Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ironic Twist posted:

It's Jones. She's Jones. (she's Eglamore)

But she looks nothing like a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Boxman posted:

This post is honestly refreshing. Good thing for first thing in the morning.

So who was that guy talking about? Now I actually want to know.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So who was that guy talking about? Now I actually want to know.

Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are the names of alternative costumes/getups for Cloud in Final Fantasy VII - I can kind of see it but I don't think Tom is a Final Fantasy kind of guy.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are the names of alternative costumes/getups for Cloud in Final Fantasy VII - I can kind of see it but I don't think Tom is a Final Fantasy kind of guy.

Oh okay, I never played any Final Fantasy game so I wouldn't know. I agree that it doesn't seem like the sort of reference you'd get in Gunnerkrigg, but then again what do I know?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I-
I don't know if I should correct this or not.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I-
I don't know if I should correct this or not.
It's like we're looking back to a more innocent time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
To be more specific, Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are two of the names referring to Cloud's crossdressing when he needs to get into Don Corneo's mansion, depending on which options you pick beforehand.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are types of cereal.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are types of cereal.

The off brands of Applejacks and Lucky Charms, respectively.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
God, I guess I have to be the rear end in a top hat.

Okay. Applejack and Twilight Sparkle are ponies from the new My Little Pony show. (I am allowed to know this because I have three children.) The outfits in the comic do not actually look like them, that part is a joke, although they do have similar hair colors.

People are talking about how it was a more innocent time because basically everyone on the Internet knows about this show and some uncomfortably large percentage of Internet People are obsessed with it, and because there was some drama on SA about it not that long ago.

Hey, how about that Gunnerkrigg comic? I'm interested in Parley's apparent inability to admit to her friends that she's dating Smitty!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hey, how about that Gunnerkrigg comic? I'm interested in Parley's apparent inability to admit to her friends that she's dating Smitty!
I think it's hilarious how Classic Teenager it is. I mean really, does anyone NOT recall a person who did this in high school or earlier?

Looks like her new "friends" are older kids and she's trying to be cool and fit in, hehe

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Macaluso posted:

To be more specific, Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle are two of the names referring to Cloud's crossdressing when he needs to get into Don Corneo's mansion, depending on which options you pick beforehand.

Oh NOW I remember. Love that game.

So, yeah, we've never really gotten into the age difference between Parley and Smitty and how it affects their relationship. Should be a fun time!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ironic Twist posted:

So, yeah, we've never really gotten into the age difference between Parley and Smitty and how it affects their relationship. Should be a fun time!

It's, uh, a year isn't it? I seem to remember Smitty being in Year 9 and Parley in Year 10. So...

Waffnuffly posted:

Looks like her new "friends" are older kids and she's trying to be cool and fit in, hehe

...this.

(the whole 'hanging out with the kids' bit I took to be referring to Kat and Annie v:shobon:v)

vvv maybe they're REBELS

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So do Parley's year and up not have to wear uniforms? Or are they old enough to have graduated (and stuck around for some reason) and Parley's just not wearing one now...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's often a thing that people in the final term (or final two terms) of UK secondary school don't have to wear uniform, I think.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Once you get to sixth form in a lot of UK schools (and the one I went to) you don't wear a uniform anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Out of curiosity, why is that exactly? Seems pretty odd that just because it's the last year the students can do away with the uniforms.

vvvv thanks, guys. That was enlightening.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 26, 2011

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Saoshyant posted:

Out of curiosity, why is that exactly? Seems pretty odd that just because it's the last year the students can do away with the uniforms.

In terms of sixth form (which is actually the last two years) its because, at least for the moment, it is because it is post compulsory education you don't HAVE to do your A levels, though your pretty much hosed with out them. Though in my case sixth formers still had to wear shirt and tie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I guess it's to reward the new maturity you're suppose to have acquired (haha) by that stage, and prepare the people who aren't going on to university for the big wide world.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
Because sixth form is the first year of non-compulsory education. Prior to that, children have to be in school. As students go to sixth form out of choice rather than government mandate, a lot of schools begin to treat sixth form students a little more like adults. This comes with greater responsibilities, namely being responsible for your own education and your own gently caress-ups now that The System is no longer obligated to keep your sorry rear end in school. It also comes with more freedoms. Like, no more school uniform... forever!

Only the most stuck-up private institutions make students wear uniforms in sixth form.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

A lot of schools treat the final year/two years as preparation for college. Classes offer more critique as opposed to direct answers, fewer teaching hours, and a lot more self-directed study. There's also an argument that it helps those who have stuck around to bond as a year group and to take more initiative to organise their work/social lives around school. My (state) high school still had compulsory uniforms for the upper years but they were differentiated in various ways, and the final year students were encouraged to buy and wear formal school blazers. Point being, if you all dress the same and visibly differently from the rest of the school, you have way more shared identity than the plain-uniformed masses.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm stuck between "Yay! Interesting new character designs with nice hair!" and "Adolescent peer-pressure getting in the way of twue-luv! :argh:"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mumblyfish posted:

Like, no more school uniform... forever!

I burned mine. :ssj:

Seconding that this is so typical teenage bullshit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
In defense of Parley and random characters whom I have no attachment to, being super enthusiastic about hanging around a bunch of teens several years your junior would be kind of weird.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

LashLightning posted:

I'm stuck between "Yay! Interesting new character designs with nice hair!" and "Adolescent peer-pressure getting in the way of twue-luv! :argh:"

This comic is ridiculously good at having interesting-yet-natural hairstyles on all its characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tea-san posted:

Once you get to sixth form in a lot of UK schools (and the one I went to) you don't wear a uniform anymore.

Damnit, how did Australia inherit the UK's predilection for dressing their kids up in irritating and absurd uniforms, but not this part? :argh: I had to wear that tie until the very end.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Damnit, how did Australia inherit the UK's predilection for dressing their kids up in irritating and absurd uniforms, but not this part? :argh: I had to wear that tie until the very end.

It's the commonwealth seesaw. Ain't nobody has a uniform in Canada unless you're in Catholic school.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tennis jerks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Australians are extra rowdy, so they need more discipline.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

qa6 posted:

This comic is ridiculously good at having interesting-yet-natural hairstyles on all its characters.

There's no way Miss Jazz Hands and Wildberry Pop-tart Hair wasn't a fairy at some point.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The short-haired girl has the bismuth alchemical symbol on her jacket (I think that's it). Does that just denote the school (born from the seed bismuth and all that)? I really need to read through the archives as a whole again so I can pick back up on this stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think it's pretty amazing how much can be inferred about Parley's friends just from this one page. They're in a total of three panels (one of which is just the back of their heads) with two lines of dialogue each, but the character design and body language just speak volumes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Because Tom is very, very good at what he does.
He probably wears awesome sunglasses while drawing each page. Just to contain the cool.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Madrox posted:

The short-haired girl has the bismuth alchemical symbol on her jacket (I think that's it). Does that just denote the school (born from the seed bismuth and all that)? I really need to read through the archives as a whole again so I can pick back up on this stuff.

Yeah, it's the general sign of the court. I imagine it's a school jacket of some kind, probably related to her being in the school's tennis club.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ironic Twist posted:

There's no way Miss Jazz Hands and Wildberry Pop-tart Hair wasn't a fairy at some point.

No dots. She even has her shoulders exposed, which I half-think was a deliberate act on Tom's part to deflate that theory.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

This is a complete tangent from the current comic, but I would love to see Tom do more Portal fan art. I just realised looking at his simplified background figures that his style is already an ideal take on the schematic/colour look of the Ratman's murals. Plus, you know, he's kind of an authority on parkour-bots.

Plus I would just like to see him draw a lot of things all the time.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well the regional fairies lose their shoulder dots when they get human bodies anyway, so Red and Blue don't have any either. They have some left over traits, like some markings (as Blue has on her face) and sometimes hair colour, but not their shoulder dots.

The purple haired girl wasn't a fairy, but sometimes the fully human kids get inspired to dye their hair since it's not uncommon to see other students with weird hair colours.

Totally not required comic information, by the way. If I get the chance to do my compilation of short stories it'd be full of this kind of info though.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Tom, have you considered just taking some time off from Gunnerkrigg to work on them? If you don't want to have zero content going up, would a City-Face-style semi-break give you enough time? (Not necessarily City Face, just something on that level of effort.)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom, have you considered just taking some time off from Gunnerkrigg to work on them? If you don't want to have zero content going up, would a City-Face-style semi-break give you enough time? (Not necessarily City Face, just something on that level of effort.)

Don't listen to this man. Keep doing Gunnerkrigg. Also, sell your oil paintings on ebay, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Please do, Tom. Please make all the things you ever want.