Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a mouse to replace my Logitech mouseman dual optical (OLD) that has started to cutout rather frequently. A friend brought me a G500 and a G9X to try, and I use an IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 at work. Of the bunch I prefer the G500. I'm trying to decide between the G500 and the G400 (which I haven't tried).

My main complaint with the G500 is the middle click button. It requires significantly more force to press than the middle click of my old mouseman (though it's not quite as bad as the IntelliMouse I use at work). The middle click on the mouseman is similar to the left and right buttons in terms of force required, feel and sound. Where does the G400 fit in this spectrum? From what I gather it doesn't have a 3 way wheel like the G500 and IntelliMouse, so I'm guessing it is more like the mouseman than the G500 (it seems this way based on the pictures I've seen as well). If that is the case, I'll probably go with the G400 over the G500 even though I'll miss the left/right wheel buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Try binding the G500's third thumb button to middle click. You'll get used to it in an hour, and it's both really light and well placed.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy

Splinter posted:

I'm trying to decide between the G500 and the G400 (which I haven't tried).

You really should just try out the G400. I returned both a G9x and G500 before settling on it and the middle click isn't a pain in the rear end to use.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
My mom's laptop had taken a poo poo so I took her over my laptop until we got her sorted out. I also had taken my g700 over to her with the laptop. Now that her laptop is back she mentioned how she loves my g700. She likes:

1.) How it just fits in her hand
2.) And the thingy doesn't stick out as far. (She's talking about the wireless adapter you plug in. She must have some old rear end mouse cause the usb adapter sticks out like an inch.)

What would she like? I didn't tell her the G700 was $75 bucks as I know she won't want to spend that much for a mouse. What are the cheaper alternatives that fit those very easy specs. A quick look at amazon I didn't even see one that didn't have a small usb adapter so that's pretty much extinct, right? I could see her not minding $20-30.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
My Zowie Mico started squeaking (the mousewheel that is). Is there a trick to avoid that noise that can easily be done? I haven't open it yet but I assume its plastic on metal or something (rasp it a little?). I really like it otherwise.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

My Zowie Mico started squeaking (the mousewheel that is). Is there a trick to avoid that noise that can easily be done? I haven't open it yet but I assume its plastic on metal or something (rasp it a little?). I really like it otherwise.

Mineral oil maybe? Not familiar with that mouse might have to open it up if you want to get it on the right spot. A little bit goes a long way.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Trisk posted:

Mineral oil maybe? Not familiar with that mouse might have to open it up if you want to get it on the right spot. A little bit goes a long way.

I opened it up, removed two redundant screws (weight I guess) and closed it again. It's gone for now. I'll try oil next time. Thanks.

\/2 L. grease sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 28, 2011

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

How likely is it that I will be able to buy a mouse better than the Logitech G9x for less than $50 during black friday?

Edit: Never mind, just pulled the trigger. It's in stock right now at newegg for $49.99 after the promo code. No regrets.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 28, 2011

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I opened it up, removed two redundant screws (weight I guess) and closed it again. It's gone for now. I'll try oil next time. Thanks.

I'd favour a very small amount of white lithium grease over mineral oil. It's less likely to creep.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
dumb setpoint question:

I reinstalled windows with an ssd and reinstalled the same version of setpoint, now mouse6 (the shoulder button) on my performance mx refuses to function as "middle click", including closing thumnbail previews and chrome/opera tabs.

I will literally go insane if I cannot use middle click. clicking a button set to middle click just minimizes my current window.

I've tried both setpoint 6.32 and 4.8 with uberoptions.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to everyone who suggested the Logitech G1 as an MX300 replacement. Got mine in from Korea and it really is pretty much the exact same thing, only this one has a 'dented metal' and glossy plastic look to it, and the optics in it are much more sensitive. No silly tilt wheels or other fancy stuff, just the good old three button + a scroll design. I love it.

Knowledge Expert
Feb 18, 2004

I have kind of a weird set up, where the computer is pretty far from where I'm actually using the computer. Can anyone recommend a good mouse that will work over 10 meters away from the receiver? I'm not looking for a 6 button gaming mouse type of deal, but I don't want one of those little HTPC remotes either.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

radiopillows posted:

I have kind of a weird set up, where the computer is pretty far from where I'm actually using the computer. Can anyone recommend a good mouse that will work over 10 meters away from the receiver? I'm not looking for a 6 button gaming mouse type of deal, but I don't want one of those little HTPC remotes either.

Assuming the receiver is USB, you could always just string up a hub closer to where you are and plug it in there. My wife has one of the Logitech wireless trackballs, and she swaps the dingle back and forth between the USB hub on the desktop and her laptop. Seems to work ok.

Knowledge Expert
Feb 18, 2004

fatman1683 posted:

Assuming the receiver is USB, you could always just string up a hub closer to where you are and plug it in there. My wife has one of the Logitech wireless trackballs, and she swaps the dingle back and forth between the USB hub on the desktop and her laptop. Seems to work ok.

That's definitely a possibility. I might even have the cables on hand to try that right now.

Basically, my computer is plugged into the HDTV on one end of the room, where I play most of my games. However some games are terrible sitting on a couch, like Dawn of War and Civ 5, so I have an HDMI cable running along the wall to my computer desk on the other side and into my monitor. I've been using Synergy to share a mouse between my Macbook Pro and the computer, but quite a few games have problems with that set up. So that's what led to my desire to just replace it with a mouse that had decent range.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just got a G500. Probably shouldn't have assumed that there would be native ways to get it configured under OSX, but I thought we were past these kinds of things nowadays.

Oh well, at least all of the stuff is stored in memory and I have a PC VM to run setpoint. The scroll wheel is way better than the one on the MX Revolution, that's for drat sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does LCC for Mac not work with the G500? :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Nope. Doesn't show up or anything. Pretty hilarious.

edit: Cool. Had to map all the buttons to generic buttons in SetPoint on Windows, then use BetterTouchTool to map them to back / forward / whatever.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 7, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Martytoof posted:

Does LCC for Mac not work with the G500? :(

I had to hack the LCC for it to recognise my MX1100. Maybe this can help you with the G500. You will need a Windows PC to rip some codes out of the Win version of the Logitech tools:

http://www.cloudgoessocial.net/2010/09/21/logitech-wave-pro-macosx/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Well, gently caress Razer. I sent them an e-mail asking what they'd done about product quality since I've averaged using one of their mice about 2 years before it crapped out. It got kicked up one level at tech support and they never even sent me a response.

Enjoying my Logitech G400, just need to get used to the grip now.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I keep reading about this awesome mouse called the MX518, so I look it up and oh wow it looks just like my mouse. Turn my mouse over and holy poo poo it IS my mouse.

I'd been using it for so long I completely forgot what it was, that's how good it is.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
I've had my G400 for 10 days now and it's pretty awesome. Had to fiddle a little with setpoint to get the keys how I wanted them. Took a little while to get used to the shape as previously I mostly used a claw grip; but I now find it really comfortable. Only minor gripe is the dpi - seems to change down every now and then - I only really want it on one setting - semi high.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

How likely is it that I will be able to buy a mouse better than the Logitech G9x for less than $50 during black friday?

Edit: Never mind, just pulled the trigger. It's in stock right now at newegg for $49.99 after the promo code. No regrets.
I feel like such a savage having used cheap mice all these years. This mouse is the greatest thing ever and 5700dpi is ridiculously accurate. It's comfortable as hell the only thing I dont really care about is the weights, I dont see the benefit of making it heavier.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I happen to like it. I can't really explain why. I load my G500 up with the max. It just feels right.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm buying a laptop and want a wireless mouse that I can use reliably without a mousepad. My laptop won't have bluetooth, and I'm not really sure what to look for. I have no real use for more than 3 buttons and a scroll wheel.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do you want a smaller laptop oriented mouse or a full size regular mouse?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Just pulled the trigger on a new pc, my first in 6 years, and I'm looking for a badass mouse to complement it. I still have an mx518 that I'll keep as backup. I'm looking at the steelseries sensei because goofy poo poo like LEDs and a display on the bottom of the mouse appeal to me. Is there any glaring reason I shouldn't get this mouse.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dogen posted:

Do you want a smaller laptop oriented mouse or a full size regular mouse?

There are also the Logitech Couch Mouse and Marathon Mouse which are nice middle-of-the-road option.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I recently tried using a Wacom tablet with stylus in place of a mouse. It works fine with a single screen, and I could get used to it and like it, but with three screens side by side? Nope. The tablet itself can now serve as a mousepad for my regular mouse (since optical mice don't work on my table), but I've been using the Wacom mouse that came with the tablet instead. It's nice and precise, the felt padding on the bottom is smoother than the bottom of my MX518.

metachronos posted:

...goofy poo poo like LEDs and a display...

Is there any glaring reason I shouldn't get this mouse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my old Intuos2 tablet, but I have the smallest one and honestly I'd like just a little more real estate to move around on. Nice to hear it works well, though :)

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just got a G500. Probably shouldn't have assumed that there would be native ways to get it configured under OSX, but I thought we were past these kinds of things nowadays.

The LCC for OSX sucks balls. My Anywhere MX stutters when my computer comes under moderate to heavy load.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

shao kong posted:

The LCC for OSX sucks balls. My Anywhere MX stutters when my computer comes under moderate to heavy load.

Holy poo poo is this LCC? My MX Rev went crazy and unresponsive for like 30 seconds while I was wirelessly syncing my iPad today :stare:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Martytoof posted:

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my old Intuos2 tablet, but I have the smallest one and honestly I'd like just a little more real estate to move around on. Nice to hear it works well, though :)

Mine, 6"x8", was way too big. I had to cut down the usable size to something about 1/4 the tablet area, maybe 3"x4", so that I didn't have to drag my hand all over the place.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I never had an mx518 but gently caress it I'm going to try the g400.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Christoff posted:

I never had an mx518 but gently caress it I'm going to try the g400.

I never understood why the mx518 looked like it was melting or whatever. I'm glad that Logitech went for a sleeker look with the g400. Let us know how it tracks as I can't find much about it online.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

People in this thread have said it's pretty great.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo is this LCC? My MX Rev went crazy and unresponsive for like 30 seconds while I was wirelessly syncing my iPad today :stare:

I'm assuming that's the problem since it seemed to stop when I uninstalled it. Unfortunately the mouse tracked like crap in general without it, plus half the buttons don't work, so!

I use one of those color-temperature hanging programs at night to save my eyes and every time the temperature shifts my mouse turns to a slug.

It sucks because it's a great mouse otherwise, but if I actually played games on this thing I think I probably would have thrown it through a wall by now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Habu is on the way out :( . It's double clicking when I click, definitely seems to be hardware related (each button has gradually started doing it, now LMB started which is ever-so-slightly annoying).

I'm looking for a replacement and I like this thing a lot but it's long time out of production now and I have no interesting in buying someone else's smelly used seconds. Also it seems like the quality control was brilliant, from what I am reading online of people have had simialr issues.

Before this I had an original MX510 but it wasn't properly supported on Vista/7, Logitech's support were a bunch of dicks to me (when they replied at all), and I generally would prefer to never buy from them again. Also I disliked the shape after extended use. However I do have quite particular requirements so I'm open to any suggestions, really:

• Must be relatively flat. Right-handed-only is fine but the 510 was quite sloped and hurt my wrist.
  • Must have at least one extra accessible top button, I use this for voice chat.
  • Must have forward/back on the right edge, big fat buttons are a bonus.
  • I use palm-grip so it should be fairly big.

Was considering a Lachesis or a Sidewinder X8.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lachesis is absolute poo poo

Sidewinder sounds right up your alley though. Huge, bulky palm grip style, fairly decent sensor, the buttons you want, etc.

But please don't get the Lachesis. The QC on that mouse is absolutely terrible. I've had 2 and they both had middle-click wheels die within 2 months, problems with terrible firmware, bad sensor (lift), and profile saving (which is apparently a feature)

On top of that, it's uncomfortable as gently caress, being that it's about 10 inches long, has a horrible hump that's way too far back to be of any use but an annoyance to other people stealing your computer; and, the buttons slope up at the end. It's just stupid and unnecessary to have the buttons round up instead of down like every other mouse since the original IBM pc

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Tunga posted:

My Habu is on the way out :( . It's double clicking when I click, definitely seems to be hardware related (each button has gradually started doing it, now LMB started which is ever-so-slightly annoying).

I'm looking for a replacement and I like this thing a lot but it's long time out of production now and I have no interesting in buying someone else's smelly used seconds. Also it seems like the quality control was brilliant, from what I am reading online of people have had simialr issues.

Before this I had an original MX510 but it wasn't properly supported on Vista/7, Logitech's support were a bunch of dicks to me (when they replied at all), and I generally would prefer to never buy from them again. Also I disliked the shape after extended use. However I do have quite particular requirements so I'm open to any suggestions, really:

• Must be relatively flat. Right-handed-only is fine but the 510 was quite sloped and hurt my wrist.
  • Must have at least one extra accessible top button, I use this for voice chat.
  • Must have forward/back on the right edge, big fat buttons are a bonus.
  • I use palm-grip so it should be fairly big.

Was considering a Lachesis or a Sidewinder X8.

I have a R.A.T 7 that I enjoy. I have the same issue with the sloped ones like the Logitechs. Took some tweeking to get everything set up how I wanted, but now that it's set I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Lachesis is absolute poo poo

Sidewinder sounds right up your alley though. Huge, bulky palm grip style, fairly decent sensor, the buttons you want, etc.

But please don't get the Lachesis. The QC on that mouse is absolutely terrible. I've had 2 and they both had middle-click wheels die within 2 months, problems with terrible firmware, bad sensor (lift), and profile saving (which is apparently a feature)

On top of that, it's uncomfortable as gently caress, being that it's about 10 inches long, has a horrible hump that's way too far back to be of any use but an annoyance to other people stealing your computer; and, the buttons slope up at the end. It's just stupid and unnecessary to have the buttons round up instead of down like every other mouse since the original IBM pc

Meh, I've completely given up on Razer products - have blown through three of their mice, finally just got a Logitech G400 recently to replace a broken Copperhead and couldn't happier. Their customer service decided to just not respond to me for 3 weeks, figured it's time for me to move on.

So yes, don't bother with the Lachesis - even if it works at first, when it fails, Razer will do everything possible to not help you or even answer basic questions.