Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Got it from ADV of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AncientTV posted:

Pfff, there's no such thing as bad riding weather

I'll gladly switch places with someone. You take my all-year riding weather on mediocre, traffic laden, elderly infested roads, and I take your real winter.

Done!

Let me know how you like riding at -40! :buddy:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a plan to get my old enduro running before the first snowfall, then put drywall screws in the old knobbies and enjoying the nearly-abandoned streets. As long as we get some snow in Seattle, at least.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
At the beginning of the year the streets here in Atlanta completely froze over to the point where people were ice skating and sledding in the middle of the roads. I swear if it happens again this winter I'm doing this and harassing the city streets until it melts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roTy9oK1hP4

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Deeters posted:

Between that and the seemingly completely fog proof regular visor, it's my favorite helmet.

This is why my next helmet will be a shark s900 or visior-r.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

interesting about the pinlocks in the US, I remember reading a website or magazine somewhere that said they were virtually unknown there. My AGV GP-Tech has a nice large open section in the mouth area and combined with a less-than-airtight visor seal, plenty of airflow gets in there to make it essentially fog free. I need to be doing some serious mouth breathing to fog it up. Much better than my old Shoei.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Odette posted:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it ... saved myself like 30-40 USD.

I got a good deal on the helmet (thanks to a 10% off coupon on here), so I wouldn't even mind buying one if I could find it, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells a pinlock shield for the qwest. I guess I could just get the kit to put it on myself though.

Odette posted:

Just out of curiosity, is your avatar supposed to be a reference to The Ramones' "I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" or something?

Yeah, it's from when those free pony avatars were going around and it was the first thing that popped into my head. I don't watch the show, but I am gay for unicorns.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Argh! I lost the photolog of the guy's dad that toured France, Austria, etc. in the 50s. They were on old triumphs and nortons and were british as piss, brewing tea and smoking cigarettes and wearing suits through the whole thing.

It was from the last couple of months, too, and I can't seem to narrow it down in a search. Please help?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Argh! I lost the photolog of the guy's dad that toured France, Austria, etc. in the 50s. They were on old triumphs and nortons and were british as piss, brewing tea and smoking cigarettes and wearing suits through the whole thing.

It was from the last couple of months, too, and I can't seem to narrow it down in a search. Please help?

http://www.go-faster.com/SS100.html

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Just got notice of the two major toy runs in my area. I've ridden in large groups a lot, though typically these days I only ride with a couple of people but I love toy runs.

Gonna get dressed up for it and decorate the SV. I'll post embarrassing pics later this month.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just got my M2, in Ontario that means I can now ride with a passenger, ride on highways, and ride at night.

I threw a chicky on the back seat, and holy poo poo, huge difference. If my gs500 was't struggling, it certainly was working overtime. Notable decrease in handling, acceleration, deceleration (as expected, I guess).

Guess it's much less of an issue for bigger bikes/engines?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nope, it's pretty much always poo poo. Yay, skinning knuckles cracking out the C-spanners!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The only girl I've ever had pillion was like 90 lbs so there was a less noticeable difference than a full bag of gear or something. Too bad that didn't last. My current girlfriend won't get near the thing because she's convinced a semi is going to just run her over the second she touches it. I did get her to agree though, that if I got a sidecar and she could hop in it with her dog, she'd do it. I'm seriously considering looking into that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SlightlyMadman posted:

The only girl I've ever had pillion was like 90 lbs so there was a less noticeable difference than a full bag of gear or something. Too bad that didn't last. My current girlfriend won't get near the thing because she's convinced a semi is going to just run her over the second she touches it. I did get her to agree though, that if I got a sidecar and she could hop in it with her dog, she'd do it. I'm seriously considering looking into that.

My girlfriend has agreed to the sidecar idea as well, despite definitely hearing me talk about how dangerous they are.

My passenger experiences have probably been even more dramatic than most of yours. When you're on a 250lb scooter with primitive suspension and 10hp, things get lovely fast. My Stella handles it a lot better than my Vino 125 did, but having occupants that (combined) weigh more than the vehicle is never a good idea.

I see scooters in the same family as my Stella and though they look awesome and I really want one, I can barely imagine how slow they are.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 1, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, that's the cutest thing I've ever seen! :3:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I somehow sprained my hip a couple weeks ago and so while I can ride without too much pain the position somehow makes it hurt after I get off the bike.

I haven't ridden for a while, except yesterday to check that yep - it still hurts.

This sucks, I really want to get out and ride in the last fleeting days of good weather..

I am looking forward to next year when the track season starts up again. I am resolved to try hit at least 1-2 days per month. I just hope that my stupid hip is healed up well enough by then that a day of moving around on the bike doesn't obliterate it...

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I lane split past two separate cops this morning, and no longer feel paranoid that they're going to catch me and give me a ticket for it. I guess one of the nice things about Baltimore is that as long as you're not actively murdering somebody while you're doing something else illegal, they probably don't care. I think being on a standard helps too, since instead of either looking like a gang member or a sport bike holligan, I just remind most people of their dad or uncle in the 70s.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Me and three buddies have fairly recently started riding motorbikes. Two of them have had theirs stolen already(brand new RS125, YZF-r125) and the other (brand new YZF-r125) has had his steering lock busted in but thankfully they weren't able to get past the chain/disc lock.

loving depressing.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Frankston posted:

Me and three buddies have fairly recently started riding motorbikes. Two of them have had theirs stolen already(brand new RS125, YZF-r125) and the other (brand new YZF-r125) has had his steering lock busted in but thankfully they weren't able to get past the chain/disc lock.

loving depressing.

I'm going to guess you're in the UK, probably London.

Get different bikes, little pikeys love those YZFs. Otherwise, invest in an Almax Series III/IV.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Frankston posted:

loving depressing.

Jesus christ.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

_Dav posted:

Get different bikes, little pikeys love those YZFs. Otherwise, invest in an Almax Series III/IV.

I'm guessing more northern and smaller in size... Bike crime is still a big deal here, but in the city it tends to be more organized and targeted (ie transit van and a cutting disc). Those 125s are still pretty hot property though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm in the UK, West Midlands to be precise. My bike is an XR125 and it's stored in the back garden in a cul-de-sac so there's no real risk of theft there, especially because it's a pain in the arse to get it in and out.

But yeah, I refused to buy a brand new 125 when I'd be moving to a bigger bike not too long afterward. My buddy who had the Aprilia has now bought a new CBR125 so has now spent around £9k on his 'first bike'.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I winterized my bike (filled up gas, STA-BIL, took out battery) yesterday. Sad, sad day. :( I wish I still lived in TX.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

I winterized my bike (filled up gas, STA-BIL, took out battery) yesterday. Sad, sad day. :( I wish I still lived in TX.

Did that yesterday. Now I'll have motorcycle batteries in the corner of my office all winter, alternately being tendered and taunting me. Why do I still live in ND?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm in Minnesota, and thinking about parking the bike tomorrow. They're forecasting rain/show showers tomorrow, but then the weather clears up for another week. Maybe I'll drive the car for just one day...

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Yeah, I'm in Iowa. Same poo poo here. It's not supposed to get out of the 40s for the foreseeable future. Born and raised in TX, and I decided to pick up motorcycling in Iowa. WTF is wrong with me. Ugh.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, I'm in Iowa. Same poo poo here. It's not supposed to get out of the 40s for the foreseeable future. Born and raised in TX, and I decided to pick up motorcycling in Iowa. WTF is wrong with me. Ugh.

At least it's consistent. It's tough here in TX where you get 80 degrees deep into winter and with random spurts of 50 degree days that are impossible to get used to until it drops all the sudden to 20 and windy every day.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JP Money posted:

At least it's consistent. It's tough here in TX where you get 80 degrees deep into winter and with random spurts of 50 degree days that are impossible to get used to until it drops all the sudden to 20 and windy every day.

Yeah, I remember that poo poo. At least you can layer when it's 50! In about 3 weeks, it'll be 5 degrees with 15mph north winds and snowing. And it won't get better until March. Ugh. :(

I miss my SV already.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
As long as there isn't snow or ice on the ground I ride all year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

front wing flexing posted:

As long as there isn't snow or ice on the ground I ride all year.
Same and it's great.

Was a balmy 36 on the way into work today, great riding weather.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've been the only bike in the garage (not too difficult since there's at most three in the summer anyways) for weeks now, and those poor bastards just missed a beautiful morning. With the DST change, the sun had a chance to warm things up a bit, and it was up around 50 this morning with the sun shining. Hopefully it'll last at least another week or two like this.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Fangs404 posted:

40s is fine motorcycling weather. Barring ice or snow once it gets less than 20 is when I hang up the keys.

Where in Iowa are you? There's a few C.A. people around this godforesaken state.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yea, as long as you have proper gear aware aware of the temperature, you can ride well into November. I uusally park the bike for good around Thanksgiving, and start riding again in late March, depending how the roads are. If there's a lot of snow or ice buildup, I usually wait until its all melted.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Don't really need to winterize in the PNW, I keep my bike on a tender and topped up with some stabil in the tank. As long as I am A-OK getting wet, that means I can pretty much ride whenever. 40 is my cutoff temp. Icy spots like to hang around in the morning when its colder than that.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

needknees posted:

40s is fine motorcycling weather. Barring ice or snow once it gets less than 20 is when I hang up the keys.

Where in Iowa are you? There's a few C.A. people around this godforesaken state.

40s is fine as long as you have the right gear. I only have 2 jackets - a mesh jacket and a perforated leather jacket. It's drat cold without something to block the wind even with an Under Armour shirt and hoodie under the leather jacket. The wind just eats right through it. I don't have the money to buy new gear now which is why I retired the bike. Next year, though, I plan on buying a non-perforated leather jacket so that I can ride right up until it starts snowing.

I'm in Iowa City. You? Who else is in IA?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

_Dav posted:

Not sure it's the travellers. And anyway, what would they be doing in Camden (or wherever)?

My mother in law had a chained up pony trap stolen (now who would want one of them?) from the same barn my KDX was in, and they didn't even bother cutting the lock off the bike. More likely to be just your average ordinary thieving scrote or a professional, given that the YZFs are 4 grand's worth of 125.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

40s is fine as long as you have the right gear. I only have 2 jackets - a mesh jacket and a perforated leather jacket. It's drat cold without something to block the wind even with an Under Armour shirt and hoodie under the leather jacket. The wind just eats right through it. I don't have the money to buy new gear now which is why I retired the bike. Next year, though, I plan on buying a non-perforated leather jacket so that I can ride right up until it starts snowing.

Polk County here.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Fangs404 posted:

Layers man!

I have a perf'd leather jacket that I throw a carhart over the top of, throw on a pair of my old BDU pants over my jeans, and off I go. Optional long-johns depending on exactly *how* cold it is, and I'm good down to about 30 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Been wearing my long johns since the start of October, and I've got a H&M patterned hoodie that I toss under my perforated Stinger jacket. I look good indeed. :mmmsmug:

I'm still using my perforated gloves, though. When it gets too numbingly cold to use those gloves, then it's salting time for the roads. And that's when I stop. :(

I've been insanely craving for 1000cc vtwin action. My naked SV650 has been my focus for the past month, thanks to its supreme handling and roadability. But I want more than 70 horsepower. :supaburn:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 9, 2011