Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
gently caress you Koei. I get to the last mission in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. One mission away from the platinum trophy, and what am I rewarded with for all my efforts slogging through all this game's tedious trophies? A total pile of bullshit. Half a dozen ace pilots that can teleport from nowhere and kill me in two hits even with a maxed out pilot and the best Gundam in the game.

I have a limit to how much bullshit i'll endure for a platinum trophy, and this game broke it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Golems seem like a possibility. Cursed golems.

Where does most of the game take place? It's kind of a myth related to that area, isn't it?

The Atlantis of the Sands. So a lost desert city in Arabia. I'm betting on genies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know yet what bullshit superhuman enemy the end of Uncharted 3 will have? zombies -> crazy magic mountain people -> ?

I was hoping none at all. The end boss UC2 wasn't hard, just stupid.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was really repetitive. It felt like an old videogame boss fight. Oh you are kicking my rear end? Well how about I up the challenge and throw more grenades! The UC1 final boss fight was better than that one.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

ChetReckless posted:

I've heard that CoD has become very same-y with each new release, which is one reason why I don't know if I'll pick it up this time around. There are going to be too many cool games this fall/winter to buy the same game as last year. I'm kinda hoping that Uncharted 3's multiplayer may scratch that itch instead. (I realize that U3's multiplayer isn't drastically different from U2's either, but U3 will also likely have a mind-blowing single player, and that tips the balances.)

Right there with you. I bought COD4, MW2, and Black Ops. Really looking forward to UC3 co-op (I hope they have the same/better adventure missions), and enjoyed the Subway Beta. IF I get MW3, it'll be for like $20. Until then, I'll occasionally dip into Nazi Zombies. I played multiplayer Black Ops everyday for two months straight, and I'm just sick of it.

edit: oh and WaW, but that was WWII at least

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 21, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Shindragon posted:

It was really repetitive. It felt like an old videogame boss fight. Oh you are kicking my rear end? Well how about I up the challenge and throw more grenades! The UC1 final boss fight was better than that one.
Yes, but, they were both still pretty bullshit. Though at least the UC1 boss was bullshit in an unfair QTE sort of way, whereas UC2's boss was bullshit more in a straight-up lucky win sort of way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In general I'm not a big fan of last boss fights (and sometimes the run-up to them too where they start throwing ridiculously durable enemies at you), they are rarely anywhere near as fun for me as other parts of the game. I guess Uncharted is no exception.

I'm still on the fence about 3. I enjoyed 2 but at the same time, thinking back, I hardly remember any of it. It felt like playing a well-done but still not very memorable action movie.

But then, compared to what I take away from games like Dark and Demon's Souls, almost every game feels that way.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Complain all you want about the boss, but the rest of the game was amazing. My favorite part is the gunfight in collapsing building, right before the helicopter fight.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
Am I the only one that thought the final boss of U2 was incredibly easy? All you need to do is run and shoot the explosive stuff and you win.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

the truth posted:

Complain all you want about the boss, but the rest of the game was amazing. My favorite part is the gunfight in collapsing building, right before the helicopter fight.

Yes, best parts were definitely the set piece/fights, another one is in Nepal with the tank, you and Sully have to run from it and fight through the mercs. Pretty intense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The parts I remember from 2 are

- climbing through the train as it slipped off the cliff

- fighting tanks in the Tibetan town

- swimming in the swimming pool on top of the hotel going "Marco!!"

...that's really about it. In retrospect it wasn't enough to justify a purchase for me, I think.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Samurai Sanders posted:

...that's really about it. In retrospect it wasn't enough to justify a purchase for me, I think.

You've never played the multiplayer?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

You've never played the multiplayer?
Oh, I did a little bit, but I'm really not into multiplayer shooters anymore, I haven't been since high school. Every once in a while I turn on TF2 and play that a bit, but that's all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 22, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

It was, in every way, a bigger, more in-depth, more rounded and impressive game than Uncharted 1.

... so if you're saying that Uncharted isn't a series for you - totally understood. But if you're saying Uncharted 1 was more worthy of your money, you might want to give it another go / check for rose tinted glasses. As it stands, it rates pretty high in terms of sequels that raise the bar for a series.

EDIT: VV Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it's pretty much just a solidly put together character action game with a decent plot, and excellent graphics. But, the graphics of Uncharted 1 probably seemed more impressive at the time, compared to... the not a whole lot else that was pushing the PS3.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

It was, in every way, a bigger, more in-depth, more rounded and impressive game than Uncharted 1.

... so if you're saying that Uncharted isn't a series for you - totally understood. But if you're saying Uncharted 1 was more worthy of your money, you might want to give it another go / check for rose tinted glasses.
Oh I guess I never brought up 1, I felt about the same about that game. However, at the time of 1, the character animation was unmatched, that's what impressed me the most about the game. Even now it is still absolutely top-tier, but it has much more competition now from Assassin's Creed and the like.

edit: The other thing is that I am moving away from games that are set up to emulate movies.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 22, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, Uncharted 2 was a hell of a game. The train thing, the tank scene, fighting that damned helicopter, the other train thing, the snow level (which I found weirdly scary)...I'm sure I'm leaving bits out. Might need to do a speed run on both Uncharted's before 3.

After Batman.
And DX.
And hopefully before Assassins Creed.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played through it when it came out, and haven't played it again since, but I think I can remember almost the whole thing. The train sequence in particular was one of the most memorable set pieces from recent memory.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I hit the ice cave ruins or whatever in Uncharted 2 and lost interest. Everything was light blue and I couldn't find my way through, plus I'd been losing interest throughout.

Kind of a shame because I do like the game, but I get the feeling if I picked it back up I'd just put it right back down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would consider the ice caves a "break" if you so call it. Not very crazy (yeah I know haha, the monster) but after that it picks back up. It gets a bit hectic again.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They're not very long, either. What a weird place to stop.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I couldn't find where to go next after a good half an hour or so of searching. It's kind of offputting considering they even poke fun at bland brown environments yet that entire section is just bright, light blue everything and the path isn't even remotely readable in parts.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
There were a few areas in Uncharted 2 where I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what ledge I had to grab onto as well. But that whole ice section for me was just so atmospheric, and it was great Hangin' With Tenzen.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

sentrygun posted:

I couldn't find where to go next after a good half an hour or so of searching. It's kind of offputting considering they even poke fun at bland brown environments yet that entire section is just bright, light blue everything and the path isn't even remotely readable in parts.

I think you might have had to squeeze through a narrow spot, but even if you got lost couldn't you just reload it and follow Tenzen?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's impossible for me to think of any part of Uncharted 2 that I didn't like or didn't feel memorable. It was just one amazing setpiece after another.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

the truth posted:

I think you might have had to squeeze through a narrow spot, but even if you got lost couldn't you just reload it and follow Tenzen?

Pretty sure it was one of the segments where he stares at you while while you go off to the side and hit some levers or something. I know I wasn't following him because I'd have some actual direction if that were the case.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just beat LA Noire. God drat, once it all came together, it was really amazing and the story was really good.

I'm confused about one of the trophies though. Killing people using every weapon in the game. Did I need to kill someone using the flamethrower? Because if so, there was never an opportunity to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't it. No idea what guns I'm missing.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 22, 2011

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sentrygun posted:

Pretty sure it was one of the segments where he stares at you while while you go off to the side and hit some levers or something. I know I wasn't following him because I'd have some actual direction if that were the case.

There are a few confusing parts in the ice cave but you're always in a small area with a limited amount of possible ways to go, not really hard just to look around to find a ledge.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Wandle Cax posted:

There are a few confusing parts in the ice cave but you're always in a small area with a limited amount of possible ways to go, not really hard just to look around to find a ledge.
There was a specific part where you had to walk through a narrow easy-to-miss passage that had me completely stumped. I had to find a video walkthrough.

The artistic direction in there is suspect. It's very pretty, but navigating and figuring out which bits are important vs which are not was tricky in spots.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Shalinor posted:

There was a specific part where you had to walk through a narrow easy-to-miss passage that had me completely stumped. I had to find a video walkthrough.

The artistic direction in there is suspect. It's very pretty, but navigating and figuring out which bits are important vs which are not was tricky in spots.

Yeah, I'm sure it's something like this. I had been playing the game for a few hours and was getting pretty tired of it when I hit that spot, so it probably didn't help. I'm just going to watch the LP going of it instead though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

In general I'm not a big fan of last boss fights (and sometimes the run-up to them too where they start throwing ridiculously durable enemies at you), they are rarely anywhere near as fun for me as other parts of the game. I guess Uncharted is no exception.

Boss fights are good in games that are actually structured around having bosses. The problem comes when you have a game like Uncharted which has no bosses until the very end of the game. I mean there are plenty of games where the Boss battles are the best part, but those games are the ones where bosses feel like a part of the game rather than something that was thrown in because you feel the developer felt they had to.

It's really odd because I don't really recall this really being a problem until this gen.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The new SSX game cannot get here soon enough. There has never been anything like that series, and it's the thing I miss the absolute most about my long-dead PS2.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have any tips for playing Uncharted 1 on Crushing difficulty? Pretty much anything I try that got me through hard mode (fist of steel and the like) just seem to get me killed.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

This is probably not a revelation to anyone in here, but Batman: Arkham City is an absolute masterpiece. It's basically everything you could want from a sequel and unbelieveably, the combat is actually even better (which I for one thought was impossible).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love the Batclaw combat move where he pulls a guy, clothslines them and then when the guy is in the air he SLAMS him into the ground.

I also learned last night to not throw batarangs at Tyger choppers. They don't enjoy it and will open fire.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

So, Rocketbirds on PSN. Did anyone buy the full version?

I was super hyped for it, but after trying the demo, it seems... well, bad. The music is excellent and the art's pretty boss (which made for great trailers), but the actual mechanics appear to be complete rear end. It controls awkwardly, every single level appears to be "go from left to right and hold down the trigger," and even the shooting feels limp and relatively crappy. They throw down a few colored keys to doors, I guess to break it up, yet those keys are never even remotely hidden and you usually just stumble across them as you're running from left to right holding down the fire button. Then you find a rocketpack, with similarly poo poo controls and dull gameplay.

Kinda curious if it gets any better, or if this is... it?

This is from a page or so ago but I can't believe how bad this game was (at least the demo). I'm a sucker for games with style and this game has that up the wazoo but the gameplay was atrocious. The movement felt really jerky the the gunplay was unbelievably dull. I don't think I've seen a game with worse gunplay. I kind of gave up on the rocket section because, while it seemed to control a little better, the camera was awful.

I also kind of hated the music and didn't think it fit the game at all.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing Uncharted 1 on Crushing difficulty? Pretty much anything I try that got me through hard mode (fist of steel and the like) just seem to get me killed.

The hardest part is right after the plane crashes, before you get to the fort.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I vaguely remember a tip in the PS3 thread at the time being to not use the cover system and just stand around corners on a really steep angle so as not to expose your self to fire.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

dishwasherlove posted:

I vaguely remember a tip in the PS3 thread at the time being to not use the cover system and just stand around corners on a really steep angle so as not to expose your self to fire.

Yeah, Uncharted like many third person shooters doesn't actually check to make sure the gun you're shooting isn't obstructed. So you can just stand in front of a wall or pillar, pull the gun out, and aim the crosshair to make shots that are physically impossible. That's what I did for 1's crushing difficulty anyway on the second time playing through that difficulty.

Bizarrely enough, enemies that shoot at you while you're doing this can sometimes still hit you even though you're behind a solid wall. Probably just the universe trying to balance things out.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

TheUkuleleFanboy posted:

Yeah, don't do it! It's seriously unfun and unless you're gunning for the platinum I wouldn't bother. Get really good at headshots because everyone is a bullet sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I just beat LA Noire. God drat, once it all came together, it was really amazing and the story was really good.

I'm confused about one of the trophies though. Killing people using every weapon in the game. Did I need to kill someone using the flamethrower? Because if so, there was never an opportunity to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't it. No idea what guns I'm missing.

I don't know what other guns you might have missed, but the one that I missed which threw me for a loop was the handgun you get at the start of the game when you're a beat cop. I think your only chance to use it is during the bank robbery in the intro stuff, and you have to purposefully ditch the shotgun to use it.

• Locked thread