Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's a really strange perspective. I agree that the chatlogs do a lot to characterise the characters, but each of the troll's individual typing quirks can also be adapted to their clothes. Their outfits are varied enough that even to the casual observer, they should be able to tell the difference between say, Vriska and Feferi, or Karkat and Equius.

Same with the kids really. It's actually quite interesting how well characterised the sprites are with only a few small cosmetic changes, especially with the kids when it was mostly monochrome. At least the trolls have a certain style or colours associated with them.

The problem (other than the fact that a lot of cosplayers are lazy bums and the majority of troll cosplay defaults to "black wig, black shirt, gray skin, horns") is that it's not a matter of being able to differentiate between two characters, it's a matter of being able to pick out individual characters from among a crowd of similar ones. If we had only ever had the 4 initial trolls outside observers would probably have been able to keep track of "normal guy, normal girl, red glasses girl, giant horns mohawk guy", but with all twelve (plus whatever goofy batshit variations cosplayers come up with) it's no great surprise that they wind up being one big blur to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Gabriel Pope posted:

plus whatever goofy batshit variations cosplayers come up with

Please don't tell me people cosplay their fantrolls...

They do, don't they? :negative:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

I don't know if this is a fantroll or what, but I saw this one at the most recent Otakon and couldn't quite figure out who she was supposed to be.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kakumei posted:

I don't know if this is a fantroll or what, but I saw this one at the most recent Otakon and couldn't quite figure out who she was supposed to be.

Looks like some variant on a female Eridan.

Why the gently caress do I know this :negative:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

You have to ask? :smith:

I haven't even seen one, yet I know they're out there. If people will make their own fantroll, and they will cosplay real ones...

The only saving grace is that the retarded fantroll horns some people come up with probably aren't easy to make. Hopefully. Maybe.

[Edit] Welp ^^^

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Fantroll spotted :smith:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kakumei posted:

I'm not sure if this is what that particular cosplayer was going for, but my first thought upon seeing that outfit was "Batterwitch".

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm not sure if this is what that particular cosplayer was going for, but my first thought upon seeing that outfit was "Batterwitch".

I think you meant "Butterwitch".

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'll admit, I've briefly entertained the notion of dressed up as a troll for Halloween or something like that. But I don't have the hair to match any of the girls, I don't really have anything in the way of good props, :effort: and it would make me be an enormous tool forever.

Anybody stupid enough to dress up as a fantroll deserves to be punched on sight, though.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I can't stop watching Cascade. The whole section from Rose and Dave going into Derse until zooming in on Alternia and Slick/Snowman's showdown is fantastic. The art, animation and music during the splitting of the tumor evoke this feeling of how alien what they (and we) are witnessing.

I guess that would be my easy mode response. Hard mode, off the top of my head, Dave and Equius' rap battle.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I think you meant "Butterwitch".

Well to be fair, batter is made with lots of butter, flour, eggs, sugar, and usually even more unhealthy stuff, THEREFORE,

:goonsay:

Lord of Laughton posted:

I can't stop watching Cascade. The whole section from Rose and Dave going into Derse until zooming in on Alternia and Slick/Snowman's showdown is fantastic. The art, animation and music during the splitting of the tumor evoke this feeling of how alien what they (and we) are witnessing.

I feel the same way about it. I watched it many many times already. I just love the way concepts are related visually, like the example you cited and everything. It's just a really, really well-done flash, even if the nitty-gritty technical details of the animation itself aren't amazing. The overall effect is what gets me so much.

I've also been listening to Volume 8 in order on repeat pretty much since it came out. I normally would have started mixing it back up by now, but this time, I like the arrangement enough to just let it go through the whole thing in order. I only took out Airtime and Arcade Thunder for being kinda boring and How Do I Live for being, well... How Do I Live. :v:

It's been a good week for Homestuck, that's for sure.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone's already said this, but the first page that elevated Homestuck in my mind from "meh, it's okay but Problem Sleuth was better" to "wait a second, this might actually be good" was the first Strife page with John and Dad. I've always had a soft spot for really well-done chiptunes, and Showtime pretty much blew my mind (my favorite by now is probably Pumpkin Cravings of course :spooky:).

Hard mode would probably be Gamzee sobering up. I liked him before as a throwaway chill motherfucker and the only likeable juggalo found anywhere in life or fiction, and he remained my favorite character even after we found out what he's like after the pie wears off. It was a really great way to introduce a new threat to the trolls (since Eridan never counted as one) and to keep Gamzee relevant. I think I'm pretty much alone in having this opinion, but I don't mind. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

That said I'm STILL not sure how I feel about him being the one to get moirailed instead of Vriska. Not that I was her hugest fan for most of her existence, of course, but she really could have gotten her showboating rear end calmed right the gently caress down just as easily as Gamzee had. All it would have taken is Kanaya finding her on that roof instead of Terezi, and she was much closer to redemption than Gamzee was or is.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 31, 2011

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Lord of Laughton posted:

I guess that would be my easy mode response. Hard mode, off the top of my head, Dave and Equius' rap battle.

I can't stop listening to Cascade. Black Rose / Green Sun and Savior of the Dreaming Dead were already good songs but Cascade is just great.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Woahh the Jailbreak album is really sweet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

loquacius posted:

That said I'm STILL not sure how I feel about him being the one to get moirailed instead of Vriska. Not that I was her hugest fan for most of her existence, of course, but she really could have gotten her showboating rear end calmed right the gently caress down just as easily as Gamzee had. All it would have taken is Kanaya finding her on that roof instead of Terezi, and she was much closer to redemption than Gamzee was or is.
Kanaya had her chance, after the showdown, to get Vriska to calm the gently caress down and play nice. In the end, Vriska's impulse to get her fight on against Jack was just too strong, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Kanaya had her chance, after the showdown, to get Vriska to calm the gently caress down and play nice. In the end, Vriska's impulse to get her fight on against Jack was just too strong, though.

It wasn't just her impulse. She'd spent so long planning out this encounter that she felt obligated to go along with it even when alternatives started presenting themselves and she no longer personally felt like seeing her plans through.

That's part of what I liked about her character arc's conclusion - after spending so much time with ALL THE IRONS in ALL THE FIRES and manipulating events to make her appear to be the driving force behind everything, Vriska's plans get so huge and inevitable that they co-opt even her in the end, and lead to her undoing.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
The pre-Scratch/post-Scratch stuff shouldn't be so hard. Yes, the hard reset has occurred. However, the pre-Scratch universe still existed, and things which left it before the reset have a coherent history going back into that pre-Scratch world. No contradiction there. From the perspective of paradox space, there are two Earths now, pre-Scratch and post-Scratch. Jack destroyed the pre-Scratch universe pretty far into its life. He hasn't touched the post-Scratch universe yet.

If you're wondering where the frog with the new universe is, you're still not thinking with the tools the story has given us. It's the *same universe* with a different history starting at another point. Thus, you can think of the post-Scratch universe as a new history for the same genesis frog.

It is a second history, a new alpha timeline distinct from the old one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is the most logical view of the events and how they relate to each other, but I guess I just really feel the need to see it visually confirmed in the comic itself. That is, that the the scratch has literally revived Bilious Slick. That he was killed but that only affected the universe's timeline at the very end is probably a given, but what the scratch has explicitly done with regards to Bilious Slick's current life/death status I'm not sure is completely clear just yet. But I do think what you have said is the correct interpretation of the events.

I'm also really curious how there might have been some potential interference from the post-scratch universe into the pre-scratch universe, I don't think the mechanics of such a phenomenon have been explored yet. I'm talking about things like Jade's penpal mostly, assuming it is Grandpa Harley.

I guess we also need to see how the broken Deringer, Echidna's Quills, Ahab's Crosshairs, and Zillyhoo wind up in J's hands as well.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

voting third party posted:

I can't stop listening to Cascade. Black Rose / Green Sun and Savior of the Dreaming Dead were already good songs but Cascade is just great.

It should be noted that apparently the version of Black Rose / Green Sun heard during [S]Cascade was remixed heavily enough that it's considered its own song and is listed as Black Hole / Green Sun.

But yes, both versions are fantastic. I especially love the crescendos in the remix, particularly the strings that play over Rose and Dave's god tier reveal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gabriel Pope posted:

Not necessarily; Kanaya's tried to reason with Vriska before and it hasn't worked, and it's possible that Karkat's shooshing efforts may have been bolstered by his title as the Knight of Blood. From Greek medical humor theory we get the word "sanguine", which literally means "bloody" but which is more commonly used to describe a chill, content demeanor; maybe Karkat's Hero of Blood power is DOING THE SHOOSHY THING.
Karkat's Hero of Blood power may literally be Being The Troll Messiah. That is, uniting the various different bloodlines of the trolls, and keeping the team together and functional as long as possible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

If you're wondering where the frog with the new universe is, you're still not thinking with the tools the story has given us. It's the *same universe* with a different history starting at another point. Thus, you can think of the post-Scratch universe as a new history for the same genesis frog.

It is a second history, a new alpha timeline distinct from the old one.
Well, the issue with that is... if it's the same universe, Jack just destroyed it too.

Though I guess that's not an issue if he destroyed it in the same was as our universe- during the exiles' time. It still feels kind of odd though- a new universe with billions of years of history, but we already know how it's been destroyed and powers the Green Sun.

Time shenanigans!

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

You're not thinking about this given the tools at hand.

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zoolooman posted:

He destroyed the universe in the pre-Scratch timeline. The Scratch creates a second, new, divergent timeline. It is to be seen whether or not Jack manages to destroy the universe in its new history, since the device likely didn't send him to the Medium in its post-Scratch timeline.

Exactly. If Dave gets killed, is Dave dead? Not the one we actually care about, certainly. I'd guess much the same applies here, though for slightly different reasons.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I thought sanguine referred to a fiery passionate person? Which Karkat clearly is, so it would still work, if differently.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

But its only Pre/Post-Scratch on the inside, Jack is now outside of the universe so why should that matter to him? I guess it really matters if the scratch just rewrites the frog or creates a new one.

In my opinion, the universe is doomed at a certain time but like others said, the universe still has a history. All the events until Jack kills BSlick will be different.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zoolooman posted:

Wait, no that doesn't make sense. Jack is "already here." "Here" being in the Trolls' incipisphere where the universe's Bilious Slick resided. He does not cease to exist at that location no more than the kids cease to exist. The scratch of the kids' universe shouldn't affect any timeline other than the universe's, meaning the troll universe, troll incipisphere, furthest ring, etc. are all unaffected. Jack does not need to be sent into the medium again because, again, he is already there.

It's the same reason why if the new universe has new iterations of the kids, it will not affect the kids who were able to escape the scratch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, no that doesn't make sense. Jack is "already here." "Here" being in the Trolls' incipisphere where the universe's Bilious Slick resided. He does not cease to exist at that location no more than the kids cease to exist. The scratch of the kids' universe shouldn't affect any timeline other than the universe's, meaning the troll universe, troll incipisphere, furthest ring, etc. are all unaffected. Jack does not need to be sent into the medium again because, again, he is already there.

It's the same reason why if the new universe has new iterations of the kids, it will not affect the kids who were able to escape the scratch.

If we're going to be dealing with Lord English inside the new universe, the destruction of the new universe is presumably still going to be a prerequisite. It's kind of elegant when you think about it; if English & co. are indeed trying to get into Earth's universe, they've already set up the summoning requirement. Lord English might not even need an alternate-universe Doc Scratch to effect his summoning in Earth now.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I thought sanguine referred to a fiery passionate person? Which Karkat clearly is, so it would still work, if differently.

I think that's more what choleric is supposed to be. At least if we're talking about Karkat-esque fiery passionate and really loving pissed. Anyhow I'd still be kind of reluctant to read too much into this bullshit.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2011

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Lord of Laughton posted:

Completely agree, I can't believe how well done that was, I'm still in shock. I love how he uses the backgrounds and the resizing flash window to really give depth to the animation. Truly a masterpiece of flash video.

On another note:

For me, Easy Mode is probably (other than Cascade) WV: Ascend, not because it's the best flash, but because it marked the moment I realized that Homestuck was no ordinary web comic and that this was going to be a hell of a ride.

Hard Mode? Probably this entire chat log. I dont think I have ever laughed so hard in my life. The characterization is just perfect.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I do think you're being a bit more definite than there is grounds to be, Zoolooman. We have very little evidence on what a universe's different timelines mean for outside observers hanging out near its frog. The trolls being unable to communicate with beta timeline kids doesn't necessarily count - the nature of the Scratch is different, and in any case we don't know exactly why that is. I think it's probably an unavoidable consequence of the nature of things, but it could also just be because Sollux had a hard enough time tuning Trollian into the alpha timeline.

Given how strongly the pre-scratch kids' alpha timeline and the post-scratch trolls' alpha timeline are intertwined, I think you might well be right, but it isn't a sure thing.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

The story goes out of its way to explain that there are multiple timelines and that a scratch makes a new, alternate one. If there are further interactions or stipulations, we are yet to see them. When they occur, we can amend our knowledge. Until then, what I've said is what the story has given us.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JT Jag posted:

...No? She had her chance after the showdown, then didn't bother.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Zoolooman posted:

The story goes out of its way to explain that there are multiple timelines and that a scratch makes a new, alternate one. If there are further interactions or stipulations, we are yet to see them. When they occur, we can amend our knowledge. Until then, what I've said is what the story has given us.

The point where people are disagreeing is that inside the frog and outside the frog are separate timeline bundles. The scratch makes a new in-frog alpha timeline. What does that mean outside the frog? Search me. You're suggesting that it creates an entire new meta-timeline where the frog itself did not originate in the troll session, or that it wholly or partly resets the troll session as well, or something of the kind. It's certainly an option, but it also is not part of what the story has explicitly given us.

King of Solomon posted:

...No? She had her chance after the showdown, then didn't bother.

I don't think she even knew Vriska was going to do something as stupid as going after Jack directly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I don't think she even knew Vriska was going to do something as stupid as going after Jack directly.

At that point, she might not have even cared (well, beyond the consequences of Vriska's choice, obviously.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

He destroyed the universe in the trolls incipisphere, well outside of any pre or post Scratch universe. There's no timeline that naturally flows from our universe into the Trolls' universe to be reset. Jack jumped ship.

It's like how the Dave that became Davesprite could travel back from a doomed timeline and still exist in the alpha timeline. Doesn't matter that time's been rewritten, he is already here.

And just look at it this way, if there's a new timeline where Jack doesn't exist and doesn't destroy the universe... and if there's only one Universe Frog in the Trolls session... then the reset would mean Bilious Slick was fine, and that would reset the existence of the Green Sun!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Considering that Jack's attack on Bilious Slick didn't occur in universe time until hundreds of years after all life on Earth was destroyed, there's plenty of time for the time in universe to be reversed and play out again before Slick's attack gets there.

Assuming that's even something that's relevant. I doubt it is since then English wouldn't have a nice new universe to play with (or would he????).

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

King of Solomon posted:

At that point, she might not have even cared (well, beyond the consequences of Vriska's choice, obviously.)

At this point she'll curbstomp anything that tries to gently caress with her anyway.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
My hard mode choice is a simple one, but I really like everything from this to this. It's a really simple string of images, but the sense of scale it represents blew my mind when I first saw it. As an introduction to Feferi's character, it kinda blew my mind a little at a point when my interest was starting to wane - Hivebent was a rough ride and the huge text dumps were hard to penetrate, and this managed to convince me it was worth sticking with.

My easy mode choice is [S] ACT 5 ACT 2 ==>. The music is one of my favorite tracks, and the way it all slowly culminates as Karkat goes through a range of emotions before finally settling on kismisetude. It's sweet, and its placement right at the start of act 5 part 2 is the perfect way of tying the trolls stories and the kids stories together.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Ice_Mallet posted:

Wasn't Dream Cal able to move by himself? Is that a property of Derse/Dave's fear or can Cal actually do that wherever? Just a part that confused me.

Cal can only move when nobody is looking at him. :unsmigghh:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kanaya didn't so much try to reason with her as nag her to clean up her room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Andrew Hussie's Tumblr posted:

All of western Mass. lost power the other night because of some sort of absurd spooky pre-Halloween snowstorm. Yesterday morning I figured it’d probably take a week or so to fix the grid so I immediately got the hell out of dodge. Staying with people in Boston for a while.

I was planning on posting something today, but I guess that’ll be delayed somewhat. Maybe. I’ll see what I can do.
http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/12173723924

Glad he managed to get himself somewhere with power, at least, even if he may not be adding any content.