Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Elysiume posted:

What is your str/dex/fai?

I think 36/22/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Elysiume posted:

^^: Just wait until you lose 50k. :allears:

This. Most recently, I misread the guide about there being a Bonfire in Tomb of the Giants, where the Pinwheel guys & Skeleton Babies are. After running out of Flasks and wasting all my Pyro on babies and not finding it, I assumed it was just through the fog gate. Oops. :suicide: 45k dropped in there. Amassed ~30k again farming, screwed up and died losing the original 45k, and then screwed up again on my way back, losing the other 30k. Nearly 80k lost in the course of ~5 minutes.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

Gargoyle Tail Axe isn't useful for any achievements, right? The estoc isn't cutting it for tail removal, and that thing is weird anyway.

I think it counts for the Knight's achievement, for getting all uniques.

The ones in Anor Londo don't have tails, either, I don't think. Maybe they do! They died too fast for me to tell. :black101:

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Is there any benefit, even storywise, for remaining covenant free the whole game?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: None as far as I know, but apparently being in the Princess' Guard will make Kaathe not appear or something.

doomfunk posted:

I think it counts for the Knight's achievement, for getting all uniques.

The ones in Anor Londo don't have tails, either, I don't think. Maybe they do! They died too fast for me to tell. :black101:
I'm pretty sure the ones in AL do; I think I have two axes on one character.

Once again I didn't get the gargoyle helm. Woe :qq:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Made a new character specifically built to use Black Knight Halberd/Axe. Neither of them drop with 410 item find.

Dark Souls! :argh:

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Nechronic posted:

Made a new character specifically built to use Black Knight Halberd/Axe. Neither of them drop with 410 item find.

I haven't gotten a single Black Knight drop after killing a number of them. I want a sword though...

Is it worth it to spend the 20K to open the locked door in Darkroot Garden? I assume it is, just wanted to make sure.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, it absolutely is. Be sure to unlock the bonfire right next to it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nechronic posted:

You get unlimited chances for the drops at the Kiln, but this is why it is very difficult to build with a particular black knight weapon at all, and what discourages me from even trying.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Elysiume posted:

My worst loss of souls has been 960,000 that I got from collecting titanite chunks and enough demon titanite to fully upgrade every weapon that uses it to max.

Sadly, I couldn't really have used it even if I wanted to, cause it took me more than that to gain a level at that point, and I already owned everything of necessity sold by the vendors.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I lost 400k that I gained from murdering O&S over and over again. I fell off a walkway in new londo, twice. I wasn't even mad. Easy come, easy go in Darks Souls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dizz posted:

Yeah i saw it right after I posted. I'm not sure if it's recommended i fight that "surprise thing just yet so i'm not going to bother and continue ascending the church.
Probably not, but you should stop by the blacksmith just downstairs from the bonfire.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
This capra demon has been apparently looking at the "How to beat the Capra Demon" videos because gently caress I can't even get my bearings in that fight with those dogs :argh:.

If I swing at them then the capra kicks my rear end and vice versa.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Have you tried retreating up the stairs and using a spear or rapier to poke them from behind your shield? That seems to have worked for people in this thread, that's how I've done that fight so far.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

FisheyStix posted:

I lost 400k that I gained from murdering O&S over and over again. I fell off a walkway in new londo, twice. I wasn't even mad. Easy come, easy go in Darks Souls.

Yeah, I'm running around in Lost Izalith in human form with 21 humanity and a couple hundred thou in souls, mostly from assists/invasions.

I don't even care if an invader kills me, I mean - I'd be kinda grumpy at losing the humanity but I love assisting so it wouldn't really be a huge deal.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Have you tried retreating up the stairs and using a spear or rapier to poke them from behind your shield? That seems to have worked for people in this thread, that's how I've done that fight so far.

I don't think the spear dishes out enough damage to be useful right now. I'm also using the drake sword. I need to get more stamina so I don't lose life when i take a heavy hit.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Upgrade that poo poo then, the drake sword is gonna leave you too vulnerable when the dogs are coming at you. You found the blacksmith in the parish? If you take a little time to grind souls or explore a new area you can get a shield or weapon up to +5 pretty fast; that will help more than increasing the associated stats at this point. Good idea to get more endurance eventually though, it's the most important stat for melee fighting.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I accidentally took a swing at the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. Oops right? But fixable. So I went and killed the gargoyles on my second or third try, rung the bell, and meet the man who could fix my little dilemma for 32000 souls. No big deal, i started using consumables to get what I needed, and in doing so, I accidentally stabbed the guy. :downs:

I started a new game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dizz posted:

I don't think the spear dishes out enough damage to be useful right now. I'm also using the drake sword. I need to get more stamina so I don't lose life when i take a heavy hit.

Upgrade your shield to improve its Stability rating as well, super important stat always, and can help soften the blow from Capra (though ideally you want to just dodge his first swing alltogether).

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Just beat the game, didn't realize I had. Moved on to the next area and accidentally doomed the world to eternal night.

Oops. So much for being a thief with a heart of gold.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Dizz posted:

This capra demon has been apparently looking at the "How to beat the Capra Demon" videos because gently caress I can't even get my bearings in that fight with those dogs :argh:.

If I swing at them then the capra kicks my rear end and vice versa.

Go back to the Blacksmith, next to him is the entrance to DarkRoot Garden, the zone/boss is more forgiving then Capra, and there you can pick up a number of items that are useful against Capra.

It's not a finesse fight, you just need to make sure you either have an upgraded shield or a high amount of poise from armor to stay on your feet and take/absorb the damage, because the dogs are going to body block you from rolling.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

just killed him in a stroke of luck when i got knocked off the stairs, he fell along with me and the dogs and while he recovered i landed 4 perfect slashes that nearly killed him but also killed the dogs as well. the rest was cake now that the dogs were dead. time to remember where the smith is and upgrade my knight shield +2.

edit: oh gently caress the dragon on the bridge is PISSED! :ohdear:

Dizz fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 30, 2011

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

DarkArchimedes posted:

cause it took me more than that to gain a level at that point

What SL is that?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Healbot posted:

You need to learn rolling against him as both your shield and stamina will not be able to keep up with his Dragon Tooth. He loves doing a 180° overhead smash.

Yeah, Im getting better but 1 hit=kill is a really steep learning curve. It wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have to clear the undead berg everytime I wanted to fight.

I dont think I am fast enough, as I am rarely able to get into position to pull off the backstab, and the only attack I can pull off is my weak attack which does like 30 dmg to him.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
It's pretty amazing how fast you can get through the game on NG+ when you know where everything is and start with a good weapon. Took me 5 hours to complete up through Sen's Fortress.

Although it does kind of suck needing 150k+ souls to level up now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BigRoman posted:

Yeah, Im getting better but 1 hit=kill is a really steep learning curve. It wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have to clear the undead berg everytime I wanted to fight.

I dont think I am fast enough, as I am rarely able to get into position to pull off the backstab, and the only attack I can pull off is my weak attack which does like 30 dmg to him.

I cheesed him because he can't go past the door into darkroot basin.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Sumixam posted:

What SL is that?

It's over 300. After I got into my NG+, I got to around SL 150 or so and decided I just wanted to dick around with weapon setups and stat scaling, so I boosted myself a whole bunch of souls for experimentation purposes. Once I was done leveling myself, I still ran around getting things (still had all the boss soul weapons to grab and look at, and spells to test out).

I started farming up the demon titanite around that time. I ditched the rest of the souls I gave myself for leveling purposes since I'd already hit the soft cap for useful stats, and by the time I was done collecting all my titanite, I had nearly a million souls again naturally.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Dizz posted:

You can also just upgrade your shield to reduce the endurance it takes off for every hit.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Someone mentioned using Alluring Skulls against the Capra Demon. Would they care to elaborate?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So I killed Dragon Slayer by cheesing the hell out of his fight. Stand far enough away and all he shoots at you is Lightning bolts and pop him with the heavy crossbow. Instant bitch win, but I don't care!

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
I'm so massively disappointed right now. Low and mid-level pvp was so awesome! Mostly rumbled in Darkroot Garden and then Anor Londo/Painted World. Some RoF cheese and lightning weapons but nothing too terrible, mostly a bunch of dudes dicking around and trying out builds. Some relatively small annoyances and exploits but overall, good times.

High level pvp? Like SL75+ in Kiln of the First Flame? RoF, WoG, TWoP. Mix in a few lightning weapons and maxed out Greater Combustions. Armors of choice? Havel's or Gold-Hemmed. That's it. Everyone. All the time. Well, ok, maybe the occasional Mask of the Father. So I started summoning a dude or two to assist me, try to pick up a few pointers or whatever, and watch as these retards run headlong at each other, take a few practice swings, then whip out their talismans and focus solely on trying to be the first to land a WoG and effectively cinch the win. Ever seen two people using RoF in heavy armor cast TWoP on each other? It was like watching a blindfolded cane vs walker duel between two very angry stroke victims.

Ugh, f that noise. I'm starting over and keeping it under SL50 this time.

edit: though now that I think about it, high-level pvp almost always boils down to a few targeted builds focusing on very particular skillsets. After the patch the same process will start over. Exploits or no, I just didn't build my guy right. Ah well, guess I just prefer the random goofiness and variety of low/mid level clusterfucks. :)

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2011

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what the hell am I supposed to do in anor londo.

One area has a sealed door, the other the bonfire and I take an elevator and fought a gargoyle but nothing more beyond that, I saw some try jumping messages but my prism stone says otherwise.

It doesn't help that every message I've seen is something either stupid or trolling.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

So what the hell am I supposed to do in anor londo.

One area has a sealed door, the other the bonfire and I take an elevator and fought a gargoyle but nothing more beyond that, I saw some try jumping messages but my prism stone says otherwise.

It doesn't help that every message I've seen is something either stupid or trolling.

Where you fought the Gargoyle, go back to the stairs near the elevator, with the stairs at your back, look left. There will be a beam leading up into the top floor of the church, advance from there.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011

gravyflood posted:

Someone mentioned using Alluring Skulls against the Capra Demon. Would they care to elaborate?

I'm not the guy who mentioned it but you can use Alluring Skulls to distract the dogs, makes the fight a hell lot easier.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Digger-254 posted:

PVP

50 soul levels is more than enough to troll with fog ring, wrath of god, combustion, and tranquil walk. Hell, it'd be even worse because that's exactly what I would build unless I took vow of silence as a mage hybrid because anything else would be subpar anyway with such a low amount of points. Hopefully the patch will change the metagame for you.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is Gravelording broken? When I got to Anor Londo, I saw a gravelord sign pop up, but it disappeared as soon as I tried to touch it. So I played through the level a few times, then saw the sign again, went to it, and killed the guy. When I came back, it said the curse was lifted (or something to that effect), but having faced the enemies both before and after, I didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
At the Asylum, any tips for the Demon on second visit? He just slays me with that fire poo poo.

e: Okay after a few more attempts I'm assuming the answer is basically this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhk5N32Tec

Shanty fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 30, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Palleon posted:

Is Gravelording broken? When I got to Anor Londo, I saw a gravelord sign pop up, but it disappeared as soon as I tried to touch it. So I played through the level a few times, then saw the sign again, went to it, and killed the guy. When I came back, it said the curse was lifted (or something to that effect), but having faced the enemies both before and after, I didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

You'd know if you fought Gravelord enemies; they appear red like hostile phantoms and are MUCH tougher than the normal versions. It's possible you found the guy's portal before running into any - he may have just planted it. If it disappeared the first time, it might have been because he died. Gravelord signs are like summon signs where they'll drop if you die for any reason at all. So unless they're standing around doing nothing, or super awesome at the game, it's highly likely that a gravelord is going to get killed well before anyone finds his sign and invades him.

It also doesn't cut you off from being invaded by normal means, so someone else could even hop in and kill them without even having been summoned by the portal, just because they happened to get them randomly when they used a (cracked) red eye orb.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
For the second trip to the tutorial area wear light armor while circle strafing him with a shield with high fire resist. Back up when he does his butt stomp and close range fire sphere. Laugh as you don't get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

At the Asylum, any tips for the Demon on second visit? He just slays me with that fire poo poo.

Stay close to him, so whenever he does any kind of attack, you can just run behind him. His magic/fire attacks aren't blockable as far as I know, but if you're behind him a few feet, they won't hit you, and you can get in 1-2 good hits before he recovers (same for his butt stomp). It can be tricky because a lot can go wrong, but as long as you can stay behind him and don't accidentally get hit by his blasts, you shouldn't get hit (assuming you can survive the fall and his first attack before you can get behind him in the first place).

• Locked thread