, but nope, he knows better and supports the Russian media's opinion 100%. I still don't understand how Russia has these weird political views, especially when the evidence and numerous facts state otherwise. :psyduck:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Rrail posted:

Can't wait for ["tell-lie-vision"] to make its way into American vernacular.

Isn't that a Nuwaubian thing? I think it's a Nuwaubian thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

awesome-express posted:

Oh god this is going to be a fun topic when I visit him. I tried explaining some valid points, but nope, he knows better and supports the Russian media's opinion 100%. I still don't understand how Russia has these weird political views, especially when the evidence and numerous facts state otherwise. :psyduck:
Why they didn't decide to reverse policy once it was clear Gaddafi was probably going to lose is beyond me. Whining that your oil interests are probably going to get kicked out of the country when you tried your damnedest to keep the international community from stepping in is pretty asinine.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

awesome-express posted:

My grandpa from my mom's side is Russian and he was lecturing me how the protests against Gaddafi are totally stupid and Gaddafi is awesome. Thing is, he was an engineer back in the day who designed the goddam bathyscaphe for the USSR, but apparently simple facts can't get through to him.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why Russia is pumping out bizarre "news" about Gaddafi is because NATO is involved. They are completely frightened of NATO and will completely lose it if NATO is involved with anything.

EDIT: Forgot about the oil thing, but I still think their paranoia about NATO is the big driver behind the weird-rear end news you see on places like Russia Today.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Hasn't anyone been told in Russia that the cold war ended 20 years ago?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ThePutty posted:

They still have this mentality that Russia > everything else, and thus whoever disagrees with glorious Putin/Medvedev is a traitor/capitalist pig dog/western media supporter. I think it's a carryover from the Soviet era. Much like how a large chunk of our population still calls Russians "reds" unironically.

Disagreeing with my mom's Russian side of the family when it comes to politics usually leads to heated arguments full of blind patriotism :smith:

vvvThat too vvv

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 22, 2011

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ThePutty posted:

Russians are hardcore nationalists that put the USA to shame in terms of whiny and aggressive nationalism. Basically, imagine if a good-sized majority of Americans were Tea Baggers. That's Russians.

EDIT: Beaten.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eschers Basement posted:

Also, I'm loving the D&D invasion of this thread. "It doesn't matter how many people Gaddhafi had killed or tortured to stay in power for over forty years - he improved Libya's health care, and thus must be mourned and treated with proper and due respect." :downsbravo:

The improvements and infrastructure were a classic case of divide and conquer.

He only put money into places close to his power base while neglecting a majority of the country.

Not to mention skimming billions of dollars every year to go on spending sprees along with his rotten progeny while a majority of his country suffered.

Russians are hardcore nationalists that put the USA to shame in terms of whiny and aggressive nationalism. Basically, imagine if a good-sized majority of Americans were Tea Baggers. That's Russians.

EDIT: Beaten.

Especially since Russia under Putin is basically trying to return to the gold old flag waving and cult of personality days with a few twists.

Such as pursuing a scorched earth buyout policy against a liberal broadcasting station just because the satirical Russian puppet Kukly had the balls to included a Putin dwarf puppet.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 22, 2011

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

etalian posted:

Not to mention skimming billions of dollars every year to go on spending sprees along with his rotten progeny while a majority of his country suffered.

A family friend who works for a local production company was whining that they weren't going to get to do a regular show in Barbados this year. I asked him why not, and he said it's usually a Gaddafi event :psyduck: . Yeah, I don't think that's happening this time around.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I was selling some scrap gold the other day and I wondered if all this looted and liberated gold from Qaddafi's palaces and vaults is going to do to the gold market. Even if everything was gold-plated, it's a lot of gold plating.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Young Freud posted:

I was selling some scrap gold the other day and I wondered if all this looted and liberated gold from Qaddafi's palaces and vaults is going to do to the gold market. Even if everything was gold-plated, it's a lot of gold plating.

*Joke about the true value of the golden gun*

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Young Freud posted:

OH GOD GOLD IS CRASHING BUY BITCOINS BUY BUY BUY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

grumperfish posted:

A family friend who works for a local production company was whining that they weren't going to get to do a regular show in Barbados this year. I asked him why not, and he said it's usually a Gaddafi event :psyduck: . Yeah, I don't think that's happening this time around.

I guess that gig is dead on arrival now.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Russians are hardcore nationalists that put the USA to shame in terms of whiny and aggressive nationalism.

Conversely, don't ever say anything slightly positive or even neutral about Putin around Ukrainians. The Kazakhs that I've met seem to think he's great, though. "Strong leader", etc.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OwlBot 2000 posted:

The Kazakhs that I've met seem to think he's great, though. "Strong leader", etc.

Makes sense seeing how every Central Asian break-away country basically maintained the cult of personality, censorship and other Soviet goodies.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The reasons many Ukrainians dislike and distrust him include the perception a strong push by Russia to reassert dominance over Ukraine (and their other imperial and Soviet holdings) a mere 20 years after their independence, and the heavy-handed tactics used for natural gas price negotiation and payment (such as just shutting off the gas pipelines pipelines during the middle of the winter, causing people to freeze to death) and so forth.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Stoatbringer posted:

The way he's been treating the people for the last 40 years, it should really come as no surprise.

I'm not surprised, just disappointed. I know they're Muslim and probably don't do things like go on drunken benders, but someday these people are going to wake up to what they did, and it's not going to feel good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

J.theYellow posted:

I know they're Muslim and probably don't do things like go on drunken benders, but someday these people are going to wake up to what they did, and it's not going to feel good.

Yes I'm sure they will have nightmares about giving a leader responsible for so much pain and suffering over the course of a 42 year iron hand rule a humiliating, pathetic end.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why is it so important to find the guy that pulled the trigger on Gaddafi? I go on Google News and every single Gaddafi story is about that.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's just 'boohoo that poor old poof and his silly fashion sense, he was a victim of the mob' I hate when people are driven by the media's latest video clips like that. The guy MADE victims for this last year, and surely before, and now he's the victim. Good grief.

At the end he's just a powerless, frightened old man - you'd have to be inhuman not to feel a touch of something at that. Still doesn't alter the fact that he entirely deserved his end for causing so much unnecessary death.

DevilCat
Nov 6, 2008

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Fegg posted:

At the end he's just a powerless, frightened old man - you'd have to be inhuman not to feel a touch of something at that. Still doesn't alter the fact that he entirely deserved his end for causing so much unnecessary death.

How can you feel empathy for someone who never had empathy or care for others?

For someone who pretty much captures the worst more disturbing aspects of human nature.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

etalian posted:

Yes I'm sure they will have nightmares about giving a leader responsible for so much pain and suffering over the course of a 42 year iron hand rule a humiliating, pathetic end.

Or they might have nightmares about beating a delusional old man to death, realizing that they've personally bloodied their hands on someone who was at their utter mercy, dictator or not. Personally killing someone, regardless of their ideology or past crimes isn't something that you can just wave away with "well he deserved it so they won't feel bad"

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

Yeah, actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what will happen. And it will haunt them for the rest of their days. That is exactly what I'm saying.

etalian posted:

It's not Gadhafi I'm empathizing for. It's the people in the video who are not him.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Eschers Basement posted:

Also, I'm loving the D&D invasion of this thread. "It doesn't matter how many people Gaddhafi had killed or tortured to stay in power for over forty years - he improved Libya's health care, and thus must be mourned and treated with proper and due respect." :downsbravo:

I've been here a while, and for most of my time here, D&D was considered the respectable forum for serious discussion. The refrain used to be "please take this discussion to D&D". Now it's "oh god D&D is leaking again :rolleyes: "

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least everyone can agree that a sexy Amazon bodyguard is more compelling than a dull Secret Service.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

DevilCat posted:

Needs more naked Rachael Ray.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

Needs more naked Rachael Ray.

Not sure the mural wall would be big enough for that addition

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

etalian posted:

That's one way I flatter myself that I'm different from him.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DevilCat posted:

Why is doctor who about to suck obama's dick? :ohdear:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Why is Bob Dylan circa 40 years ago staring at Obama's junk? :gonk: Faithmouse! :argh:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Gaddafi update: http://gizmodo.com/5852109/holy-crap-qaddafis-corpse-is-being-stored-in-a-freezer-at-a-mall

He's in a freezer in Misrata.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
I got the impression that he had a pretty swift death which is more than can be said for some of his victims.

Everyone keeps talking about his Amazonian bodyguards, but I think they all buggered off at least a couple of months ago. I think I saw it on a news report or maybe this thread, but I'm not too sure.

It was a while after his sexy nurses got the gently caress out of dodge.

Belated congrats to Brown Moses on your new addition!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rosscifer posted:

Gaddafi update: http://gizmodo.com/5852109/holy-crap-qaddafis-corpse-is-being-stored-in-a-freezer-at-a-mall

Somebody send the rebels some popsicles, there's comedic photos that need to be taken.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rosscifer posted:

He's right next to the Forever 21 right now.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

etalian posted:

He's right next to the Forever 21 right now.

More like Forever 69. A rat in a mall freezer; a fitting post-mortem.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

I got the impression that he had a pretty swift death which is more than can be said for some of his victims.

Everyone keeps talking about his Amazonian bodyguards, but I think they all buggered off at least a couple of months ago. I think I saw it on a news report or maybe this thread, but I'm not too sure.

It was a while after his sexy nurses got the gently caress out of dodge.

Belated congrats to Brown Moses on your new addition!

Well, you have horrible stories like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031197/Gaddafis-girl-executioner-Nisreen-19-admits-shooting-11-rebel-prisoners.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

That's a horrible story, but there's very little corroboration for it. What's more likely: That she was kept in a room where they forced her to execute prisoners with her AK at gunpoint for 3 days, and her only way to escape was to jump out the window just in time to be caught by rebels, or that she was a sniper who jumped off the roof when the rebels got close.

• Locked thread