Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

flyboi posted:

I am pretty sure I have the GM of iTunes 10.5 because software update claims it's up to date. Can someone with retail iTunes 10.5 check? I'm running 10.5b132

Build 141 is release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

flyboi posted:

INTERNET RECOVERY ALL THE 2011S!!!! It also showed the same kind of deal on my 2011 MBP. Also since it says "early 2011" I wonder if they're bumping up the iMacs too :ohdear:

asd;klregj

Apple don't do this to me. Making it harder and harder to know whether to delay getting an iMac.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sang- posted:

asd;klregj

Apple don't do this to me. Making it harder and harder to know whether to delay getting an iMac.

Late 2011 iMac is most likely the EDU only iMac from August: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP634

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Molten Llama posted:

Build 141 is release.

Thanks you guys for checking. Just installed retail and the message went away.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why does it take a few minutes for my WD external 160GB USB HD to be recognized by my iMac with Snow Leopard? It shows up in Disk Utility, but it's grayed out and says 'not mounted'

I'm assuming it's doing some sort of consistency check?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What's it formatted as? I usually find MBR drives take way longer to mount than GUID or APM formatted drives. Either a consistency check or a Spotlight scan..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
...but Spotlight won't be doing anything if it's not mounted yet to begin with.

Tried it with other computers or checked if the console has anything useful?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bob Morales posted:

Why does it take a few minutes for my WD external 160GB USB HD to be recognized by my iMac with Snow Leopard? It shows up in Disk Utility, but it's grayed out and says 'not mounted'

I'm assuming it's doing some sort of consistency check?

Some of those externals with the special CD partition for the extra crapware they foist on you makes it take forever to mount the disk. See if WD provides a tool to reformat the disk to blank. I had this issue a while back and it solved the problem, but I'm not sure if it was a WD disk.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a quick question regarding applecare activation. I bought applecare with my 13" MBP in january of 2010, but never activated it. I needed to pay some bills, realized it was still sitting on the shelf unopened, and sold it on craigslist. This morning I got a call from the buyer saying he wasselling being asked for proof of purchase when trying to activate it. Since this was my only major Apple purchase, and since I didn't activate it, I have no idea how the process works. I told him I'd look into it and I still have all my paperwork from buying it. I know people sell applecare on ebay etc., all the time so it seems to me they'd want proof of purchase of the hardware more than the applecare.

Anyways, I told him be might want to go to the Apple Store, but I figured I'd check in here to see what you folks say.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chimz posted:

Some of those externals with the special CD partition for the extra crapware they foist on you makes it take forever to mount the disk. See if WD provides a tool to reformat the disk to blank. I had this issue a while back and it solved the problem, but I'm not sure if it was a WD disk.

It's an older one and doesn't have that, but usually that's in the controller ROM isn't it?

Binary Badger posted:

What's it formatted as? I usually find MBR drives take way longer to mount than GUID or APM formatted drives. Either a consistency check or a Spotlight scan..

GUID. Seems to be okay today and showed right up. Maybe I forgot to eject it last time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's asking the buyer for proof of purchase of his laptop, not the Applecare.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

It's asking the buyer for proof of purchase of his laptop, not the Applecare.

That's what I figured, thanks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

highme posted:

I have a quick question regarding applecare activation. I bought applecare with my 13" MBP in january of 2010, but never activated it. I needed to pay some bills, realized it was still sitting on the shelf unopened, and sold it on craigslist. This morning I got a call from the buyer saying he wasselling being asked for proof of purchase when trying to activate it.

Bought it with where? If you bought it at the Apple Online Store, or possibly (probably) Apple Retail, you were sold the auto enroll version of AppleCare, in which case it's already activated and tied to your MBP.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Going to be honest, I'm starting to hate how loving lovely this magsafe power cord is. Is this really going to set me back 80 dollars? I think it hasn't even been five months since I last replaced this horrible thing.
Yes, the drat MagSafe is pretty much a disposable item, I'm on my sixth one by now, I think. Five months sounds about right. Just get the cheapest one you can find on eBay, it should be like 30 dollars. No point spending money on getting it from Apple, they all break the same anyway.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 28, 2011

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Aardark posted:

Yes, the drat MagSafe is pretty much a disposable item, I'm on my sixth one by now, I think. Five months sounds about right. Just get the cheapest one you can find on eBay, it should be like 30 dollars. No point spending money on getting it from Apple, they all break the same anyway.

I'm still on my original MagSafe on my late 2007 Macbook Pro, so I don't understand this. It still charges just fine and the only negative effect I've seen is that it is now much less shiny and white.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I suppose those of you who haven't had problems are much more careful with it, don't move your computer around a lot, or are simply lucky, but the MagSafe being a crappy product is not exactly a minority opinion. Check out some reviews: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC461LL/A

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
My 2008 Macbook is starting to make a periodic click and verifying the disk brings up a ton of errors. I'm going to verify it again from a Leopard disk but I'm guessing this HDD is on its last legs. Is there any particular recommendation for a good replacement hard drive? I'm thinking of going 500GB and getting this Samsung Spinpoint http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152236 but if there's a better option, even at 320GB I'm all ears. I don't really want to sink a ton of money into this so I'm not interested in getting a SSD at the moment.

Edit: I realize this isn't the best time to be buying but this is my main computer and I use it for work.

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 28, 2011

highme
May 25, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

Bought it with where? If you bought it at the Apple Online Store, or possibly (probably) Apple Retail, you were sold the auto enroll version of AppleCare, in which case it's already activated and tied to your MBP.

I bought it from the bookstore at the school I was attending.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Put in your computer serial number and check your warranty status

highme
May 25, 2001

I'll have to do so when I get home from work.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
For some reason my MBA no longer automatically joins my wireless network. It's iat the top of the list in my preferred networks, but is there some other setting I am missing that might affect this?

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Aardark posted:

I suppose those of you who haven't had problems are much more careful with it, don't move your computer around a lot, or are simply lucky, but the MagSafe being a crappy product is not exactly a minority opinion. Check out some reviews: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC461LL/A

A lot of people only review products when they fail. I would never look at a MagSafe adapter unless mine had broken, so I'll give it five stars now because I didn't before. And mine goes with me everywhere. I packed and unpacked it 3-4 times per day until about a year ago, and now I'm down to just once or twice daily for school and work. I'm not disagreeing that yours haven't been sturdy enough, I am honestly in disbelief because mine has been so good.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Rubiks Pubes posted:

For some reason my MBA no longer automatically joins my wireless network. It's iat the top of the list in my preferred networks, but is there some other setting I am missing that might affect this?

Are you sure you didn't change anything on your wireless network? Channel? Security? Try deleting the network and re-join it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just re-arranged my Dropbox folders and ended up shredding about 2000 objects on both my new MBA and my 2009 iMac. The MBA finished the task about 5 minutes ago, the iMac is still busying deleting poo poo. The power of the SSD. Amazing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Aardark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5szE3XHb8

Not that hard to not break them. I've never had an issue and I travel frequently.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I got the Magsafe replaced by a Genius, so I don't feel quite as bitchy about it anymore. I take my MBP to and from place to place almost every day and almost always wrap it up properly, but the segment of wire closest to the Macbook frays the same and it never takes more than a year. But as long as they keep giving me free replacements with minimal hassle I can't really complain too hard about it.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

flyboi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5szE3XHb8

Not that hard to not break them. I've never had an issue and I travel frequently.
I don't really have to coil it often, I mostly just move the computer around within my room. The same as above, it's the part closest to the MacBook that usually breaks.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Banana posted:

I'm all ears. I don't really want to sink a ton of money into this so I'm not interested in getting a SSD at the moment.

It is seriously like buying a new computer. I just bought my second Crucial M4 128GB and put it in a used 2007 MacBook. It sings on Lion. I think it was $189 on Amazon. Worth every penny.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

kuskus posted:

It is seriously like buying a new computer. I just bought my second Crucial M4 128GB and put it in a used 2007 MacBook. It sings on Lion. I think it was $189 on Amazon. Worth every penny.

Yeah, and even the cheap 60-96gb ones are well worth it. Another $20 for an optibay clone, and you've done the best $100 upgrade ever.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Factory Factory posted:

Believe it or not, I had an HDMI cable give my Windows PC huge weird errors and even a bluescreen after I accidentally crimped it one day moving my desk. Swapped the cable and everything went back to absolutely fine.

Well, I got another kernel panic while using the different hdmi cable. As an added bonus, I had my optical audio cable disconnected at the time, and there was no video/audio playing (since this Mac is my media center, every lockup so far has - coincidentally - been while watching video). I got the usual Bluetooth reconnection issue just before the panic, so at that point I was 100% sure it was he Bluetooth card, but I was still unable to reproduce it on demand.

I ended up stumbling over the "solution" to proving there was a problem completely by accident. I moved the mini to my room to more easily gently caress around with it, and attempted to connect to my wifi (it's normally wired at the tv). Lo and behold, it fails to connect. I feel totally stupid to not have tested this before, because Bluetooth and wifi are on the same card in the mini; how did it never occur to me to test wifi?? (Of course, you could say the same about the loving techs whose job it was to fix this problem in the first place.)

I schlepped the thing back down to the store today, now that I've got reproducible, unambiguous proof of a problem, and they actually took it in for repair this time. I pray this is the last time...

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Aardark posted:

I don't really have to coil it often, I mostly just move the computer around within my room. The same as above, it's the part closest to the MacBook that usually breaks.

I've broken one in the entire time I've had them, and that's from the very first Intel MacBook. Mine goes to gigs and gets a fair bit of abuse, so god knows how you're being that heavy handed. I've seen a fair few frayed or damaged at that same point but again, I don't think it's really a fundamental design flaw.

Also, I've seen one of those same people kill their logic board and RAM by using a knockoff power adapter that gave an irregular voltage and shot sparks eventually.

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

A lot of people only review products when they fail. I would never look at a MagSafe adapter unless mine had broken, so I'll give it five stars now because I didn't before. And mine goes with me everywhere. I packed and unpacked it 3-4 times per day until about a year ago, and now I'm down to just once or twice daily for school and work. I'm not disagreeing that yours haven't been sturdy enough, I am honestly in disbelief because mine has been so good.

This too, it's the reviews for a replacement charger so people are most likely to be looking at it once they've already managed to break one. Hardly an unbiased cross section of Apple users.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

kuskus posted:

I know but I'm actually going to be buying a new computer when they refresh the unibodies and I'll get a big SSD in that. Right now I need the space (and I can't give up my DVD drive) so a $70 hard drive is perfect for me. Plus it beats out the Hitachi I have now pretty handily.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't the Ivy Bridge refreshed like 8 months away? Having an SSD for 8 months is pretty sweet.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

kuskus posted:

I am thinking about doing the same thing, with the same ssd. How do you like the Crucial M4? I heard that the garbage collection on the M4 is terrible, and you cannot reliably enable trim in Lion on these ssd's.

Have you experienced any degradation in performance with this particular ssd?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm surprised to hear the magsafes are considered so lovely, its one of my favorite things about the MBA (that and sweet, sweet SSD). I'm in the camp of people that rarely take their laptop out of the house though, so I'm sure that works in my favor.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I don't think the concept is lovely; as long as it works, it's great. The screen of my previous laptop was smashed by a friend tripping on the cable, so I do appreciate it. They just really need to do something about the cord fraying so easily.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The old magsafes are pretty flimsy, but the new ones are pretty beefy on the end and plus apple doesn't bat an eye if you ask to have your frayed one replaced. They aren't perfect, but it doesn't look like anyone has done better.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone tried running Battlefield 3 on the GeForce 320m, out of curiosity?

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

I have. Expect 20-30 fps at 720x480 on lowest settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LegitMaan posted:

I have. Expect 20-30 fps at 720x480 on lowest settings.

Hahah, man, I was thinking about trying to throw BF3 on my 2010 MBP, I guess I won't even bother. I don't game on it often, and when I do it's usually something light like Frozen Synapse or SpaceChem or something.