Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006
So I just claymored the rotten dragon to death in the Painted World. There's still a mountain of flesh left behind. I tried hitting it a couple of times, but to no avail. Is there anything behind there? I just got a dragon scale and a blood shield from the dragon fight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Sumadartson posted:

So I just claymored the rotten dragon to death in the Painted World. There's still a mountain of flesh left behind. I tried hitting it a couple of times, but to no avail. Is there anything behind there? I just got a dragon scale and a blood shield from the dragon fight...

Jump attack it and stand back.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Does stacking poise help prevent knockdown effects? Like, if you toss on a full suit of Havel's and the wolf ring can you prevent Wrath of God stunlocking?

Or is there some other way of escaping it that I have not yet figured out?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Does stacking poise help prevent knockdown effects? Like, if you toss on a full suit of Havel's and the wolf ring can you prevent Wrath of God stunlocking?

Or is there some other way of escaping it that I have not yet figured out?
There are four responses to getting hit:
1. Nothing
2. Flinching
3. Knockback
4. Knock down
The more poise you have, the more this gets stretched. So say something knocks you back with 20 poise, it might just make you flinch at 60, and not even interrupt you at 120 (these numbers are all made up).

I wish I could wear better gloves. Too bad that I'm 0.2 under my 50% weight threshold. :qq:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

There are four responses to getting hit:
1. Nothing
2. Flinching
3. Knockback
4. Knock down
The more poise you have, the more this gets stretched. So say something knocks you back with 20 poise, it might just make you flinch at 60, and not even interrupt you at 120 (these numbers are all made up).

I wish I could wear better gloves. Too bad that I'm 0.2 under my 50% weight threshold. :qq:
On the attacking side, is what affect happens merely based on the amount of damage the attack is dealing, or something else?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Daeren posted:

Seriously have no idea what people are on about with Crystal Cave. The invisible platforms were easy as hell to navigate, and I'm offline, so I couldn't cheese it by following messages. So either I got very lucky due to being cautious, or people like complaining. The loooong walk from the bonfire was pretty annoying though.

The complaints about Lost Izalith are valid and the developers definitely phoned that one in. I can understand the whining about Tomb of the Giants if you are some type of stubborn person who refuses to get the Sunlight Maggot or Cast Light. But if someone is complaining about the Crystal Caverns the fault is entirely on their video game playing ability and not the game's difficulty. There is nothing wrong with that area at all and it's extremely straight forward. Watch where the specks fall --> run to them. It's not even remotely difficult or tricky.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Only part of the Crystal Caves that was annoying to me was the path to the blue slab. Its the only curved path and the shape is all irregular and I fell off it like 6 times before I just started throwing prism stones every step.

Tomb of Giants is an awesome level gently caress the haters.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Daeren posted:

So...Nito.

Am I the only one who was really depressed that he didn't get much of any characterization? He had one of the most incredible designs in the game, and a ton of potential - the First of the Dead in a world full of Undead - but even scouring through items for references all I could get were the Pinwheel guys apparently stole some of his mojo. Then when I got to the big man himself after the quivering pile of not-fun that is the Tomb of the Giants, I'm rewarded with the biggest snoozefest boss since the Gaping Dragon. I only had to heal a single time and, with Quelaag's Furysword +5 and a buffer of Humanity, could kill his skeleton minions so fast when they got near me hacking on Nito I didn't even need to switch to the divine mace I had laying around. All I had to do was walk in circles around him and chop at his feet while he flailed his huge sword around and missed me by miles every time.

It was really a shame. Also, Tomb of the Giants goes from :tizzy: to merely dull once you get Cast Light, in my opinion. However, I can't even imagine trying to get all the way to the lantern without a light source. I tried a few times and about ate my controller in fury.

Seriously have no idea what people are on about with Crystal Cave. The invisible platforms were easy as hell to navigate, and I'm offline, so I couldn't cheese it by following messages. So either I got very lucky due to being cautious, or people like complaining. The loooong walk from the bonfire was pretty annoying though.

And now I have a choice between finishing New Londo or Lost Izalith, which is like choosing between ghost rape and tyrannosaurus rape. I think I'll just flip a coin.

Bonus content: I love the world of this game, it's so...minimalistic yet evocative. One kind of crackpot theory I have that may give character to Nito is as follows (spoilered because who knows what to spoiler anymore)

Frampt says that the beings that hold the lordsouls have either turned to wickedness (Hello, Seath, Four Kings, Bed of Chaos), or have outlived their usefulness. This is probably where Nito fits, being unobtrusive and generally sticking to himself at the bottom of the world with his skeletons, but I noticed through the game that only five things drop humanity: NPCS, Piscasa, cannibals (the Butchers and the dudes in Blighttown), rats, and the skeletal babies. Humans having humanity makes sense, Piscasa used to be human (:gonk:), rats and cannibals having humanity can be explained by them consuming the corpses of the fallen and absorbing it, but the skeleton babies are harder to explain.

One possible explanation for the place I've come up with is that Nito, or perhaps the Pinwheels stealing his power, are trying to create life from death, a truly Undead race, along the lines of Seath's stolen immortality. Nito and/or the Pinwheels, instead of wanting to stave off death, wanted to give a facsimile of life back to the truly dead, by infusing the baby skeletons with Humanity and creating them endlessly. It's another way of addressing the fear of both immortality and death that seems to permeate this game.

Plus, immortality that doesn't depend on the Fires would scare the crap out of the Gwyn family, so they'd certainly want him dead(er).

Of course, I may just be reading too much into item drops in a video game :shepface:

Edit: Forgot about one enemy that drops Humanity.
I tend to think the skeletons are just bones of dead humans. The humanity sprites are just stuck inside the rotting tissue. The necros ressurrect the dead but don't really care about the humanity (why would they?) as so much as it's just there clinging to the bones. That explains why rats and cannibals have it too, from eating the flesh of humans. This also kind-of explains why the ghosts of New Londo don't have humanity because the sprites can't cling to the ethereal.

If they were building a society then I guess infusing them with humanity would make more sense, but I tend to think they are building an army and not an autonomous society.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 25, 2011

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Daeren posted:

Jump attack it and stand back.

I'm nigh certain that particular response wasn't intentional on From's part. The dragon bottom is invincible, only reacts to a jumping attack for some reason, has no animation for standing up (the model just kinda switches to it's standing stance and floats up really fast), and when you drop behind it the knight spawns in right in front of you. It's just bizarre. I'm guessing it was just supposed to act as a roadblock, forcing you to go open the door with the underground lever, but some oversight in its behavior makes it switch states when hit with a jumping attack.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Pigbuster posted:

I'm nigh certain that particular response wasn't intentional on From's part. The dragon bottom is invincible, only reacts to a jumping attack for some reason, has no animation for standing up (the model just kinda switches to it's standing stance and floats up really fast), and when you drop behind it the knight spawns in right in front of you. It's just bizarre. I'm guessing it was just supposed to act as a roadblock, forcing you to go open the door with the underground lever, but some oversight in its behavior makes it switch states when hit with a jumping attack.

I know, but it's still funny as hell to do.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So when exactly is the big patch supposed to hit and do we have any idea of the changes that are forthcoming?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Xeras posted:

So when exactly is the big patch supposed to hit and do we have any idea of the changes that are forthcoming?

We at least know that the Fog Ring's going to lose its bullshit lock-on impairment.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how important is armor anyway.

I've been rocking the thief's set I found in lower undead burg, I've upgraded the gently caress out of it to, I can take hits and best of all I'm super mobile which is my main reason for wearing it.

Should I upgrade eventually or just keep using what I like?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Xeras posted:

No exact date but From did detail some changes, namely getting rid of the infinite souls trick, fixing the Great Magic Shield glitch, making changes to Fog Ring/Tranquil Walk of Peace, and rebalancing weapon/armor scaling (vague as to what they'll do exactly though).

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Man the grinding spot in Darkroot Forest on New Game+ is awesome, I'm getting at least 7000 souls per enemy kill :stare:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Every single person who talks about the Tomb of Giants talks about having to get a "sunlight maggot" or "cast light." Has no one realized that, after 3 minutes of the tomb, Patches kicks you down a pit and you land directly in front of a corpse that has a lamp item?

I went in there with nothing and no idea what to do, and 3 minutes later I had a lamp. I think that's what the developers intended the players to do.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I just want to say that this game is glorious and is everything I could have hoped for. However, it still has lovely platforming and The Great Hollow as well as that second smaller tree down by Ash Lake can go rot in hell. I got pushed off so many loving times by the camera spazzing out and spinning me off to my death. Fuuuuck.

DannyH posted:

I am on NG+, level 91 and i summon the help of a guy to help me with Red & Stimpy. He promptly dies very quickly and i check his achievements. He was still on his first playthrough and has not beaten those two yet.

On the other hand, I had just killed Lautrec so I decided to burn one of my 6-7 Humanity and see if there were any summons. I see two, summon the first and after 20-30 seconds decide it was pointless. I go for the second one and moments later guy #1 shows up. Then the second guy shows up and it's time to go kill O&S.

The first guy is wielding what I assume was a claymore as it lacked the little spikes that a zweihander has. Anyway, we get up the first stairs to the two Sentinels and he just runs in like a psychopath as I had stopped for a moment to try and let guy #2 catch up. I freak out and rush in two-handing my lightning spear as I see him lose half his health in a single blow.

I get in and manage one hit and the suddenly one of the sentinels is dead. :stare:

Needless to say, at that point I just took out my Quelaag's +4 and two-handed it from then on. O&S was kind of hilarious.

Would that guy's weapon have been a Lightning Zweihander, because holy poo poo I need one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Every single person who talks about the Tomb of Giants talks about having to get a "sunlight maggot" or "cast light." Has no one realized that, after 3 minutes of the tomb, Patches kicks you down a pit and you land directly in front of a corpse that has a lamp item?

I went in there with nothing and no idea what to do, and 3 minutes later I had a lamp. I think that's what the developers intended the players to do.

Assuming that you consider yourself a cleric or have never met Patches before, yes.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

Assuming that you consider yourself a cleric or have never met Patches before, yes.

Also assuming that you managed to grope your way down to Patches through the 4 giant skeletons on cliffs and 2 hidden archers shooting giant arrows at you the entire way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

No exact date but From did detail some changes, namely getting rid of the infinite souls trick, fixing the Great Magic Shield glitch, making changes to Fog Ring/Tranquil Walk of Peace, and rebalancing weapon/armor scaling (vague as to what they'll do exactly though).
I guess I'll link the page again since like 300 pages have gone by. Anyway it says

・一部の魔法、効果の見直し
 ・魔法の盾、強い魔法の盾
 ・緩やかな平和の歩み
 ・霧の指輪 など
・魔法やアイテムの無限使用
・属性武器に対する、能力武器のバランスの見直し
・マッチング条件の調整
・マップ切り替わり時の読み込み不具合 など
※改善項目の詳細は後日改めて告知させていただきます。

- some magic effects changed, such as
- magic shield, strong magic shield
- peaceful walk of...what was it called in English again? I forget
- fog ring, etc
- magic and item infinite trick
- change balance of elemental weapons vs. scaling weapons
- adjust matching (multiplayer) conditions
- flaws in disc reading when changing areas, etc (the only time I have seen this is once before the four kings fight, does it happen elsewhere too?)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So if I join the Darkwraiths, Frampt vanishes for the rest of my game? Is that a bad thing/does that affect anything other than him just not being there?

Once I swapped out my lightning zweihander +4 for a Balder straight sword +12, fighting Darkwraiths got a huge amount easier. Going back to my old friend zweihander for the Kings, though.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Alright I give up. What the gently caress is ceaseless discharges gimmick? I have over 300+ fire resistance and a shield with 80% fire reduction that I made from a boss soul and am decked out in Havel's armour. I am also at less the 50% equip load so I can still roll and run.

His attacks take 30%-40% of my health and I cannot dodge his attacks. Am I missing something?

Also does anyone else feel that after Anor Londo that the game takes a big poo poo? Everything so far feels so half-assed and badly implemented. I miss the beginning were I was decked out in nothing but wanderer armour, a basic spear and my wits. Now it just feels like I'm cheesing everything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

Alright I give up. What the gently caress is ceaseless discharges gimmick? I have over 300+ fire resistance and a shield with 80% fire reduction that I made from a boss soul and am decked out in Havel's armour. I am also at less the 50% equip load so I can still roll and run.

His attacks take 30%-40% of my health and I cannot dodge his attacks. Am I missing something?
You are missing that you can just walk right out of the range of his tentacles, wait for them to come down, and hit them over and over again before he can pull them back up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
He only vanishes if you give the Lordvessel to Kaathe.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Elysiume posted:

So if I join the Darkwraiths, Frampt vanishes for the rest of my game? Is that a bad thing/does that affect anything other than him just not being there?

Once I swapped out my lightning zweihander +4 for a Balder straight sword +12, fighting Darkwraiths got a huge amount easier. Going back to my old friend zweihander for the Kings, though.

It's not a bad thing.

Here's the deal, though. I think the crux of it is actually bringing the Lord Vessel to Kaathe instead of Frampt. Frampt still shows up after you ring both bells, even if you've joined the Darkwriaths. Kaathe will ask you to bring him the Lord Vessel, and if you talk to him again you can join his covenant.

Once you bring him the Vessel, Frampt will still be there, but he gets bitchy when you talk to him and then vanishes. Kaathe will still take you down to the vessel altar, and you can still jump safely into Frampt's hole to get there as well.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I'm playing through with my second character, going from a strength-based great axe wielder, to a pure pyromancer. I have pumped my pyromancy flame and my attunement to the point of everything so far being laughably easy. I'm about to do Four Kings and got to thinking about how hard Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith are going to be, considering I'll probably not even be able to scratch the bosses down there with my fire spells (Quelaag doesn't even take damage from them). Is it going to be as difficult as I suspect with this build? Any pointers?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You are missing that you can just walk right out of the range of his tentacles, wait for them to come down, and hit them over and over again before he can pull them back up.

I tried that and was still getting hit like crazy. If I ran away then ran back he would recover and I would only be able to get a hit in maybe 50% of the time.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Pierson posted:

He only vanishes if you give the Lordvessel to Kaathe.

He vanished for me and I never even saw Kaathe.

My first playthrough I had missed what he told me to do with the Lordvessel so I just decided to go to the New Londo Ruins. After a failed attempt at the Four Kings I came back to try and talk to him but he was asleep. I didn't want to gently caress anything up trying to wake him and there was a message saying to jump into his pit so I did that. Lit the fire down there, warped out, came back to try and talk to him again and he got pissed at me for some reason and left. Kaathe never appeared so I just finished the game on my own after that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I want to join Kaathe's group of cool guys because of what I've read about the story. Also, my other character threw in with Frampt. That's assuming I can kill the kings. :ohdear:

Can I drop down, or do I need to go down every single stair?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

ColdCock posted:

I'm playing through with my second character, going from a strength-based great axe wielder, to a pure pyromancer. I have pumped my pyromancy flame and my attunement to the point of everything so far being laughably easy. I'm about to do Four Kings and got to thinking about how hard Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith are going to be, considering I'll probably not even be able to scratch the bosses down there with my fire spells (Quelaag doesn't even take damage from them). Is it going to be as difficult as I suspect with this build? Any pointers?

Just use a lightning weapon and you'll literally do as much melee damage as every other character, which is the other reason why pyromancy is so OP.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Red Mundus posted:

I tried that and was still getting hit like crazy. If I ran away then ran back he would recover and I would only be able to get a hit in maybe 50% of the time.
Cheese strategy: Starting at the fog door, book it to the altar where you originally picked up the gold hemmed robes. Now book it back to the fog door, taking the outside path / NOT taking the somewhat safe little side path. Now just stand at the fog door.

He will stumble and fall into the bottomless pit there, and reach out with a single claw that will land in front of you. Hit it a few times. He'll fall. You win. YAY.

I tried fighting him legitimately, then decided... eeeh. It seems like the "right" way of fighting him would be ridiculously tedious.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

You're going all the way to the back corner of that V shaped passage? He shouldn't be able to hit you there, but he will try, and every time he tries you just run up and smack his tentacle a few times.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

Light Weapons - Long Range Thrust Swords, Spears, Whips

-This attack occurs during the Block, you don't drop your block at any point during the attack. This is a great tool throughout the whole game, it trivializes many enemies and even some bosses.

This, so much this. I'm watching my roommate slog through as a caster and get smashed over and over and over and OVER. I'm sitting patiently trying not to tell him how to play, but jeez, grab a shield and spear and keep your shield up while you circle your enemy poking at their butt. And when he does use his shield, he just puts it up, pokes away all his stamina with a spear then gets smacked. Enemies animations are very deliberate, so you can take a hit, drop your shield, recharge stamina, then put it up before their next blow.

Capra demon? KEEP YOUR SHIELD UP
Anor Lando Archers? KEEP YOUR SHIELD UP
Knights? SHIELD. Giants? SHIELD. Giant Knights? SHIELD.

Sure there's some stuff that will smack you through your shield. But 99% of the time KEEP YOUR SHIELD UP. I killed the Capra demon on my first try, in like 4 minutes, without any guides or spoilers. Just walked in, shield up and poked him to death.

I know play styles may vary, but god, I get frustrated just watching my roommate get killed and killed and killed on easy guys. More frustrated than with my own game.

Poke... poke

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

Also assuming you are okay with one handing your weapon and a lantern in the other.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Cheese strategy: Starting at the fog door, book it to the altar where you originally picked up the gold hemmed robes. Now book it back to the fog door, taking the outside path / NOT taking the somewhat safe little side path. Now just stand at the fog door.

He will stumble and fall into the bottomless pit there, and reach out with a single claw that will land in front of you. Hit it a few times. He'll fall. You win. YAY.

I tried fighting him legitimately, then decided... eeeh. It seems like the "right" way of fighting him would be ridiculously tedious.

Thanks. I tried to fight him legit. It took me over 10+ minutes to get him to half health then I glitched out and died despite nothing hitting me. Whelp, off I got to cheese yet another enemy. Seriously, I almost expect to have to get the final boss stuck a rock or something to even have a chance at some of these enemies.

The ironic thing is that people were mentioning how hard great hollows/ash lake was but I was able to go through without dieing once or taking a hit. I thought "Oh, okay. Guess I'm ready for demon ruins!" :suicide:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The Four Kings...seem pretty much impossible for me, considering that if Iron Flesh wears off I die in a single hit. Is there really anything I can do for this other than 2-hand my sword and swing it or use Crystal Ring?

Being level 26 is making this really rough for the later parts.

edit: Oh, I can summon Beatrice!

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 25, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I want to join Kaathe's group of cool guys because of what I've read about the story. Also, my other character threw in with Frampt. That's assuming I can kill the kings. :ohdear:

Can I drop down, or do I need to go down every single stair?

You can drop down but there are some bits sticking out that will kill you if you hit them. If you don't know how to avoid them, don't drop down.

(Attention people I summon for help: I EXPECT YOU NOT TO DIE ON THE STAIRS. It's not very helpful for me when I land in the abyss and get a message that you've been defeated!)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Okay, stupid question: If I die, then quit at the bonfire, will the souls/humanity I dropped still be there next time I play?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Dominic White posted:

Okay, stupid question: If I die, then quit at the bonfire, will the souls/humanity I dropped still be there next time I play?

Yes. They will only disappear if you die again without getting them or have some other strange case of data not being saved properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Elysiume posted:

The Four Kings...seem pretty much impossible for me, considering that if Iron Flesh wears off I die in a single hit. Is there really anything I can do for this other than 2-hand my sword and swing it or use Crystal Ring?

Being level 26 is making this really rough for the later parts.

edit: Oh, I can summon Beatrice!

Naw I did it at SL19 without Beatrice and quite a few have done it at the starting class levels. What armor are you wearing? With Iron Flesh you shouldn't try to worry about being over 50% or whatever since you'll be the slowest no matter what. Plus the Kings will float to you at incredible speed.

I used Havels armor + twohanding Quel Furysword, RoFaP and obviously abyss walking ring. I tried using the crystal ring shield but it was kinda slow. I also used the Grass Crest Shield for stamina, but had it on my back.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 25, 2011

• Locked thread