Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

GreenAcidRage posted:

Join the Naked Club! it is now A Thing with me having clubbed some poor sod to death just now. Run through the game at SL10, join the darkwraiths and invade people in the burg completely nude wielding a club. Bonus points for making your character so hideous it hurts to play him.

During a Black world tendency even for Demon's, part of formula for farming colourless souls was to invade (you know, back when everyone could do that at will). I came up with "the hotdog", which is a naked guy using the two heaviest tower shields in the game. My character's END was high enough to roll with them, too.

I won fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Glumwheels posted:

I'm playing through Demon's Souls before I get this game and the world tendency turned perfect black due to the October event. Is there anyway to get it back to neutral or do I have to wait until this week is over?

I think that if you start in offline mode and make a new character the WT will start as neutral. Barring that ya you just gotta wait it out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Gwyn's really easy. Except for when the game bugged out and he hit me from twice the range of his sword, killing me instantly, anyway. The parrying dagger is a lot more useful than I thought.

Oh, and he can walk and attack through the level geometry. Of course. And he won't do the blockable or parryable attacks this time. And iron flesh won't turn on. Great.

It is kind of funny that he has a parry for your parry, though.

OH GOOD he bugged out again at the last hit and got me stuck in the level geometry until I died. So I get to do everything over. Again. Because difficulty means repetition. Jesus Christ.

I DID IT! Praise the sun!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 22, 2011

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So Lost Izalith. That's fun. I love that the 'shortcut' you can take from Chaos just puts you right in the path of a giant rear end in a top hat demon that can one shot me at 1200 hp and 230 phys defense.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Defghanistan posted:

So Lost Izalith. That's fun. I love that the 'shortcut' you can take from Chaos just puts you right in the path of a giant rear end in a top hat demon that can one shot me at 1200 hp and 230 phys defense.

It beats the hell out of the alternative. Also, dodge.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think I'm going to try a shieldless 2 fist weapon run. Oh god why am I such a masochist.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Where does one obtain the Demon Spear?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/demon-spear

I thought it'd be a good candidate for a +5 upgrade from Demon Titanite, since it looks like I am going to be swimming in Demon Titanite soon.

Any other suggestions for what to do with all this demon titanite?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Dark ending question I just placed the Lordvessel for Kaanthe, or whatever his name is, and joined the Darkwraiths. To get the Dark ending do I just finish the game as before?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

waspinator posted:

I think I'm going to try a shieldless 2 fist weapon run. Oh god why am I such a masochist.
Wear the Wanderer set sans hood, so you look kind of like a scruffy Ryu / a wandering monk.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Defghanistan posted:

I thought it'd be a good candidate for a +5 upgrade from Demon Titanite, since it looks like I am going to be swimming in Demon Titanite soon.

That drops from the gargoyles in anor londo I believe.

and to Leyburn: no, you have to walk out of the endboss room instead of lighting the bonfire

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

waspinator posted:

Do it. Lightning in your right hand, fire in the left. I guess you could put a Dark Fist in your left for the 80% block, but you're not a sissy.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Defghanistan posted:

Doesn't Shiva (the Forest Hunter merchant) sell that, too?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Where is this shortcut to Lost Izalith that the Chaos Servant covenant opens up? Is it that big door-looking wall just past the bonfire? That's still closed for me, and I got to level 2 in the covenant for the fire spell, but I subsequently murdered egg-guy and spiderlady since I was joining a different covenant anyways. I still need to kill S&O, is this shortcut never going to open up now? :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Being in the Darkwraiths has really changed this game, now it goes

FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

potaties posted:

Where is this shortcut to Lost Izalith that the Chaos Servant covenant opens up? Is it that big door-looking wall just past the bonfire? That's still closed for me, and I got to level 2 in the covenant for the fire spell, but I subsequently murdered egg-guy and spiderlady since I was joining a different covenant anyways. I still need to kill S&O, is this shortcut never going to open up now? :(

It's not that area. The body of an NPC invader shows up there (the thorns guy I think) if you've faced him three times, I think. The shortcut is somewhere in the Demon Ruins? You may have to still be in the covenant for it to open :(

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Volitaire posted:

I think that if you start in offline mode and make a new character the WT will start as neutral. Barring that ya you just gotta wait it out.

Great, guess I just won't play for a week :rolleyes:.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

potaties posted:

Nope, no shortcut for you anymore. It's at the end of the Demon Ruins after you open the yellow fog doors, to the right before the first boss down there.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Being in the Darkwraiths has really changed this game, now it goes

FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE
FAILED TO INVADE

Which makes finding THE GUILTY a pain in the arse too :smith:

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So what are the options for PVP? Can you get cracked red eye orbs somewhere or are you forced to join darkwraith if you want to pvp?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Nope, no shortcut for you anymore. It's at the end of the Demon Ruins after you open the yellow fog doors, to the right before the first boss down there.

Oh well, not a huge deal I guess. Now I have to decide if I want to try and join up with the Darkwraiths on my first playthrough or wait until NG+ to give it a shot.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This game has consumed my life. I seriously cannot even bring myself to play another game. It just doesn't get old. WHY ARE YOU SO FUN, DARK SOULS, I CAN BEAT YOU BLINDFOLDED YET YOU HAUNT MY DREAMS!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
^^ Haha. I feel you. I can't stop playing it either. I've just placed the Lordvessel on my NG+, I'm gonna go for trophies for the rest of this playthrough then maybe do a new character. I full meleed this one (except some very limited tactical use of Fireball and bows), so I guess I should check out the magic options on my next go.

Macksy posted:

So what are the options for PVP? Can you get cracked red eye orbs somewhere or are you forced to join darkwraith if you want to pvp?

You can pick up 9 throughout the game, they will all break before you actually get to invade someone though if your experience is the same as mine. It only costs one humanity to get the uncracked, reusable version once you have joined the darkwraiths however.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 22, 2011

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
How do I get out of the Lost Izalith sewers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

waspinator posted:

This game has consumed my life. I seriously cannot even bring myself to play another game. It just doesn't get old. WHY ARE YOU SO FUN, DARK SOULS, I CAN BEAT YOU BLINDFOLDED YET YOU HAUNT MY DREAMS!

49 hours were put into this game, and now I want to put in another 49 as a pyromancer. I have other games to play. I have a job. :negative:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Macksy posted:

You can join Darkmoon Blades for something similar.

Forest Hunters allows for some relatively free-for-all sort of PvP in Darkroot. Equip the ring and you POTENTIALLY get summoned to fight off non-covenant. Path of the Dragon might also be serviceable. You get a repeat use item that lets you "invade" people carrying dragon scales. They can actually disregard your "invade" however.

So basically your only options are Darkmoon Blades, and Darkwraiths. Forest Hunters if you don't care WHERE you PvP.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the rough level most people take on Gaping Dragon at? I'm SL17 because I've dumped all my souls into getting my pyro hand to +10 and I really just want to help people out in that fight and farm humanity for the eventual Chaos shortcut.

I did hop into a fight against the Capra demon and roast him in a few hits and blew some dude's mind I'm sure. It's got a lovely return on it compared to the GD though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Glumwheels posted:

Great, guess I just won't play for a week :rolleyes:.

Give it a try you can probably make some progress. Some of the levels don't get that much harder in pure black. Not really sure how a new character is suppose to get past BP Satsuki though.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

What's the rough level most people take on Gaping Dragon at? I'm SL17 because I've dumped all my souls into getting my pyro hand to +10 and I really just want to help people out in that fight and farm humanity for the eventual Chaos shortcut.

Might be a TAD low, but 17 would be fine for assists. Just put your stone nearer the bonfire, instead of right outside the fog door.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Defghanistan posted:

The giant rear end in a top hat demon that can one shot you is much better than the other path with the army of giant rear end in a top hat demon legs that can stunlock you and lava for floor.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Toiwat posted:

The giant rear end in a top hat demon that can one shot you is much better than the other path with the army of giant rear end in a top hat demon legs that can stunlock you and lava for floor.

Yeah I can see that, also since I am dying endlessly it is giving me tons of titanite and more chances at the red titanite chunks from those little maggot things.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kiggles posted:

You can join Darkmoon Blades for something similar.

Forest Hunters allows for some relatively free-for-all sort of PvP in Darkroot. Equip the ring and you POTENTIALLY get summoned to fight off non-covenant. Path of the Dragon might also be serviceable. You get a repeat use item that lets you "invade" people carrying dragon scales. They can actually disregard your "invade" however.

So basically your only options are Darkmoon Blades, and Darkwraiths. Forest Hunters if you don't care WHERE you PvP.

The best way I've found to get in on some PvP action is to host in popular invading areas. If you hold off on killing Sif and just sit in body form in the woods around lvl 50-70 you'll be absolutely swarmed with invaders. Works pretty good in Anor Londo too. gently caress the covenants just let those jerks come to you.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Bed of Chaos is such bullshit. He keeps sweeping me into the holes in the floor like I am a piece of dust. I move like 100 yards every time I block one of his hands.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Leyburn posted:

Dark ending question I just placed the Lordvessel for Kaanthe, or whatever his name is, and joined the Darkwraiths. To get the Dark ending do I just finish the game as before?

Continued dark ending spoilers That has no affect on the ending, your actions after defeating the final boss determine which ending you get.

Defghanistan posted:

Bed of Chaos is such bullshit. He keeps sweeping me into the holes in the floor like I am a piece of dust. I move like 100 yards every time I block one of his hands.

Try to bait out its attacks, then running directly after it finishes them. There is no need to block the hands.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

bleep posted:

Try to bait out its attacks, then running directly after it finishes them. There is no need to block the hands.

Managed to make it right into the middle of him, soon as I got there a giant nuclear explosion killed me through my fire resistant armor and full block.

Wonderful, wasn't aware he was carrying a payload of daisy cutters!

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Ok, I'm confused, I'm trying to make the Greatsword of Astorias, the cursed version. I upgraded a regular Longsword to +10, and the Giant Blacksmith is only giving the option to turn into the regular version. Is the wiki backwards? Should I have upgraded a broken hilt one?

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I make it to the tomb of the giants bonfire without any lights. Light the bonfire. And then a giant skeleton rains down from the sky and kicks me off the side before I can rest.

I feel your pain, last night I was avoiding going to kill spider lady and decided I'd drain new londo. Big mistake, that room with 20+ ghosts is loving insane at lower levels. So I lost about 90k souls and 27 humanity that I had managed to save up from running gaping dragon :negative:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Volitaire posted:

The best way I've found to get in on some PvP action is to host in popular invading areas. If you hold off on killing Sif and just sit in body form in the woods around lvl 50-70 you'll be absolutely swarmed with invaders. Works pretty good in Anor Londo too. gently caress the covenants just let those jerks come to you.

This is good advice as well, since it means you can join Darkmoon Blades/Darkwaiths AS WELL, and still get the best of those and Forest Hunters, nevermind affording you an additional ring slot. The only downside is that you can be invaded by more than 1 Forest Hunter covenant member simultaneously. For these purposes I guess that might as well be a perk.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiggles posted:

This is good advice as well, since it means you can join Darkmoon Blades/Darkwaiths AS WELL, and still get the best of those and Forest Hunters, nevermind affording you an additional ring slot. The only downside is that you can be invaded by more than 1 Forest Hunter covenant member simultaneously. For these purposes I guess that might as well be a perk.

You also don't get any humanity from defeating forest hunter invaders - only regular red invaders drop it. You still get souls, however.

freeb0rn posted:

Doesn't Shiva (the Forest Hunter merchant) sell that, too?

He does. The white skinny demons in Anor Londo also have a not-insignificant chance to drop it.

*edit*

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

BigRoman posted:

So I just started at this game and I have a few questions:

1. Can you sell items you acquire? An to whom?
2. Can you drop items you aquire? I imagine carrying around 7 cracked shields cant be a good thing.
3. Is there a way to manually target an enemy for attack with a bow? All I can do is lock on and attack, which isnt much help because by the time I get close enough to lock on, Im usually better off using melee.
4. Do I need to reverse hollowing in order to summon help for boss fights?

1) Yes, to Kingseeker Frampt. He shows up after you ring both bells of awakening.
2) Yes. Just do it from the menu.
3) Hit L1/LB while two-handing the bow.
4) Yes. Otherwise there isn't a lot of reason to be in human form, though.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 22, 2011

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I just started at this game and I have a few questions:

1. Can you sell items you acquire? An to whom?
2. Can you drop items you aquire? I imagine carrying around 7 cracked shields cant be a good thing.
3. Is there a way to manually target an enemy for attack with a bow? All I can do is lock on and attack, which isnt much help because by the time I get close enough to lock on, Im usually better off using melee.
4. Do I need to reverse hollowing in order to summon help for boss fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Hey later today I'm going to need a goon run of Anor Lando's bosses. I have pink eye. It sure is funny, but this bandage is really messing with my depth perception.

edit - and it's messing with my typing...

invalid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 22, 2011

• Locked thread