Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Jamesman posted:

I just beat LA Noire. God drat, once it all came together, it was really amazing and the story was really good.

I'm confused about one of the trophies though. Killing people using every weapon in the game. Did I need to kill someone using the flamethrower? Because if so, there was never an opportunity to do so.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't it. No idea what guns I'm missing.

Edit: drat how did I miss that the guy before me noted it?

vvv Yeah you'll need a map for those golden reels. Team Bondi stuck them in really obscure, out of the way locations that like 99% of which you'll never come remotely close to visiting throughout the game. It's also a real shame, because a lot of them are in locations that would have been really cool to visit for the story but go shamelessly underutilized.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Overlord K posted:

I don't know what other guns you might have missed, but the one that I missed which threw me for a loop was the handgun you get at the start of the game when you're a beat cop. I think your only chance to use it is during the bank robbery in the intro stuff, and you have to purposefully ditch the shotgun to use it.

That was the one.

Now I just have a few odds and ends to finish up if I want plat, and then consider getting the DLC later one when/if it drops in price after they released the collected edition disc.

I never saw a single gold film reel the entire time I played through the game, so I'm gonna have to use a map to find them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Roosterteeth did a pretty video guide for the Film Reels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9nF52yGSA

I recommend using a video guide, because with just a map they're still tricky to find.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I used to be a fan of SOCOM until it seems like Zipper stopped taking constructive input from fans. Now the series croaked and the PSN downtime didn't help. :qq:
I find COD's fast pace and arcade feel rewarding so maybe I'm a doomed nerd stuck in the vortex.

Where the Tekken fans at!?? (TTT2 :) )

SpacePig posted:

I haven't tried it out single-player, but OKABU is so much fun as a co-op game. My friend and i kinda have different methods towards playing games, but this one is pretty easy for us to get along on.

Also, we managed to find a way to break the game to give us infinite water within the first 5 minutes, and also found a palce in the first level where we fell through the level geometry. We thought we found a secret path or somehting.:(

Share your rain wisdom :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jamesman posted:

That was the one.

Now I just have a few odds and ends to finish up if I want plat, and then consider getting the DLC later one when/if it drops in price after they released the collected edition disc.

I never saw a single gold film reel the entire time I played through the game, so I'm gonna have to use a map to find them.

LA Noire's very, very easy to plat but also extremely tedious. Go for it if the thought of zigzaggin through the whole city again and again in search of that one elusive car/film reel you're missing (there are some very usefuls trick for this one, though, should be in for example PS3trophies.org's trophy guide) doesn't sound like a terrible time. At least you'll get to look at nice environments and cool old cars :) Also remember that the Rockstar Club thing exists and very handily shows you everything you're missing. Use it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 22, 2011

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

whip posted:

Never really touched the Tag series, but I pop in T6 every now and again.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

whip posted:

I've always preferred the '3d fighters' like Tekken and Soulcalibur to the traditional ones and I can't wait for either. Just hunting Youtube for the soundtrack is enough to get me seriously pumped.

TTT2 had better have more excellent endings.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Stelas posted:

TTT2 had better have more excellent endings.

Now I feel like I missed out. I've always loved the Tekken cinematics. I would almost buy the original for these.

\/\/\/ I can barely beat that rear end in a top hat last boss with my best 3 characters, but I'm almost motivated to try now

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 22, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BlindNinja posted:

Now I feel like I missed out. I've always loved the Tekken cinematics. I would almost buy the original for these.

That one's actually straight out of Tekken 6. Every time I see it it reminds me to go back and finish off arcade mode with everyone else, but I never find the time.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So in DX:HR, is it possible to "save" the second boss's life? They hint at it but the cinematic shows her seemingly dead, and I even tried to drag her out to the helicopter but nothing, I was thinking maybe Jensen would say "We need to take her to a hospital" or something. Threw me off when Jensen said he would/might try to save her if Eliza kept answering questions

drat this game is good.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindNinja posted:

Never really touched the Tag series, but I pop in T6 every now and again.

Do you play on PS3 or XBOX?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Stelas posted:

That one's actually straight out of Tekken 6. Every time I see it it reminds me to go back and finish off arcade mode with everyone else, but I never find the time.

So does Arcade mode in 6 actually give you the traditional goofy endings? Those are one of my favorite things about the series, and I was put off from 6 upon hearing that all the ending just tied into the lame campaign they put in (among other things).

That, and they're effing up the movie just to cater to Japanese demographics more. Who wants to follow Xiaoyu and Random Robot Girl instead of the Mishimas?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yodzilla posted:

Similar to Shank I feel like Rocketbirds is one of those games with nice art and awesome animation but falls way short on gameplay.
This. Also it's the most half-assed dialog. It's like the characters all have Mono...

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I haven't seen anyone talking about Need For Speed: The Run, undoubtedly because the trailers have looked like poo poo. After how awesome Hot Pursuit was, I was disappointed.

However, there's a demo now and while it's definitely not as fun (less arcade, no drifting around corners insanely), the concept still holds potential. Reportedly 186 miles (linear, but more than Hot Pursuit) in hopefully interesting environments. The demo has a couple of flashes of driving through the Midwest, which I never thought any driving game would do, and I'm excited to see if they capture just how rolling some of those hills can be. Really, I'm excited to see how well they do the best of all the regions of the US the race passes through. It could be so fantastic!

Anyway, the demo was surprisingly not terrible. I ended up preordering it because you get $10 Amazon-wide credit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

vote_no posted:

I haven't seen anyone talking about Need For Speed: The Run, undoubtedly because the trailers have looked like poo poo. After how awesome Hot Pursuit was, I was disappointed.

However, there's a demo now and while it's definitely not as fun (less arcade, no drifting around corners insanely), the concept still holds potential. Reportedly 186 miles (linear, but more than Hot Pursuit) in hopefully interesting environments. The demo has a couple of flashes of driving through the Midwest, which I never thought any driving game would do, and I'm excited to see if they capture just how rolling some of those hills can be. Really, I'm excited to see how well they do the best of all the regions of the US the race passes through. It could be so fantastic!

Anyway, the demo was surprisingly not terrible. I ended up preordering it because you get $10 Amazon-wide credit.

The demo was pretty bland though. The Avalanche was a neat idea but the general gameplay feels stagnant as poo poo.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

whip posted:

Do you play on PS3 or XBOX?

PS3. PSN is TheBlindNinja, if you wanna play some rounds some time.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindNinja posted:

PS3. PSN is TheBlindNinja, if you wanna play some rounds some time.

PSN is Channin, your soul is mine

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Behonkiss posted:

So does Arcade mode in 6 actually give you the traditional goofy endings?

Oh, yeah, just go turfing through Youtube and you'll turn up a ton of fun ones, many of which involve various members of the Mishima family ejecting other members of the Mishima family into space, or Lee just sitting in the background giving hearty thumbs ups, or Paul/Law/Steve being idiots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Infamous 2 DLC is still in "pre-order" and frankly this close it'd be stupid not to just buy it now. Its only 9.99 instead of 14.99 on Tuesday.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

muscles like this? posted:

The Infamous 2 DLC is still in "pre-order" and frankly this close it'd be stupid not to just buy it now. Its only 9.99 instead of 14.99 on Tuesday.
Will it be a Tuesday-only deal, or will it stretch over a few days?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Will it be a Tuesday-only deal, or will it stretch over a few days?

He means it's $9.99 now, instead of $14.99 starting Tuesday.

Edit: As pointed out below, he's wrong though. The price is going to be $9.99.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 23, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Aphrodite posted:

He means it's $9.99 now, instead of $14.99 starting Tuesday.

Where I'm looking I haven't noticed anything that says it's going to be 15 outside of the pre-order deadline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This link says the price is supposed to be $15. So I don't know if that means they changed it or what.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$9.99 is confirmed on the PS Blog here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/21/drink-up-infamous-festival-of-blood-on-tuesday/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That description of it is faintly confusing. They're adding more level editor components, but it's a standalone? Does that mean that the standalone DLC has all the editor content from the first game? Or just a limited subset? Or does the base game integrate with it to a degree?

Good to hear that Move support is coming, though. Popping headshots should be all the easier with a cursor.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm going to cross post this from the PSN Store thread since that seems a bit slow...

How does Xenogears hold up today? I haven't played it since it was new years and years ago, and even then I was too young to appreciate it. I just wanted to beat up poo poo with robots in my RPG and I didn't bother to make sense of the story. Would it be worth picking up now to play on my PS3?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm going to cross post this from the PSN Store thread since that seems a bit slow...

How does Xenogears hold up today? I haven't played it since it was new years and years ago, and even then I was too young to appreciate it. I just wanted to beat up poo poo with robots in my RPG and I didn't bother to make sense of the story. Would it be worth picking up now to play on my PS3?
Honestly I think it has aged very poorly, especially in the dungeon designs, they were pretty infuriating to me, and I ended up setting it aside.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly I think it has aged very poorly, especially in the dungeon designs, they were pretty infuriating to me, and I ended up setting it aside.

It is also filled with WALLS of text, and is long as hell. I think the first (and only) time I beat it, my timer was like 75 hours or so. This was back when I played RPGs like mad and was pretty quick with them.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. FIFA 12 - 56 countries
2. Call of Duty Black Ops - 49 countries
3. Gran Turismo 5 - 40 countries
4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 22 countries
5. Batman Arkham City - 22 countries

6. Modern Warfare 2 - 20 countries
7. FIFA 11 - 18 countries
8. Dark Souls - 13 countries

Other games appearing in under 10 countries each, in no order:
GTA IV, Pro Evolution Soccer 11, NHL 12, Uncharted 2, Driver San Francisco, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Tales of Xillia, God of War 3, Rugby Challenge, Dynasty Warriors 6/7 Chinese ver., Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Madden NFL 12, Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil 5, Mortal Kombat, NBA 2K12, Rage, Killzone 3, Winning Eleven 2012, Ace Combat Assault Horizon

Batman Arkham City shot up in a bunch of places, while Dark Souls appeared all over Asia and some parts of Europe and North America.

Top 5 in the places talked about here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 24, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I got really frustrated with how the camera was so zoomed-in and you couldn't change it. I mean, the cutscenes would zoom the camera out to a comfortable distance. What the hell?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gently caress Demon's Souls. I've given it two solid chances now, and I absolutely hate this game. I constantly see people in here lauding it for being 'fair' but gently caress THAT there is nothing fair about this game*. Arrows that curve towards me mid-air, enemies that break their own animations to hit me, a completely retarded and obtuse system of icons for every possible stat... This is straight bullshit. I'm not even selling this game, I'm going to hoard this copy forever, because no one should play this, ever.

*I'm not talking about how the trash enemies can kill you. I actually like that. What is broken and anti-fun is the way the game CHEATS to gently caress you. It can't stand on its own legs so it has to bend the rules. That's bad design.

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 24, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Chard posted:

gently caress Demon's Souls. I've given it two solid chances now, and I absolutely hate this game. I constantly see people in here lauding it for being 'fair' but gently caress THAT there is nothing fair about this game*. Arrows that curve towards me mid-air, enemies that break their own animations to hit me, a completely retarded and obtuse system of icons for every possible stat... This is straight bullshit. I'm not even selling this game, I'm going to hoard this copy forever, because no one should play this, ever.

*I'm not talking about how the trash enemies can kill you. I actually like that. What is broken and anti-fun is the way the game CHEATS to gently caress you. It can't stand on its own legs so it has to bend the rules. That's bad design.

Most people who recommend Demon's and Dark Souls do so with a sidenote that it's a hard game and that it isn't for everybody. The ones who don't really should be.

Out of curiosity though, I'd like to know how you were fighting. Arrows are easy to block if you're facing where they're coming from and can be rolled under when you can't afford to block them, and I can't think of a single enemy that 'breaks animations', just ones that are or aren't interrupted by your swings.

I'll agree that the stat icons in Demon's are pretty goddamn silly and Dark Souls having icons that actually kind of make sense for what they mean is a godsend.

Again though, not a game for everyone, but it's not the next-gen I Wanna Be The Guy or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dark Souls is the game we all recommend to everyone now anyways.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Most people who recommend Demon's and Dark Souls do so with a sidenote that it's a hard game and that it isn't for everybody. The ones who don't really should be.

Out of curiosity though, I'd like to know how you were fighting. Arrows are easy to block if you're facing where they're coming from and can be rolled under when you can't afford to block them, and I can't think of a single enemy that 'breaks animations', just ones that are or aren't interrupted by your swings.

I'll agree that the stat icons in Demon's are pretty goddamn silly and Dark Souls having icons that actually kind of make sense for what they mean is a godsend.

Again though, not a game for everyone, but it's not the next-gen I Wanna Be The Guy or something.

Yeah I still don't understand how flowing air is supposed to be dex.

Dark Souls is an improvement in every way from Demon Souls. Things have been ironed out a lot.

I'm with Sentry on this one I'd like to know what you mean by breaking animation?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Zain posted:

Yeah I still don't understand how flowing air is supposed to be dex.

That's one of few that at least kind of make sense, with Magic being flowy fumes going upwards coming in second in hardly making sense unless you stare at the stat screen too much.

Yeah I really have no idea why the gently caress they thought those icons were a good idea, since I get the feeling they didn't even make sense in Japan when it first came out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At least From Software had the decency to include a simple Explanation button in some of the menus.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm talking about how the basic skeleton guys from 1-1 can launch their powerful attack, and then they get about five seconds in which they can instantly snap into hitting me. There is literally no animation in between "I just attacked" and "dealing damage to Chard". Maybe my game is borked or something; it's jerky as hell where every other action is smooth. Also, arrows absolutely track, you can see it quite plainly.

And I didn't walk in blind, I expected this game to be hard, brutally hard. Hard I can handle, but when things are designed to gently caress you just because, that's bad design. Learning patterns is fine if those patterns actually loving hold each time, but they straight don't and I'm done. Enjoy it if you can, I guess.

e: First time I got all the way to Tower Knight with a Soldier, this weekend I tried Temple Knight and Hunter, both of which I liked more but still not enough to redeem this poo poo heap.

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 24, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Are you talking about them attacking and lurching forward?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They do a jumping lunge after which they have a rest state that, if I go in range, does instant damage. I'm blocking or dodging the first one, and not attacking. It can penetrate my guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Chard posted:

I'm talking about how the basic skeleton guys from 1-1 can launch their powerful attack, and then they get about five seconds in which they can instantly snap into hitting me. There is literally no animation in between "I just attacked" and "dealing damage to Chard". Maybe my game is borked or something; it's jerky as hell where every other action is smooth.

And I didn't walk in blind, I expected this game to be hard, brutally hard. Hard I can handle, but when things are designed to gently caress you just because, that's bad design. Learning patterns is fine if those patterns actually loving hold each time, but they straight don't and I'm done. Enjoy it if you can, I guess.

There aren't skeletons in world 1, but I assume you mean the ghoul/zombie looking enemies. They're an enemy type entirely defined by their extremely jerky, unpredictable motions. The combo you're talking about is them jumping at you with a heavy slash and then swinging around when the land, I assume, but I might be misremembering since it's been forever since I've had to fight them with much of an effort.

Hold your shield up to block their hits and put in a strike while they're recoiling from hitting your shield. Rinse and repeat, step it up a notch and try to flank them if you're feeling comfortable and try backstabbing them. Feel even riskier and have enough health to not get gibbed if you gently caress up? Try parrying them. Their motions are very predictable, but also have very slow wind-up times. If you can bait them into using their jumping attack, that's fairly easy to time parries on, but it's fairly devastating if you gently caress up and take it straight to the face. On new characters, I use them to practice parry timing by parrying that motion and it works for me almost every time.

If you're having problems attacking between strikes, try the Royal out. Ignoring the magic component, you start with a Rapier that can strike while you're guarding, making it a much safer weapon to use. Approach enemies with your shield up and poke at them until they die, retreat if your energy is getting too low to reliably block a blow.

Chard posted:

They do a jumping lunge after which they have a rest state that, if I go in range, does instant damage. I'm blocking or dodging the first one, and not attacking. It can penetrate my guard.

Oh wait, you're complaining about running into an active hitbox. Uh, okay. All I can tell you is to stop running into active attack animations I guess. Approach carefully, keep your shield up. Nothing in the first stage can break your guard unless you don't have enough energy or are trying to stand up against the Red Eye Knight, which you're not in this case.

• Locked thread