Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

So I've managed to claw my way up to R3 without any assists, but can't get the hang of braking without ABS on. Any tips? Am I supposed to ease into the brake? I've tried doing that on the controller, but poo poo goes from nothing > full tilt.

The traditional fix for Forza games is to tune your brakes to 85% pressure. This gives you a lot more throw before the wheels lock up. Other than that, it's all in the fingers.

Braking correctly can be described as "easing" onto them, but it has to be done quickly or else you'll waste pavement you could have been using to go fast. The key is the vehicle's center of gravity.. if you jerk the car around too much, you'll unsettle the suspension because the center of gravity snaps all over the place and the inertia of the car is fighting it. But a firm, smooth application of brakes allows the center of gravity to predictably move about, which the suspension has an easier time dealing with.

If you're bored, you can experiment with this in your real world car. Either fill a clear bottle of water and put it in a cup holder, watch how the fluid reacts when you slam the brakes versus smoothly lean on the brakes. Or if you have a flat dashboard, put a quarter on it and try to keep it from sliding around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
There needs to be a game mode where anyone that joins the server can join the session in progress.

I would love to have a server get set up from time to time that is just the track with max available laps, and set to time trial mode with all classes open, that way people can join and practice laps with the rest of the server, joining and quitting whenever they were done. (Kind of similar to how it is done in real life at most clubs)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

If you're bored, you can experiment with this in your real world car. Either fill a clear bottle of water and put it in a cup holder, watch how the fluid reacts when you slam the brakes versus smoothly lean on the brakes. Or if you have a flat dashboard, put a quarter on it and try to keep it from sliding around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-z4C3aAxE
^^^ xzzy irl ^^^

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

jadebullet posted:

There needs to be a game mode where anyone that joins the server can join the session in progress.

I would love to have a server get set up from time to time that is just the track with max available laps, and set to time trial mode with all classes open, that way people can join and practice laps with the rest of the server, joining and quitting whenever they were done. (Kind of similar to how it is done in real life at most clubs)

This would be a really nice feature. Maybe the club manager could set up a rotation list where each day of the week is a specific track, and when you go into the club section there's an option to hit the track. You get a small credit/XP bonus for time spent, and Top Gear bowling already has an algorithm for making sure you're making forward progress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Ever since XBL parties went in, I've wanted a "tuning mode". When my group of friends are setting up cars, we tend to form an XBL party and bullshit while upgrading and tuning. If there was a mode that let someone load up a track that let people join and leave freely, then allow us to modify our cars while in-game, that would be totally cool.

Either turn off damage, or adjust so the pit stops fully repair all damage, including body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

^^^ xzzy irl ^^^

I guarantee if I put a quarter on the dash of my car and drove like that, it would not stay in one place. :colbert:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

xzzy posted:

So kind of a racing version of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuVLGeFM90&t=00m26s

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Crossposting from SAEG thread - I have been tuning some cars (working my way from F class to the top) and put together a few decently fast combinations.

Thus far I've got:

F200 Lotus Elan
E275 Mazda MX5 Miata
D350 Honda 99 Civic Si Coupe

Each of these is capable of (and, even with my fathanded driving skills, achieved) top 10 non-glitched car positions on the leaderboards. However, they are not set up as "leaderboarder" cars - they aren't floaty or loose, instead favoring a tight, grippy and drivable configuration that should lend itself to racing too.

My GT is Mr Spades Slick if anyone wants to check my storefront.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My copy of Forza 4 is here a day early. :hellyeah: I'm just having to wait another 24 hours for my Xbox 360 to arrive now. Cruel joke on Amazon's part. :v:

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I am having issues in Forza 3 (trying to get 50/50 before moving on) with the rewind function. Sometimes the game won't let me use it and then after a few minutes it lets me rewind and takes me back half a lap or farther from where I screwed up. This seems to be happening in my R2 races mostly. Does anyone know what causes this or how to alleviate it?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

That happens to me on occasion too. Almost always on the last corner of the last lap when the AI decides to ram me off the course from behind for no logical reason. Ah, I'll just hit rewind... nope, gently caress you son, you lose.

Edit: It seems to happen to me on oval track races with a large # of laps more than anywhere else.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
My rewind button likes to randomly alternate between X and Y.

I have no idea what the gently caress.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Any open Clubs?
Send me an invite to GT: DarkJaynx

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The game won't let you rewind when a car is in the pits, and if you rewind right after, it rewinds to when the pits are empty.

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom
Fiddled around with upgrades/tuning this morning. Switched to AWD and tuned to 90% braking (controller; suggested in this thread) and more downforce on front/rear, and I don't lose control around EVERY corner now. yyaaaaaayyyyy, I can probably manage top 5 in a race now, and not last/2nd last

Off to class for 9 hours now, will find a way to manage sharper turns later :(

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Basil Brush posted:

Fiddled around with upgrades/tuning this morning. Switched to AWD and tuned to 90% braking (controller; suggested in this thread) and more downforce on front/rear, and I don't lose control around EVERY corner now. yyaaaaaayyyyy, I can probably manage top 5 in a race now, and not last/2nd last

I find that the handling upgrades in this version of the game have a really good usable default tune to them. I took a stock SC300 and moved it into class B with all the handling upgrades I could fit, race tyres and a touch of power improvements, and it handled like a dream with virtually nothing else done but a reduction of final drive and shifting the brake pressure back to 89%.

Maybe it's the physics system too but the car literally was a dream to drive and very easy to lap at a constant quick pace.

Basil Brush
Jul 21, 2008

boom boom

lotharr posted:

I find that the handling upgrades in this version of the game have a really good usable default tune to them. I took a stock SC300 and moved it into class B with all the handling upgrades I could fit, race tyres and a touch of power improvements, and it handled like a dream with virtually nothing else done but a reduction of final drive and shifting the brake pressure back to 89%.

Maybe it's the physics system too but the car literally was a dream to drive and very easy to lap at a constant quick pace.

Maybe AWD made the difference but I was upgrading handling on any car (not tuning) I drove before the rest and I still lost control, but it could just be brake pressure because controllers suck.

I dunno I'll keep fiddling later and see what I can come up with using a few different classes

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Basil Brush posted:

If you can't do braking without ABS at all, some ideas (and you can easily apply these methods to other aspects of driving):

Stop test- Grab a stock car that you'd feel comfortable handling in life, load up the benchmark ring, layout A will do. Drive your car past a landmark at 55mph. Jam on the brakes 100%, lock it up. Now you have a stopping target. Repeat, trying not to lock up and if possible stopping before the mark. Play around with different speeds.

Driving test- Either load up a hot lap style mode that you don't mind flubbing or go to test drive (upgrade > test drive) on a nice short track with a couple of decent straights. Do laps and wuss the braking completely by letting off the gas way too early. Just get around for a few laps at slow speed. Once you can make a few clean laps, work up to race speed in increments. Charge later and later into the corners, and use Rewind when you mess up. Make as many laps as you can before your nerves give out. Repeat later.

Racing- Race hard, rewind a lot. With some patience, you can practice a single turn dozens of times in quick succession. Does the computer always beat you into a turn? Replay it until you figure it out. Do you need to pick a better line, are you unsettling the car, etc. Practice practice.

e: also, I'm going to re-learn controller clutch on Suzuka with the NSX-R. It's manly-man time, in manly-man-land.

TannhauserGate fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2011

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

3,000,000 CR well spent :coal:

Jarf fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 26, 2011

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
What class of car are you racing? A and higher will benefit from downforce, but if you're driving anything B or lower, going all out with downforce is going to get you killed in the straights, likewise with converting to AWD.

Try increasing the rear tire width instead - on RWD cars this improves braking and exit considerably, especially now that there exists considerable penalties to driving an AWD car. Putting just one level of width upgrades to the rear tires on the 99 Civic I built gave it a massively appreciable difference in grip.

If you are losing traction on exit in an RWD car you probably need to take a different angle of attack to the corner or ease the accelerator on as you leave rather than flooring it immediately.

As for braking, try driving with 100% brake pressure and turning telemetry on - then just develop muscle memory for when you're at nearly 100% braking.

Maybe you could send me a replay or share one on your storefront so I can see how you're driving and what you're driving?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jarf posted:

3,000,000 CR well spent :coal:

I'm partial to the Aston myself, but worth every imaginary penny for sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm partial to the Aston myself, but worth every imaginary penny for sure.

That's one of the first cars I badly want. So beautiful.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

My brake pressure is never lower than 115%. :/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Okay, so I've never screwed around with any of the tuning settings, but obviously I've pumped a bunch of upgrades into various cars. Most recently, I tried swapping the Evora engine into the Lotus Exige -- now it literally hops on hard acceleration and braking. What settings should I be adjusting to prevent this, or should I just accept that a 400hp engine doesn't belong in the Exige?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

PT6A posted:

Okay, so I've never screwed around with any of the tuning settings, but obviously I've pumped a bunch of upgrades into various cars. Most recently, I tried swapping the Evora engine into the Lotus Exige -- now it literally hops on hard acceleration and braking. What settings should I be adjusting to prevent this, or should I just accept that a 400hp engine doesn't belong in the Exige?

Throttle control. Go drive the SSC Ultimate Aero stock for a bit and you'll find out all about it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

PT6A posted:

Not exactly sure what you mean, but you could try softening up the rear suspension components. Try lowering the rear spring rates to 85-90% the front setting. My rebound settings are usually about 7.9- 9.0 or so, again with rear being 75 - 90% front. The Bump setting ought to have a big influence, try setting the front around 5.5-6.0 and rear 4.8 - 5.5, you can go lower on both, but watch your suspension telemetry to make sure you're not bottoming out.

The quick and dirty of it is that the softer you make the back, the more traction you'll have there -relative to the front. However the larger the difference between front/rear stiffness, the more dramatic it will be when you do lose traction.

Edit: also, this is entirely my opinion, but I have yet to find an engine or drivetrain swap that was a considerable improvement, drag racing not withstanding. It seems like the typically massive boost in power, coupled with a disturbance in balance, usually does as much harm as good. I would be curious to hear any swaps others have found especially effective.

ihop fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 26, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Tonight I decided to learn how to use manual + clutch. I ran a bunch of laps on the Starter Car Open Top Gear track and managed to get up to Top 5% with a :45.536. It took about an hour to really get the hang of shifting down, and the gains are pretty noticeable. I'd recommend everyone give it a try if you haven't yet.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Manual is deceptively ready if you set up the controls right. Just mash a+x/a+b and gain alot of speed and control.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Many thanks to Mr Spades Slick, best gift car ever :allears:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I said come in! posted:

My copy of Forza 4 is here a day early. :hellyeah: I'm just having to wait another 24 hours for my Xbox 360 to arrive now. Cruel joke on Amazon's part. :v:

Make sure to pop your gt in here when you get setup, I want to beat all your times again like in Shift 2! Rivals mode is basically autolog.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

ISCI, I am watching your FM4 experience with great interest.
One question: I can't remember if you use a wheel, so do you? I have a wheel for my PC/PS3 and another for my XBox360, and I just can't imagine going back to a controller; or trying to judge a racing sim with one.

GentlemanOfLeisure posted:

Tonight I decided to learn how to use manual + clutch. I ran a bunch of laps on the Starter Car Open Top Gear track and managed to get up to Top 5% with a :45.536. It took about an hour to really get the hang of shifting down, and the gains are pretty noticeable. I'd recommend everyone give it a try if you haven't yet.

I just said this a few pages back, and it's definitely a noticeable improvement in shifting time. Again, if you care about posting the best lap times you can, adapt to this!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 26, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Poopsocked my way through season 10 today. After all that, I have 4 check marks (finished series) in my events list. Ugh.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ihop posted:

Edit: also, this is entirely my opinion, but I have yet to find an engine or drivetrain swap that was a considerable improvement, drag racing not withstanding. It seems like the typically massive boost in power, coupled with a disturbance in balance, usually does as much harm as good. I would be curious to hear any swaps others have found especially effective.

I put the M5 E92 engine into the M5 E28 (tuned to A600), the new engine has a smoother power band and is better controllable accelerating out of a corner. I took it out again though because engine and drivetrain swaps change the characteristics (especially the sound) of a car so much, I can't really enjoy them.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey CaseFace,
Remember we were chatting in IRC about doing an Eddie Van Halen paint job before last weekend? I mashed something together, it isn't great; and I am SURE it's been done better. But I did do this. Hope you like it.

Bad poster here, I apologize. Just check the gallery, there are two shots of it here:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Gallery.aspx?gt=Captain%20Howdy%200

If there's a regular Countach in the game I'll either do the original white w/black stripes theme or the Charvel theme which is all black with yellow stripes.

I'm no FM artist. Hell, the drat stripes are hard enough! (also please forgive me for the terrible things I did to that poor Ferrari!)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 26, 2011

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Falken your car is ready

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

ISCI, I am watching your FM4 experience with great interest.
One question: I can't remember if you use a wheel, so do you? I have a wheel for my PC/PS3 and another for my XBox360, and I just can't imagine going back to a controller; or trying to judge a racing sim with one.

I only have a Logitech DFGT, so no wheel for me on Forza yet. It might be a while. But yeah, i'm gonna poopsock this game and will be posting a lot of impressions.

I already have my GT if you want to add me; omgitsbees

Sunday Punch posted:

Falken your car is ready

drat dude, you guys make some fantastic liveries. While watching the Forza 3 thread a lot, this was the stuff that made me want this game in the first place. I've always felt like I was missing out on something really unique that no other sim offered because... well no other sim offers anything else that Forza has from what i've seen. I've played Forza 1 a lot, and bits of Forza 3 but have always been a Gran Turismo and PC racing sim goon.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Only thing that depresses me, as time goes on, most of the online players learn every track very well, and know all the best cars and tunes for ever class, and I get last place every race.

Then I get frustrated and quit. Perhaps this time around I just need to man up, do my homework, and put in track time, and be competitive enough to continue enjoying online races.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

ChocNitty posted:

Only thing that depresses me, as time goes on, most of the online players learn every track very well, and know all the best cars and tunes for ever class, and I get last place every race.

Then I get frustrated and quit. Perhaps this time around I just need to man up, do my homework, and put in track time, and be competitive enough to continue enjoying online races.

I haven't played with it much yet, but FM3 had Cyclced Production as an online mode and it was a blast. A cycling set of completely stock cars - everyone is on the same foot, other than skill and track knowledge.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

I said come in! posted:

drat dude, you guys make some fantastic liveries.

I'm crossposting whoring this out because I spent too much time on it and I just want to be one of the boys :shobon:

Also I'm really glad to see you picking up FM4 ISCI, it was fun to race with you in GT5 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Also I'm really glad to see you picking up FM4 ISCI, it was fun to race with you in GT5 :)

I enjoyed playing with you guys on the rare times that I was able to. :) The multiplayer in GT5 bummed me out the most about that game, I had a lot of issues trying to play it online. Mic didn't work or cars would disappear so I didn't see the whole grid, or I just couldn't join the lobby ever for some random reason on Polyphony's end.

• Locked thread