Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just had a terrible experience. I joined a random custom game of 13 non English speakers in perfectly tuned super cars who all proceeded to destroy me over and over even as I raced cleaner and better laps than I have ever. gently caress them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
I've been messing around with a very grippy AWD A600 tuning setup for the '09 Focus RS, I have a car with this tune applied shared on the LLJK garage if anybody wants to check it out.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Ive been playing with all assists off for the past week and I figured Id finally make the leap from manual to manual+clutch. Now I have what may seem like a dumb series of questions, but Ive never driven a manual car in my life, so Im new to this... What's the proper technique for starting the race? Should I be holding the clutch during my launch? Secondly, should I release the throttle as I shift up or is it okay to shift up while still hammering the throttle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

msross posted:

Ive been playing with all assists off for the past week and I figured Id finally make the leap from manual to manual+clutch. Now I have what may seem like a dumb series of questions, but Ive never driven a manual car in my life, so Im new to this... What's the proper technique for starting the race? Should I be holding the clutch during my launch? Secondly, should I release the throttle as I shift up or is it okay to shift up while still hammering the throttle?

Speaking in real car terms: you want your foot off the clutch pedal as much as possible. Half-pressing the pedal does work, but it'll wear the clutch out faster and if you really overdo it, it'll gag everyone with the smell of burning clutch fluid. There are a few limited cases where a slow release of the clutch is desirable, but they don't really exist in racing. To start a race, set your RPM with the clutch held in, then release the clutch.

You do want to release the throttle while shifting. If you don't, you'll probably hit the rev limiter and everyone will laugh at you for being a newbie. It also applies additional wear to the clutch.

The "perfect" shift is one where you match the rpm of the engine with the rpm of the transmission in the new gear you're selecting, which introduces skills such as double clutching. Don't worry about it with Forza though, as it doesn't simulate straight cut gears.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

xzzy posted:

Speaking in real car terms: you want your foot off the clutch pedal as much as possible. Half-pressing the pedal does work, but it'll wear the clutch out faster and if you really overdo it, it'll gag everyone with the smell of burning clutch fluid. There are a few limited cases where a slow release of the clutch is desirable, but they don't really exist in racing. To start a race, set your RPM with the clutch held in, then release the clutch.

You do want to release the throttle while shifting. If you don't, you'll probably hit the rev limiter and everyone will laugh at you for being a newbie. It also applies additional wear to the clutch.

The "perfect" shift is one where you match the rpm of the engine with the rpm of the transmission in the new gear you're selecting, which introduces skills such as double clutching. Don't worry about it with Forza though, as it doesn't simulate straight cut gears.

As a bit of a layperson when it comes to cars, who nonetheless knows how to drive a a stick-shift, how does Forza handle the clutch? Is it just an extra button to hold down when I shift the gears, or does rev-matching matter?

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 24, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

As a bit of a layperson when it comes to cars, who knows how to drive a a stick-shift, how does Forza handle the clutch? Is it just an extra button to hold down when I shift the gears, or does rev-matching matter?

I've never played Forza with a real analog clutch. But if you have the clutch assigned to one of the controller buttons, it's just an on/off toggle. It allows for some really glitchy shifting that would never work in a real car.

I assume when the clutch is on an analog device it's somewhat more realistic. I don't think it cares about rev matching though.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

DrankSinatra posted:

As a bit of a layperson when it comes to cars, who nonetheless knows how to drive a a stick-shift, how does Forza handle the clutch? Is it just an extra button to hold down when I shift the gears, or does rev-matching matter?

Both. You can just tap clutch at the same time as shift and the game's okay with it. But if you want to hold the clutch in and rev-match or brake assuring the clutch is disengaged you can do all of that too.

e: The game so doesn't care about clutch wear that you really have to do something extraordinary to cause damage. Rev matching in that sense is out, but balancing your car through corners is beautiful.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

I couldn't find it either.

I had checked there a few times already before I asked. It says I have no large media files. And yea, I did upload a picture to the storefront.

Kinda frustrating.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 24, 2011

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

With the analog clutch, if you don't rev match, you will certainly upset the car in braking zones. Skittish rear wheel drive cars make this obvious.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm absolute rubbish at the livery editor, but some of our more artistically minded goons may be interested in this contest.

Jalopnik posted:

Design a DeLorean wrap in Forza 4 and we’ll make it real

The Electric DeLorean isn't DeLorean Motor Company's only project. They're also working on a supercharged version of the classic stainless steel sports car set to debut at SEMA next week. All they need is a design to wrap it in, which is where you, and a copy of Forza Motorsport 4, come in.

Use your creative skills to design the best custom paint job for the Stage III supercharged DeLorean in Forza 4 and DMC will apply it to their latest creation. And did we mention prizes? There will be prizes. Details below the jump.

The Contest
We've partnered with the DeLorean Motor Company of Humble, Texas to help them create a design for their Stage III Supercharged DMC-12. What we came up with was this pink monstrosity. You can probably do better.

Just login to Forza 4, buy a DMC-12 (as if you don't already have one), and apply all the paint and decals you can to create a custom design that simply screams "awesome supercharged DeLorean."

If your design is chosen, the nice folks at DMC will create a vinyl wrap of it for SEMA.

The Requirements
Because this is a SEMA show car we're going to ask that you incorporate three logos from the partners involved: DMC, Sprintex Superchargers, and Jalopnik.

All of these can be found by going to the Forza 4 showroom of RandoorRandolfs later today and downloading them from him.

Currently, only the Jalopnik logo is available, but we want to give you plenty of time to work on the design.

However you use them — either as a bumper sticker or incorporated into the design — is up to you, just make sure they're visible and make sure the Jalopnik logo isn't the largest since we've done the least amount of work to make this car a reality.

The Details
Since there's a short window to turn this car around and get it wrapped so it can participate in the SEMA tuning show in Las Vegas next week we're not giving you much time. The contest officially starts now and ends at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, October 25th.

To enter you need to design the car, upload a photo of it to your showroom, tag the photo with the tag "DMClopnik" and send us at least one good in-game shot of the car to be judged. Attach them in an email to tips@jalopnik.com with the subject "DeLorean Design Contest" along with your Xbox Live gamer tag, real name, and a phone number.

We also encourage you to upload them to this comment thread so other viewers can submit feedback.

Because Forza 4 doesn't allow you to paint the front lip or rear bumper we're allowing you to make those changes in another design program if you wish, but it isn't a requirement.

But I don't have Forza 4
Ideally, you do. If not, you're more than welcome to sketch or create a version of the vehicle and apply your design to it and send it to us. But it needs to be comprehensive enough that we can see the vehicle from all angles.

PRIZES!
In addition to seeing your design on a real car, which is the best reward of all, we'll also give you free stuff. This includes a prize pack from DeLorean Motor Company complete with apparel and other goodies. There will also be a mystery pack of stuff from the Jalopnik offices. And stickers.

The fine print
As always, standard Gawker Media contest rules apply. In addition, DeLorean reserves the right to modify or change your design in any way to make it work on the vehicle. If you are selected the winner by our esteemed panel you must provide the car in your showroom along with detailed in-game photos. Failure to respond quickly means you forfeit and we move onto the next person. Turn 10 and Microsoft are not sponsoring this contest.

GOOD LUCK!

Edit: I just looked over the "Standard Contest Rules", and apparently it's only officially open to US residents 18 and over.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 24, 2011

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Danger Doug posted:

GT: D4ngerDou9

I greatly appreciate the effort! Thanks

Did you get this? I've got one that I'm sure you'd get much more pleasure from than I would. Add me on XBL and I'll get it to you: ColdPie1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Best Buy I go to, still has the limited edition Forza 4. Should I jump on that tomorrow and buy it if I don't have the game yet? I'm going put hundreds of hours into this.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The Best Buy I go to, still has the limited edition Forza 4. Should I jump on that tomorrow and buy it if I don't have the game yet? I'm going put hundreds of hours into this.

Do you want the 'extra' cars and VIP status? If yes, then yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Minimaul posted:

Do you want the 'extra' cars and VIP status? If yes, then yes.

Looking at the list on Forzacentral, I can live without those cars. Not $20+ extra worth it. I can put that towards the season pass instead and get 60 cars.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the list on Forzacentral, I can live without those cars. Not $20+ extra worth it. I can put that towards the season pass instead and get 60 cars.
You will also get gifted cars throughout the lifecycle of the game because you're a VIP with custom liveries and such so that's something to consider too.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Those are often Unicorn cars too. That's the only way I ended up with any in FM3 was cause of VIP. Though I still didn't drive them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xbox 360 and Forza 4 ordered. :toot:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

Good. This is good.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I can't wait to hit you with the goonbus.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I said come in! posted:

Awesome! I'm curious about what the OP of the GT5 thread thinks of this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome! I'm curious about what the OP of the GT5 thread thinks of this game.

I love racing sims, i'm really passionate about them, so im going to put hundreds of hours into this game. I'm looking forward to doing a comparison between the two.

Lyer posted:

I can't wait to hit you with the goonbus.

I only rub paint with Phancypants. :colbert: Me and him have a thing going on. :love:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

xzzy posted:

Half-pressing the pedal does work, but it'll wear the clutch out faster and if you really overdo it, it'll gag everyone with the smell of burning clutch fluid.

Not to be pedantic, but it's the clutch disc you're smelling. Some cars don't have hydraulically actuated clutches, and you can definitely still make them stink ;)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

Not to be pedantic, but it's the clutch disc you're smelling. Some cars don't have hydraulically actuated clutches, and you can definitely still make them stink ;)

No, that's your Corsair's cylinder head dying again :v: </AI>

And yes, definitely the clutch disc itself. It smells like hell, usually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I learned the value of not frying a clutch back in high school. Spinning donuts at the high school parking lot on a mix of snow and asphalt in a volvo turbo wagon.

Everything went fine on the snow, but the sudden transitions to asphalt put a lot of stress on the drivetrain. After about ten minutes buddy and I noticed a rank smell, which kind of freaked us out. We eventually decided we'd pushed the clutch too far, because the car seemed fine.

We drove home on the highway in 10F weather with all the windows rolled down, hoping we could clear out the smell before we got home and earned a lecture from dad.

(we could still smell it the next morning, but dad either didn't notice, or decided not to say anything)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

xzzy posted:

I learned the value of not frying a clutch back in high school. Spinning donuts at the high school parking lot on a mix of snow and asphalt in a volvo turbo wagon.

Everything went fine on the snow, but the sudden transitions to asphalt put a lot of stress on the drivetrain. After about ten minutes buddy and I noticed a rank smell, which kind of freaked us out. We eventually decided we'd pushed the clutch too far, because the car seemed fine.

We drove home on the highway in 10F weather with all the windows rolled down, hoping we could clear out the smell before we got home and earned a lecture from dad.

(we could still smell it the next morning, but dad either didn't notice, or decided not to say anything)

Ah yes, high school. A buddy of mine had a brand new Dodge Colt in the late 90's. We talked him into constantly neutral dropping the car. He would fly backwards in reverse, and then slam it into drive causing a ton of tire squeal. I'm surprised that thing didn't just drop dead.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So does anyone know a way of fixing the club garage glitch where certain cars are blacked out? Cause right now about half of the cars in GISH are blacked out for me

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
goddamn I love this loving game. This is by far the best racing game I've ever played. It brings back memories of when Gran Turismo first came out and I was simply blown away. The sound, sense of speed, and handling in this game is simply unsurpassed. Ripping through Bernies Alps in an R1 car is just simply pure, unadulterated awesomeness.

I gotta say though, going from doing 5 R1 races in a row to like B class is loving terrible. I keep expecting to blow through corners at 120 and stop in like 3 feet and my B class car says NOPE!

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Photo contest, help me decide

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You do realize they are the "Bernese" alps. Not alps that belong to Bernie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First one is a much better composition, but you can see the dangling wheels a lot better in the second one (which looks cool).

But I'd go with the first one.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd go with the first one too. The mountain looks better, the sense of speed is conveyed better by the trees and the car is framed better

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Cojawfee posted:

Goddammit, I googled the name because I wasn't sure for various unmentionable reasons, and Bernies Alps was the first result and I ran with it :cheers:

Also, what do ya'll think is the best sounding V8 in the game? So far I'd have to say the Falcon XB GT with and without the engine swap....just heavenly, esp. with a supercharger added.

edit:

Pudgygiant posted:

Photo contest, help me decide

first definitely. 2nd looks too fake for some reason.

sativa dreams fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 25, 2011

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am so doing the Delorean contest. The lack of any serious comments in the comment area makes me optimistic. I just need to get the unlocks for the vinyls from the guy and I will be good to go.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Sssssh, I like his interpretation of the name. It's got me giggling.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Is there any way to search games by club or should I just start one and start slinging out invites?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I haven't gotten any invites from GISH all day, but right now I have to rectify my 8:42:00 lap on Nurburgring in rivals mode to clean my name. I think I might be a dick and just do a really, really slow, clean lap cause nobody else has

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

"Weekend at Bernie's Alps"

This is a movie I would watch.

In 1988.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Wow, so I've been working on making a somewhat competitive A-class Morgan, just to gently caress with people. It's been rough going, and I'm not convinced its even possible. I was about to abandon the project, but decided to check out the paint scheme marketplace first and holy poo poo does that car have some fashionable skins. Now I HAVE to keep wrestling with that ungainly piece of poo poo just to show off all the cool paint jobs that I found that other people made.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

I love racing sims, i'm really passionate about them, so im going to put hundreds of hours into this game. I'm looking forward to doing a comparison between the two.
I honestly mean it when I say I can't wait to see your opinion. I know you loved GT5, but you had one of the more objective opinions about the game's flaws and strengths. I personally think Forza is a better game, but I'll be the first to admit that I've not played around with GT5 long enough to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ihop posted:

Wow, so I've been working on making a somewhat competitive A-class Morgan, just to gently caress with people. It's been rough going, and I'm not convinced its even possible. I was about to abandon the project, but decided to check out the paint scheme marketplace first and holy poo poo does that car have some fashionable skins. Now I HAVE to keep wrestling with that ungainly piece of poo poo just to show off all the cool paint jobs that I found that other people made.

Godspeed dude, if you can figure out how to make it turn or drive in a straight line without spinning out please let me know

• Locked thread