Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Pierson posted:

Yo how does an indictment work? Does the opponent have to have one in their inventory when I kill them or can they pick use it after they respawn?

Would quite like to get myself a little higher on that big 'ole list.

They have to have it in their inventory. When you kill them either from invading them, Forest Hunting, Darkmoon Vengence; they can choose to Indict you if they have any left in their inventory. There are stories of people dropping indictments then killing the opponent :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah NPCs will be there for you forever if you met their requirements. Thank god they do, I would never beat NG+ and beyond The Four Kings without Beatrice :swoon:

edit: You know, it feels like the developers were aware of most of the bullshit segments and implemented something to apologize for them. Solaire is there to help you on O+S. Ceaseless Discharge will jump to his death. There's the shortcut to Lost Izalith that goes past the lava and dragon asses. Beatrice is there to help out with the Four Kings.

The AI for the helpers sometimes leaves you wanting. I haven't been able to get Beatrice succesfully down the staircase once. She always spazzes out and starts firing off her soul arrow right after the fog door until I get halfway down the staircase and she jumps to her death to catch up.

Oh and someone was asking what helm that _OR-I_O_N- or whatever guy in the chaos srvant roster is wearing, it's crystalized knight helm, there's a set of crystalized armor you can find on a corpse in the grove just before Seath's crystal cave. Like all crystal equipment it can't be repaired though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah on my main character I used the Artorias' True Sword +5 for pretty much all of NG+. If you want to look super boss pair it with Artorias' Greatshield and the Steel Armor (+9 is easy, +10 takes 4 slabs if you are crazy like me). Run around screaming about how you are the reincarnation of Artorias the Wolf and heavy attacking Hollows off cliffs.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong
Waspinator, don't ever stop streaming your playthroughs.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
So a question about Covenants. I'm currently unattached, but thinking about joining the Chaos Servants to gain access to some awesome pyromancy. My question is, if I leave the covenant later, do I get to keep the spells/miracles I gained from joining or ranking in the covenant?

If anyone needs help tonight, my SL 31 self will be camping out in front of the Capra Demon. I'm loaded with Pyromancy, and love helping people take revenge on that jerk.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

EndOfTheWorld posted:

So a question about Covenants. I'm currently unattached, but thinking about joining the Chaos Servants to gain access to some awesome pyromancy. My question is, if I leave the covenant later, do I get to keep the spells/miracles I gained from joining or ranking in the covenant?

If anyone needs help tonight, my SL 31 self will be camping out in front of the Capra Demon. I'm loaded with Pyromancy, and love helping people take revenge on that jerk.

I'm SL32 myself, and just got into Sen's Fortress, but I don't understand the Capra Demon issues. I beat him on the first try, and honestly, he's the only boss I've been able to beat solo, I've pulled in help for every other boss so far (maybe it's just me or my playstyle, but I feel like compared to Demon Souls, it's much much harder to solo bosses in this game, you really need someone to distract them to get in any appreciable damage at melee).

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

EndOfTheWorld posted:

You'll keep all your spells and miracles, but lose your covenant rank. For example, if you left the Chaos Covenant at level three and later rejoined, you'll start at Rank 1 again. Don't forget to reach Chaos Covenant rank two for a sweet fireball spell and a short cut to bypass one of the most irritating areas in the game! :)

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is killing Forest Covenant members while not part of the Covenant lock you out of it? I'm currently a member of it, so that I can try to kill Sif without too much hassle, and also am taking advantage of the PVP for a while. If I join another Covenant, then slaughter everyone in the forest over and over for souls, can I still rejoin later and be best buds with Alvina?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Tamagod Sushi posted:

You'll keep all your spells and miracles, but lose your covenant rank. For example, if you left the Chaos Covenant at level three and later rejoined, you'll start at Rank 1 again. Don't forget to reach Chaos Covenant rank two for a sweet fireball spell and a short cut to bypass one of the most irritating areas in the game! :)

Sweet, now I can be the unassailable God of Fire mom always wanted me to be.

And personally, I managed to solo the Capra Demon on about the third try thanks to a mix of plunging attacks and fireballs. But I can see how people have trouble with him, seeing as how's he's right on you as soon as you enter the room and it's easy to get "stuck."

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Man, gently caress the Warriors of the Sun. I have to wait until NG+ to get the Sun Spear by handing over Gwyn's soul? Then stay in the drat group just to use it?

Screw that. Does anyone know if sunlight speer counts for the 'Get all the miracles' trophy?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Palleon posted:

Is killing Forest Covenant members while not part of the Covenant lock you out of it? I'm currently a member of it, so that I can try to kill Sif without too much hassle, and also am taking advantage of the PVP for a while. If I join another Covenant, then slaughter everyone in the forest over and over for souls, can I still rejoin later and be best buds with Alvina?

Yes

Someone also asked about Poison/Toxin application earlier(?) I'm pretty sure the weapon does a flat ammount of some hidden poison-checking per hit and stacks until it passes a certain threshold, either the opponent's poison resistance or it might be a flat 100. So if your weapon does 30 poison-check each hit, it stacks until over say 90resistance(or 100 or whatever number it is) then they're poisoned. The AUX effect thing is kinda weird because I'm pretty sure a 300 BLEED Aux does 30% on their hp in damage. I don't know how that applies to toxin/poison, maybe 300 is 300% of their HP?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 25, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

invalid posted:

Man, gently caress the Warriors of the Sun. I have to wait until NG+ to get the Sun Spear by handing over Gwyn's soul? Then stay in the drat group just to use it?

Screw that. Does anyone know if sunlight speer counts for the 'Get all the miracles' trophy?

Yeah, it does. That was the last miracle I needed for that trophy.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm about to enter Sens' Fortress.

What's a good shield to start upgrading for a Pyro? I've got stuff the like the Eagle Shield, Crest, Grass Crest, Dragon Crest, etc.

Also, any recommended Armor to look for?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

What's a good shield to start upgrading for a Pyro? I've got stuff the like the Eagle Shield, Crest, Grass Crest, Dragon Crest, etc.

hollow shield is pretty nice. Kite sheild is pretty nice and only 2wt too. Wouldn't worry about the grass crest if you're not using weapons that much.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Sweet, now I can be the unassailable God of Fire mom always wanted me to be.

And personally, I managed to solo the Capra Demon on about the third try thanks to a mix of plunging attacks and fireballs. But I can see how people have trouble with him, seeing as how's he's right on you as soon as you enter the room and it's easy to get "stuck."

I dunno, I almost think it varies system to system. Capra took by far the greatest number of tries for me (of any boss) because no matter what I did in the first seconds, the two dogs would pin me on the wall or under the columns and the big guy would double overhead me immediately. There really wasn't any option- any direction I would run/roll in, the dogs would go on either side of me with capra in the middle. This happened identically well over 10 times.

Couldn't beat him till I got the wolf ring and could just take a hit walking right past him and could make it up the stairs.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I got lucky on the third try: he walked towards me while the first dog lunged. I took it out, ran past Capra and gutted the second dog. He almost killed me a couple of times, but his attacks are slow enough to dodge and counterattack.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

evilalien posted:

Yeah, it does. That was the last miracle I needed for that trophy.

Thanks for the heads up. I really want to try the other covenants so badly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

-Blackadder- posted:

Hollow Soldier Shield is the best in the game. At +15 it provides like 2nd/3rd highest stability at a fraction of the weight of greatshields.

Use a combination of hard leather (gauntlets) and elite knight (armor). Both are found in Darkroot Basin.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if anyone's hit the max level yet?

Just in case some of you are wondering, it's 792, requiring 11 million souls to get there from 791. If someone with more free time than me wants to figure out how many souls total that is, here's the wiki page with all the soul level requirements: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/level-up-souls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

darkhand posted:

Yes

Someone also asked about Poison/Toxin application earlier(?) I'm pretty sure the weapon does a flat ammount of some hidden poison-checking per hit and stacks until it passes a certain threshold, either the opponent's poison resistance or it might be a flat 100. So if your weapon does 30 poison-check each hit, it stacks until over say 90resistance(or 100 or whatever number it is) then they're poisoned. The AUX effect thing is kinda weird because I'm pretty sure a 300 BLEED Aux does 30% on their hp in damage. I don't know how that applies to toxin/poison, maybe 300 is 300% of their HP?

I've clarified that in my weapons section in the guide in the OP.

Basically, in addition to your hp bar, you also have a poison bar, a toxin bar, a bleed bar and a curse bar. I think these all have a default size of about 100 plus a bonus from your Resistance stat plus bonuses from your gear (notable examples are the Antiquated Skirt +5 adding 99 curse resist and the Painted Waistcloth adding like 400 poison resist -- most other pieces add 30 or so to what you would expect) and other stuff. Curse maybe starts at 100 but is 50 when you're hollowed or whatever.

Incoming attacks deplete those bars and waiting slowly refills them. You can see this in action when hitting a foe with a poisoned weapon. Enemies with more "resistance" will have visibly larger bars but your weapon will still take same sized pieces out with each hit.

Bleed, when it takes effect, does a large chunk of damage at once once you fill up (or deplete, however you want to look at it) the Bleed bar. This amount varies from 30% to 50%, but for most weapons it's 30%.

Poison and Toxin do damage up to a max amount over a long period of time. The time is fixed (a few minutes) and the differing damage per second therefore is a function of the other gross damage number being packed into a smaller frame. Most poison weapons do about 3dps when their bar is filled.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The hollow shield is so drat ugly. What's the NEXT best shield in terms of weight/stability?

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Requested_Username posted:

With the dupe glitch, probably.

Luckily for the rest of us, there's no real reason to ever go that high. Every stat will suffer significant diminishing returns at 40 or 50, some (resistance) as soon as 30.

Edit: vvv The Dragon Breath glitch from the Dragon Covenant, I should say. It's about to be patched out, but it allows you to use consumable soul items indefinitely.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 25, 2011

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
^^^ what is the dupe glitch, actually?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The hollow shield is so drat ugly. What's the NEXT best shield in terms of weight/stability?

Don't want the other phantoms mocking you, do you?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Eagle Shield has very good stability at +15 (84 I think), but it weighs 6 so it is a fair bit heavier and it is a Greatshield so no parrying.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Just in case some of you are wondering, it's 792, requiring 11 million souls to get there from 791. If someone with more free time than me wants to figure out how many souls total that is, here's the wiki page with all the soul level requirements: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/level-up-souls
2,550,153,872 (I just copy/pasted into Excel)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TWO BILLION!

EDIT: E;FB!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tower Kite Shield at 3/82 or Sunlight Shield at 4/85. I prefer the look of the Sunlight Shield personally.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Yes some duping with the dragonhead stuff has already led to a few characters with 99 straight down the line.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

qbert posted:

Tower Kite Shield at 3/82 or Sunlight Shield at 4/85. I prefer the look of the Sunlight Shield personally.

But what kind of monster is willing to pay the price of slaying the Sunbro to get it? :(

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Those whom hold square are the true heroes of Dark Souls.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

dexplosivo posted:

But what kind of monster is willing to pay the price of slaying the Sunbro to get it? :(

I tried to complete his questline, but he ended up getting maggot infected anyways. I don't know what I did wrong.

I killed all the ones I could find before opening the shortcut door, but he was infected on the other side anyways. Plus there are maggots on the other side of the shortcut, so how are you supposed to kill them all before opening it? My guess is I can't talk to him at the bonfire after beating Centipede?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dexplosivo posted:

In my first game he mysteriously died on his own, his equipment was all laying right where he stands admiring the sun.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Haha, just had some guy invade in Anor Londo and when he saw I had summoned Solaire he taunted me. Too bad he didn't see the other player that I just summoned who cast Homing Crystal Soulmass and one shot him :v:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Next best choices are either the Black Knight shield (95% fire resist!) or Silver Knight shield (like 83 res and good all-round elementals) imo.

Also I really like how the hollow shield looks and it helps me rep tha undead block.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 25, 2011

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I haven't been able to get summoned a single time so far in NG+. I've tried hanging around every boss room for 15-20 minutes, but to no avail. It's making it annoying to get into the Warriors of Sunlight :mad: I'm at SL85 now, and I wasn't getting any bites at either Gaping Dragon or Quelaag, so I'm trying to go back to the gargoyles to see what my luck is here. It's too hard to tell if I'm underleveled, overleveled, or if there aren't enough people in NG+ yet :(

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't totally remember how I beat the Capra Demon because the beginning of that fight is such a clusterfuck but I got through it once at least. I remember just keeping my shield up, circle strafing nonstop and just timing my swings really carefully to pick off the dogs without getting destroyed. Capra by himself wasn't so bad but still tough in that tiny awkward room. I think it took me around five tries.

Also thanks to whoever noted a few pages ago that one of the wikis makes your computer make stupid noises. I was afraid there was something wrong with my Mac.

I'm in Blighttown now . . . I splurged on the Poisonbite Ring which is helping but it's . . . still Blighttown. :gonk:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

potaties posted:

I haven't been able to get summoned a single time so far in NG+. I've tried hanging around every boss room for 15-20 minutes, but to no avail. It's making it annoying to get into the Warriors of Sunlight :mad: I'm at SL85 now, and I wasn't getting any bites at either Gaping Dragon or Quelaag, so I'm trying to go back to the gargoyles to see what my luck is here. It's too hard to tell if I'm underleveled, overleveled, or if there aren't enough people in NG+ yet :(

I'm soul level 85 and had no shortage of people to summon just now against Ornstein and Smough. PS3 version if it makes a difference.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So...Nito.

Am I the only one who was really depressed that he didn't get much of any characterization? He had one of the most incredible designs in the game, and a ton of potential - the First of the Dead in a world full of Undead - but even scouring through items for references all I could get were the Pinwheel guys apparently stole some of his mojo. Then when I got to the big man himself after the quivering pile of not-fun that is the Tomb of the Giants, I'm rewarded with the biggest snoozefest boss since the Gaping Dragon. I only had to heal a single time and, with Quelaag's Furysword +5 and a buffer of Humanity, could kill his skeleton minions so fast when they got near me hacking on Nito I didn't even need to switch to the divine mace I had laying around. All I had to do was walk in circles around him and chop at his feet while he flailed his huge sword around and missed me by miles every time.

It was really a shame. Also, Tomb of the Giants goes from :tizzy: to merely dull once you get Cast Light, in my opinion. However, I can't even imagine trying to get all the way to the lantern without a light source. I tried a few times and about ate my controller in fury.

Seriously have no idea what people are on about with Crystal Cave. The invisible platforms were easy as hell to navigate, and I'm offline, so I couldn't cheese it by following messages. So either I got very lucky due to being cautious, or people like complaining. The loooong walk from the bonfire was pretty annoying though.

And now I have a choice between finishing New Londo or Lost Izalith, which is like choosing between ghost rape and tyrannosaurus rape. I think I'll just flip a coin.

Bonus content: I love the world of this game, it's so...minimalistic yet evocative. One kind of crackpot theory I have that may give character to Nito is as follows (spoilered because who knows what to spoiler anymore)

Frampt says that the beings that hold the lordsouls have either turned to wickedness (Hello, Seath, Four Kings, Bed of Chaos), or have outlived their usefulness. This is probably where Nito fits, being unobtrusive and generally sticking to himself at the bottom of the world with his skeletons, but I noticed through the game that only five things drop humanity: NPCS, Piscasa, cannibals (the Butchers and the dudes in Blighttown), rats, and the skeletal babies. Humans having humanity makes sense, Piscasa used to be human (:gonk:), rats and cannibals having humanity can be explained by them consuming the corpses of the fallen and absorbing it, but the skeleton babies are harder to explain.

One possible explanation for the place I've come up with is that Nito, or perhaps the Pinwheels stealing his power, are trying to create life from death, a truly Undead race, along the lines of Seath's stolen immortality. Nito and/or the Pinwheels, instead of wanting to stave off death, wanted to give a facsimile of life back to the truly dead, by infusing the baby skeletons with Humanity and creating them endlessly. It's another way of addressing the fear of both immortality and death that seems to permeate this game.

Plus, immortality that doesn't depend on the Fires would scare the crap out of the Gwyn family, so they'd certainly want him dead(er).

Of course, I may just be reading too much into item drops in a video game :shepface:

Edit: Forgot about one enemy that drops Humanity.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 25, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

potaties posted:

I find its a lot easier to be summoned near an area bonfire than the boss gate. Sometimes you can get pulled, but a lot of people drop near bonfires, and if they already have 2 guys, then they're obviously not going to be summoning you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Hmm, alright. Guess I'll rush through Sen's right now and get my butt to Anor Londo. Thanks for the hints! (Be wary of hint)

• Locked thread