Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can drop down but there are some bits sticking out that will kill you if you hit them. If you don't know how to avoid them, don't drop down.

(Attention people I summon for help: I EXPECT YOU NOT TO DIE ON THE STAIRS. It's not very helpful for me when I land in the abyss and get a message that you've been defeated!)
Well, it seems entirely impossible for me. Beatrice is worthless, and I just don't deal quite enough damage on my own. Once Iron Flesh wears off I'll die in a single hit unless I'm blocking, and if a second King spawns I can't block them both. I haven't seen a single summon sigil, probably because I'm level 26. How am I supposed to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

sentrygun posted:

Yes. They will only disappear if you die again without getting them or have some other strange case of data not being saved properly.

Good. I died against the Gaping Dragon - not even Solaire and Lautrec helped, and I stupidly died while carrying approximately 16k souls and 5 humanity.

I still have the Ring of Sacrifice, though. Tomorrow, I shall venture back into the depths, put the ring on, grab those souls, and then put up whatever fight I can before being devoured.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Gaping Dragon- wait for him to smash the ground and charge. Once he stops charging, run up and slash him a few times. Repeat until he dies.
Slice of his tail for a weapon you'll probably never use.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Dominic White posted:

Good. I died against the Gaping Dragon - not even Solaire and Lautrec helped, and I stupidly died while carrying approximately 16k souls and 5 humanity.

I still have the Ring of Sacrifice, though. Tomorrow, I shall venture back into the depths, put the ring on, grab those souls, and then put up whatever fight I can before being devoured.

I'd suggest not summoning any help for him. Extra help is a distraction, but that gaping rear end in a top hat is liable to tail swipe you if you end up behind him and that'll kill most players in one shot at that point. If you go in alone you can at least predict where his attacks are going to end up.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Melee users, what is your optimal end game, PVP outfit? I've got all the armor sets except for Dragonslayer, including a maxed out Antiquated skirt. Assuming I farm out Twinkling Titanite, is there an ideal melee outfit?

FWIW, I do have Darkwraith armor and Smough's (ugh!).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Oh man, I've been invaded twice and I love it. Is there anything that will improve my chances of getting invaded? Besides being in human form.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Stand around in the Forest?

Two people on Gaping Dragon makes it really easy to cut off the tail. Even just Solaire distracting him means you can get the tail off, and then his only remotely dangerous attack is the jump where he moves.

If you can get a highly geared phantom, go for it. It's kind of hard to tell, though. I take off the tail in 1-2 hits and knock off more than a bar per hit, and most people I assist do maybe 1/5th of a bar per hit. It makes it way quicker.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Red Mundus posted:

Alright I give up. What the gently caress is ceaseless discharges gimmick? I have over 300+ fire resistance and a shield with 80% fire reduction that I made from a boss soul and am decked out in Havel's armour. I am also at less the 50% equip load so I can still roll and run.

His attacks take 30%-40% of my health and I cannot dodge his attacks. Am I missing something?

Also does anyone else feel that after Anor Londo that the game takes a big poo poo? Everything so far feels so half-assed and badly implemented. I miss the beginning were I was decked out in nothing but wanderer armour, a basic spear and my wits. Now it just feels like I'm cheesing everything.

Every boss pro-tip: use Iron Flesh.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
It really helps to have a stockpile of rings of sacrifice on hand (purchasable from the church belltower) if you like to run around with 30+ humanity. Keeps my drop rate nice and maxed out at 410 with the gold serpent ring on, though I feel like that might've screwed with the drop rate of lower tier items. I have four black knight shields, and none of their weapons.

I've been standing around in the forest invading people for awhile. I run up to them with tranquil walk of peace on so they're fully encumbered and can't roll, hit them with a Lloyd Talisman so they can't heal, and then pelt them with lightning spears just outside of their attack range. It makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat, but it's so effective. Also the last guy I killed earned me a second pendant, so I guess the only gift that you can't get in-game is the master key.

VVV Those items are consumables, use them and it will add humanity to your total in the upper-left.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 25, 2011

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
what does it mean when I have humanity in my inventory/items list but it doesnt show up in the HUD, and the bonfire says I have no humanity?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

sentrygun posted:

I'd suggest not summoning any help for him. Extra help is a distraction, but that gaping rear end in a top hat is liable to tail swipe you if you end up behind him and that'll kill most players in one shot at that point. If you go in alone you can at least predict where his attacks are going to end up.

If you've got two summons on the Gaping Dragon you can slice his tail off the first time he charges and after that you don't really have to wait out his patterns because he's a lot less dangerous to get close to when he doesn't have his tail swipe.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ball Stink posted:

what does it mean when I have humanity in my inventory/items list but it doesnt show up in the HUD, and the bonfire says I have no humanity?

The number on the HUD is the gas in your car. The items in your inventory is the gas at the gas station.

Use the items as needed, mostly to be human so you can summon or to be human so you can kindle bonfires.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Boosh! posted:

Melee users, what is your optimal end game, PVP outfit? I've got all the armor sets except for Dragonslayer, including a maxed out Antiquated skirt. Assuming I farm out Twinkling Titanite, is there an ideal melee outfit?

FWIW, I do have Darkwraith armor and Smough's (ugh!).

There are several sets that are really decent fully upgraded.

Black Iron is basically equivalent to Smough's in the Heavy category, weighing slightly less but giving slightly less poise

In medium you have Lautrec's Embraced, Kirk's Thorns, Black Knight, Ornstein's, and the Catarina all being great sets with slightly varying levels of resistance to weight/poise. Darkwraith is almost comparable to all of these, so if you like it you might as well upgrade it.

In light you have Antiquated, Witch Beatrice, Big Hats, and Hollow Thief (personal favorite but probably not that good) also being great.

So yeah go with something you like to look at because chances are fully upgraded your armor is pretty good!

Paladin is also a great medium set if you know how to get it!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

casual poster posted:

Oh man, I've been invaded twice and I love it. Is there anything that will improve my chances of getting invaded? Besides being in human form.
Apparently the Dead Finger item, when used, reduces your invasion cooldown, I don't know if it's permanent though.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Sheep-Goats posted:

The number on the HUD is the gas in your car. The items in your inventory is the gas at the gas station.

Use the items as needed, mostly to be human so you can summon or to be human so you can kindle bonfires.

THe bonfire says I don't have any humanity though, when I try to reverse. My inventory does.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You need to use liquid humanity to kindle/unhollow. Liquid is in the HUD and goes into bloodstains.

Elysiume posted:

Well, it seems entirely impossible for me. Beatrice is worthless, and I just don't deal quite enough damage on my own. Once Iron Flesh wears off I'll die in a single hit unless I'm blocking, and if a second King spawns I can't block them both. I haven't seen a single summon sigil, probably because I'm level 26. How am I supposed to do this?
Crystal Ring Shield, I didn't have enough faith in you. I'll never doubt again. :swoon: (I killed them)

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Black Iron is basically equivalent to Smough's in the Heavy category, weighing slightly less but giving slightly less poise

In medium you have Lautrec's Embraced, Kirk's Thorns, Black Knight, Ornstein's, and the Catarina all being great sets with slightly varying levels of resistance to weight/poise. Darkwraith is almost comparable to all of these, so if you like it you might as well upgrade it.

In light you have Antiquated, Witch Beatrice, Big Hats, and Hollow Thief (personal favorite but probably not that good) also being great.

So yeah go with something you like to look at because chances are fully upgraded your armor is pretty good!

I don't know why, but I always gravitate to the "normal" looking armors, like the Elite Knight's Set (which is also pretty nice when upgraded to +9 or +10). I think it's the juxtaposition of a workman-like adventurer in these crazy, horrific, Gigeresque environments that appeals to me. Just a dude trying to make his way in the world, not some hyper-ornate silver/golden god. I was the same way in Demon's Souls, where I went with a Knight set with the Mirdan helmet instead of the Silver Knight/Brushwood sets.

Which, now that I think about it, probably explains why I chose the ending I did the first time around.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Ball Stink posted:

THe bonfire says I don't have any humanity though, when I try to reverse. My inventory does.

It isn't looking in your inventory, it's looking at your cache in the upper left.

I'm wearing a mix of the dingy set you get from the firekeeper and elite knight. The dingy set actually mixes pretty well with elite knight, and has really good stats for how light it is. It has curse resist, and is better than gold-hemmed in almost every way at +10.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 25, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If I join the Darkwraiths, can I still farm Darkwraiths? Will they attack me?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Thanks for the info man. Much appreciated.

I don't know how!

edit: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Paladin+Leeroy

Bah! Next time.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Noxville posted:

If you've got two summons on the Gaping Dragon you can slice his tail off the first time he charges and after that you don't really have to wait out his patterns because he's a lot less dangerous to get close to when he doesn't have his tail swipe.

True if you can do enough damage to the tail to get it in one charge. Once the tail's gone the only real danger is standing in front of him too long or walking into his trample frames since they're all instakill and have a considerable range.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Elysiume posted:

If I join the Darkwraiths, can I still farm Darkwraiths? Will they attack me?

Yes. Darkwraiths are assholes, and don't give a poo poo. Also, Kaathe thinks most of them are failures anyway.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Ball Stink posted:

Right the inventory item is consumable. Use one and it puts one humanity on your HUD, which then can be used to kindle or revive, but can also be lost if you die.

Tomb of the Giants owned even with the lantern. You really REALLY have to economize your movement. The approach i took was to think of it like, OK, "seeing" and "fighting" become mutually exclusive, so you have to find a spot where you can maneuver a little, pull a skeleton to it, put out the light and kill it, repeat. The giants and crawlers are both extremely weak to circle-walking at point-blank range so you don't actually need much space. It's really tense and difficult but it was still fun.

The sticking point I think, is the early part where two of them and an archer are waiting for you before you get the lantern. There's a ramp next to the wall on one side and it's only wide enough for one of them, so you have a long distance where you can back up & hug the wall. Of course if you fall in there you have no idea about that and then a skeleton walks up behind you and smashes your head in, bad first impression

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DarkArchimedes posted:

Yes. Darkwraiths are assholes, and don't give a poo poo. Also, Kaathe thinks most of them are failures anyway.
Cool. I'm throwing in with Kaathe. He's pretty persuasive, even though I have no idea if he's lying.

edit: Oh my god, I've been using a Hollow Soldier Shield instead of my Hollow Soldier Shield +12. When did I pick this up? :negative:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 26, 2011

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Elysiume posted:

Cool. I'm throwing in with Kaathe. He's pretty persuasive, even though I have no idea if he's lying.

My take on it:

He appears to be the most straightforward character in the game, and really don't think he's lying. He's very unapologetic about what happened in New Londo, but he also doesn't make any bones about the fact that he's responsible for the Darkwraiths.

If ever there were a reason to lie to someone, that's certainly it. But he says they were all too weak, and he thinks you're different. He doesn't really have anything to gain from another Darkwraith losing its poo poo and hoarding humanity for itself.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

skinny white boy posted:

Every boss pro-tip: use Iron Flesh.
EXCEPT FOR THE BOSS OF ANOR LANDO.

Turning yourself into a lightning rod on the lightning boss is a bad, bad idea. It's ok when you're taking down the first one, but the second one will one-hit kill you with their lightning attacks if you go metal.

EDIT: Dammit, I wish I had known about Kaathe before siding with that tooth chattering rear end in a top hat at the bonfire. Oh well, something to do in another playthrough.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I had a pretty good run today:

Beat the tree guy by breaking its balls and then killing an insect living inside it(?)

Killed the Four Kings by smashing him up with my +5 Claymore that I made especially for him.

Found the Disney Princess armour.

Also, can you do that slide-down trick that enemies can do on ladders?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DarkArchimedes posted:

My take on it:

He appears to be the most straightforward character in the game, and really don't think he's lying. He's very unapologetic about what happened in New Londo, but he also doesn't make any bones about the fact that he's responsible for the Darkwraiths.

If ever there were a reason to lie to someone, that's certainly it. But he says they were all too weak, and he thinks you're different. He doesn't really have anything to gain from another Darkwraith losing its poo poo and hoarding humanity for itself.

Frampt seemed way too...buttery. Like he was trying to flatter me too much. You seem right that Kaathe doesn't seem duplicitous at all.

So I'm using my awesome Dark Hand, and wow, this is a must have for anyone who's planning to kill NPCs. I finally got around to taking my preemptive revenge on Petrus, and I got two free humanity before I punched his poo poo in.

Can you not upgrade the Dark Hand?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Right, so, I was thinking the Greatsword of Artorias would be fantastic when scaling gets fixed.

It's actually fantastic now. 700 damage with the two handed strong attack, and said attack can pass through walls.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong
Edit: ^^^ Even with hosed scaling, the Greatsword of Artorias (non-cursed version) is the strongest weapon in the game, even one-handed.

Houdini posted:

I had a pretty good run today:

Beat the tree guy by breaking its balls and then killing an insect living inside it(?)

Killed the Four Kings by smashing him up with my +5 Claymore that I made especially for him.

Found the Disney Princess armour.

Also, can you do that slide-down trick that enemies can do on ladders?

Press circle (on PS3, or whatever the right button is on a 360) and you'll slide down the ladder.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Miijhal posted:

Right, so, I was thinking the Greatsword of Artorias would be fantastic when scaling gets fixed.

It's actually fantastic now. 700 damage with the two handed strong attack, and said attack can pass through walls.

I made that today fully unaware that I needed high faith and intelligence to wield it. I can do one damage. At least that giant wolf lives in (via a sword in my inventory) :dukedog:

DarkArchimedes posted:

Press circle (on PS3, or whatever the right button is on a 360) and you'll slide down the ladder.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I've done this and it didn't work but having someone confirm the way should make it so.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Greatsword of Artorias has fantastic DPS on two handed R1 swings. My main problem with the weapon is that you'll never land those R2's in PVP on anyone with half a clue. They really need to add some sort of damage multiplier and additional guard break to give incentive to using them, because it's leaping R2 does more damage for like half the startup and recovery!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Interesting fact I found out: the Bosses scale with your Soul Level(I'm assuming its SL). I was messing around on a SL220 alt testing out some builds, and I went into Gaping Dragon with a +5 Black Knight Greatsword and 60 Str. I was only taking off about 1/100th of his hp a swing when I was two-handing it. I was doing about 800 damage per swing too. This wasn't NG+ or anything.

I went and tested it with a low level character, same path from the start of the game to the boss (excepting I used the Drake Sword instead of the Black Knight Greatsword) and my 180 damage swings were taking off almost a bar of his HP. Interesting.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Bosses still gain a % of max health for every assisting phantom summoned, right?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

So I invaded a dude in the forest and he managed to kill me after a few minutes of fighting. He sent me taunting messages over XBox Live afterward, and I learned in the resulting exchange that he was 99 in every stat.

Why the hell do you brag about being able to (eventually) kill a SL 40 when you're 99 in every stat?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I wandered around the forest, in human form, for 20 minutes, without a single invasion :( I was just fighting the trees, pissing the NPCs off, whatever, toodling around waiting for an invasion that never came.

I really wish I'd gone for the PS3 version. Oh well.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Houdini posted:

Yeah I was kind of confused by the Bed of Chaos too, I gathered that it was supposed to be what became of the Witch of Izalith so I wasn't expecting there to be a defenseless bug at the core of it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Vanguard Warden posted:

So I invaded a dude in the forest and he managed to kill me after a few minutes of fighting. He sent me taunting messages over XBox Live afterward, and I learned in the resulting exchange that he was 99 in every stat.

Why the hell do you brag about being able to (eventually) kill a SL 40 when you're 99 in every stat?
cuz yall gay n poo poo while dis be a tru killa brah

At least on PS3 sending a message to someone is a tremendous hassle so you rarely get them

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah I was kind of confused by the Bed of Chaos too, I gathered that it was supposed to be what became of the Witch of Izalith so I wasn't expecting there to be a defenseless bug at the core of it.

The theory is that the Witch of Izalith is actually Ceaseless Discharge, and the Bed of Chaos is well.. Chaos itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
For those that have tried a strength build: what's the best of these choices?

Great Club - 337 base damage - B scaling
Large Club - 300 base damage - A scaling
Dragon Tooth - 435 base damage - D scaling

• Locked thread