Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

50 soul levels is more than enough to troll with fog ring, wrath of god, combustion, and tranquil walk. Hell, it'd be even worse because that's exactly what I would build unless I took vow of silence as a mage hybrid because anything else would be subpar anyway with such a low amount of points. Hopefully the patch will change the metagame for you.

Dammit, 35 then!

Ahh, I know. I hear what you're saying, dude. But I'm old, I'm crotchety, and I feel like being angry about this right now, ok? So I'm gonna shake my fist at the world over the internet, grumble about it under my breath while I start a new character, and finally, after much huffing and puffing, get the ball rolling again.

...'Cuz I sure am looking forward to Lost Izalith again. And that Tomb of Giants? Yup. Can't loving wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shanty posted:

At the Asylum, any tips for the Demon on second visit? He just slays me with that fire poo poo.

e: Okay after a few more attempts I'm assuming the answer is basically this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhk5N32Tec
I'm pretty sure that is, in fact, magic poo poo, so try a shield with better magic resistance for one thing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Digger-254 posted:

Dammit, 35 then!

Honestly I'm not a fan of how pvp is evolving so don't get me wrong. It's amazing to see how tranquil was used to counter fog, and then wrath and combustion to counter tranquil, and then vow to counter all that poo poo, but aside from that its not very interesting right now. Hopefully the patch shakes things up, but until then I'm either going to immobilize you or silence you to put you on equal footing with me.

Here are some ideas. Not a fan of nerfing but these are the only things coming to mind at the moment. Make Wrath do less damage and/or make it take up more slots/less casts. Lower the radius of Tranquil walk/make it take 3 slots. Lower the guard break/damage/insane side hitbox of great combustion.

Fog ring...ummmm...I have no clue because making you able to be locked on to defeats the point of the ring. But it might be a necessary evil :negative:

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 30, 2011

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Well that did it. Basically staying behind him makes him do pretty much only the AOE blast and his butt stomp. Back the gently caress off when he pulls either and then GET IN THAT rear end LARRY.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My body count in the forest must be staggering at this point. I've easily gotten several million souls from preying on the forest hunter covenant. Those poor, poor people.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Gildiss posted:

My body count in the forest must be staggering at this point. I've easily gotten several million souls from preying on the forest hunter covenant. Those poor, poor people.

This has slowly become my favorite thing about the game. It's hilarious when I hit them and like 80% of their life is gone in a single blow. The only thing that pisses me off though, sometimes it seems like it gets stuck in a situation where it fogs my entrance/exit to the forest but nobody invades and I have to quit out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bumped into the infamous sniper segment I've seen people complaining about.

This is some bullshit, its not even challenging, its just 2 enemies with heavy projectiles in a bad spot, its horrible.

I keep getting knocked down when I have one go melee, hell one I was approaching and the blocked arrow tossed me off.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Welp, got to Ornstein and Smough on my Biorr run. This is going about like I expected it to with no shield, poo poo evasion, and extremely slow attack options. This might take a while. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

This is some bullshit, its not even challenging, its just 2 enemies with heavy projectiles in a bad spot, its horrible.

I keep getting knocked down when I have one go melee, hell one I was approaching and the blocked arrow tossed me off.
Once again, I'll list the two easiest ways to deal with this:
1. Hit each one with a poisoned arrow and wait for them to die. It takes a bit to hit them, but once you do it's easy enough.
2. Just run. When I've been under 50% load, I've failed on running past them once out of five tries, and it was when I was fighting the guy on the right and he just stabbed me to death.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Don't even attempt a real melee fight. Just block the guy on the ledge until he falls off. You also might have to roll under an arrow as you're approaching him along the side of the building because it'll just bonk you right off.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Final boss fight is beautiful but insane. I'm thinking of leveling up a parrying shield for it.

I do wish I had enough Twinkies to upgrade the black knight shield, also.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I got past the sniper part in Anor Londo on my first try, and it didn't really even seem hard. My Poise was only about 20ish, but blocking one of the arrows only made me slightly stagger, so I was able to just run up there with my shield up and be fine. Was I lucky, is this part way harder with different equipment, or what?

Also, the PvP is bullshit and unfun, and I wish they hadn't even bothered. Was invaded today shortly after each bonfire I kindled, and not once was it someone I could have even stood a chance against. If not for kindling being a necessity, I'd be going through the whole game undead.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
When someone invades me looks really suped-up, I like to move near a cliff. Doesn't matter how badass you are, if I can get a lucky kick in you're goin' downhill, buster.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

This has slowly become my favorite thing about the game. It's hilarious when I hit them and like 80% of their life is gone in a single blow. The only thing that pisses me off though, sometimes it seems like it gets stuck in a situation where it fogs my entrance/exit to the forest but nobody invades and I have to quit out.

The stairs are a invasion free zone, so if you wait on the stairs the fog will eventually recede and you will be able to leave.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Alteisen posted:

If you have the Dark Wood Grain Ring and are under 50% load, it's amazing how fast you can just run by their arrows up to the ledge. At that point, ignore the one on the left and run for the one on the right. If he happens to get a shot off while you're going toward him, just somersault through it and he should pull out his sword and shield.

You can either fight him or ease your way around him at that point.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I sort of wish there were a covenant where you could be called in to assist invaded players who'd had enough. Sort of like a special white phantom. I suppose it would be massively unfair to the invader and prone to lots of abuse, however, so there you go.

I can definitely sympathise with those unfortunate enough to get invaded on the way to getting help for a boss or whatever, which is why I just white phantom now. Any invader gets a taste of their own medicine in the form of an 800 damage Greater Combustion or two.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
Okay I need some advice, I'm level 45 on my current character but I'm conflicted about how to level up. My current stats are:

quote:

Vit 18
Att 14
End 22
Str 20
Dex 16
Res 11
Int 08
Fth 18
I was going to continue to pump stats into vit, end, and maybe strength, but I just got owned by someone using Wrath of the Gods and it was :aaaaa:. I was thinking about maybe putting my next 10 levels into faith to use it, then finish it off at 30 for vow of silence, but I'm worried that would make my other stats suffer too much. Any thoughts? I might even reroll, the only reason I got so much dex was so that I could use the dark sword which turned out to be poop. So disappointing.

Edit: Oh wait I just realized that I have the perfect str/dex for the washing pole, sweeeeet!

ManSauceGuzzlr fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 30, 2011

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
I made a dark souls PvP moving image.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

No homo posted:

Seems pretty accurate.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."

No homo posted:

drat that is a :master:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That reminds me of this image from the DeS thread:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Alteisen posted:

I can only suggest what I ended up doing:

-Sprint up the first ramp to the pillar that blocks LoS for the two of them.

-Take the right side, move to the second ramp, sprint up.

-Run right and do a dodge roll under the dude's incoming arrow.

-Wedge yourself into the little corner there, and do a standard block attack and retaliate until the dude dies.

I was using Eagle Shield+5 and Claymore+10 at the time, had no problems blocking if I dropped shield between attacks and he went down in 3 hits.

Took me 6 attempts, 3 where I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, 1 where I screwed up the dodge roll, 1 where I got unlucky on the melee and got knocked off, and got it on the sixth try. I'm sure I got off pretty lucky.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

gravyflood posted:

Someone mentioned using Alluring Skulls against the Capra Demon. Would they care to elaborate?

What I did, and what worked the first time, is slam the Toss Item button as I was walking through the fog door. I did my best to toss the skull to the right of Capra, though I didn't notice where it landed because he was already swinging at me, and I just had enough time to get my shield up. I had a +5 hollow soldier shield and so should everyone :colbert:

The skull kept the dogs at bay until I could get set up on the ledge, and from there it's just a matter of whacking the dogs when you get an opening.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So you're saying I could be a boring rear end knight or be a fat rear end ninja flipping around with a low rent version of Guts' sword?

I'm pretty sure I know which one is more gangster :whatup:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

No homo posted:

oh god drat someone needs to edit some armor and weapons on them. maybe even have a status bar with the stamina going down from each roll.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
In all of this thread, I have not seen this answered - I suspect the answer is no, but: If I leave the Darkwraith covenant, and then on NG+ return to it and take it to 3 once more, do I receive another Darksword?

e: Also I'm tacking the Bed of Chaos tonight. I intend to not die. We'll see how well that goes!

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

doomfunk posted:

In all of this thread, I have not seen this answered - I suspect the answer is no, but: If I leave the Darkwraith covenant, and then on NG+ return to it and take it to 3 once more, do I receive another Darksword?

e: Also I'm tacking the Bed of Chaos tonight. I intend to not die. We'll see how well that goes!

Just curious, why would you want another one? It's pretty crappy from what I can tell, unless I'm missing something.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It looks really cool. Its R2 chain is fairly low-stamina but is flashy and has some clout behind it.

Eh, even if I can't get another I'll be content +5 Chaos-ing the one I've got.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I finally got a Black Knight Shield! Too bad it'd put me over 25% weight and require me to raise my strength to 16. From 12. I guess I'll want it at 16 for the Moonlight Greatsword eventually anyway, so it'll just be a matter of when I do it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

doomfunk posted:

It looks really cool.
There is something to be said for this. At a certain point, especially if you're not PvPing, you just want to barbie doll up your character and run around in your favorite looking stuff. I for one will never be taking off my GoldHemmed Legs or the Darkwraith Armor, on this very principle. :colbert:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I'm a big fan of marrying looking good and kicking rear end, and a fully-upgraded Chaos Darksword is roughly as good as Queelag's with heavy attacks that are more useful in PVP. There's something to be said for a fast, advancing attack chain that'll stagger invaders who don't wear heavy armour.

e: of course, if you can actually hit someone with the zwei R2 or demon machete R2 in pvp the fight's pretty much over immediately, same principle.

Elysiume posted:

I finally got a Black Knight Shield! Too bad it'd put me over 25% weight and require me to raise my strength to 16. From 12. I guess I'll want it at 16 for the Moonlight Greatsword eventually anyway, so it'll just be a matter of when I do it.

Congrats, it's the best fire shield in the game! Try not to let its low stability get you down, it's still very slick.

I double dog dare you to wield a silver and black knight's shield on either arm and call yourself Ebony and Ivory.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 30, 2011

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

Merauder posted:

There is something to be said for this. At a certain point, especially if you're not PvPing, you just want to barbie doll up your character and run around in your favorite looking stuff. I for one will never be taking off my GoldHemmed Legs or the Darkwraith Armor, on this very principle. :colbert:

My fully upgraded Darkwraith armor is pimp though, same stats as Ornsteins with slightly less weight. I guess I was just expecting more out of a sword that required 30 humanity to get, I mean at least slightly better stats than a standard straight sword.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

No homo posted:

This is actually too good.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Just had the most amazing PvP moment. Got an invasion message the very instant after I'd sniped the red dragon from underneath the bridge. Dragon jumps down, I get a message that the opposing player has been vanquished two seconds later.

Think I'll join the dragon faction just for that.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Helpful hint: Bring something besides a fire estoc to blighttown. Taking the spider lady down 24 hp at a time takes a while.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

No homo posted:

lmao

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

No homo posted:

Dude should really use the dark wood grain ring.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Is it possible to summon someone for Crystal Caves/Seath from the bottom bonfire of Duke's? I am at my wits end :(

What I mean is a) are people willing to do that? and b) will they get blocked out in the area transition?

Ugh...

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Finally beat the game. I gotta say I was definitely not impressed with how quickly the last 4 bosses went down. Between the 4 of them I think I died, twice?

Either way flash sweat on the last boss + a kindled bonfire = lmao

Thinking of either pumping this guy up for PVP or starting fresh and seeing how the game goes with a character where I know the game is.

Im level 74 right now and getting lots of PVP in the last area, so im wondering if I should pump my stats or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Out of curiosity about why everyone is saying it's so good, I made a character today to give the lightning +5 zwei a shot. It is now farther into the game after about 8 hours of playing than my original "main" character is with about 25. I see what the big deal is now.

Just not looking forward to doing tomb of the giants. I'm going to grind humanity on rats to get a sunlight maggot before going there.

• Locked thread