Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
We're going to be simulwatching Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still by Imagawa (G Gundam, Shin Mazinger Z, Tetsujin 28-go), which loving owns and you guys should definitely participate. Very good OVA. The staff from it went on to make The Big O, to give you a sense of it as well.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just reread Getter Robo Go. The sheer freaky nature of Getter energy really makes the ending. It's uncooperative semi-sentient non-nice Spiral Energy.

Or well, everything really. It's too bad only the first chapter of Getter Robo: Will of Evolution has been translated.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Hey guys, I love Gunbuster, but I was wondering if the show could be praised as a critically well-done work as well as one that's just plain entertaining.

I'd definitely give Gunbuster credit for taking an average premise (Aliens invade, dad/mom's dead, etc.) and moving it to the background. When watching Gunbuster, the alien invasion isn't the main focus, but rather, how the invasion impacts Noriko and the people around her. The glaring examples are Smith and Kimiko, and as the story concludes in episode 6, the story shows the viewer that Gunbuster doesn't go through the motions of a super robot show, but rather, it is more about developing self-esteem and altruism.

Another thing Gunbuster gets right is a matriarchal cast that doesn't take the obvious route when choosing character traits. None of the girls are submissive housewives or have any other personality traits that could undermine their character. Jung is competitive, and Kazumi is cool-headed and idolized by the cast. Noriko starts out as a naive girl who's passion outweighs her rationality, but ends the story as a selfless, mature woman who now knows what was at stake when she signed up. Noriko's desire to protect her friends reached altruism, which is arguably instrumental in a very strong friendship, weather you're fighting for your happiness or your world.

I just really like Gunbuster. Oh, and do you think that Gunbuster set that's coming out in Japan in February, with all the cool extra poo poo, will come over here to America eventually? I love concept art and promotional stuff.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Someone has been releasing the BD version of Shin Mazinger with English subs. I'm not aware that there's any blog, all the links I've seen were posted on /m/ by SantaBla !BcI83yhr6Y

1: http://www.multiupload.com/44TF7MCEMJ
2: http://www.multiupload.com/3NSBCX9OKA
3: http://www.multiupload.com/ERZA2ZRBB5
4: http://www.multiupload.com/F2ATXR0FTK
5: http://www.multiupload.com/RCGN1IBN3X

Even though I watched Gattai's version back then, I've had a blast rewatching these.

Edit: I found the release thread here.

Edit 2: Replaced the link for episode 1.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 11, 2011

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Daler Mehndi posted:

Someone has been releasing the BD version of Shin Mazinger with English subs.

Oh... oh my...

I actually can't think of any way to express how happy this makes me.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn Episode 7 out.

EDIT: Da-Garn Episode 8 out.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 29, 2011

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I was waiting for more episodes to be released, but guess I might as well link to episode 6 of Shin Mazinger if you haven't downloaded it yet.

http://www.multiupload.com/EZWZISQF9V

It's fun to be watching the show again like this, there's an awful lot of things I didn't quite catch the first time around.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn Episode 9 out.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I'm thoroughly enjoying Da Garn, it's really Fighbird done right (by cribbing heavily from what would become GaoGaiGar I think).

You've got the dumbass kid protagonist, the wacky hijinks with the sensible female sidekick, comedy authority figures and useless parents. At the same time you've got a robot police car voiced by the VA for Sandman/Kei from Orguss/Max Jenius, and a villain who looks like Guile and behaves like Ryusei Date.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Bob Smith posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying Da Garn, it's really Fighbird done right (by cribbing heavily from what would become GaoGaiGar I think).

You've got the dumbass kid protagonist, the wacky hijinks with the sensible female sidekick, comedy authority figures and useless parents. At the same time you've got a robot police car voiced by the VA for Sandman/Kei from Orguss/Max Jenius, and a villain who looks like Guile and behaves like Ryusei Date.

Same head writer.

On that note

Da-Garn episode 10 out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I just found out that Daltanious is being subbed. While this is awesome, something about seeing all them revisions of episodes seems odd. Not that there's anything wrong with going back and fixing your work, but for instance, episode 3 was revised six times.

Anyways, hell yeah Daltanious!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Oh nice. The only Daltanious I've seen is the spanish dub of a dozen episodes or so, so I suspect this'll be better :v:

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Mercury Crusader posted:

I just found out that Daltanious is being subbed. While this is awesome, something about seeing all them revisions of episodes seems odd. Not that there's anything wrong with going back and fixing your work, but for instance, episode 3 was revised six times.

Anyways, hell yeah Daltanious!

Who, knows?

But, someone subbing it is a good thing.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Episode 7 of Bluray Shin Mazinger? Sure, why not.

http://www.multiupload.com/IVZNDDOM70

Episode 8:

http://www.multiupload.com/SV35Y3I9GY

Episode 9:

http://www.multiupload.com/H9S146E6YN

Episode 10:

http://www.multiupload.com/WBNC6VMMU3

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 9, 2011

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Daler Mehndi posted:

Episode 7 of Bluray Shin Mazinger? Sure, why not.

http://www.multiupload.com/IVZNDDOM70

Episode 8:

http://www.multiupload.com/SV35Y3I9GY

Episode 9:

http://www.multiupload.com/H9S146E6YN

Episode 10:

http://www.multiupload.com/WBNC6VMMU3

I really appreciate this because I regret missing watching it when it first came out and it's loving impossible to find seeded torrents now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Any plans to put up a torrent of the blu-ray subs or something when they're done? I thought "eh, I'll get them later" and now ep 1 is dead, so...

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
SantaBla says he'll provide a batch torrent when he gets halfway through the show.

Also I fixed the link to the first episode.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Making a new post because it's episode 11 of Shin Mazinger and it's great and you should totally watch it.

Episode 11: http://www.multiupload.com/89XA7U8BX9
Episode 12: http://www.multiupload.com/FBDBOLENYH
Episode 13: http://www.multiupload.com/0XVTV6CHF8
Episode 14: http://www.multiupload.com/IS106AJ3I2
Episode 15: http://www.multiupload.com/33T1T76UO9

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 12, 2011

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Bryger 14 out.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 12, 2011

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Since I don't see it anywhere else, I'll post it here.

Xabungle 42 is out

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 11 out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Q&A session from Ryosuke Takahashi (creator of Dougram, VOTOMs etc.) during a recent trip to Scotland for anyone who cares. Ripping from some anons on /m/ who were there.

"Anon 1.0"[/quote posted:

Ryosuke Takashi was in Edinburgh for the Scotland Loves Anime film festival this weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't get tickets to the Q+A session tomorrow, but he showed up before and after the screening of the Pailsen Files movie to give a few words. There was nothing hugely exciting, but I figured I'd post what he said anyway:

- Takahashi normally doesn't go to events outside of Japan because there's not much interest in his work. He only came to Scotland to play golf.

- Takahashi thinks VOTOMS and golf are very similar because they're ancient, they're not very exciting and there's no chicks. Viewers were warned not to expect any cute girls in Pailsen Files.

- VOTOMS and Dougram came about because Gundam showed you could have a successful anime-original series. There was pressure to make more rather than just adapting manga to TV like before.

- The roller skates were chosen because they looked cool, not for budget reasons. ATs moved around on land, not space like Gundams, and he thought walking around would look silly (Takahashi started stomping around and making noises to emphasize this point). Originally they could only move in straight lines, but the staff suggested the 'slalom' idea and it seemed more fun.

- Takahashi defines real robots as shows where "the robots have a sense of reality, as do the characters and setting"

- He supports CG because robots are harder to draw than humans and you can't have as many on screen at once. The Longest Day/Saving Private Ryan style beach landing scene wouldn't have been possible with hand drawn animation for example.

- There's only about 7000 animators who live in Japan these days so most of it is outsourced. It sucks, but budget restrictions don't allow any better. And animators from Vietnam/China/Korea/The Phillipines are gradually improving.

- (according to the producer) Takahashi is a great director to work with because rather than "leading from the front" he tries to talk to everyone involved and listen to their suggestions.

- (according to the producer) A lot of the staff specifically avoided watching the original show because they needed fresh eyes working on Pailsen Files.

"Anon 2.0"[/quote posted:

Went to the Q&A today. Opened with a screening of Flag, then some trailers, after which Clements asked him some questions about his work. Here's what we learnt:

- FLAG took 10 years to get on the air, and was really Takahashi's baby. He was the only person involved from its conception until its airing.

-He became a director after seeing after seeing Astro Boy in 63'. He opted to become a director after learning how many cells animators have to draw (he began mimicking drawing madly)

-He worked under Osamu Tezuka who is "99% a good guy." at Mushi Productions. He said that while everyone who's met Tezuka likes him, he could be very scary as he was so focused on creating all the time. The only time he could sleep at Mushi Productions was at his desk, though occasionally he'd be woken up by Tezuka sleeping next to him. He explained to us that he did not mean by that that Tezuka fancied him.

-After leaving Mushi Productions in the late 70's he spent some time in Europe, and then had a brief foray in underground Japanese theatre (to everyones surprise, noticeably Jonathan Clements)

-He got involved in Japanese theatre after hearing about it from someone working with him on Wonder Seven. He had heard from his friend about cabaret shows, where the actors and actresses would paint themselves gold, and after the show scrub the gold off each other in a big tub. This sounded pretty good to Takahashi.

-In talking about Sunrise Takahashi explained that with Mushi Pro Tezuka was only interested in creating something new and interesting, but as a business it failed. With Sunrise they were only interested in the business side, and as such did well. He mentioned Sunrise's ability to market toys, ect.

-Gasaraki came out of Takahashi's need to find a new and exciting ways to power robots. He always felt Noh was a strange art due to the lack of movement in what is meant to be a dance, but heard that each step in Noh was meant to equal a 30 years. Gasaraki started out as the idea of a robot powered by those steps in Noh (this came off as a little vague to me as someone who hasn't seen Gasaraki, but really interesting)

-Clements asked if he considered himself rivals with Tomino. Ryouske Takahashi said that this was not the case, and as "if Tomino is a star then I'm a streetlamp". He went on to say that he got on well with Tomino as they both struggled with the same issues of being directors who did not have experience animating.

I believe it was then handed over to audience questions:

-Someone asked what Ryouske Takahashi's dream mecha project would be if he had unlimited funds. Takahashi replied that he actually didn't like robots that much, and that they were included for marketabillity's sake, but that he would like to do another longer series, something which would last "at least a year."

-I asked if he ever planned on returning to Dougram as he had done with Votoms, but he replied that he preferred to make something new, and had only returned to Votoms due to massive fan-demand.

-Someone asked about the integration of CG with hand-drawn animation, and if he saw CG gaining more popularity. Takahashi felt CG would gain more success globally, but the fanbase in Japan are still accustomed to handdrawn.

-A very scottish girl asked (the best) a question about Takahashi's involvement in The Moomins. He replied that he did it "to eat", but that living in both the city and the Japanese countryside he often feels now that a japanese based Moomins could be quite interesting.

-I might be missing out some key points, but that's what I remember. Takahashi was a really funny, jolly guy, and extremely approachable. Kind of like the anti-tomino. I got my ticket signed by him afterwards, and even though I didn't speak Japanese, he seemed genuinely happy to have a fanbase outside of Japan (the gold probably helped.)

Not really a huge fan of his myself having only seen VOTOMs by him, but I found it an interesting read. Osamu Tezuka sounds like a cool guy, and I find it hilarious that Takahashi isn't even that fond of robots and keeps putting them in for fan appeal.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I just love the idea of there being an "anti-Tomino"

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn Episode 12 out.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Possibly stupid question: Does G Gundam count as a "real robot" show or a Super Robot show? Because it sure as hell runs on BURNING SPIRIT and all that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's Super as gently caress, but the only place it really counts is in Super Robot Wars-- in which it's a bunch of Reals (weak armor, high maneuverability) that do Super damage with Super energy consumption and Super spells.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going through Z2 on psp right now and Virtue is pretty loving super with armor equal to the low end super robots but still rather high mobility and all attacks consuming energy. But I guess magical bullshit particles that made your mech neigh invulnerable is rather god drat super.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Going through Z2 on psp right now and Virtue is pretty loving super with armor equal to the low end super robots but still rather high mobility and all attacks consuming energy. But I guess magical bullshit particles that made your mech neigh invulnerable is rather god drat super.

I found that the exia becomes hilariously broken as the game goes on.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

It's Super as gently caress, but the only place it really counts is in Super Robot Wars-- in which it's a bunch of Reals (weak armor, high maneuverability) that do Super damage with Super energy consumption and Super spells.

the greatest units

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

In Z2, Kallen in the Guren Mk. II counts as a super.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silentman0 posted:

In Z2, Kallen in the Guren Mk. II counts as a super.

Well, she pretty much is a super robot pilot restricted to a real robot. I'm sure Asuka is the same if you don't consider EVA units as super robots (I sure don't).

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well, she pretty much is a super robot pilot restricted to a real robot. I'm sure Asuka is the same if you don't consider EVA units as super robots (I sure don't).

Well there is a bit of confusion with that actually. Apparently they're both, with having the size of super robots but using real type weapons like knifes and machine guns. The SRW games split it down the middle like with G gundam and classify them as supers but makes them M sized.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, they're like reverse Mobile Fighters. Super high HP, Super low maneuverability, Real weapons, Real energy consumption, Real spells.

I had to fight some people to convince them they were robots in the first place. "They're powered by being plugged into the wall, they explode when they die, and they're in loving Super Robot Wars"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Honestly, obsessing about the SRW definitions of the mecha is stupid. It's better off to use the definition Takashi himself used above.

quote:

- Takahashi defines real robots as shows where "the robots have a sense of reality, as do the characters and setting"

If the setting and mecha have a realistic basis, or are treated as realistic objects, it's "real robots". If the mecha are treated fantastically (be it in origin or presentation) they are supers.

I have no idea why this discussion pops up because it's really clear cut. G Gundam mecha are between real and super, but they are definitely more in the super camp given how they're treated and how they're used.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Nobody's obsessing, I just like the totally arbitrary idea that Supers are tougher but slower than Reals.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It comes up constantly so yes, there is some level of obsession since people keep arguing the stupid thing.

Also: Jeeg is a dodgy quick super. It's still a super since it is powered by a magical bell and has a robot man form its head.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Considering shows like Tekkaman Blade and Jushin Liger are showing up in SRW games, I really should just do away with arguing the semantics between a Super and a Real when it comes to shows that blur that line. I also want '80s Guyver in a game, that'd be sweet, if only for the blood fountains.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ooh ooh Transformers would be cool, put in the crazy japanese series stuff if you want, God Masters and poo poo

They'd be super robots with some even smaller than Jeeg :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anything is possible now since Iczer, especially since the non-mecha forms were generally more useful than the robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn Episode 13 and Da-Garn Episode 14 are out.

• Locked thread