Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Thanks for your suggestions. After checking on pricing, I decided to go for Topps Series 1, 2 and Update. I bought some Series 1 and some Lineage locally, paying $2.00/pack for Series 1 and $3.00/pack for Lineage. Series 1 has more cards per pack as well, so that's a bonus.

I like them both, but the inserts for Series 1 interest me more and the price is right. I couldn't find Series 1 cheaper than $2.00/pack even on eBay through buying the hobby boxes, so I'll stick with the individual 2011 packs for now and buy some 2012 hobby boxes next year at the time of release. Hopefully prices will be lower then at start of the year. Maybe the hobby boxes cost so much because they guarantee at least one relic or auto in the box? I dunno.

Hobby boxes (especially jumbo boxes) shot way up because of the Diamond Anniversary promotion earlier this year, where the code cards inside could be redeemed for online prizes and potentially a Topps diamond/championship ring. People hoarded as many of those cards as possible for a month or two. Prices haven't gone too far down since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Topps series one always has a habit of shooting up in price after the release. Series two and Update tend to stay pretty flat. Why this is, I don't totally know. Although after the diamond codes expire they will fall back to earth.

See last year with the million card giveaway, hobby boxes of the Update series are priced less than $30 some places.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone doing the update set this year by the way? I'm about 50 cards away from completion and have a nice stack of doubles.

Also has anyone gotten anything good from the Diamond Giveaway? I've gotten a few 1955 cards and a couple of the diamond die cut cards. Had one of the die cut cards sent to me and they're really high quality. They're thick with a rainbow finish and they have a film you peel off the front like the old Finest cards.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Boinks posted:

Anyone doing the update set this year by the way? I'm about 50 cards away from completion and have a nice stack of doubles.

Also has anyone gotten anything good from the Diamond Giveaway? I've gotten a few 1955 cards and a couple of the diamond die cut cards. Had one of the die cut cards sent to me and they're really high quality. They're thick with a rainbow finish and they have a film you peel off the front like the old Finest cards.

I got a diamond die cut Miguel Cabrera. It's pretty nice, though it came with a little nick on the top edge.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boinks posted:

Don't peel off the front.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Don't peel off the front.

Did those old Finest cards actually lose value from getting peeled? I figured it was like polybagged comics and it didn't matter.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Unrelated to any current discussion, famed cake eater Ben Revere is coming to the shop I work at on Sunday to do an autograph signing.

The owner has been mostly getting former UK Wildcats now in the NBA, but now that baseball season is over he's working on a number of local and regional guys. So far my bounty includes a Jodie Meeks autographed ball and an Enes Kanter signed jersey.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boinks posted:

Did those old Finest cards actually lose value from getting peeled? I figured it was like polybagged comics and it didn't matter.

Most collectors will/do want cards in their original condition, no sticker = not original condition, so I'm guessing the hit to value is significant. Also peeling it off exposes a very finicky surface to damage.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Chief McHeath posted:

Most collectors will/do want cards in their original condition, no sticker = not original condition, so I'm guessing the hit to value is significant. Also peeling it off exposes a very finicky surface to damage.

The point is moot, though, because 1990s Topps Finest cards are all worthless anyway.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Not refractors. I've been chasing the 1993 Dave Winfield for awhile and it's never been cheap.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Are the Heritage sets and Series 1 sets any good for ripping and flipping? I've got a bit of money saved and was thinking about putting it on a 2012 case of something.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

DaFuente posted:

Are the Heritage sets and Series 1 sets any good for ripping and flipping? I've got a bit of money saved and was thinking about putting it on a 2012 case of something.

You'd have a better chance making money on series one by ordering on pre-sale and waiting until about 2-3 weeks after release and just selling your sealed cases. Seriously, this year a hobby case of series one started at ~$620 and three weeks later it was close to $900. For some reason the price of cases went up while the sell values for the cards went down.

If you're going to rip and flip, pray and pray hard for a huge hit or go BIG. I'm talking like 4-10 cases big. The only way you'll see any value out of your base cards is if you are able to build sets, and lots of them, and break down your leftovers into team or player lots.

Consider the time factor. It's going to take hours to break open a few cases, days to sort all of your base cards into sets and plenty of time to get everything ready to ship. How quickly can you get all of this done? A base set will sell for $20-25 for a week or so, then you're looking at realizing $10-$15 per set. The same applies for game used, autos and other inserts. Stuff will stay hot for a week or two, but after that people will have bought what they want or moved on to the next flavor of the month.

Consider the "hidden" costs. eBay and PayPal fees are a bitch. Postage isn't a negligible cost. How many penny sleeves, top loaders (standard and various thicknesses), team bags (to store the cards for transit, nobody wants a top loader with a piece of tape on it), and various sized mailers will you need? A #0 or #000 mailer is great for sending a single card or a half dozen, but when you don't have the right size for the guy who buys 15 of your relic cards, it's gonna cost you two bucks to buy a single mailer that works. Shipping labels and printer ink. Do you have a laser printer? If not you're going to go through ink cartridges like a mother fucker. Are you gonna spring for self-adhesive labels or are you going to take the time to cut every label to size and tape it to the mailer?

It's far from a guarantee, buy cards, open cards, sell cards does not always result in a profit. Ask yourself the serious questions, do some figure balancing and figure out if it'll work for you.

Most people that try to rip and flip won't make money the first time they do it. They'll not have budgeted properly or bought too little or just have poo poo luck.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 5, 2011

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I was a store in a mall the other day that sold a bunch of stuff like movies, video games, comics, and cards. In their card case, there was a Willie Mays card for only 15 bucks. At first glance, it looked too old to be a reprint, but it was still in a decent condition. So are there actually older Mays cards that are worth that little, or does the person who runs this shop know more about the other areas of the store and knows nothing card pricing? (I'm 99% sure it's the former but I can dream)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Groucho Marxist posted:

I was a store in a mall the other day that sold a bunch of stuff like movies, video games, comics, and cards. In their card case, there was a Willie Mays card for only 15 bucks. At first glance, it looked too old to be a reprint, but it was still in a decent condition. So are there actually older Mays cards that are worth that little, or does the person who runs this shop know more about the other areas of the store and knows nothing card pricing? (I'm 99% sure it's the former but I can dream)

Depending on condition, sure. Willie has lots of cards, his 60s and 70s releases would mostly be in the $15 area for a mid-grade sample.

Now, if it's an authentic mid-50s or earlier issue...well, once in awhile you'll get a find like that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It was definitely a SF hat he was wearing instead of NY, so looks like it was market value. Is there a particular manufacturer from the 60s I should look out for as higher value?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

It was definitely a SF hat he was wearing instead of NY, so looks like it was market value. Is there a particular manufacturer from the 60s I should look out for as higher value?

Other than a single Fleer set, every major release was Topps.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Boinks posted:

I got a X/60 "Black Diamond" die-cut of some Phillies player I don't care about and some 50's/60's cards, but I was mostly collecting them so I could get the factory set.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's possible that could have been a reprint card. So many cards have been reprinted (especially the classic sets like 1952 Topps) that you just never know.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Has anyone bought any of the 2011 Tristar baseball bags? It's a sealed bag with an autographed baseball in it. I figure it's a decent idea, but from what I've seen on Youtube the baseballs look like really cheap toys, which sucks. For a premium product like this, why not spend an extra dollar or two for regulation balls?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Has anyone bought any of the 2011 Tristar baseball bags? It's a sealed bag with an autographed baseball in it. I figure it's a decent idea, but from what I've seen on Youtube the baseballs look like really cheap toys, which sucks. For a premium product like this, why not spend an extra dollar or two for regulation balls?

From what I've seen, they're all regulation balls.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Anyone know of a list of possible autos or categories for the bags? $50-$60 for a random ball seems like a lot if I have a big chance of getting a random relief pitcher that played 4 games.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

streetlamp posted:

Anyone know of a list of possible autos or categories for the bags? $50-$60 for a random ball seems like a lot if I have a big chance of getting a random relief pitcher that played 4 games.
They usually put out a list of all the possible guys in the set, as well as how rare each one is.

Did it really cost $50? I thought they were like $30-40.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Looks like a few are on ebay for ~$40 + shipping, I would go for a few if they were $20 a pop but I would rather put $40 towards a hobby box or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'd rather have a couple of those than a hobby box, but that's just because I rarely had a good experience ripping boxes back in the day. Like dropping $140 on a box of SP Legendary Cuts the first year it came out and getting like 4 jersey/bat cards of really middling players and no autographs.

At least one time I did well, getting a cheaper box of Upper Deck base stuff and getting a Sammy Sosa autograph jersey card that I sold for like $300

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

The good news is if you hate the player you get, you just have a new regulation ball to play with. I'd buy them all day long at 10-15 bucks just to play catch with.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got one of those Tristar ball boxes as a bonus in a $10 box of mixed packs at K-Mart once. It was from 2005 and Red Sox themed. I got Jim Rice and it came with a certificate you could use to look it up on the website and verify authenticity.

The only thing I miss about Upper Deck not having the MLB license anymore is the Sweet Spot autographs. Although they where getting ridiculous with the parallels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boinks posted:

I got one of those Tristar ball boxes as a bonus in a $10 box of mixed packs at K-Mart once. It was from 2005 and Red Sox themed. I got Jim Rice and it came with a certificate you could use to look it up on the website and verify authenticity.

The only thing I miss about Upper Deck not having the MLB license anymore is the Sweet Spot autographs. Although they where getting ridiculous with the parallels.
That Rice ball is probably worth $40-50 or so (on the market, aka eBay)

One mistake UD made with the sweet spot autographs was when they had people sign different types of leather besides the balls themselves (like glove material). I've noticed that those faded into nothingness very quickly because they used silver sharpies on them.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That Rice ball is probably worth $40-50 or so (on the market, aka eBay)

One mistake UD made with the sweet spot autographs was when they had people sign different types of leather besides the balls themselves (like glove material). I've noticed that those faded into nothingness very quickly because they used silver sharpies on them.

Well that explains why my Winfield faded. Gold sharpie. I got it fairly cheap on Ebay at least.

I have two more that I pulled from packs that where thankfully signed with a ball point pen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The glove material ones have faded a lot worse than the baseball ones. Including some very rare Dr. Mike Marshall ones (he never signs autographs)

Edit: Gold sharpie on MLB baseball material? What the hell were you thinking UD? That's a huge no-no. Always use regular pens.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Does anyone know how long the Topps Diamond Giveaway site has been down for maintenance? I tried using it late last night and it is still down today, about 14 hours later.

Just curious if anyone knows if this has happened before and how long it stayed down. I've got some cards I want to redeem. I just know some nice old star cards are waiting for me there (not).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Does anyone know how long the Topps Diamond Giveaway site has been down for maintenance? I tried using it late last night and it is still down today, about 14 hours later.

Just curious if anyone knows if this has happened before and how long it stayed down. I've got some cards I want to redeem. I just know some nice old star cards are waiting for me there (not).

I think it's been down for about 48 hours. :(

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
When does that promotion end? I still need to get all my cards shipped, and I'm like 15 rings away from getting the 45 ring prize (I think it's a full set of something?)

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

camoseven posted:

When does that promotion end? I still need to get all my cards shipped, and I'm like 15 rings away from getting the 45 ring prize (I think it's a full set of something?)

According to the back of my cards, it ends on 6/30/2012, so you have awhile yet.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

camoseven posted:

Apparently its a full 660 card set with a 60th anniversary foil stamp on each card.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
If anyone is still having trouble reaching the Topps Diamond Giveaway site, try clearing your browser cache. That worked for me and it is now showing up properly, it's no longer down for maintenance.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Spork Heidelberg posted:

If anyone is still having trouble reaching the Topps Diamond Giveaway site, try clearing your browser cache. That worked for me and it is now showing up properly, it's no longer down for maintenance.

And if, by some off chance, any of you have the black Felix Hernandez die cut, help me out :cool:

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chief McHeath posted:

Topps series one always has a habit of shooting up in price after the release. Series two and Update tend to stay pretty flat. Why this is, I don't totally know. Although after the diamond codes expire they will fall back to earth.

Yeah, this is a bit of a mystery to me. You'd think that after Series 2 and Update were out that prices for Series 1 would come down. After all, Series 2 and Update also contain the same amount of Diamond Giveaway cards in the packs, so if that's what people are after, they're better off buying something like an Update hobby box at half the price of of Series 1.

After 13 Diamond Giveaways turned in (I know that's not a lot), the best card I've gotten is a 1973 Vada Pinson. The rest have all been commons. Oh well, I'm going after some Lineage next I think, I really like that set.

Anyone get anything good yet from the Diamond Giveaway?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Lineage sucks. Unless you really like the set, I'd build something else. At the same price point ($50-55 per box) you could build Topps or Bowman Chrome, and maybe get an autograph of someone other than Ty Wigginton.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chief McHeath posted:

Lineage sucks. Unless you really like the set, I'd build something else. At the same price point ($50-55 per box) you could build Topps or Bowman Chrome

I do really like the Lineage set; the design, the mixture of old and new stars, the 1975 Mini inserts, etc., but you make a good point about the cost. I've never bought Topps or Bowman Chrome, so I hadn't really considered those sets, but I'll look into it.

quote:

maybe get an autograph of someone other than Ty Wigginton.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Boinks posted:

If you're still interested in this let me know, I've got a hobby box of Update coming by Friday. I plan to build a set with it and some cards I already had, so we should be able to trade.

Tried to send you a PM but I guess you don't have plat.

• Locked thread