Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

No Safe Word posted:

Ladainian Tomlinson should never have been called LT, he was LdT or LDT. LT means two possible things in football and neither of them is Ladainian Tomlinson and only one is a person.

The one true LT:

It sounds like that Derrick Thomas argument is basically: one guy (LT) comes in with a radical new skillset and strategy for his position, has astounding success while offenses struggle to adjust to this new threat. Then another guy (DT) comes in with similar skills, but after teams have learned to scheme against such a player, yet he still manages nearly the same level of production.

Taylor was definitely the innovator, but I can see where there'd be argument for Thomas being an equal or better athlete, given that by then opponents were much more prepared for him. I don't know the stats/haven't really watched either of them play enough to make the judgement myself, but I see the logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chifley posted:

Could people in this thread please give a player's real name instead of/along with the nickname when talking about somebody who retired 20 years ago? It was pretty confusing for a minute trying to work out why someone called Joe Gibbs was trying to stop LaDainian Tomlinson from ruining his QBs.

(The LT they are talking about is a nyg linebacker called Lawrence Taylor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Taylor )

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not, but given that this is the FAQ thread I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Lawrence Taylor is arguably the greatest defensive player in the history of football, won Super Bowls, played in NY and became somewhat notorious for his life off the field. LT is synonymous with Lawrence Taylor, it is famously known to be his nickname not just a thing people do on the internet to save time.

Joe Gibbs is also one of the more notable coaches in NFL history. During his tenure the Redskins were always competing for the postseason against the Giants (which is why he'd be interested in stopping LT from breaking his QB's legs.)

Granted this is the questions thread, it's assumed that everyone reading is familiar with the greatest pass rushing LB in football history and a 3 time super bowl winning coach.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I should also note that even people who buy that argument I posted about Derrick Thomas still think LT was the superior player (it's only about rushing the passer, LT was hell against the run too). If you catch any old highlights of Taylor on NFL Network or wherever they'll be worth watching, he was completely ridiculous.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
LT also called DT the next LT, for what it's worth.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ladainian Tomlinson called Daniel Thomas the next Ladainian Tomlinson?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYJE_IaW1c

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

McKracken posted:

Granted this is the questions thread, it's assumed that everyone reading is familiar with the greatest pass rushing LB in football history and a 3 time super bowl winning coach.

I think this thread is also for people who are completely new to football, because if you know about LT the LB then why do you need to read about what a quarterback and halfback are in the OP?

Although I agree that people like Taylor or Theisman (not their coming together) should be outlined in the OP.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Uncle Jam posted:

I think this thread is also for people who are completely new to football, because if you know about LT the LB then why do you need to read about what a quarterback and halfback are in the OP?

Although I agree that people like Taylor or Theisman (not their coming together) should be outlined in the OP.

I think even knowing that this is the thread for people new to the game or casual fans looking to learn more, most posters are going to assume they don't need to give a preface every time a player or coach is mentioned in relation to discussion of another topic, especially when the player in question is one of the most famous athletes to play one of the 4 major american sports.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with questions about specific players, but the original series of posts were about pass protection and the left tackle position, LT was only a corollary to that main discussion.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

McKracken posted:

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not, but given that this is the FAQ thread I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Lawrence Taylor is arguably the greatest defensive player in the history of football, won Super Bowls, played in NY and became somewhat notorious for his life off the field. LT is synonymous with Lawrence Taylor, it is famously known to be his nickname not just a thing people do on the internet to save time.

Joe Gibbs is also one of the more notable coaches in NFL history. During his tenure the Redskins were always competing for the postseason against the Giants (which is why he'd be interested in stopping LT from breaking his QB's legs.)

Dude, you really can't assume that. I live in Australia and have only been following the NFL for about 5 years, during which team many posts in this forum have called LdT 'LT', probably because that is an accepted nickname for the guy - whether you think it should be or not. There is also that song 'LT style electric glide' which is about LdT. You'll forgive me I'm sure if I then associated the nickname LT with him and not some player who retired years before I started watching the game.

This thread has been highly useful for me, and I don't think it is a big deal for people in the Football Funhouse Rookie Thread to drop a player's fullname the first time they use a nickname so that people who haven't grown up following the NFL can still follow the conversation.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chifley posted:

This thread has been highly useful for me, and I don't think it is a big deal for people in the Football Funhouse Rookie Thread to drop a player's fullname the first time they use a nickname so that people who haven't grown up following the NFL can still follow the conversation.

While this thread is for people completely new to football, it's also the default thread for questions about scheme, strategy, history, personnel and any other random topics that don't belong in the N/V threads, and consequently the level of discussion is often times above bare basics.

I can appreciate your confusion due to people misusing LT as a abbreviation for Tomlinson, but I knew full well the user my post was addressed to would understand me and frankly that's all I was concerned with given that I was referring to a hall of fame player active during many of our lifetimes. For the few foreign fans that grew up without LT as an icon of sports culture, I'm more than happy to explain if something I've posted confuses someone.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

quote:

but I knew full well the user my post was addressed to would understand me and frankly that's all I was concerned with given that I was referring to a hall of fame player active during many of our lifetimes.

See that's the problem.

On this page alone there is:
LT- Left Tackle
LT- Lawrence Taylor
LT- Ladainian Tomlinson

It IS loving confusing especially for someone trying to learn about the game.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
And now it's been explained that by default LT is Lawrence Taylor. New fans have learned something!

Edit: In case it comes up, "Joe Montana" is not a generic name for quarterbacks from the Midwest. He was a real person.

Edit 2: I guess Montana isn't really midwest so much as just west.

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 1, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McKracken posted:

This is a newbie thread. Assuming that people know who someone is even by mentioning their full name, much less their initials, is a pretty bad assumption.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pasaluki posted:

See that's the problem.

On this page alone there is:
LT- Left Tackle
LT- Lawrence Taylor
LT- Ladainian Tomlinson

It IS loving confusing especially for someone trying to learn about the game.

The Real LT.

Lawrence Tynes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In reality if we screw up and don't explain something well enough to be understood just ask. No one should be making fun of you for asking any (football related) question in this thread.

There are enough weird football history guys floating around who like to talk about Lawrence Taylor and other people and what they meant to the game (or in my case what I've heard that they mean to the game) that you're doing us a favor as often as not.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Blast from the past. Have updated the OP with book recommendations and cleared out some of the links from last season.

Will scroll back through the past pages and look for any effortposts to add.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Can somebody explain to me if there are any advanced stats worth giving a gently caress about. Keep in mind that I will obstinately ignore them if they don't match up with my preconceived notions based mostly on dim memories of Mel Kiper Jr.'s evaluations and the skin color and apparent demeanor of the player.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Last April in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons made big waves by making a big trade with the Cleveland Browns to move up to take WR Julio Jones out of Alabama.

The Falcons gave up a boatload to get Jones. I was at the draft covering it for Arrowhead Addict and I was shocked at the time. I thought it was a colossally stupid trade and that the Falcons gave up way too much. After all, this was a receiver we were talking about, not a QB.

The Falcons moved from #27 to #6. To do so, they traded that 27th pick, as well as their second and fourth round picks in 2011 and first and fourth round picks in 2012.

Before making the move, Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff called up his old friend Bill Belichick to ask his advice.

According to the book “War Room’’ by Michael Holley, Belichick told Dimitroff to stay at #27 and to draft, you guessed it, Jonathan Baldwin.

We all know what happened next. Dimitroff decided to go for it and he got his man. The Kansas City Chiefs, however, also traded with the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland moved to the 21st spot to take DT Phil Taylor and the Chiefs slid back to #26 to take…yep, Jonathan Baldwin.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Bellichick obviously thought that the Falcons were going to give up too much to get Jones. He also must have thought pretty highly of Baldwin to recommend him as a comparable selection to Jones.

Jones has missed a couple of games with a hamstring injury this season but he has been fairly productive for the Falcons when he has played. In five games he has 25 catches for 358 yards and no touchdowns.

Meanwhile Baldwin, who has only played in two games, has six catches for 96 yards and one TD.

So the Falcons gave up a second and fourth round picks in 2011 and first and fourth round picks in 2012 to take Julio Jones and the Chiefs gained a third rounder, which they used to pick Justin Houston who is currently starting at linebacker for the Chiefs as a rookie and looks extremely promising.

Nicely done, Atlanta.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Pro tip: If you don't know anything about a player mentioned in a thread, check youtube or NFL.com. The NFL is the best league in the world at constructing narratives and doing historical pieces on players, from Night Train Lane to Lawrence Taylor. If you've never seen Dick Butkus try to kill a man on the field, you are missing out. If you've never seen the 1970s Raiders play the 1970s Steelers (and the carnage that resulted), you owe it to yourself to look up the pieces that the NFL has put together.

"Lynn Swann? Soft."

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Blackula69 posted:

Pro tip: If you don't know anything about a player mentioned in a thread, check youtube or NFL.com. The NFL is the best league in the world at constructing narratives and doing historical pieces on players, from Night Train Lane to Lawrence Taylor. If you've never seen Dick Butkus try to kill a man on the field, you are missing out. If you've never seen the 1970s Raiders play the 1970s Steelers (and the carnage that resulted), you owe it to yourself to look up the pieces that the NFL has put together.

"Lynn Swann? Soft."

My dad worked with a guy named Charlie Scales who was a fullback for a few years in the 60's, mostly with Pittsburgh and Cleveland. He told the story about how the first play of a game, he cut-block Dick Butkus (based on their careers, this probably would've been 1965, Butkus' rookie year). Scales said it was the longest day of his life because no matter where the play was designed to go, Butkus would run across the field if he had to in order to deck him what seemed like EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Can somebody explain to me if there are any advanced stats worth giving a gently caress about. Keep in mind that I will obstinately ignore them if they don't match up with my preconceived notions based mostly on dim memories of Mel Kiper Jr.'s evaluations and the skin color and apparent demeanor of the player.

Along these lines, I'm trying to get a little more well versed in the Football Outsiders stuff. Fangraphs has a nice article for baseball stats on how large of a sample size you need for various stats to become reliable or significant. Does anything like this exist for the FO stats?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm also very curious as to how statistical analysis works in football.

I'm a bit familiar with sabermetrics in baseball and was an avid Baseball Prospectus reader for a few years. The thing with baseball is the central "contest" is batter vs pitcher. Yes, there are variables with defense alignment and runners on base and park factors but those are all kind of ancillary to the man-vs-man contest.

With 22 players on the field every play, the relatively few "contests" or plays per game, so many philosophies on either side and the literally thousands of formation-vs-formation possibilities, is it really possible to break down football this way? Or are there just too many variables from game-to-game and too few plays per game to do it properly?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't follow the advanced stats that much. They are a constantly changing and evolving field in football, though. DVOA (Defence value above replacement) is a pretty popular one, I believe. If you want to help contribute, it is definitely an open field. It might also be fun for you to take a look at some of the "Moon Polls" in this forum. They are attempts at ranking teams using just the stats for the current season.

However, there is still one simple stat (that isn't directly related to score) that most correlates to a win: turnovers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kibner posted:

I don't follow the advanced stats that much. They are a constantly changing and evolving field in football, though. DVOA (Defence value above replacement) is a pretty popular one, I believe. If you want to help contribute, it is definitely an open field. It might also be fun for you to take a look at some of the "Moon Polls" in this forum. They are attempts at ranking teams using just the stats for the current season.

However, there is still one simple stat (that isn't directly related to score) that most correlates to a win: turnovers.

It's interesting you say that, because past turnovers don't really correlate to future turnovers since there's so much luck involved. So except in really broad strokes, turnovers don't have good predictive value at all.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jeffersonlives posted:

It's interesting you say that, because past turnovers don't really correlate to future turnovers since there's so much luck involved. So except in really broad strokes, turnovers don't have good predictive value at all.

True. I look at it as more of a per-game basis, thing. Like, if you looked at a box score and could only look at one stat (besides actual scores) to see who won, turnovers would be your best bet. But they are fluky and hard to reproduce (much to the dismay of my local Saints :().

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
Is there anywhere I can look up the historical homefield advantage?

Not of any specific team, I'm just wondering what the win-loss ratio for home teams over the last decade, or all-time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chifley posted:

Is there anywhere I can look up the historical homefield advantage?

Not of any specific team, I'm just wondering what the win-loss ratio for home teams over the last decade, or all-time.

Pro-football-reference's search tool owns a lot.

For example, here's every team's record at home since 2000 (the ties are unplayed games from this season), also click on the column headers to sort.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...er_by=game_date

Ranges from

Patriots: 72-19 to Lions: 35-57.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

Kalli posted:

Pro-football-reference's search tool owns a lot.

For example, here's every team's record at home since 2000 (the ties are unplayed games from this season), also click on the column headers to sort.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...er_by=game_date

Ranges from

Patriots: 72-19 to Lions: 35-57.

Sweet, thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Who's got better prices than NFL.com for hats? Specifically, I'm looking for the Patriots breast cancer awareness one with the blue bill, since the one with the pink bill is the mesh trucker style.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Detective Thompson posted:

Who's got better prices than NFL.com for hats? Specifically, I'm looking for the Patriots breast cancer awareness one with the blue bill, since the one with the pink bill is the mesh trucker style.

Have you tried their proshop? I don't know if that is what you mean by nfl.com
http://proshop.patriots.com/hats/

This looks like what you want:
http://proshop.patriots.com/p/2011-player-bca-flexfit-cap/pid/35353/sdid/105/pdid/105/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, I meant the proshop. I was just wondering if any other online retailers had the hat for a better price. I checked out Amazon and Lids and a couple of the big sports stores, but I think only one of them even had that exact hat and it was the same price. I was just hoping maybe somebody knew of a site that had them a little cheaper. If not, I'll just stick with the proshop.

Edit: Whoops, I meant NFL.com's shopping section, not the Patriots' ProShop, but it's the same price at both places.

Edit again: Can anyone suggest any good Green Bay area sports writers with articles about the Packers online? I'd like to read more about them from a local's perspective.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 9, 2011

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Detective Thompson posted:

Edit again: Can anyone suggest any good Green Bay area sports writers with articles about the Packers online? I'd like to read more about them from a local's perspective.

Bob McGinn is a Packers beat writer from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, been doing it a longtime and is recognized as one of the best in the NFL. He does a podcast with Peter King now, and I'm surprised he hasn't been picked up by ESPN or SI.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

McKracken posted:

You're being massively presumptuous. Someone in a newbie/rookie thread asks you to not use acronyms, especially confusing ones like LT which stand for multiple things, and you just arrogantly insist everyone who posts in here should know what you're talking about? They don't. I've followed football pretty actively for 5 years and had never heard of Joe Gibbs. The majority of posters on here are under 30 and don't even have memories of when he was coaching, and likewise with Lawrence Taylor. He is a legend, but not nearly close to a household name like Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan. I wouldn't expect the casual football fan to know who Lawrence Taylor is.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 14, 2011

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

He is a legend, but not nearly close to a household name like Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan. I wouldn't expect the casual football fan to know who Lawrence Taylor is.

He was in the Shaft movie with Sam Jackson. He voiced a character in GTA: Vice City. He told us not to smoke crack in The Waterboy. He's pretty close to household name.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Why does the QB line up as a wideout in the Wildcat formation? Why not put a WR there? Is it to fool the defense coming out of the huddle?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hockles posted:

Why does the QB line up as a wideout in the Wildcat formation? Why not put a WR there? Is it to fool the defense coming out of the huddle?

Correct. If you saw the QB run off and a no-pass package sub in, you're going to switch to a near goal line defensive package (they have to let you sub if they sub).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Specific to the NFL, wouldn't that also screw around with the rules regarding #2 and emergency #3 QBs?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

skaboomizzy posted:

Specific to the NFL, wouldn't that also screw around with the rules regarding #2 and emergency #3 QBs?

The emergency third quarterback rule doesn't exist as of this year. You can't have your backup quarterback on the field at the same time as your starting quarterback if they both are using radio helmets, but you don't have to have a radio helmet in the game if you don't want to.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sash! posted:

See, I'm at the other end where I want to see someone line up in the Maryland I, Power I, and Delaware Wing-T.

My high school ran the Delaware Wing-T in high school, pretty boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
edit: wrong thread, sorry.

• Locked thread