Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's basically just a divine longsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So I died while helping Capra (I know) but then like 2 seconds later the boss died and I got the "You defeated!" thing and souls. Does that count as my good deed of the day? (Aka Towards the sun's faith reduction)

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I just found Astoria's Straight Sword, this thing worth upgrading? I really like the move set, and I was going for high faith this character.

Faith scales at C with almost all Divine weapons and Occult scales at B with some and C with most. Just Lightning or Fire ascend a weapon and ignore faith scaling. Enchanted weapons, however, scale at A or B consistantly and are definately worth the Int scaling.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Ahaha I just invaded someone SL1 and made them aggro Solaire from a Soul Arrow. I feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat now. (He got his revenge by me getting fried on the bridge by the dragon, Fire still hurts even though nothing eles hits you!)

Ok so that's not why I'm invading, its Halloween after all, if FromSoftware is not going to do something about it then I am.

My character to play this evening invading Burg/Parish is full Xanthos King outfit, walk slowly toward the player, casting Iron flesh, and then just stab wildly with the Ghost Dagger. I'm an unstoppable serial killer slasher!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RADmadness posted:

Faith scales at C with almost all Divine weapons and Occult scales at B with some and C with most. Just Lightning or Fire ascend a weapon and ignore faith scaling. Enchanted weapons, however, scale at A or B consistantly and are definately worth the Int scaling.

But doesn't Divine and Occult also reduce the strength and dexterity scaling? If your going for and balance of strength/dexterity and faith then its not that bad. That's how they balance it. I've been using it for my character with 22 Strength, 16 Dexterity and 30 Faith and it does like 300 damage total from the stat screen.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

RADmadness posted:

Honestly, who knows how well this advice will hold up what with the patch coming down the pipe?

Like the previous poster, I'm still a little surprised they let some of these oversights through.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I just found Astoria's Straight Sword, this thing worth upgrading? I really like the move set, and I was going for high faith this character.

It's useful if you don't feel like putting the effort into creating your own Divine weapons, as they're only useful in the Catacombs.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

qbert posted:

It's useful if you don't feel like putting the effort into creating your own Divine weapons, as they're only useful in the Catacombs.

I tend to just downgrade the occult club you get in Anor Londo. Turns it into a free +5 divine weapon that takes out skeletons in 2-3 hits.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hey Wasp, for your next playthrough think about an Axel/Bone Wheel Shield run. Actually does some pretty good damage.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Why the gently caress did they put the phantom invasion spot for the Parish on the Hellkite Dragon bridge, twice in a row I have invaded and been instantly killed by fire.

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.

Elysiume posted:

That's the pyromancer trainer. Do you want pyromancy?

For future reference, get him out by rolling.

There's no "sin balance," really, it's just 2000 x SL as the cost in souls.

Thank you all for the replies. Since I did roll a Pyromancer but have since gravitated twoards more of a melee type, I still feel I shouldn't burn my bridges.

I didn't kill him so hopefully I can grind the 56k souls without quitting the drat game first, I have the feeling I will need his services. drat, 1 accidental hit equals 56 thousand souls for forgiveness>? I hope he will still talk with me after grinding it, almost seems more worth it to start over.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Why the gently caress did they put the phantom invasion spot for the Parish on the Hellkite Dragon bridge, twice in a row I have invaded and been instantly killed by fire.

I hope that was you just now, because I laughed like a nut when it happened.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cbouncerrun posted:

Hey Wasp, for your next playthrough think about an Axel/Bone Wheel Shield run. Actually does some pretty good damage.

that is awesome

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
My dog got excited the other day when I was at the fire blacksmith on my SL120 character and bumped my R2 trigger. Bam, 300k souls and a not-fun run.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Look at the stats of a Lightning Zweihander +5

EDIT: Though it has crazy damage it's tough to use in PvP, and in PvE you really need a high poise armour for most things.

I know, I have one. It's a big slow sword though. You can get 2+ hits off a smaller weapon in the same timeframe as one Zweihander swing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just took out Timon and Pumba, solo, on my first try no less.

Feel so :smug: right now it hurts.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dogfood posted:

Thank you all for the replies. Since I did roll a Pyromancer but have since gravitated twoards more of a melee type, I still feel I shouldn't burn my bridges.

I didn't kill him so hopefully I can grind the 56k souls without quitting the drat game first, I have the feeling I will need his services. drat, 1 accidental hit equals 56 thousand souls for forgiveness>? I hope he will still talk with me after grinding it, almost seems more worth it to start over.

If you really just want to make 56k souls quickly and don't mind cheesing the game a bit, you could always just go kill a boss (the stray demon back in the asylum is popular) to get the 20k souls necessary to buy the crest of artorias. The parish blacksmith sells it. Then you just need to go into the forest and do this for a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Starting over isn't really a terrible way to go either though. The first few areas fly by in no time once you know what you're doing.

Buffer posted:

I know, I have one. It's a big slow sword though. You can get 2+ hits off a smaller weapon in the same timeframe as one Zweihander swing.

Weapon speed tends not to matter once when you kill most enemies in one hit. Some take two, but they're stunned from the first swing so it doesn't really make much of a difference. Slow weapons also tend to be a lot better once you run out of stamina, since you only need a sliver of stamina to swing anything at that point.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 1, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

I hope that was you just now, because I laughed like a nut when it happened.

Haha, it was most definitely me.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Oh man after 10+ tries I finally killed the Stray Demon. Felt so good when he died :cool: At the start he would kill me as soon as I regained control of my dude!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Alteisen posted:

Just took out Timon and Pumba, solo, on my first try no less.

Feel so :smug: right now it hurts.

Grats! What level / stats / gear / strategy employed?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Merauder posted:

Grats! What level / stats / gear / strategy employed?

SL49, Gold hemmed hood and cloak, black leather gloves and boots+5, eagle shield+7, ring of favor and havel's ring and a lightning spear.

Just took out ornstein first since he was so aggressive and left smough for last oddly enough I could block everything they could throw at me, even smough's big AOE buttstomp with minimal damage to myself, I still avoided in on reflex though then again I did notice the eagle shield has a huge lightning defense.

Just helped someone else kill them again, they took out smough this time first and left Orstein for last, same thing, could block everything with very little getting through.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
I'm fighting Sif. Is the Drake sword a bad idea? Should I have some other upgraded weapon by this time?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Sumixam posted:

I'm fighting Sif. Is the Drake sword a bad idea? Should I have some other upgraded weapon by this time?

Yeah, it'll take a bit if you use the Drake Sword and if you're not pulling off good rolls and attacking him during his animations the fight will probably drag on too long for you to survive.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Sumixam posted:

I would recommend it actually, fighting Sif before Anor Londo is pretty epic.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
^^e: What difference does that make? I did Sif before AL, but not sure what that did for me if there is a difference.

Sumixam posted:

Turns out all furry animals, even oversized ones, dislike fire. Who knew? :ssh:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Back in Tomb of the Giants, and I'm completely lost after the first bonfire. :negative:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ToG went from my least favorite area to my most favorite just now. I just went 10-2 in invasions there. It's got so much variety in terms of landscape!

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Merauder posted:

^^e: What difference does that make? I did Sif before AL, but not sure what that did for me if there is a difference.

Turns out all furry animals, even oversized ones, dislike fire. Who knew? :ssh:

How do I make fire happen? Start pyroing or upgrade a fire weapon?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Merauder posted:

Nothing specific, but generally speaking your SL skyrockets and you have more obvious access to elemental weapons at that point.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sumixam posted:

How do I make fire happen? Start pyroing or upgrade a fire weapon?

Your starting class doesn't matter, you can learn Pyromancy as any character once you rescue the trainer. I just stood under his legs and used Combustion on Sif a lot and it made the fight go pretty quick.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Nothing specific, but generally speaking your SL skyrockets and you have more obvious access to elemental weapons at that point.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought there was some story piece/event that occurs differently or something.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Holy crap I must be really lucky, because holy poo poo I've had a lot of Capra summons. I feel bad that I'm not using my pyromancer to help these people. At the very least I'm participating in JOLLY CO-OPERATION!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man O&S is such an amazingly fun fight, especially once you yourself are past it and aren't stressing about trying to progress.

I've basically just put the rest of the game on hold and parked myself in front of the boss door to help other people through it. At SL 40 I'm getting tons of summons (although wearing full Ornstein set may also help in that regard). Probably have 200-300k souls before I get bored!

Then, of course, I will somehow die somewhere and lose it all.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
There are two things that have pissed me off in this game. The Capra Demon (gently caress him), and the Darkmoon Covenant. At least in the forest covenant sometimes I find people that are low level like myself that I can battle and I have a chance. Dark Anor Lando just has people that are a billion levels higher than me or cheap as gently caress. I've been Tranquil Walk of Peace-ed out 5 times tonight, and most people the ring gets me to invade are using the Ring of Fog.

I can't seem to get the blue sphere to work anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some drat tokens in this covenant? I really just want that miracle. I'm about to start using the fog ring because I just want to get this poo poo over with.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me a decently easy way to murder the crow harpy things that drop the tokens. I can get there obviously but it takes awhile and there's too much risk of the one hit KO that results from them jumping on my head.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Brian Fellows posted:

Bonus points if anyone can tell me a decently easy way to murder the crow harpy things that drop the tokens. I can get there obviously but it takes awhile and there's too much risk of the one hit KO that results from them jumping on my head.

Side strafe like, one step when they fly up into the air and they'll miss, or just back up enough that you're out of their reach. I've never seen them turn in midair. Once I realized they had the attack, they never hit me with it again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

Side strafe like, one step when they fly up into the air and they'll miss, or just back up enough that you're out of their reach. I've never seen them turn in midair. Once I realized they had the attack, they never hit me with it again.
I thought walking closer to them also made them miss. Anyway you can also lure them up that big circular staircase and they will almost certainly fall to their death. Harpies. Falling to their death.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Brian Fellows posted:

There are two things that have pissed me off in this game. The Capra Demon (gently caress him), and the Darkmoon Covenant. At least in the forest covenant sometimes I find people that are low level like myself that I can battle and I have a chance. Dark Anor Lando just has people that are a billion levels higher than me or cheap as gently caress. I've been Tranquil Walk of Peace-ed out 5 times tonight, and most people the ring gets me to invade are using the Ring of Fog.

I can't seem to get the blue sphere to work anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some drat tokens in this covenant? I really just want that miracle. I'm about to start using the fog ring because I just want to get this poo poo over with.

Never, ever, ever use the ring that gets you summoned! You will always be facing horrible odds and overcoming them isn't worth the hassle. Being summoned that way is an invitation to be farmed for souls, I'm afraid.

As for the Blue Eye Orb, what level are you? It doesn't work as frequently as the Red Eye Orb but I got around 30 before switching covenants. There are a few good spots and the Orb seems to be much more happy to place you against people within a similar level range. As for the harpies, you can run up to that spot in the annex where four of them roam and cast Wrath of Gods three times with the miracle boost ring and Crown of Dusk but it's really boring and requires a large investment in faith (which I'm assuming you have if you want the miracle).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Brian Fellows posted:

I think I threw chaos fireballs with a +8 or +9 glove followed by a finishing electro-spear. Worked well.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Regarding the conclusion to the Siegmeyer sidestory:

Yeah, so, I totally killed his daughter at Ash Lake. I guess she killed her father the first time, then killed him when he "turned Hollow"? Bitch, he seemed fine when he was helping me kill the (final, weakened) tentacle monster!

Something wasn't right there. Not right at all. But it is now. Rest in peace, Bronion.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Uh where the heck are you supposed to go in Duke's Archive? I got like 3 keys and rescued Big Hat logan. Also went down the ladder past the Channelers and unlocked the movable bookcase and killed the mimmicks down there. The only place I seem to be able to go is back up the elevator to the unkillable-version of Seath

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Vargs posted:

Weapon speed tends not to matter once when you kill most enemies in one hit. Some take two, but they're stunned from the first swing so it doesn't really make much of a difference. Slow weapons also tend to be a lot better once you run out of stamina, since you only need a sliver of stamina to swing anything at that point.

Stamina management shouldn't be an issue, and slower weapon speed = less leeway on timing attacks(which means less leeway on pulls) and needing to rely more heavily on damage mitigation and poise to mitigate mistakes, which means pumping your SL and/or dedicating at least one ring slot. If you are parrying/backstabbing then it doesn't matter as much, but eh, I just don't like that playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

darkhand posted:

Uh where the heck are you supposed to go in Duke's Archive? I got like 3 keys and rescued Big Hat logan. Also went down the ladder past the Channelers and unlocked the movable bookcase and killed the mimmicks down there. The only place I seem to be able to go is back up the elevator to the unkillable-version of Seath

There's a lever near a brown thing on the floor near the mimic and the chests that makes stairs that go down.

In other news, I think the greatsword is way cooler looking than the zweihander, and the stab is awesome. Nobody ever talks about the greatsword.

• Locked thread