Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
My first PVP death was to a shotel. I knew it from Demon's Souls; they just caught me exiting the Painted World and so I was literally surrounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Almost Smart posted:

So for those who have played through both, am I alone in thinking that Demons Souls is ultimately a tighter and better experience?

I agree that Demon's Souls is a tighter and better experience. Dark Souls is bigger and expanded in every way, but in no way "better."

Ultimately, I think the open world system is the game's biggest detriment. In Demon's Souls you really felt great returning to the Nexus after destroying a boss. All of your friendly NPCs are right there... in fact, the maiden was always literally waiting for you to return. Dark Souls isn't short on challenges but it is short on rewards. A lot of bosses give you a pitiful number of souls, and then all you can do is just rest at a lovely bonfire in the middle of nowhere. Plus, of course, the overall storyline goal in Dark Souls is much less clear-most players will just barely know what they're supposed to be doing at all in their first playthrough.

Not to say I don't like Dark Souls. I just think it's a B+ game, whereas Demon's Souls was an A- game.

edit:
Also, in Demon's Souls, after beating 1-1 you can really do anything. 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, or 1-2 are all totally beatable. Dark Souls feels much, much more linear (unless you're REALLY willing to put yourself through hell and try a high-level area too early). So linear that I wouldn't want to play it again right away. I don't know what I'd do differently besides try a different class.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 25, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Finished Dark Souls and it was alright. I played the entire game in human form and only ever was invaded by real people 3 times. I then tried invading in the kiln and all 8 of my cracked eye orbs failed. So then I couldn't invade anywhere :waycool:

On top of that trying to get summoned into boss fights was completely miss for me. I asked in the irc channel and I guess I was extremely under-leveled, being around 57 by the time I got to the first kiln. The *only* thing I saw somewhat frequently were messages which after Londo I rarely ever saw. Blood stains/ghosts I could probably count on my hands and toes.

The things I liked were the less grinding, except armor (40 twinkling titanite to upgrade armor? really?) I ended up glitching the crow to get the twinkling titanite because honestly, that was what I despised about DS1 and I wasn't about to do 40 kiln runs to max out my armor. The world setup was cool too and the limited health was better than herb farming and munching away. Basically Dark Souls fixed most of what I hated about Demon's Souls but completely hosed up multiplayer to the point of it being useless.

Now crystal cavern, tomb of the giants, blighttown and Lost Izalith can go gently caress themselves. Whomever designed those areas should be fired. In Demon's Souls the only area I objectively hate and why I won't pick it up anymore is 5-1. I beat Demon's Souls 5 times but I honestly don't feel the same kind of love for Dark Souls to push me to NG it that many times.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I seem to have misplaced my pyromancy flame. Where can I get another one?

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Aw, Sif was the first boss I felt kind of sorry for in this game. Besides being such a beautiful wolf, when I got his health down to like 10%, he started limping and he looked so pathetic. Made me feel bad about killing him. :(

I'm sure not sorry about killing the Four Kings, though. Not so much the fight itself (basically just throwing on my best armour, bashing away with my +4 Lightning Spear, and gulping down Estus), but the annoying route to get back there every time I lost. Warp to the Firelink Shrine, take the elevator to the Ruins, go through a few ghosts, fight about half a dozen Darkwraiths, go down more stairs, and to the fight. At least it's over.

One question about the Black Eye Orb. I know where to use it, but is it a one-time-only deal? Like if I warp to where Lautrec is and lose, is that my only chance? Or can I keep going as many times as I want?

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
Question about the Onion Knight guy:

I've been running around Sen's Fortress for a while (got to the bonfire) when I learned that the NPC is supposed to be hanging around waiting for you to move the boulder trap but I didn't see him and he doesn't seem to be anywhere around the area with the shotel. Has he moved on or am I looking in the wrong place? Or did I just mess him up entirely?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the second pyromancer trainer gives me the option to reset my Pyro hand to +0 but it costs 25,000 and bumps its direct damage stats a little. Does this also make my casts stronger and I can start rolling on upgrading my hand through a whole other iteration?

I'm sitting on 125,000 souls right now and don't want to level myself out of helpful range for O&S and the surrounding areas so I'm really just trying to find things to spend souls on.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 25, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nick Biped posted:

One question about the Black Eye Orb. I know where to use it, but is it a one-time-only deal? Like if I warp to where Lautrec is and lose, is that my only chance? Or can I keep going as many times as I want?

No, you can re-use it as many times as you want. You only lose it when you win.

It's just like when you get invaded by NPC dark phantoms - if you die, you can fight them again by just passing through the same area in human form (at least, assuming you don't kill the boss in the meantime). The game doesn't really have any "one try only per playthrough" events. At least it's nice about that.

ImmigrantSong
Apr 13, 2008
Killing Super Ornstein isn't really that hard, you just do the same thing you did when fighting Sif. You keep your face in his crotch most of his attacks won't hit you, when he does his grab keep walking face first into his balls and he'll never land it.

Dodge his slam and you're gold.

Hug dick, win big.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

squirrelnow posted:

Question about the Onion Knight guy:

I've been running around Sen's Fortress for a while (got to the bonfire) when I learned that the NPC is supposed to be hanging around waiting for you to move the boulder trap but I didn't see him and he doesn't seem to be anywhere around the area with the shotel. Has he moved on or am I looking in the wrong place? Or did I just mess him up entirely?

If you drop off the side of the ramp where you first encounter the boulders he'll be hanging there chilling.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Elysiume posted:

Dual wield Bandit's Knives and only put points into dexterity.

Can you get two Bandit Knives? I'd love to try that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does anyone have a list of all the npc summons that are available? I'm doing my second playthrough now as a mage and there is so much stuff I never even knew existed in terms of NPC invasions and summons.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

Can you get two Bandit Knives? I'd love to try that.

They drop off the thieves in the lower Burg.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yea jagged ghost blade, that should make that hellhole a little easier.

Do those loving ghosts ever stop coming? Seemed like 8 or 9 swarmed me while I was passing thorough an area with a statue in the water.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alteisen posted:

gently caress yea jagged ghost blade, that should make that hellhole a little easier.

Do those loving ghosts ever stop coming? Seemed like 8 or 9 swarmed me while I was passing thorough an area with a statue in the water.

I wouldn't recommend using the jagged ghost blade unless you're a dodger and not a shield user. You can't block their attacks if you aren't cursed.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Holy poo poo, I just killed Hollowed Solaire and I feel so bad about it :(. What he says when he dies.. drat..

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Polo-Rican posted:

Also, in Demon's Souls, after beating 1-1 you can really do anything. 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, or 1-2 are all totally beatable. Dark Souls feels much, much more linear (unless you're REALLY willing to put yourself through hell and try a high-level area too early). So linear that I wouldn't want to play it again right away. I don't know what I'd do differently besides try a different class.

I wouldn't say this. Yeah, you could hit up a certain world number, but in a lot of cases you really had to go to others to at least pretend you were farming for something you'd need.

It still had "fire" "poison" etc. worlds.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I want to thank the goon that taught me that the Eagle Shield (mine's at +13) was secretly the win button. A ridiculous stability, 100% physical block, and only 6 weight? It absorbs everything, and it's all because I was schooled on what the stability stat actually does!

Being able to shield block everything (even the skeleton beasts, which are some of the toughest poo poo to stand toe-to-toe against) for a near-infinite time is glorious.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Megasabin posted:

Does anyone have a list of all the npc summons that are available? I'm doing my second playthrough now as a mage and there is so much stuff I never even knew existed in terms of NPC invasions and summons.

According to the guide, there's:
-Black Iron Tarkus for the Iron Golem
-Witch Beatrice for the Moonlight Butterfly and then the Four Kings, if you summoned her the first time
-Maneater Mildred if you killed her as a BP for Quelaag
-Solaire for the Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, O&S, Centipede Demon and Gwyn, which requires a whole event chain to get all of them
-Paladin Leeroy for Pinwheel
-and Lautrec for the Gargoyles and Gaping Dragon if you rescue him and go back to Firelink and talk to him first

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do blunt weapons deal more damage to skeletons? I need to hit up the catacombs and I can't decide what to make divine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

I don't know if this is 100% correct, but this is what I've found, roughly in the order you encounter them. Your actual order may vary (obviously this is assuming you haven't killed any NPCs prematurely):

-Solaire summon for the Gargoyles.
-Dark Knight Kirk invasion in the Depths.
-Solaire and Lautrec summon for the Gaping Dragon.
-Maneater Mildred invasion in Blighttown.
-Maneater Mildred summon for Quelaag.
-Witch Beatrice summon for Moonlight Butterfly.
-Black Iron Tarkus summon for Iron Golem.
-King Jeremiah invasion in Painted World.
-YOU invade Lautrec in Anor Londo.
-Solaire summon for O+S.
-Dark Knight Kirk invasion again in the Demon Ruins.
-Solaire summon for the Centipede.
-Dark Knight Kirk invasion one last time in Lost Izalith.
-Paladin Leeroy summon for Pinwheel.
-Paladin Leeroy invasion in Tomb of the Giants.
-Witch Beatrice summon for Four Kings (I haven't personally found this one, but someone else mentioned it).
-Solaire summon for Gwyn (if you take the Chaos servant shortcut and save him from the bugs).

I may be short a couple, but I think that's all of them. Some of the summon sigils are a bit hidden, but you most likely won't miss any invasions if you're in human form the whole game.

Crowbear posted:

I wouldn't recommend using the jagged ghost blade unless you're a dodger and not a shield user. You can't block their attacks if you aren't cursed.

Actually you can if you two-hand it! It's obviously not as good as a shield but not awful either.

Elysiume posted:

Do blunt weapons deal more damage to skeletons? I need to hit up the catacombs and I can't decide what to make divine.

I don't know if they're necessarily more damaging, but what they do is make them fall apart when you hit them, which is essentially a stun. Strong attacks will both break them apart AND knock them back, so you can easily bash them off cliffs with it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 25, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love when I'm summoned by some guy at Parish while I'm just killing time IRL, folding laundry, I join his game, roll up and immediately 1-shot three baldur knights in a row with my +10 fireballs.. And he kicks me out of the game with a separation crystal.

Yeah bro, my sword wasn't big enough, I'm sorry for sucking! v:shobon:v

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 25, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if they're necessarily more damaging, but what they do is make them fall apart when you hit them, which is essentially a stun. Strong attacks will both break them apart AND knock them back, so you can easily bash them off cliffs with it.
In that case I'll take this +5 claymore that I have conveniently lying around and make it divine. I need to do something with these 63 Green Titanite Shards.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress yeah! I just tanked Orenstein and Smough on a loving 800hp pyromancer using nothing but Iron Flesh, the Eagle shield and a whole lot of fire. Smough went down to four Chaos Fireballs, and Orenstein even got his massive impale attack on me before I hot-footed him to death with some +5 hand of God drat Thermite.

... of course now I get to go to New Londo and hate this game again.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Beat O&S tonight. I could reliably kill one or the other as a SL 45 spear wielding tank but once two became one, gently caress it. I enlisted the help of a friendly soul and the sunny knight and we finally took him out.

I spent my O&S souls on the 20,000 pendant from the Parish blacksmith so I could unlock the forest door. I managed to kill all the ghosts and got the Black Bow of Pharis. I don't have the Dex for it, but I hear this is the best bow in the game? In Demon's Souls I loved running around ruining poo poo with the Lava Bow. Is there any comparable way to play in Dark Souls?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Can you get the corresponding achievement for upgrading an shield to +15? It says "weapon" but shields are in the weapons category, so..

Just nervous about chucking down a Titanite Slab since they're not fun to farm for!

Edit: I tested it myself, and apparently it works with a shield!

potaties fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 25, 2011

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

gotly posted:

Beat O&S tonight. I could reliably kill one or the other as a SL 45 spear wielding tank but once two became one, gently caress it. I enlisted the help of a friendly soul and the sunny knight and we finally took him out.

I spent my O&S souls on the 20,000 pendant from the Parish blacksmith so I could unlock the forest door. I managed to kill all the ghosts and got the Black Bow of Pharis. I don't have the Dex for it, but I hear this is the best bow in the game? In Demon's Souls I loved running around ruining poo poo with the Lava Bow. Is there any comparable way to play in Dark Souls?

I can't speak for the Pharis bow in particular, but I had quite a bit of success using a light crossbow as my primary weapon for a good long time. A bow-based playstyle seems fairly viable, so long as you don't mind paying out the rear end for arrows/bolts. That poo poo adds up fast.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

gotly posted:

I don't have the Dex for it, but I hear this is the best bow in the game? In Demon's Souls I loved running around ruining poo poo with the Lava Bow. Is there any comparable way to play in Dark Souls?

I play this way with the dark moon bow (made from Dark Sun Gwyndolin's boss soul)).

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
So certain items affect your speed/rolling, regardless of your equipment burden? I had it at less than a quarter, but with a bastard sword equipped and was only moving as though it was at 50%. Same thing with my elite knight armour and silver knight shield. Is this a bug or a feature?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jaaam posted:

So certain items affect your speed/rolling, regardless of your equipment burden? I had it at less than a quarter, but with a bastard sword equipped and was only moving as though it was at 50%. Same thing with my elite knight armour and silver knight shield. Is this a bug or a feature?

You are probably miscalculating your equip burden. I don't think there are items that do this.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

potaties posted:

Can you get the corresponding achievement for upgrading an shield to +15? It says "weapon" but shields are in the weapons category, so..

Just nervous about chucking down a Titanite Slab since they're not fun to farm for!

I have no idea but if you want to conserve your slab you can (assuming you're on Xbox, there's definitely an identical method on the PS3 but I'm afraid the details escape me) upgrade the weapon in question, wait for the achievement/trophy to unlock without doing anything whatsoever, and then quit to dash. If you don't exit the blacksmith menu, the game doesn't save and on re-booting you'll be in front of the smith with all your stuff intact.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jaaam posted:

There is an item you get by murdering one of the NPCs that gives you a backflip roll that replaces your normal one. If your burden is over 50% its likely this item will add quite the spring to your step, otherwise its not particularly useful.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

So the second pyromancer trainer gives me the option to reset my Pyro hand to +0 but it costs 25,000 and bumps its direct damage stats a little. Does this also make my casts stronger and I can start rolling on upgrading my hand through a whole other iteration?

I'm sitting on 125,000 souls right now and don't want to level myself out of helpful range for O&S and the surrounding areas so I'm really just trying to find things to spend souls on.

Even though the name says the same, you are actually upgrading to a better item with a different description. You should spend the souls and level it up. You can go from there up to +5, but only she can level it for you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My new faith-based character is on her way to becoming GROSSLY INCANDESCENT. I went over and grabbed the sword of Astora first thing, how does it compare to a divine longsword when fully upgraded anyway?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Polo-Rican posted:

I agree that Demon's Souls is a tighter and better experience. Dark Souls is bigger and expanded in every way, but in no way "better."

Ultimately, I think the open world system is the game's biggest detriment. In Demon's Souls you really felt great returning to the Nexus after destroying a boss. All of your friendly NPCs are right there... in fact, the maiden was always literally waiting for you to return. Dark Souls isn't short on challenges but it is short on rewards. A lot of bosses give you a pitiful number of souls, and then all you can do is just rest at a lovely bonfire in the middle of nowhere. Plus, of course, the overall storyline goal in Dark Souls is much less clear-most players will just barely know what they're supposed to be doing at all in their first playthrough.

Not to say I don't like Dark Souls. I just think it's a B+ game, whereas Demon's Souls was an A- game.

edit:
The minus in the A- is because of world tendency. gently caress world tendency so much.

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?

Crowbear posted:

If you drop off the side of the ramp where you first encounter the boulders he'll be hanging there chilling.

That is where I am? There's a thin ledge with two snake men on it but no knight, and every other dropoff looks like insta-death. I just don't see him and I'm starting to feel really dumb.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
How the gently caress are you supposed to GET a fog ring when everybody you invade in the forest already has them? I sat here reading a book with the forest ring on for three hours, was summoned to defend 5 times, and every single person had a fog ring. The battle turns into "I roll around like a loon waiting for you to miss a backstab, then try to line up and backstab before you recover. If _I_ miss my backstab, I die."

I really hope the patch does something useful with this loving ring because 90% of my PVP experience has been being murdered by people using it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

I can't speak for the Pharis bow in particular, but I had quite a bit of success using a light crossbow as my primary weapon for a good long time. A bow-based playstyle seems fairly viable, so long as you don't mind paying out the rear end for arrows/bolts. That poo poo adds up fast.

I think crossbows would be more viable for this just because you can still use a shield with them, and they're also much more damaging than bows, even though bows scale - the advantage of bows is the ability to manually aim, but to really deal damage you need to go for headshots, which you just can't do if someone is smacking you in the face.

sighnoceros posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to GET a fog ring when everybody you invade in the forest already has them? I sat here reading a book with the forest ring on for three hours, was summoned to defend 5 times, and every single person had a fog ring. The battle turns into "I roll around like a loon waiting for you to miss a backstab, then try to line up and backstab before you recover. If _I_ miss my backstab, I die."

I really hope the patch does something useful with this loving ring because 90% of my PVP experience has been being murdered by people using it.

Trade the skull lantern from the Tomb of Giants to Snuggly the Crow

Rascyc posted:

The minus in the A- is because of world tendency. gently caress world tendency so much.

I like the IDEA behind world tendency; that the players actions as a whole can affect each individual world, but I don't think it would be well implemented.

I think a better implementation would have been something like the Realm warfare in FFXI, where defeating mobs with a certain buff would award your particular faction points in that region, and whichever faction has the most points at the end of the week would gain control of that region - only mobs ALSO get points for killing players, and they can win control as well. I forget what the actual effect of that system was, but something like that would be an interesting way to deal with world tendency - make the areas change in subtle ways depending on who "wins" each day or something.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 25, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

sighnoceros posted:

I would say maybe one tenth of the people that I invade have fog rings.

Personally, Catacombs have been the worst area so far. The skeletons aren't hard, they're just really annoying. It doesn't help that I apparently forgot to sit at the bonfire and need to walk all the way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sighnoceros posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky or something, but I've never found it that hard to kill someone who's using the fog ring. They have to drop their shield if they want a backslash, so just get a weapon with a wide arc and turn around and attack when they start getting behind you.

• Locked thread