Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Whats a good shield to use? I'm currently using elite knight with Pinwheel's mask and just below fat roll threshold.

I'm rocking balder shield for its 66 stability right now, and switching to crest when I need magic resistance. I want something with good stability or that I can upgrade for good stability.

Pyro/club basher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Whats a good shield to use? I'm currently using elite knight with Pinwheel's mask and just below fat roll threshold.

I'm rocking balder shield for its 66 stability right now, and switching to crest when I need magic resistance. I want something with good stability or that I can upgrade for good stability.

Pyro/club basher.

Hallow Soldier Shield. Max stability 85 making it the absolute highest stability by weight.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

NESguerilla posted:

I don't think I even ran into that character. I am at the beginning of NG+. I can always figure it out later on I guess, but I am pretty curious if are willing to explain.

So much stuff to miss in this game. Really felt I missed out on a lot of story and character stuff.

You have to kill the Four Kings before taking the Lord Vessel to Frampt to encounter Kaathe. He'll be in the abyss next to the bonfire.

Again, once you have the Lord Vessel, DO NOT TALK TO FRAMPT. Doing so automatically takes you to the altar, and Kaathe disappears. You can actually encounter Kaathe at any point in the game up to that point so long as you kill the Four Kings. You have to kill the guy who normally gives you the key to drain Londo Ruins if you choose to go there before getting the Lord Vessel, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Go defeat the 4 kings before giving Fraampt the Lord's Vessel. You will meet another serpent, Kaathe, who will provide both another covenant and a better perspective on what the plot of the game is.

Holy poo poo I was wondering why I could never find that guy. Guess that will give me an interesting goal for NG+.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Just curious, but what happens if you try to jump into the Abyss without wearing the ring? Do you die? If you take off the ring while walking around in it, do you die?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Kaathe is a liar and just trying to get what he wants by manipulating you. Preserve the status quo and usher in a new age of fire!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I used the grass crest shield for most of the game for the constant stamina regen

Got almost all the way through the game with that setup, actually. 95% physical resist was plenty good enough for me since I get the stamina anyway and now I can dodge more. Against the last boss it couldn't quite cut the mustard though - I had the Sun shield by then so I just switched to that.

I was lucky in getting the grass crest shield. I'm walking down the path and OH poo poo A KNIGHT and the knights coming at me on this cliffside and I'm trying to fight it but I know I'm dead. Then I get a lucky backstab with my halberd, where I run him through and then kick him off the polearm. Kicked him right off the cliff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

Just curious, but what happens if you try to jump into the Abyss without wearing the ring? Do you die? If you take off the ring while walking around in it, do you die?

You will die. At any point before the 4 kings die, you will die by removing the ring. Once they are slain I don't believe you need it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

big duck equals goose posted:

If you jump down, you die.

If you jump down with the ring on, and then take it off (like I tried) you go AAAAHHHHHH and you sink into the abyss. Then instead of YOU DIED, you get the message YOU WERE TAKEN BY THE ABYSS.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Barudak posted:

Hallow Soldier Shield. Max stability 85 making it the absolute highest stability by weight.

Can you buy or find a hollow soldier shield or do you have to kill them until they drop one?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I don't think I even ran into that character. I am at the beginning of NG+. I can always figure it out later on I guess, but I am pretty curious if are willing to explain.

So much stuff to miss in this game. Really felt I missed out on a lot of story and character stuff.

Basically, just never talk to Frampt, ever, for any reason.

e: This post is an example of why you should not reply without refreshing the page first.

Spiffo posted:

I used the grass crest shield for most of the game for the constant stamina regen

Got almost all the way through the game with that setup, actually. 95% physical resist was plenty good enough for me since I get the stamina anyway and now I can dodge more. Against the last boss it couldn't quite cut the mustard though - I had the Sun shield by then so I just switched to that.

I was lucky in getting the grass crest shield. I'm walking down the path and OH poo poo A KNIGHT and the knights coming at me on this cliffside and I'm trying to fight it but I know I'm dead. Then I get a lucky backstab with my halberd, where I run him through and then kick him off the polearm. Kicked him right off the cliff.

There's a ring that gives you the same stamina regen effect. I pretty much always use it. Highly recommend that thing over the shield.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 24, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

You will die. At any point before the 4 kings die, you will die by removing the ring. Once they are slain I don't believe you need it.
This is correct, I was pretty nervous about walking there without the ring even long after beating the four kings, and finally I tried it with it off, and I was okay.

edit: I've never tried jumping down from the londo ruins though, only going there via the bonfire teleport. For all I know, if you try it that way you just splatter on the abyss floor.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 24, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Cosmik Debris posted:

Can you buy or find a hollow soldier shield or do you have to kill them until they drop one?

Murder some armored up undead with the Covetous Serpent Ring on if you've gotten that far and don't have one yet. It's more than worth it to do so, the shield is amazing upgraded. I was using a +10 one during my O+S fight and they never broke my guard.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Hatter106 posted:

Painted world question: is there a trick to killing the zombie dragon? I tried head-on, got swiped once and killed. I tried looking through that coliseum area for a place to jump on him but didn't find any appropriate ledges.
Help?

If you have a bow or magic you can stand on the right-hand corner (if you're facing him) of the platform and you'll be safe. See normally when he does the puke attack it will saturate the whole platform but if you stand there a bunch of it will fall off the bridge and the rest will flow right past you.

Great puke physics in this game

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Best possible option: try to assist while wearing the Cat Covenant Ring.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Lost 8 liquid humanity to the four kings. :negative: What killed me is the weird clip angle the first king has as he descends to you - it really seems like you should be able to hit him and your weapon will just go right through his legs, for about the first second or two. I panicked and thought I needed a transient curse to damage them, and then died.

Came back after a few (unsuccessful) tries at making a shortcut faster than just taking the elevator in the first ghost-filled building down. This impatience is actually what cost me the 8 humanity; nothing in the level is really that dangerous.

Came back and fed them my fury(blade). Finished the fight with 2 estus left. Fun fight!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why are you guys talking about the Gargoyle Helm? I got one from my boss fight, which seemed lucky, but it doesn't seem that much better than my old stuff.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phenotype posted:

Why are you guys talking about the Gargoyle Helm? I got one from my boss fight, which seemed lucky, but it doesn't seem that much better than my old stuff.

It's really good for its weight.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
It upgrades quite well and has a huge amount of poise for its low weight.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

So sick of wasting humanity on talentless people. Don't put down a summon sign if you have no idea what you're doing.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Kaathe is a liar and just trying to get what he wants by manipulating you. Preserve the status quo and usher in a new age of fire!

Why would Kaathe lie, though? It's not clear if there's anything to gain by using you, while Frampt is obviously buddies with Gwyn, and would do whatever in his power to continue his age. It could just be a plot hole, I guess? v:shobon:v

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I'm running my 360 on a CRT using a 360 cga cable, anyone know if there's a way to make dark souls run in 4:3?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I was having a lot of fun with the cat covenant ring today. I got 3 kills in my first 3 attempts, first was a fight I won straight up, second someone else got him for me, and in the third, he was hiding by the stairs, I jumped on their head and we both fell off the ledge, but credit for the kill. But ever since then all I've ran into are people with white phantoms and fog rings who just obliterate and outclass me in every way. But it's risk free, get an item and free souls if I win, and absolutely no penalty if I lose (and I can get summoned every 3-5 minutes).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Isn't siding with kaathe considered the "true" ending to the plot?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

DarkArchimedes posted:

You have to kill the Four Kings before taking the Lord Vessel to Frampt to encounter Kaathe. He'll be in the abyss next to the bonfire.

Again, once you have the Lord Vessel, DO NOT TALK TO FRAMPT. Doing so automatically takes you to the altar, and Kaathe disappears. You can actually encounter Kaathe at any point in the game up to that point so long as you kill the Four Kings. You have to kill the guy who normally gives you the key to drain Londo Ruins if you choose to go there before getting the Lord Vessel, though.

Question on this!
I talked to Frampt, but did NOT place the Lordvessel, because I wasn't sure if it would forfeit my Warp ability (have since learned that it won't, not my question), and instead used a Homeward Bone to get out of that room. Do you know if this still will have done away with my option to meet Kaathe?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merauder posted:

Question on this!
I talked to Frampt, but did NOT place the Lordvessel, because I wasn't sure if it would forfeit my Warp ability (have since learned that it won't, not my question), and instead used a Homeward Bone to get out of that room. Do you know if this still will have done away with my option to meet Kaathe?

You can place it with Kaathe and still warp. You do lose the ability to have Fraampt munch on your items for souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

apple posted:

Why would Kaathe lie, though? It's not clear if there's anything to gain by using you, while Frampt is obviously buddies with Gwyn, and would do whatever in his power to continue his age. It could just be a plot hole, I guess? v:shobon:v

I think the point is that there's no real proof either way so read into it how you want to.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Barudak posted:

You can place it with Kaathe and still warp. You do lose the ability to have Fraampt munch on your items for souls.

Okay, thanks. The previous post made it sound like Kaathe going away for good wasn't tied to actually placing the Lordvessel so much as it was simply talking to Frampt.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Talking to Frampt seems like such a waste. If you go with Kaathe, you get a neat looking shield that can suck humanity out of things, as well as the possibility of picking up a red eye orb, a new sword, and skeletor armor. If you chat with Frampt, you gain the ability to sell your poo poo for a pitiful amount of souls to the point where it's just a waste of time to try, and as well as the option of ruining your slabs and chunks. You also get to hear creepy teeth clicking noises every time you're at firelink. gently caress you, Frampt.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
I felt bad about invading in the burg with my Red Eye Orb, even though I was naked and using only the Dark Hand a pyromancy offhand for looks (don't even have a spell attuned) so I threw down a summon sign. First guy who summons me is a guy I previously killed, so I wave and equip my +5 Lightning Spear and Stone Armor, and proceed to three shot the Gargoyle and two shot it's friend. I sent him a message saying "Jolly Co-operation" and he responded with "Thou art insane, friend."
:3:

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
So after finally beating the game for the first time today, I've embarked on a ninja gaiden run. No-shield (or as close to no-shield as I can manage), a katana, woodgrain ring, and the fireball spell. (Not sure which armor I'll wear yet, maybe painting guardian for the ninja look)

I will say even without blocking the game is a lot easier the second go around, I didn't have my first death until I fought the Bell Gargoyle and my death was only due to getting caught between the two flame breaths without any protection. Also I know people were saying two hand playthroughs aren't as viable due to less invincibility frames compared to demon's souls, but I find as long as I roll around when the strike would land I get away just fine. I never played demon's souls so I can't compare but was it really a lot more lenient than this?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Primetime posted:

So after finally beating the game for the first time today, I've embarked on a ninja gaiden run. No-shield (or as close to no-shield as I can manage), a katana, woodgrain ring, and the fireball spell. (Not sure which armor I'll wear yet, maybe painting guardian for the ninja look)

I will say even without blocking the game is a lot easier the second go around, I didn't have my first death until I fought the Bell Gargoyle and my death was only due to getting caught between the two flame breaths without any protection. Also I know people were saying two hand playthroughs aren't as viable due to less invincibility frames compared to demon's souls, but I find as long as I roll around when the strike would land I get away just fine. I never played demon's souls so I can't compare but was it really a lot more lenient than this?

Demon's Souls was incredibly lenient with dodging. A good player who knows what strikes to expect shouldn't take any damage as long as they have enough room to roll around.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, I thought talking to the saint girl would grant you access to advanced miracles if you're human, but it didn't. Apparently there aren't really advanced miracles. What you get from solaire and thorouland and the drops throughout the game are what you get.

This really pissed me off, so I went ahead and killed all of them. The saint drops an awesome talisman and 7 humanities.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
If I leave Kaathe's covenant the peaceful way, will he be chilling down there in the abyss for me to rejoin later if I feel like it?

Also, I hate that some people bow right before PvP. Yes I'm honorable enough to wait for you to kill the in-game monsters if you want to. But when you're done with that and I wait for you to heal, when I walk over, I'm not walking over to shake hands. I feel like way more of a dick when I see them go down for a bow while my halberd is plunging at them.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, I thought talking to the saint girl would grant you access to advanced miracles if you're human, but it didn't. Apparently there aren't really advanced miracles. What you get from solaire and thorouland and the drops throughout the game are what you get.

This really pissed me off, so I went ahead and killed all of them. The saint drops an awesome talisman and 7 humanities.

She offers them later... assuming she's still alive later ;)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

apple posted:

I don't think he's lying when he says (plot spoilers) that some humans are the descendant of the pygmy or anything like that, I think he's lying about his own stated benevolence in order to start an age that's beneficial to his own kind, and humans essentially become Hollows or Darkwraiths. Considering the last time he just seemingly gave 4 guys the art of lifedrain and they went mad with power, maybe appealing to someone and saying that The One True Path is to usher in a new age that's better for humans even if it isn't true might be a better plan than whatever he did with the Four Kings was. Whether this is better than the current state of humans being ruled over by Godkings from Medieval Mount Olympus while slowly losing their humanity because the age of fire needs a new king is a matter of perspective

Also the art of lifedrain is essentially the art of taking people's humanity for your own personal gain....seems kinda bad to me

Granted that's just me jumping to conclusions though! In any case, I really doubt both sides are truly on the level with you anyway. So I guess the real lesson is should we change or should things stay the same? Thank you FROM....Thank you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kaathe's methods are evil, but the end result he's going for is the "right" one.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blighttown done, Queelag is no more, did it on my first try to. I assume Maneater mildred is one of those planned invaders?

Also I bumped into some spider thing downstairs that I can enter into a covenant with, should I? I don't know a drat thing about these stupid covenants.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Alteisen posted:

Blighttown done, Queelag is no more, did it on my first try to. I assume Maneater mildred is one of those planned invaders?

Also I bumped into some spider thing downstairs that I can enter into a covenant with, should I? I don't know a drat thing about these stupid covenants.

Yes, and you cannot screw yourself if you join a covenant so don't worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Brian Fellows posted:

If I leave Kaathe's covenant the peaceful way, will he be chilling down there in the abyss for me to rejoin later if I feel like it?

Yep, as long as you don't break the covenant (the only way for that one is to hit Kaathe I believe) you can join again anytime minus 1 rank just like all the other covenants.

• Locked thread