Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Captain Pike posted:

It is especially surprising considering that some of the other finalists are really, really good. http://nokiatune.audiodraft.com/

Listen to "Nokiorchestra".

Progressive and Great Marv are the best of that bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The only thing worse would be Motorola's "Hello Moto" ringtone. Nothing says "dork" like having that ringtone pop up in the middle of a business meeting.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

HPL posted:

The only thing worse would be Motorola's "Hello Moto" ringtone. Nothing says "dork" like having that ringtone pop up in the middle of a business meeting.

Is there a way to download these?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Only way that I can see to "download" these ringtones would be to rip the audio using a sound recorder. Maybe someone out there has already done it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Captain Pike posted:

Is there a way to download these?

The Firefox-Addon Video DownloadHelper worked fine for me.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Decius posted:

The Firefox-Addon Video DownloadHelper worked fine for me.

Can you post a bunch for download?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Septimus posted:

Can you post a bunch for download?

Sure thing:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHKFQZ9O

Should be the first page of entries.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Decius posted:

Sure thing:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHKFQZ9O

Should be the first page of entries.

Thanks friend!

I am really digging my new e73, Symbian, one-handed keyboard, and the Ovi Suite. I guess I'm a dinosaur or something because I am sad that this is all going away. :(

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
http://accessories.nokia.com/featured-story/nokia-luna/

I might need to get one of these when it hits the stores.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

How well does Ovi Maps work on an E72/E73?

Specifically, I need it to yell out directions to me. It would be even better if I could tell it to navigate to the address of one of my existing contacts.

I would be using T-Mobile in the US if helpful.

Also, should I use the built-in email client, or Google's Gmail mobile app? (All of my email accounts are gmail accounts)

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 18, 2011

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ovi Maps should work the way you want. I don't remember if you could navigate to a contact or not. Ovi Maps doesn't handle US addresses well. I usually add contacts to my favorites list.

You should probably use the built in client for notifications and the Google client for regular use.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Ovi Maps doesn't handle US addresses well.

Fastest Route:

1. Traverse Atlantic Ocean
2. Turn right at the cowboy

quote:

You should probably use the built in client for notifications and the Google client for regular use.

Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for!

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Ballmer in Web2.0 told Nokia will launch bunch of devices with Windows next week in Nokia World.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

WP7 Nokias are probably closer than you think. :ssh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seeing how an ex-Microsoft VP is in charge and how Microsoft are pros in cockteasing, I don't think so.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Pike posted:

How well does Ovi Maps work on an E72/E73?

Specifically, I need it to yell out directions to me. It would be even better if I could tell it to navigate to the address of one of my existing contacts.

I would be using T-Mobile in the US if helpful.

Also, should I use the built-in email client, or Google's Gmail mobile app? (All of my email accounts are gmail accounts)

It works extremely well actually and turn by turn is great and reads the street to you.

I like the built in mail client but there's no IMAP-IDLE for push email. Exchange support is fantastic though. Might want to try google sync or something for that.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

It works extremely well actually and turn by turn is great and reads the street to you.

Last night I downloaded US maps and a Map-Yelling-Voice via Ovi Suite over wifi. I ran it, and it knew where I was. It appears that Ovi Maps may even work without a data plan, which is awesome.

Peven Stan posted:

I like the built in mail client but there's no IMAP-IDLE for push email. Exchange support is fantastic though. Might want to try google sync or something for that.

Does that mean that it won't like play a sound and place a notification icon on my home screen when new email messages arrive? Does it at least poll for new IMAP email messages every hour or anything?

I can find out the answer by experimenting with the email app while connected to wifi. (I feel as though I'm asking too many basic questions and appear lazy.)

For reference, I currently have no data plan, and I asked these previous questions as I am considering getting a data plan. For some reason, Ovi Maps has refused to work until last night, which I had incorrectly attributed to my lack of data plan.

Edit: OsNews has just posted an article about how awesome MeeGo and the N9 are:
http://www.osnews.com/story/25250/Nokia_s_N9_Swan_Song_Be_Still_My_Beating_Heart

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 23, 2011

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Captain Pike posted:

Last night I downloaded US maps and a Map-Yelling-Voice via Ovi Suite over wifi. I ran it, and it knew where I was. It appears that Ovi Maps may even work without a data plan, which is awesome.

I threw out my Garmin Nuvi after buying the E7. Just download the maps you need, after that the navigation system doesnt need to download anything to work.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
In case you missed it, Anna v25.007 is now out for NAM and US variant N8s.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-released-for-the-US/td-p/1188079

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/

Streaming keynote is at 9am London time, 4am New York, 1am Los Angeles

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

JSW2 posted:

In case you missed it, Anna v25.007 is now out for NAM and US variant N8s.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-released-for-the-US/td-p/1188079

Thanks! I am already noticing the differences in a positive way after less than 1 day.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm looking forward to the event. Elop's going to be addressing the company before the event starts, so it will be interesting to see what he's going to say.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Do all Windows Phones have the same charge connector? If not, do the Lumia 800 and 710 have the same connection?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do all Windows Phones have the same charge connector? If not, do the Lumia 800 and 710 have the same connection?

Micro USB

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If phone companies want to sell their phones in the EU they have to use Micro-USB for charging. Even the iPhone pays lip service to it (by selling a dongle).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Decius posted:

If phone companies want to sell their phones in the EU they have to use Micro-USB for charging. Even the iPhone pays lip service to it (by selling a dongle).

Cheers. I take it there are no docks for music playback for Windows Phone devices?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers. I take it there are no docks for music playback for Windows Phone devices?

This is a big part of my hesitation to switch to Windows Phone. All the awesome NFC poo poo Nokia has been showing off isn't compatible yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqtdAGjLGzo

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

This is a big part of my hesitation to switch to Windows Phone. All the awesome NFC poo poo Nokia has been showing off isn't compatible yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqtdAGjLGzo

Looks nice. Pity there's no actual charge functionality. I'm not due an upgrade for another year - I hope by next November there are still sexy phones like the Lumia 800 in production, with maybe higher specs.

Since it seems that the Windows Phone 7.5 update rolled out in fairly smooth fashion, is there any indication that Microsoft will update the platform with more frequent updates than the previous 12 months have demonstrated? Apple updates iOS with a major revision about once a year, but there are also a few point releases with more moderate functional updates. Would be nice if Microsoft did something similar.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks nice. Pity there's no actual charge functionality. I'm not due an upgrade for another year - I hope by next November there are still sexy phones like the Lumia 800 in production, with maybe higher specs.

Since it seems that the Windows Phone 7.5 update rolled out in fairly smooth fashion, is there any indication that Microsoft will update the platform with more frequent updates than the previous 12 months have demonstrated? Apple updates iOS with a major revision about once a year, but there are also a few point releases with more moderate functional updates. Would be nice if Microsoft did something similar.

Is it true you can't change the battery on the N9 and the new Lumia 800? That seems like a major problem.

The new Nokia smartphones look really good but the battery could be a deal breaker for a lot of people I think.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Noxious posted:

Is it true you can't change the battery on the N9 and the new Lumia 800? That seems like a major problem.

The new Nokia smartphones look really good but the battery could be a deal breaker for a lot of people I think.

Tell that to the tens of millions of people that buy iPhones every year.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
drat, only 16gb and no Micro-SD slot in the 800? :( Bugger.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Tell that to the tens of millions of people that buy iPhones every year.

Even in Android land it looks like the days of removable batteries and storage are numbered.

Really though how many of you own more than one battery for your phone? I'll bet it isn't many even here let alone in the general phone market.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

dissss posted:

Even in Android land it looks like the days of removable batteries and storage are numbered.

Really though how many of you own more than one battery for your phone? I'll bet it isn't many even here let alone in the general phone market.

All that battery changing ends up with a broken cover. Worse is when the tabs that hold in the cover break.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dissss posted:

Because two new Android phones don't allow you to change the battery? That's a bit premature I think.

I own more than one battery. 4-5 days without charging is pretty nice in some cases - at the cost of 10 € and 40g more in my luggage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Noxious posted:

Correct, the battery is not removable on those phones. I don't think I've had to replace the battery in a phone in the past 5 years during the phone's "lifetime", that being the 12/18/24 month contract, though certainly near the end of that time the battery has started to suffer shorter cycles.

A friend of mine had an iPhone 3GS, and once it crashed and just vibrated constantly. It didn't respond to any commands on screen and he couldn't switch it off, so he had to set it on a pillow and wait a day or two for it to run out of juice before he could boot it up again. A removable battery would have sorted this in seconds. Other than that, in my experience and usage scenarios, removable battery isn't all that important.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Well I'm coming from my Nokia E73 and the back cover is a metal piece and the changing of the battery doesn't seem to put much wear at all. I don't usually change it but it is nice to have a backup for longer trips.

I'm also finding that a fresh battery every 6 or so months is better than a new phone every 12 months. I guess that is why blackberry's are still so popular. It is much more of a work horse.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Correct, the battery is not removable on those phones. I don't think I've had to replace the battery in a phone in the past 5 years during the phone's "lifetime", that being the 12/18/24 month contract, though certainly near the end of that time the battery has started to suffer shorter cycles.

A friend of mine had an iPhone 3GS, and once it crashed and just vibrated constantly. It didn't respond to any commands on screen and he couldn't switch it off, so he had to set it on a pillow and wait a day or two for it to run out of juice before he could boot it up again. A removable battery would have sorted this in seconds. Other than that, in my experience and usage scenarios, removable battery isn't all that important.

He also could have sorted it in seconds by initiating the hardware reboot command that works regardless of what software is doing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Decius posted:

Because two new Android phones don't allow you to change the battery? That's a bit premature I think.

Only time will tell, but I'll bet thats the way the industry is going.

If makes sense from a design and manufacturing point of view.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Urgh, the N8 calendar post-update is a loving pain in the arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Honestly, I think the pay-off for not having user-replaceable batteries is worth it on these unibody designs. They're so much more solid than any other phone I've held in my hand.

• Locked thread