Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Import from another region and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Scyron posted:

Snagged my platinum during the PBWT.

I am at lost as to what I should do, delete my save, sell my game, or keep it as is and never touch it again as a trophy to hardwork and dedication.

Make a new character and play it in a completely different way.

Hell, try a SL1 Run, that's what I did after I got plat. I played as Ostrava after that character as well. :3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you sell Demon's Souls, what did it ever do to you?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
keep it. I finished it in 2009 and thought I'd never get back to it, platted it a few months ago and know better now. I'm sure I'll play it again in a few years.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Finally got my Pure Bladestone after quite a while of farming. I would've seen if anyone would trade one, but I don't think anyone's in my level range (I'm level 358). Still, I'm going to dupe this fucker out of spite.

Now just to look for pure Darkmoonstone and pure Moonlightstone. Though, thankfully, I know where to get those and from what I understand, they're at least somewhat more forgiving than pure Bladestone is.

E: Found a pure Darkmoonstone! Now I just need to head on over to 3-2 and pray that lizard still respawns on this file.
E2: Done with pures. Thank god.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 28, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Got your plat yet shclap?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Finally got around to playing this last night. I'm really, really terrible. I read a very brief beginners' guide for a little bit of guidance. Eventually I settled on a thief, went through the tutorial area, made it to the nexus, and started 1-1. After dying a half dozen times on the way to get the cling ring, I decided to put it down. I'm guessing this is a standard newbie experience with this game--are there any general tips anyone can give me regarding combat? Or is it pretty normal to die at the beginning like this while you're figuring out combat? I'm fine fighting the zombie guys 1-on-1, but groups of them give me a lot of trouble. One will always jump in from where I'm not expecting it. I'm guessing that luring them into fighting 1-on-1 is a big part of it?

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Finally got around to playing this last night. I'm really, really terrible. I read a very brief beginners' guide for a little bit of guidance. Eventually I settled on a thief, went through the tutorial area, made it to the nexus, and started 1-1. After dying a half dozen times on the way to get the cling ring, I decided to put it down. I'm guessing this is a standard newbie experience with this game--are there any general tips anyone can give me regarding combat? Or is it pretty normal to die at the beginning like this while you're figuring out combat? I'm fine fighting the zombie guys 1-on-1, but groups of them give me a lot of trouble. One will always jump in from where I'm not expecting it. I'm guessing that luring them into fighting 1-on-1 is a big part of it?

Thief is one of the hardest classes to start with. Try starting with a knight, or a temple knight. The latter has an awesome weapon if you two-hand it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Sumadartson posted:

Thief is one of the hardest classes to start with. Try starting with a knight, or a temple knight. The latter has an awesome weapon if you two-hand it.

The guide I read said Soldier or Thief are the two easiest classes for beginners--maybe it's just a lovely guide?

Is Royal a good class to start with? It looks like Royal starts with a good ranged spell and an item that regenerates magic.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Knight starts with a good shield, when you are getting the hang of the game having a good shield is a huge deal.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I picked up the game a couple of weeks ago and had the same humbling, soul-crushing experience. You will get better; after I put it down for a few days and came back I was able to get through 1-1. I'm playing as a wanderer for the extra dexterity and drops. Just get murdered until you want to kill everything IRL within a 50 yard radius, then put it down and come back later.

Also you're playing at Pure Black due to a server event, so it's harder than normal.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The guide I read said Soldier or Thief are the two easiest classes for beginners--maybe it's just a lovely guide?

Is Royal a good class to start with? It looks like Royal starts with a good ranged spell and an item that regenerates magic.

Royal is arguably the easiest class to start with, simply for the magic spam.

Don't do this if you don't want to cheese your way through the game, since that is usually what happens.

Knight is a good solid class to start with, it has excellent gear to start with. Just remember that classes only affect the beginning of the game, after a few levels you can be whatever you want to be since everything is stat based.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it another shot tonight with Knight, and I won't give up until I get that drat ring.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Solider is the best for beginners because he comes with a spear. Royal is the strongest but can be cheesy. Knight is limited but will learn you on how you'll probably eventually play the game anyway. Temple Knight's weapon is the best starting weapon but is only really good if you use it with two hands and for now you need your shield.

Beginners die in Demon's Souls by rushing in and not using their shield. Once you get past that you will die because you didn't manage your stamina well (you can't burn it down to nothing on a series of attacks that won't kill your foe and then try to block, blocking needs stamina too). From there on there are spots you need to learn to get past where reliance on your shield won't cut it and you'll need to roll.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

Got your plat yet shclap?

Just need to pick up a few more miracles and spells and I'll have my platinum trophy. And done, now I can get to work getting Platinum in Dark Souls.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 28, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Starting up Demon's Souls again while I take a break from some of Dark Souls' late-game bullshit.

Right now I'm at 3-1, which is going to be fuuuun since I'm using iron knuckles. Though uppercutting Mindflayers is pretty cathartic.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

I just finished 1-1, spoked to the Monumental, leveled up, and now I'm too paranoid of dying and going back to soul form to leave the Nexus. Will the worlds no longer being pure black after tonight make a big diference? I might just wait until tommorow. I like being alive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

I just finished 1-1, spoked to the Monumental, leveled up, and now I'm too paranoid of dying and going back to soul form to leave the Nexus. Will the worlds no longer being pure black after tonight make a big diference? I might just wait until tommorow. I like being alive.

Pure black makes everything tougher and spawns extra tough variations of enemies. These enemies do however, spawn extra souls and 100% drop their item so it can be worth it to farm them. Just be careful, obviously.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

There are several advantages to being in soul form, actually. First and foremost, you can't be invaded by another player while in soul form, you do more damage in soul form than in body form if your character tendency (not world tendency) is white, and you're not as easy to detect. You can also lay down your blue eye stone to help other people with bosses so you can get the hang of them yourself or invade other people as a black phantom (once you get the black eye stone) to try your hand at pvp.

Of course, being in body form means you have an extra ring slot to do with as you like, unless you don't mind taking a little bit of an extra risk and don't wear the cling ring. Consider investing in endurance so that you can roll around quickly with heavier gear. The next chance you get, you should go to 3-1 (Tower of Latria) and get yourself some black leather armor.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

By the way, if anyone in the early 30's range and has some faintstone shards they'd be up to trading, I'd be willing to trade some higher grade materials for them. Really don't want to stroll through the Valley of Defilement without getting my iron knuckle blessed.

I'll try to list what I have the next time I hop on.

Edit: Not much, but I have spiderstone chunks and a piece of pure spiderstone that I don't need, a clearstone chunk, and some assorted shards I don't need.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 1, 2011

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

There are several advantages to being in soul form, actually. First and foremost, you can't be invaded by another player while in soul form, you do more damage in soul form than in body form if your character tendency (not world tendency) is white, and you're not as easy to detect. You can also lay down your blue eye stone to help other people with bosses so you can get the hang of them yourself or invade other people as a black phantom (once you get the black eye stone) to try your hand at pvp.

Of course, being in body form means you have an extra ring slot to do with as you like, unless you don't mind taking a little bit of an extra risk and don't wear the cling ring. Consider investing in endurance so that you can roll around quickly with heavier gear. The next chance you get, you should go to 3-1 (Tower of Latria) and get yourself some black leather armor.

Well, I got myself killed while farming 1-1 like an idiot so that quandary is over. As for armor I'm a knight so I figured I'm covered there. I think some guy in this thread said he stayed with the starting set until level 60.

What the verdict on miracles versus magic? Evey guide I read says that strong magic equals easy mode but another poster mentioned that he wished he emphasized faith/miracles more. I went and bought Heal without knowing I needed a Talisman of God. I then read you could pick one up in 4-1 only to find you get instakilled by a super samurai guy within 10 seconds of entering the level. This s quite a game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Well, I got myself killed while farming 1-1 like an idiot so that quandary is over. As for armor I'm a knight so I figured I'm covered there. I think some guy in this thread said he stayed with the starting set until level 60.

What the verdict on miracles versus magic? Evey guide I read says that strong magic equals easy mode but another poster mentioned that he wished he emphasized faith/miracles more. I went and bought Heal without knowing I needed a Talisman of God. I then read you could pick one up in 4-1 only to find you get instakilled by a super samurai guy within 10 seconds of entering the level. This s quite a game.

Faith builds are pretty decent for PvP, especially with the Large Sword of Moonlight, it ignores shields.

As for Satsuki (the Samurai BP) He's only there during Pure Black World Tendency, and since Halloween is over, he should be gone now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Smelly posted:

Faith builds are pretty decent for PvP, especially with the Large Sword of Moonlight, it ignores shields.

As for Satsuki (the Samurai BP) He's only there during Pure Black World Tendency, and since Halloween is over, he should be gone now.

Large Sword of Moonlight will get get you destroyed by any competent PvPer, but it's fun against people who've never seen it before :3:.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I think I may have accidentally blown up Patches :ohdear: Those fire armadillo things suck.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

I always emphasized magic over miracles, although miracles are pretty useful too.

If you can get your Magic stat high enough, and can give the Old Monk's soul from 3-3 to Sage Freke, who you rescue in 3-1, you can get a spell that will pretty much carry you as long as you have MP. Of course, there's also the ever-handy Soul Arrow/Ray spells and Poison/Death Cloud. Also, you get more spell slots than you do miracle slots (6 spell slots, 4 miracle slots).

Of course, on the Miracle end you get stuff like Evacuate and Second Chance (which is probably the most useful miracle in the game).

Really what I'm getting at here is that it wouldn't hurt to go for both of them eventually.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

I always emphasized magic over miracles, although miracles are pretty useful too.

If you can get your Magic stat high enough, and can give the Old Monk's soul from 3-3 to Sage Freke, who you rescue in 3-1, you can get a spell that will pretty much carry you as long as you have MP. Of course, there's also the ever-handy Soul Arrow/Ray spells and Poison/Death Cloud. Also, you get more spell slots than you do miracle slots (6 spell slots, 4 miracle slots).

Of course, on the Miracle end you get stuff like Evacuate and Second Chance (which is probably the most useful miracle in the game).

Really what I'm getting at here is that it wouldn't hurt to go for both of them eventually.

The good thing about miracles is that the most useful ones work irrespective of your "miracle power" which is determined by Faith, so all you need are the necessary slots for them and you're golden. With magic you're going to want to have a decent Magic stat to go along with your spells for the most part, so it's not as easy to dip your foot into.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Read posted:

The good thing about miracles is that the most useful ones work irrespective of your "miracle power" which is determined by Faith, so all you need are the necessary slots for them and you're golden. With magic you're going to want to have a decent Magic stat to go along with your spells for the most part, so it's not as easy to dip your foot into.

Evacuate, for example, is a miracle that every single character ever should have. It's indispensable, in my opinion.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chachi posted:

Evacuate, for example, is a miracle that every single character ever should have. It's indispensable, in my opinion.

I almost never used it on my later characters because I knew exactly what I was doing 99% of the time but for my first six or ten characters it was a huge help. Especially for farming.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sheep-Goats posted:

I almost never used it on my later characters because I knew exactly what I was doing 99% of the time but for my first six or ten characters it was a huge help. Especially for farming.

Is it bad that I've had a max of maybe 5 characters?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Smelly posted:

Is it bad that I've had a max of maybe 5 characters?

No it just means you're not an OCD min maxer like I am.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sheep-Goats posted:

No it just means you're not an OCD min maxer like I am.

Nope, just enough to fast roll with the Tower Shield on my first character, and that was about it.

I really need to try a Dex build though. I just couldn't get into the Katanas for some reason.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Chachi posted:

It's good for farming, but just playing the game you never really need to get out of a level, and if you really do you still have a Shard of Archstone.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a Short Spear all the way to +8, is it worth it to start upgrading a Winged Spear at this point, or should I stick with the Short?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toebone posted:

I've got a Short Spear all the way to +8, is it worth it to start upgrading a Winged Spear at this point, or should I stick with the Short?

Uhh, depends on what you're planning to do with the spear. IMO the way to go with spears is usually Winged Spear to +6 then make it a Moon Winged Spear +5.

You could also take your Short Spear to +10 (save one chunk for taking the Winged Spear to +6 so you can try the moon route) and put some fire goo on there or buff it with curse/light weapon.

The two spears don't vary much in damage and have the same attack animations but the winged spear has much better reach.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
While I wait for the Dark Souls patch to come out, I'm going to play through Demon's again. I even made a new PSN account and everything, mainly because my other profile is filled with PvP characters I don't want to delete. How great is it that there's no character limit in Dark souls?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Volitaire posted:

While I wait for the Dark Souls patch to come out, I'm going to play through Demon's again. I even made a new PSN account and everything, mainly because my other profile is filled with PvP characters I don't want to delete. How great is it that there's no character limit in Dark souls?

Pretty sure there's a four character limit in Dark Souls unless you switch accounts.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Nah, there isn't. Thebrett has like a dozen, on the same account.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Today was a productive day. I just got to NG+ on my character, having ran through the game with ridiculous fisticuffs build.

And I punched out Garl Vinland. That was satisfying.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tell me you riposte'd him when he was one-handing Bramd. That battle is not complete unless you repel and counterattack against a giant loving whatever that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Sadly not. I just punched him in the face over and over again for 19 damage every time he lodged the thing into the ground.

• Locked thread