Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Finally getting back into shooting shows after a bit of a hiatus

Waiting on confirmations for the Mayday Parade tour, the Bayside/Saves The Day/Transit tour and hearing back about guest list for the Handguns mini tour

I sent so many goddamn e-mails today. The fun of running your own media outlet.

*edit* oh poo poo new page, have a few Warped Tour photos

The Wonder Years by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Handguns-6 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

A Day To Remember-12 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

psylent posted:

I think promoters etc find it much cheaper to get a fan with a decent camera to take pics for free.

There are a couple of "big" music sites here (Australia) that have hundreds of contributors all clamouring to work for free. Sure you get on the door list, but they expect not only photos of the band, but also quite a few photos of the fans for the gallery too. There's not much more I hate doing than taking social pics, so I've stopped working for those sites.

In exactly the same boat over here. I started off shooting for those sites but end of last year scored a gig that pays (a little), doing the same thing, & generally no socials. First thing they gave me was this years Big Day Out. Figured it was better to pursue this than stick with FL & the like...

Content!

Going through some older shots recently...

Philadelphia Grand Jury at the Metro Theatre, here in Sydney. January this year, if I recall right...

Biffy Clyro, also in Sydney. December last year.

One from the vaults - Tiger Army in Brisbane, around 2008 I think.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I used to, BUT Alternative Press ran one of my photos from the Warped Tour as a two-page pullout poster, so I'm pretty excited about that. It's in the issue out right now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rockcity posted:

I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I used to, BUT Alternative Press ran one of my photos from the Warped Tour as a two-page pullout poster, so I'm pretty excited about that. It's in the issue out right now.

niiiice! great press and great photo!

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Needing to vent :rant: :
Trying to get some work with a major cable TV network here (Australia) that happens to present a lot of shows and tours. I approach them, they're happy with my previous work and offer me some shooting with them, but it's on an "unpaid basis". So I reply with something along the lines of: "generally, as a professional, I would be pressing the issue of payment" etc, but then capitulate and say I'll do it for them on their terms. They say they don't want any "disparate expectations" for the future, thanks for your time etc.. (ie 'gently caress you Nilson, I can get someone who's an ok shooter and free. That'll be fine. Thanks. Bye bye' :argh: )

My thoughts (to myself, not them): It would look better on my list of previous 'clients' (paid or not) to have them, than to press the money issue and have them say outright no to me on the spot.

Right?

I haven't heard back from them saying "I was just trying to make a point, but i'm still happy to work to your terms" :saddowns:

drat this little bit of the industry gets trampled on sometimes.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

That's wicked sick.

I'm confirmed to shoot Mayday Parade and whatever bands are supporting them on Sunday.

New venue I've never been to, should be an interesting time

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I get to shoot Opeth and Katatonia (for those of you who know them) when they come through here soon.

I am excited.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

Needing to vent :rant: :
Trying to get some work with a major cable TV network here (Australia) that happens to present a lot of shows and tours. I approach them, they're happy with my previous work and offer me some shooting with them, but it's on an "unpaid basis". So I reply with something along the lines of: "generally, as a professional, I would be pressing the issue of payment" etc, but then capitulate and say I'll do it for them on their terms. They say they don't want any "disparate expectations" for the future, thanks for your time etc.. (ie 'gently caress you Nilson, I can get someone who's an ok shooter and free. That'll be fine. Thanks. Bye bye' :argh: )

My thoughts (to myself, not them): It would look better on my list of previous 'clients' (paid or not) to have them, than to press the money issue and have them say outright no to me on the spot.

Right?

I haven't heard back from them saying "I was just trying to make a point, but i'm still happy to work to your terms" :saddowns:

drat this little bit of the industry gets trampled on sometimes.

No. If Channel V can afford to pay that stupid 40-something British douchebag with a lovely emo haircut VJ, they can pay a photographer. Try Triple M or a radio station; not the same shows, but they DO pay.

e: It's more the precedent that if a client decides to follow up on some of your previous clients, and asks about pay: if they realise you've worked for no pay in the past, what's changed? If you want experience, shoot through the AU Review or Fasterlouder or street press and build a client base through them or directly with promoters.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Abnegatus posted:

I get to shoot Opeth and Katatonia (for those of you who know them) when they come through here soon.

I am excited.

Be prepared to get a ton of photos that look the same. I shot Opeth a couple years back and they were easily one of the most boring bands I've ever shot. They're impressive musicians, but they're statues on stage.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

No. If Channel V can afford to pay that stupid 40-something British douchebag with a lovely emo haircut VJ, they can pay a photographer. Try Triple M or a radio station; not the same shows, but they DO pay.

e: It's more the precedent that if a client decides to follow up on some of your previous clients, and asks about pay: if they realise you've worked for no pay in the past, what's changed? If you want experience, shoot through the AU Review or Fasterlouder or street press and build a client base through them or directly with promoters.

I've shot gigs for FL for years (literally). It was just the starting point for me. Kinda past their "anyone with a camera" attitude. Plus social photos... :suicide:

I know V can pay, that's why I approached them. They have more money floating around than most places - they just don't consider a photographer part of their budget. Idiots.

Anyhoo, yes the radio stations were the next port of call. Interested to see how that goes... Half tempted to just ship out to the UK/Europe somewhere, y'know. Probably will in a few years. Hooray for being able to get a UK passport.

Nilson fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 14, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

rockcity posted:

Be prepared to get a ton of photos that look the same. I shot Opeth a couple years back and they were easily one of the most boring bands I've ever shot. They're impressive musicians, but they're statues on stage.

Oh I know all too well haha, but as long as a I get a great shot, I'll be happy.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Checked my e-mail this morning and found a reply to one of my media request e-mails for the Tigers Jaw and Hostage Calm show tonight saying that if I got back to them and confirmed they would leave the creds for me at the door.

He sent the e-mai at 5:30 last night, I just replied now. Thankfully the show doesn't start until nine so I have a little time.

I just hope he gets back to me cause I really want to shoot the show.

*edit* thank god for smartphones, I've got creds and guest list for the show tonight....I only wish the Rock and Roll Hotel wasn't in the sketchiest area of DC

IMG_5120 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I decided to not use my 24-70 + flash for once and shot with my 35mm f/2 prime the entire night.

Shooting Mayday Parade tonight. I hope the lighting at the venue doesn't suck dick

Mayday Parade Preview by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Thankfully not many reds

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 17, 2011

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Sugar Sharks, Oct 2011-099.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Sugar Sharks, Oct 2011-174-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Sugar Sharks, Oct 2011-142.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Little show at a small convention featuring a local band. Was really fun to shoot. Kind of a poppy cover band.

edit: Edited with smaller versions.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 18, 2011

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm still working through my photos from Sunday night (lots of correction for magenta lights) but it's looking good so far. I'm so glad I shot in RAW

We Are The In Crowd 2 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 18, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Saw Okkervil River last night, they were pretty good.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Abnegatus posted:

Oh I know all too well haha, but as long as a I get a great shot, I'll be happy.

That'll probably be doubly true since Opeth's new album is pretty calm by comparison. The lighting they used when I saw them a couple weeks ago was really nice though, I'm sure you'll get something interesting.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I shot the An-Ri-Ra Irish Festival in Montana a few weeks ago. None of the acts were that interesting to shoot except the Glengarry Bhoys, and even then it was pretty much just the one young guy that had a ton of energy. He made it totally worth bringing the camera, I thought.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When shooting a band where one member is clearly the focus of attention, be sure to get nice shots of the rest of the band as well because they'll appreciate it a ton.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

HPL posted:

When shooting a band where one member is clearly the focus of attention, be sure to get nice shots of the rest of the band as well because they'll appreciate it a ton.

I kinda tried that, but one of them looked angry the whole time and the rest looked sleepy. Understandable, since it was the last night there and it started to rain halfway through the set, but I couldn't figure out a good way to work with it. Is there something I can do in that situation? It did feel weird that 90% of my shots were of the one guy, I'm just not sure what else I could do.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Like I said, folks in bands like that usually aren't very picky since they're so used to seeing tons of the photogenic guy/gal but hardly any of themselves. Anything you can get is gravy. Even if they're as exciting as oatmeal, you can usually get a somewhat expressive shot when they're singing like during the chorus or whatever.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I shot a handful of bands last month and never got around to working on them, so here are a few I finished tonight:

General poo poo: ISO 3200, 1/125sec-1/160sec, f2.8

Gigan 0227 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gigan 0225 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gigan 0273 color by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are those on film or just post-processed to look like they're darkroom prints?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Let's put it this way, I DESPERATELY wish I could afford both the ability to shoot film. As it is, I can't even afford rolls of film, let alone anything else.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks like Color Efex.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Actually the colors are done via adjustment layers, and then when I want a border I use silver efex pro II to create the border, and then create a layer mask to clean the edges.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've gotten to the point where I rarely shoot arena country acts. Mostly for two reason- the more popular the act, the further away you are and the more popular, the more the rights grabs suck. However, last night Zac Brown had a pit and not contract. I wish more bands would follow that.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Anybody in the DC Metro area looking for smaller hardcore/pop-punk shows this weekend should peep the flyers below. A friend of mine is putting on the show on Saturday and I should be at both

I know a couple of the bands at the second show (Handguns and A Place in Time). I've never heard of any of the bands on the first show but the promoter said he'd get me in if I was taking photos

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
Had another wonderful weekend shooting Voodoo. A bit cold, not the best acts, but there was ton of interesting stuff going on.

Soundgarden:

Snoop:

Raconteurs:

Blink 182

TV on the Radio

I was also in the pit for that Odd Future gig that's getting national attention. Left Brain smacked a photographer in the pit, and I managed to get a shot of the swipe with (unfortunately) her below and out of the frame.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I've been following this story since I heard about it. So this idiot actually did take a swipe at her?

e: also are Odd Future really as bad ("musically") as I've heard? Managed to (inadvertently) avoid them when they were down here earlier this year, just wondering if I should give them a wide berth for good...

Nilson fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 2, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
If you like "horror-core" rap, then you will like them a lot. If you don't, then you might not.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008

Nilson posted:

I've been following this story since I heard about it. So this idiot actually did take a swipe at her?

e: also are Odd Future really as bad ("musically") as I've heard? Managed to (inadvertently) avoid them when they were down here earlier this year, just wondering if I should give them a wide berth for good...

Yes, I saw him do it with my own two eyes. The publicist is full of poo poo. They also didn't tell us to clear out. They just said they hated photogs and then threw water on the pit, swiped at the woman (didn't seem like a gender thing though - she was just near), and then knocked down a 30 pound tripod in the middle of the pit. That tripod belonged to Voodoo, ironically.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The being abusive to photographers thing is kind of dumb, but on some level, if you're going to shoot a big show or a band with such a reputation, you should do some research beforehand. I've been in some pretty dodgy situations, but I knew what to expect or kind of figured something would happen so it wasn't so bad when it did.

I don't think it really serves one party or the other to be violent to the level where you're actually hurting people, but I've seen lots of times where bands are playfully dicking around with the photographers in good fun and that's cool. It's clear that Odd Future have difficulties with setting limits on their behavior, but if one were properly prepared to shoot their shows, I could see it being fun in a boot-to-the-head kind of way.

Anyways, they're only hurting themselves by hurting the people who are just doing their job by covering them. I think they also need to realize that the photo pit is there for security reasons as well as for media access.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
gently caress those guys, like seriously.... can't say I'm surprised, they're definitely notorious for messing with photographers but it's ridiculous that they're still doing it and someone hasn't told them to cut the poo poo out.

I took some photos of them at a party at the Ace Hotel Palm Springs for Coachella and while they were on good behavior because they were in a 21+ party and all under 21 you could still tell they were just idiot highschoolers trying to gently caress with people. One of the guys that was hanging out with them was like "please don't take my photo, I'm a crack dealer and I can't have people seeing photos of me online"

also Syd, one of their crew, dj'd and there were probably 30 people on the dance floor with a guy from Grizzly Bear dj'ing when she took over and the poo poo she played was so far off of what he had been playing and so undanceable that the floor just cleared immediately and remained cleared for pretty much her entire set.

blargh, they are so overhyped. best thing that came of that night was getting photos of Tyler w/ Erykah Badu, Eric Wareheim, and Flying Lotus... well that and the set hosed Up was playing simultaneously in the diner.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 2, 2011

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
That's a very cool experience, MMD3, and great pictures as always.

I had done my research on Odd Future and was anticipating a raucous set -- well, as raucous as you can get in a normally tame photo pit at a festival -- and would have been fine if they had brushed up against photographers while running in the gap to the crowd or something. You know, incidental hits, maybe even a slight push because a slow photographer wouldn't get out the way. I definitely agree, HPL, and stuff like that is fine and to be expected.

My main problem is when you go to swipe or hit a photographer. That's intentional, uncalled for, downright aggressive and could cause more extensive damage.

I did like that, through all of it, very few photographers stopped shooting until they were out of the pit.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

HPL posted:

The being abusive to photographers thing is kind of dumb, but on some level, if you're going to shoot a big show or a band with such a reputation, you should do some research beforehand. I've been in some pretty dodgy situations, but I knew what to expect or kind of figured something would happen so it wasn't so bad when it did.

As lovely and frankly unacceptable as it is that a band would do stuff like this, being prepared for what you're going into as a photographer is a no-brainer. I had the chance to shoot ICP a couple weeks ago and chickened out a couple days beforehand when I realized that if my equipment got messed up in any way I don't have the funds to get anything repaired or replaced. Probably saved me $3k that I don't have, because they ended up doing about $10k in damages to the theater they played in.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

chadxor posted:

Yes, I saw him do it with my own two eyes. The publicist is full of poo poo. They also didn't tell us to clear out. They just said they hated photogs and then threw water on the pit, swiped at the woman (didn't seem like a gender thing though - she was just near), and then knocked down a 30 pound tripod in the middle of the pit. That tripod belonged to Voodoo, ironically.

yeah, as MMD3 said, sounds like a bunch of highschoolers chucking a tantrum.

Going into an environment to shoot & knowing what circumstances you're getting into beforehand, is all very well. I don't think anyone here would expect to be actually physically attacked by the band you're shooting. That's just bullshit.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

Well, due to unforeseen circumstances, I never did get my hands on the T2i I was hoping to have by now. I've decided I might look into a used XSi and a 50mm f/1.8 to start off with when I can afford it (which should be soonish), but I do have some questions. Aside from the 50mm, what lens would you guys say is pretty much dire for concert photography? Anything else that I should be looking into? I don't have a specific "limit" right now, though I'd say $500 is definitely the high end of what I can afford until I get a real job (the body and the fifty are separate from this amount). Keep in mind that the places I'm mostly gonna be shooting at for now are ones like Joes Pub and Le Poisson Rouge in NY (if any of you are familiar with them). Sorry if I sound completely stupid, but even after lurking the Dorkroom for over a year, I still don't know much.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If your budget is only $500, I'd say skip the 50 and get a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It'll probably end up being the most often used lens in your kit if you shoot a lot of shows no matter how many more lenses you buy. You can always get the 50 later. I've shot many shows with just the 30 and the 50 because the lighting was so bad.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nilson posted:

yeah, as MMD3 said, sounds like a bunch of highschoolers chucking a tantrum.

Going into an environment to shoot & knowing what circumstances you're getting into beforehand, is all very well. I don't think anyone here would expect to be actually physically attacked by the band you're shooting. That's just bullshit.

the thing that pisses me off the most about it is that (unless the festival has some policy I don't know about) it's totally their call if they don't want photographers in the pit. I've been to plenty of shows where I've been told the band has asked that photographers shoot from back of house or something like that and while I think it's lame that a band would do that I'd much rather say "sorry, I couldn't get great photos because it was out of my hands" than end up with a ton of expensive camera gear damaged.

If they really hate photographers so much that they're going to physically assault them why not just tell their tour manager that you don't want any photos taken of you? It all feels like a publicity stunt to me... let the photographers come in and then make a show of making GBS threads all over them to the fans to get the crowd worked up.

this video does a pretty decent job of illustrating how juvenile they are... they're highschoolers but they might as well be elementary schoolers. http://hypebeast.com/2011/11/tyler-the-creator-shot-by-terry-richardson/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, here are my two favorite shots from the Opeth show:

Opeth 379

Opeth 620