Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

a shameful boehner posted:

Is the BF3 multi still a buggy piece of poo poo? I hear most of the problems from the beta have been resolved except for little things like, yknow, squads. Or rubberbanding.

Any impressions?

I've been too consumed with Dark Souls. :unsmigghh:

PS3 version is having far less trouble than the XBox one. I've been playing the life out of it since Tuesday afternoon and have been disconnected probably twice. There's a minimal amount of rubber banding that usually comes up during peak hours but it happens so infrequently that when it does happen that it isn't much of a problem, though it can be annoying. I don't have any trouble getting all of my friends on the same squad and if something does go wrong there's a switch team and choose squad option. I haven't fallen through the ground or had any weird stuff like that happen at all. Game is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Iskanderson posted:

So what are some games with local co-op or vs. that someone who has no real skill with video games will enjoy? Other than games like Scott Pilgrim or Castle Crashers, I mean. I've heard good things about Up and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Voting Castlevania and Scott Pilgrim. SP is a lot of fun with your buddies just dicking around beating stuff up in a comical way. Bonus points if you're intoxicated and yelling HEY YOU rear end in a top hat STOP THROWING ME ACROSS THE ROOM

[it's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat]

And honestly? Portal 2. It's not on PSN if that's a dealbreaker, but I've been having a lot of fun co-oping it with the wife. She's not a real video game person, but she took to it REALLY quickly and gently caress she's smarter than me at figuring that stuff out. It's a nice low pressure game [as opposed to action FPSs like CoD or BF3] that's really mentally stimulating, it's fun to work together in co-op, and pretty funny with the narrator constantly loving with you. Eventually Glados's bullying had the wife yelling "Oh whatever shut up!" :D

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Apparently the single-player unlockables from UC1 and UC2, like Doughnut Drake, weapon selection, infinite ammo cheats, slow motion/zero grav, and the sepia filter have all been removed for UC3. So has the cutscene viewer that UC2 had.

What the gently caress, Naughty Dog? Treasures are now apparently just a way to get Trophies and not a way to unlock actual in-game benefits. And this'll take away a lot of the replay value of the single-player mode.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Where did that info come from? If it's true then that's awful, instead of buying it I'll get it from Gamefly and send it back after beating it once.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where did that info come from? If it's true then that's awful, instead of buying it I'll get it from Gamefly and send it back after beating it once.

It's been confirmed by a bunch of people who've played the game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Couldn't this theoretcially be some thing that's only for prerelease review copies? Where's Sam when you need him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Couldn't this theoretcially be some thing that's only for prerelease review copies? Where's Sam when you need him?

That is extremely unlikely. It is in nobody's interest to release a review copy of the game missing content. I've had review copies that include DLC just to assure that the game looks as content packed as possible.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yakuza 4 question: when I use a HEAT action on someone when I have a weapon, there's often a QTE that I keep missing. Do I just need to hammer on the button or what?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pixeljunk Sidescroller is extremely underwhelming. It's like they took all the comments about how shooter "wasn't really a shooter" personally and wanted to prove they could make a traditional shooter with the same engine. So what we have is a very bare bones game that's obviously using the assets of another game but throwing a graphics filter over the whole thing that makes it all look nearly not nearly as good. Even the music seems like it was just outtakes from Shooter rather than specifically created for the this game. It feels more like an unlockable bonus feature in Shooter than a stand alone game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpacePig posted:

There are people from the AMC events that have actual retail discs already.

And the cynical view on this is they plan to monetize (or at least include) this poo poo in DLC packs.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Feenix posted:

There are people from the AMC events that have actual retail discs already.

And the cynical view on this is they plan to monetize (or at least include) this poo poo in DLC packs.

Even the cutscene viewer? It seems really strange that they'd remove that. A lot of people I know who don't play games have used that to see the story.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pyruvate posted:

Yakuza 4 question: when I use a HEAT action on someone when I have a weapon, there's often a QTE that I keep missing. Do I just need to hammer on the button or what?

No, in fact I want to say hitting it at the wrong time triggers an automatic miss [even if it's the right button, like if you hammer it early]. I could be wrong, been a while since I finished 4...

I generally hate QTEs with a passion but didn't mind Yakuza 3 and 4s so much. They just take practice, some are pretty tricky until you've done them a lot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

If that's true I'm glad I skipped preordering the game. The replay value of those games are low enough even with all those things!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Renoistic posted:

If that's true I'm glad I skipped preordering the game. The replay value of those games are low enough even with all those things!

It does have multiplayer.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

axleblaze posted:

Pixeljunk Sidescroller is extremely underwhelming. It's like they took all the comments about how shooter "wasn't really a shooter" personally and wanted to prove they could make a traditional shooter with the same engine. So what we have is a very bare bones game that's obviously using the assets of another game but throwing a graphics filter over the whole thing that makes it all look nearly not nearly as good. Even the music seems like it was just outtakes from Shooter rather than specifically created for the this game. It feels more like an unlockable bonus feature in Shooter than a stand alone game.
Just to add my thoughts, I enjoyed my first playthrough despite its short length. Unfortunately the scoring system is extremely basic compared to other shooters so I can't imagine anyone really trying to score attack this seriously.

Hard mode has a few problems. Firstly the inverted colour scheme is horrendous to look at. More importantly the difficulty curve is all over the place, there are a handful of extremely frustrating checkpoints in the early levels but all the bosses are piss-easy.

Brutal mode is even worse. It's honestly pretty dull for a bullet-hell shooter and with a relatively large hurtbox compared to most games in that genre it's no fun at all. Beat 1-1 just to finish off the trophies and then switched it off never to play again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I might cancel my UC3 pre-order at this point. I didn't buy either of the others brand new, so I don't think I'll necessarily miss this one that badly.

Lemming_JRS
Nov 22, 2007

from Arne Meyer (ND community guy) on a different forum:

Arne Meyer posted:

Those game modifying unlockables kept breaking the game no matter what we tried to make it all stable. We have been pushing the engine really hard this time around, and some sequences - cruise ship comes to mind - were especially challenging.

That doesn't explain the missing weapon select cheats and character changes...

It was all part of the same "system" in a way. Being able to change a lot of things around in a way that wasn't part of the main game started to pile up bugs and break the game, it wasn't just a physics thing or mirrorworld.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That DLC better be free then. Which I highly doubt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shindragon posted:

That DLC better be free then. Which I highly doubt.

It isn't. It's $45 worth of the stuff.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Lemming_JRS posted:

from Arne Meyer (ND community guy) on a different forum:
Basically - "like most studios, we stripped the cheat codes instead of trying to make them work within the final system / fix the bugs that unlocking abilities out of order could cause."

Which... isn't unreasonable, but glosses over those cheats having previously been a feature and a significant part of why trophy hunting was actually fun in Uncharted. It suggests they're driving ever more in the cinematic gameplay direction, and cutting out anything that takes time away from that.

It's a sensible decision for a giant-budget system leading title targeting average gamers above all. It still makes me sad though :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I haven't played the game but just listening to them talk about the technical challenges they overcame in the train sequence of UC2 and even more so the cruise ship sequence in UC3 makes my brain hurt.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to play Uncharted 3 once I think, but I don't want to buy it, there is no place around that rents games, and I don't plan to start Gamefly just for that (it would take them millenia to get it to me anyway). I guess I'll just have to wait until the price goes way down, and who knows when that will happen.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 28, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Aphrodite posted:

I've heard a lot of people talking about how much they love the multiplayer in UC2 but my experience with it seemed to be nothing more than deathmatchy bullshit that felt just as bad as Gears of War's multiplayer. Maybe it's just me, but I am curious what makes UC2's multiplayer for you guys.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
edit: ^^^^ co-op is really fun

Cheats were never a huge part of Uncharted for me, because it's not a sandbox and is fun enough on its own. But GTA5 had better be adopting the reverse of UC3's new policy. I expect better cheats in GTA5!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

sentrygun posted:

I've heard a lot of people talking about how much they love the multiplayer in UC2 but my experience with it seemed to be nothing more than deathmatchy bullshit that felt just as bad as Gears of War's multiplayer. Maybe it's just me, but I am curious what makes UC2's multiplayer for you guys.

The coop was pretty awesome. I hated the competitive modes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pyruvate posted:

If it's one where you're repeatedly beating someone over the head, and the button doesn't have a timebar around it, then yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

If it's one where you're repeatedly beating someone over the head, and the button doesn't have a timebar around it, then yes.
It's kind of pointless though since typically you will kill any enemy with just the beginning of the heat action anyway, without going for the extra hits that you can get with mashing the button. It doesn't worked on bosses usually anyway.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cool, thanks. More generally about Japan than Yakuza I guess, why are there 5-6ft tall traffic cones behind some cars?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Competitive multiplayer in Uncharted 3 is terrible and the current multiplayer promo doesn't have co-op so I haven't played it yet.

I'm really sad about Uncharted 3 multiplayer. The summer multiplayer beta was the best multiplayer game I've played on the PS3, both competitive and co-op (except co-op hunter). Then Naughty Dog decided to increase the speed of the game by buffing sprint a lot. The change made the cover system useless and nobody engages in long range firefights because it's so easy to sprint next to your opponent and hipfire at them. The game is no longer fun to play. It just makes me want to play Uncharted 2 multiplayer where you actually have to aim at people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pyruvate posted:

Cool, thanks. More generally about Japan than Yakuza I guess, why are there 5-6ft tall traffic cones behind some cars?
That I can't say, I never saw something like that in my four or so years over there. I wasn't living in Tokyo though. Everything else visually about the game is highly accurate though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

That I can't say, I never saw something like that in my four or so years over there. I wasn't living in Tokyo though. Everything else visually about the game is highly accurate though.

Do hostess club girls look like RealDolls in real life like they do in merry old Kamurocho?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Do hostess club girls look like RealDolls in real life like they do in merry old Kamurocho?
I've only known one such girl (one of my ESL students at the time), and while she was indeed extremely made-up, she still looked really, really good.

I think what they tried to do is take a direct face capture of the real people (who were chosen by an audition of hostesses from all over Tokyo it seems) and then half-anime-ize them (enlarge their eyes, shift their facial features around a bit) and the result is disastrous. They also did it to Haruka, but for some reason it worked out somewhat okay there.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 29, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

axleblaze posted:

After Monster, every Pixeljunk game has been worse than the last. Really disappointing.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Artix74 posted:

I'm playing Festival of Blood, and holy poo poo, please tell me there's some sort of flight power like Shadow Swarm in Infamous 2. Once I got that and Vampire Sense I literally spent two hours just going around and collecting everything because it was that convenient, rather than a huge pain in the rear end. Also, I really like how they do the trophies. Rather than tell you "Eh, go do *some arbitrary thing* 10 times," it's "If you do this 5 times, you'll get a new/upgraded power, and if you do it 5 more times, we'll toss a trophy your way."

Nope, nothing like that in vanilla infamous. Infamous 2 is worth a play regardless

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

After Monster, every Pixeljunk game has been worse than the last. Really disappointing.

This is where I disagree. Shooter 1/2 are my favorite Pixeljunk games and I think I like 2 more than one even.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Remember when Naughty Dog claimed that their goal was to make Uncharted 3 multiplayer rival CoD and become the next big multiplayer experience :laugh: .

Still buying the hell out of it, because I love the singleplayer that much.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I really dug Shooter!

I thought Pixeljunk had announced (or was rumored to be working on), several years ago, a dungeon crawler of some sort. Anyone know what happened to that, or am I smoking crack?

edit: Used that Google thing all the kids are talking about... disappointing lack of news.

Urban Achiever fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 29, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

There were rumors that they would move on from 1-x to 2-x with a marked evolution in game design, but I think that was before Shooter.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

omnibobb posted:

Nope, nothing like that in vanilla infamous. Infamous 2 is worth a play regardless

Aw. :( More games should take the whole "Let's do something totally ridiculous and fun" approach like Festival of Blood. I liked Infamous, but I have a lot of games on my plate so vanilla Infamous 2 will have to wait, and I doubt that I'd want to jump right into it after playing Festival of Blood anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So I thought I'd finally take the time to finish Final Fantasy 13. I attempt the boot the game up and keep getting this message:

"Registration of the Trophy information could not be completed. Game will now quit."

I've synced my trophies to no avail. Am I SOL? Can I never experience the Fantasy again?

• Locked thread