Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

casual poster posted:

How come theres no DLC content? Seems like it would make a decent amount of money.

If there was already DLC then it means they would have just cut something from the finished game and sold it back to you for an extra $10. This is now SOP for the big publishers but I'm glad not everyone has sunk that low yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

HondaCivet posted:

If there was already DLC then it means they would have just cut something from the finished game and sold it back to you for an extra $10. This is now SOP for the big publishers but I'm glad not everyone has sunk that low yet.

Or that they held something back for a month to offer for free DLC to try to cut down on the resale market losses. Those first 30 days tend to be far and away the majority of sales your game is going to make.

I agree that charging for it would be dick, though.

But it's a moot point anyway. (Which, btw, makes me a little concerned about a 360 patch. Just a little, though.)

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 2, 2011

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Jzmisgoo posted:

it sucks that none of the armor has capes that move. I mean they can have multiple npcs with moving capes and poo poo but the player gets a lovely static cape?

It would probably interfere with your back mounted gear like quiver, shield, scabbard, large weapons... Although I do agree it would be pretty boss.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Sad to see the hollow soldier shield get a nerf, but it makes sense cause I have the greatshield of artorias built and it only has like 3 more stability at the moment while losing out on parrying completely. Annoying that my guide book is out of date now though, it's gonna be hard to find a new parrying shield without it.

Balder shield. Also looks good unlike hollow rear end shield.:v:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Miijhal posted:

especially the Princess Guard, which has no reason to exist at all

The Princess' Guard gives you access to the only two miracles that allow you to heal other players, the fluff for the spells mentions that they are granted only to maidens serving Gwynevere, and you find the abilities on the Pisacas in the jail area of the archives where you'll actually find some of them just sitting in a corner crying.
:goonsay:

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Dark Souls Shipping Numbers according from IGN.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211380p1.html

Interesting that numbers are split in North America and Europe. Didn't really expect that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So one thing I noticed while playing Demons Souls is that it felt more cinematic while Dark Souls feels like you actually make progress.

Anyone have any input on how to do karmatic justice properly? If at all?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zain posted:

So one thing I noticed while playing Demons Souls is that it felt more cinematic while Dark Souls feels like you actually make progress.

Anyone have any input on how to do karmatic justice properly? If at all?

You use the miracle, then when you get hit in multiple successions, it activates, pushing the attackers back and damaging them. I guess its good when your getting overwhelmed or cornered by multiple enemies.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

lohli posted:

The Princess' Guard gives you access to the only two miracles that allow you to heal other players, the fluff for the spells mentions that they are granted only to maidens serving Gwynevere, and you find the abilities on the Pisacas in the jail area of the archives where you'll actually find some of them just sitting in a corner crying.
:goonsay:

Miracles with absurdly high faith costs and very limited utility, so the only people who can actually use them are characters with a heavy faith focus and a lot of patience to sit around waiting to get summoned. Everything else doesn't require being in a the covenant and you're better off being in a different one since other covenants offer far better bonuses just for being in them.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

stephelopholus posted:

Dark Souls Shipping Numbers according from IGN.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211380p1.html

Interesting that numbers are split in North America and Europe. Didn't really expect that.
This makes me super happy. Especially since Dark Souls isn't REALLY an especially grueling game. Wake the gently caress up Japan, you don't have to make mind blowingly simple games to be successful >_<

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Gwyn is kicking the poo poo out of me. I'm soul level 89. I can't seem to consistently parry or even manage to take off a quarter of his life.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rascyc posted:

This makes me super happy. Especially since Dark Souls isn't REALLY an especially grueling game. Wake the gently caress up Japan, you don't have to make mind blowingly simple games to be successful >_<

To be fair, we're really bad at this too. Look at FPS with regen, autosave checkpoints or platformers where you can't die (prince of persia, enslaved).

Dark Souls is just as grueling as old NES games, where you often have to memorize patterns.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is there an eta on the patch? I see lots of talk but no date, and I don't feel like trekking through all the pages to find one.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

I've been swamped with real life, and still haven't finished off my first run-through. I'm wondering about a couple pre-patch questions:

1) If the patch comes out, say, tomorrow, would it be reasonable to just play offline until I hit NG+, then deal with the changes after? I'd think that strategy might make NG+ even MORE different an experience. Sound silly or great?

2) If, in theory, I dragon-head glitch a billionty souls, are there any items I can buy with those souls "as an investment?" I mean, I don't actually want to spend millions of souls, but IF I EVER WANT TO, it could be fun to have like a million items that I can re-sell for a hundred souls each. Basically, is there any way to "bank" the glitched souls?

1. Sounds great, its what I was doing until I realised that xbox live is a ghost town past level 60 and I have not gotten invaded once since then.

2. Dragon slayer arrows, repair powder, blooming moss, poison knives, etc. Basically lots of utility items you might find yourself needing aswell as having fun with the great bow. You don't even need to meet the stat requirements, you can still cause the massive knock back while doing 0 damage.

edit:

Sanzuo posted:

Gwyn is kicking the poo poo out of me. I'm soul level 89. I can't seem to consistently parry or even manage to take off a quarter of his life.

What are you using?

I would suggest the hornet ring for extra reposte damage and parrying practice in the farming spot before the grave of Artorias. Get a fire/magic/occult/normal weapon because he is highly resistant to lightning, and make it something fast like a katana or straight sword, most preferably a bandit knife or pricilla's tail for the very high crit bonuses. The weapons must be highly upgraded because their base damage just won't cut it.

RADmadness fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 2, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ineffiable posted:

To be fair, we're really bad at this too. Look at FPS with regen, autosave checkpoints or platformers where you can't die (prince of persia, enslaved).

Dark Souls is just as grueling as old NES games, where you often have to memorize patterns.
I strongly disagree with the pattern memorization, but I will concede it certainly helps to play the game if you do memorize a lot (after all you can cruise through the game once you know where everything is). But it's not like you're rushed while playing the first time.

But yeah, the west sucks too. Easy games suck! :<

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Where the poo poo does Griggs disappear to at the end, on his way to the Archives? I've looked all up and down Sen's Fortress and can't find him anywhere.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Akuma posted:

Where the poo poo does Griggs disappear to at the end, on his way to the Archives? I've looked all up and down Sen's Fortress and can't find him anywhere.
The area where the rolling ball bumps right up against a doorway and then rolls away, up that hill a ways and off onto the scaffolding where the mage snakeman is, you can find a route that leads to one of the cells that's locked from the inside. He'll be in there, along with a corpse that has the Black Sorcerer set and Hush spell.

He will also drop a copy of Hush, so you can get two.

Skitzofranik
Aug 24, 2005

SAY WHAT!?!?!

Sanzuo posted:

I had a heavy strength build on the character I ran through the game with, but my strategy was just to either wait until he did his quadruple slash attack or make him whiff his grab and punish him after each.

Mostly he just takes patience to beat unless you want to go the cheap route and buff yourself with iron flesh and then just two-hand attack him to death non-stop.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a quick question on magic weapon scaling. Say I make a lightning spear + 5 and an Enchanted Spear + 5. I have minimum str and dex requirements, but 100 Int (this is all hypothetical, I want to make a swordmage). Would the enchanted weapon do more damage than the lightning variant, due to Int scaling? I know that some of this might change with the patch, but I'm just curious.

Just re-asking this from a day or so ago. Any thoughts? I'm not sure what's going to happen with the patch, though :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nakar posted:

The area where the rolling ball bumps right up against a doorway and then rolls away, up that hill a ways and off onto the scaffolding where the mage snakeman is, you can find a route that leads to one of the cells that's locked from the inside. He'll be in there, along with a corpse that has the Black Sorcerer set and Hush spell.

He will also drop a copy of Hush, so you can get two.
Yeah I figured this out immediately after posting!

But I guess he was already mysteriously dead. In where I guess he was supposed to be there was a gold pickup, with Hush and a ring.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
Man, I feel pretty crummy right now. I rerolled a paladin-type character and rushed into the Sunbros. Fraternity asap. I've spent this whole game being a good guy for a change: doing right by NPCs (though I felt it was the "good" thing to do to murd- ah, visit justice upon Petrus after finally hearing Rhea's story... and to visit pre-emptive justice upon Lautrec for... kharmic douchebaggery. Look, I'm sure he's had it coming for a long, long time anyway, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the ring I've been wearing ever since), staying human at all times, not joining Darkwraith and fighting them with my every breath, killing as many of those Darkroot Garden feline-worshipping heathens as possible and accepting the resulting oodles of souls only grudgingly, throwing summon signs on the ground to newbies like spare change to hobos, and of course Praising the Sun at all times, appropriate and not-so-appropriate... Yea, I say unto thee, I have been a good lad.

But now... now I must leave the Sunbros so that I may save THE Sunbro. I must accept icky Chaos-pyro-egglayer blasphemy magics... harvest souls... and feed them to that Chaos-ridden parasite! 30 souls?? Egads, what a gluttonous sow! Where is one to come up with such a number when waiting for each summon can take eons unto itself? I know! I'll infiltrate the Darkwraiths and pose as one of them! Of course, now Frampt is mad at me and I'm harvesting souls for... I swear this guy is Frampt, too. He could at least put on a fake mustache and glasses or change his voice or something. Christ. Anyway, once "not-Frampt" coughs up that crystal, I'll murder a whole mess of other people (This isn't a PvP build after all so I'm sure with my losses it'll take more than just 30 souls), switch to Chaos, feed that hungry hungry hippo til she opens the door, go back to Anor Londo and murder Gwyn's entire pretentious family and followers with Chaos fireballs, then quickly kill the Sunlight maggot and SAVE SUNBRO! Then I will rejoin the Sunbros. and we shall never discuss this again. Until NG+.

Huh. Morality sure is a slippery slope in this game.

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 2, 2011

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Skitzofranik posted:

I had a heavy strength build on the character I ran through the game with, but my strategy was just to either wait until he did his quadruple slash attack or make him whiff his grab and punish him after each.

Mostly he just takes patience to beat unless you want to go the cheap route and buff yourself with iron flesh and then just two-hand attack him to death non-stop.

Iron Flesh has never really been an option for me since I lost my Pyromancy Flame. I'm kind of glad I guess since I hear it's cheap. At least the Crystal Ring Shield doesn't make this fight an easy win.

I really like this boss, even more so than Old King Allant. It seems like there's nor real "trick" to it. You just have to get better if you want to defeat this guy - even though I'm not sure why I need to, plot-wise.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Elysiume posted:

Is there any way that I could have saved Siegmeyer? I don't like this ending. :(

Yes you can. It's very difficult and requires you say the right things to his daughter and keep him at VERY high health in his last fight.

My answer is different then the incorrect answer on the last page.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Macksy posted:

Is there an eta on the patch? I see lots of talk but no date, and I don't feel like trekking through all the pages to find one.
There isn't one yet.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Digger-254 posted:

Quelagg definitely seems evil, her sister? Not so much.

A bit of her story, taken from the wiki:

The unnamed Daughter of Chaos (Nicknamed The White Lady, The Fair Lady and Quelaan by the community) once lived with her mother and sisters in the ancient city of Izalith. After the Flame of Chaos incident, all but her lost sister Quelana were transformed into nefarious demons. Only she and her sister Quelaag escaped the worst of it, having their lower torsos bound to giant spiders. Fleeing their deranged, demonic kin, they climbed to the base of blight town and Quelaag fashioned themselves a home. The precise details of what came next are only suggested at and implied by Eingyi. For whatever reason, the daughters of chaos brought denizens of blight town with them, either as food or as servants. Quelaag was unmoved by their suffering, but The White Lady wept for them. Overwhelmed by empathy, she did the only thing she could to help: she swallowed their blight pus, despite orders against such action from Quelaag. This cured the undead, but left the White Lady in her current state - near death, surrounded by eggs that will never bring life, and now, due to the actions of the player, completely and utterly alone.

:smith:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Digger-254 posted:

Hey if all you want is Humanity for Sunbro you can get a huge amount just by spending a half hour or so in Tomb of Giants murdering babies and get that Humanity guilt-free.

Cuchulain posted:

Yes you can. It's very difficult and requires you say the right things to his daughter and keep him at VERY high health in his last fight.

SPOILERS FOR THIS STORYLINE He still dies, dude, even if you save him in Izalith.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Nooo :(

Cuchulain posted:

Was I supposed to only talk to her once? He one-shotted the last thing once he dropped down; I prepared it for him.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Hey if all you want is Humanity for Sunbro you can get a huge amount just by spending a half hour or so in Tomb of Giants murdering babies and get that Humanity guilt-free.

SPOILERS FOR THIS STORYLINE He still dies, dude, even if you save him in Izalith.

That's funny, he looked fine when I saw him and his daughter at Ash lake. Honestly, I have no idea what controls the last bit. I've saved him three times and he's been Hollowed in two of them. I think it has something to do with your interaction with his daughter. Both times he's been dead she's said stuff about him going off on his "last adventure". The one time he didn't, she wasn't even AT Firelink Shrine, and they were standing around at Ash Lake.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 2, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cuchulain posted:

That's funny, he and looked fine when I saw him and his daughter at Ash lake.

Well regardless the event doesn't seem tied to his health. Like Elysiume I also prepared for the fight before jumping down. He took literally zero hits and yet he was still dead when I got to Ash Lake.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Well you at least have to make sure he doesn't "take a nap" after the fight. Something ELSE controls his Hollow/Unhollow state

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A few people have mentioned this already but I think I'm missing something. How come Sen's Fortress is considered a low-level PVP zone? I messaged a few people from the Book and they said the same thing too.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Mandatory area that has an NPC summon sign, Good for griefing, people aren't sure what they're getting into at first?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Nechronic posted:

The unnamed Daughter of Chaos (Nicknamed The White Lady, The Fair Lady and Quelaan by the community) once lived with her mother and sisters in the ancient city of Izalith. After the Flame of Chaos incident, all but her lost sister Quelana were transformed into nefarious demons. Only she and her sister Quelaag escaped the worst of it, having their lower torsos bound to giant spiders. Fleeing their deranged, demonic kin, they climbed to the base of blight town and Quelaag fashioned themselves a home. The precise details of what came next are only suggested at and implied by Eingyi. For whatever reason, the daughters of chaos brought denizens of blight town with them, either as food or as servants. Quelaag was unmoved by their suffering, but The White Lady wept for them. Overwhelmed by empathy, she did the only thing she could to help: she swallowed their blight pus, despite orders against such action from Quelaag. This cured the undead, but left the White Lady in her current state - near death, surrounded by eggs that will never bring life, and now, due to the actions of the player, completely and utterly alone.

The worst part of it is the circumstances behind the fight between the player and Quelaag. Really, Quelaag has no reason to stop you from ringing the bell, except, well her sister's just in the other room, more or less helpless and you have all sorts of sharp implements you could harm her with. So really, Quelaag's just fighting you to protect her sister, since as far as they know, they're the last surviving witches from Izalith.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Shlapintogan posted:

The worst part of it is the circumstances behind the fight between the player and Quelaag. Really, Quelaag has no reason to stop you from ringing the bell, except, well her sister's just in the other room, more or less helpless and you have all sorts of sharp implements you could harm her with. So really, Quelaag's just fighting you to protect her sister, since as far as they know, they're the last surviving witches from Izalith.
And then if you talk to her sister with the Old Witch's Ring the sister thinks you're Quelaag. She says how happy she is that you're okay, and expresses how much she hopes that you stay safe. She masks her pain and puts up a strong facade so you/Quelaag think she's fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

My take on it is Quelaag hunted folks stupid enough to wander into Blighttown, then fed their humanity to her sister in order to alleviate her pain. That would fit in nicely with the general theme of their story, which is equal parts horrific and tragic.. Not happy stuff, really.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Neo Rasa posted:

3-2 in Demon's Souls was basically this, even the Fool's Idol boss was rocking the Sogdian hairstyle and such.

If you want Japan-influenced the closest you can get is From Software's Otogi games. They gameplay is slightly more akin to Devil May Cry's controls but it has the same brutal difficulty and deliberate pacing of Demon's Souls and a lot of the subtle things like weapon weights slightly changing how high you can jump and enemies being weak or strong or staggered against blunt/stabbing/fire/magic/etc. and such. Great atmosphere and tons of upgrades/hidden stuff.

Most importantly almost everything in the game can be destroyed. Like imagine if you swung the Great Dragon Sword in dark souls and instead of bouncing off a wall the entire building it hit collapsed killing most of the enemies in it. This is the Otogi experience. The scope of the games is pretty absurd. Basically if 4-2/4-3 and 3-2/3-3 were your favorite parts of Demon's Souls they're a must play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_r3D9E3jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEW2CY99mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRw9WyI0ocA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm5YTmtGTk#t=04m24s :black101:

Both Otogi games are amazing must plays, I think I almost like the first one more for its more consistently horror-ish atmosphere (like Demons's Souls I guess), but only slightly.

You should also, if you can import, DEFINITELY check out Hungry Ghosts on PS2. It's very similar to King's Field but focuses mostly on Buddhist mythology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg17HxYn6_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWuXHZ_Y9s

:aaa: Thanks for the kick rear end post! I don't have any means to the games but I'm definitely going to check out the playthroughs.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

My take on it is Quelaag hunted folks stupid enough to wander into Blighttown, then fed their humanity to her sister in order to alleviate her pain. That would fit in nicely with the general theme of their story, which is equal parts horrific and tragic.. Not happy stuff, really.

Which makes her creepy smile make more sense. She's probably happy to see someone stuffed full of humanity wandering into her cave.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
There's not one japanese superlord other than Sanders? No one has links to chitchat about the patch with concrete info? I'm pretty psyched

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Nechronic posted:

Paladin Torquemada cares not! Fittingly, I plan to use the sword I made from her sister's remains to put the entire household to the torch, including the one cowering out in the swamp.

Thanks for the info, actually. I wish they had fleshed this Chaos family story out a lot more. And not just of the three sisters you meet, either. Personally, I was really disappointed when I finally got to the end of Lost Izalith and found myself fighting... a giant tree. And what demons did her sisters become, anyway? The giant dino asses? The giant eye-covered mouth cylinders with vacuum hose arms? There was a whole crowd of witches in the opening trailer, after all)

Shlapintogan posted:

This was similar to my take on Ceaseless Discharge. Dude's chilling out, devotedly watching over this shrine to Quelana, when some defiling little rat comes scurrying in, snatches the poo poo right out from under his nose after he had given you the benefit of the doubt enough to let you over there in the first place, and then tries to either a) book it on back out of there, or b) pick a loving fight over it?? Bitch, please. It's lava monster go time!! But you inevitably kill him, which then irreversibly alters an ecosystem that has probably been in a happy state of equilibrium since the beginning of time.

So really, Ceaseless Discharge is a cool dude and the player character is just a massive, massive doucher.

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ball Stink posted:

There's not one japanese superlord other than Sanders? No one has links to chitchat about the patch with concrete info? I'm pretty psyched
I have been called many things but that's a first for me. And looking through fifteen thousand pages of 2ch threads trying to sort out what is real and what is nonsense is not my idea of a good time. In fact, when it comes down to it, I am playing Dark Souls because I want to be surprised, not because I want to spend hours looking through faqs to find the tiniest details about everything.

This faq may be the current best source of info about the patch, but I can't be sure. A lot of the new weapon stats haven't been written in yet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 2, 2011

• Locked thread