Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

'cos I have about over one hundred webcomics in Google Reader so I don't have to bother remembering to check individual ones.

Updated this for myself.

...I should probably prune it a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junker
Mar 30, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

Does anyone else imagine Renard's voice being different between when he's big and when he's a toy? He's all dignified and poo poo when he's big but he sounds like a toned-down Gilbert Gottfried when he's tiny.

Haha I was just about to post this. It's kinda of a nice touch. The character himself is much more crass in tiny form as well. Or maybe that's just how I perceive it.

I guess that means a tiny coyote would be the crassest of them all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's really uncanny how much fun Wildberry Poptart and Tennis Jerk manage to cram into two pages. The best part is how Wildberry's expression is completely over the top in every single panel, juxtaposed with Tennis Jerk's completely flat affect.

(These nicknames really ought to stick)

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Updated this for myself.

...I should probably prune it a little.

This is true for me too. Though I will never prune!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Androc posted:

His voice is definitely different in my head. More to the point, I feel like his diction changes between the forms: he always seems to have a much more mature tone in big-form.

Might have something to do with tiny Reynard having a much wider range of expressions. (By design)

Also this is his voice, he sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Phy posted:

Also this is his voice, he sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

Now THAT is the resident ladies expert.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Junker posted:

Haha I was just about to post this. It's kinda of a nice touch. The character himself is much more crass in tiny form as well. Or maybe that's just how I perceive it.

I guess that means a tiny coyote would be the crassest of them all.

I think there a line some chapters back about the mind being a 'plaything of the body'? Kat was freaking out because Reynard was sounding all mature and concerned or something.

edit: oh hey there it is. I figure stuffed animals are all secretly jerks, and Reynard is reflecting that.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

YggiDee posted:

edit: oh hey there it is. I figure stuffed animals are all secretly jerks, and Reynard is reflecting that.

This isn't really related, but I just realized that we know why Kat's mom is crying on the next page now. :smith:

I really love all the little bits of foreshadowing like that. It's easy to forget they ever happened when you're following the comic as it updates, but when you eventually go back and reread them there's a really great moment when everything clicks and you finally figure out what was going on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Opposing Farce posted:

This isn't really related, but I just realized that we know why Kat's mom is crying on the next page now. :smith:

Man I hate it when people link pages from the comic. Ten minutes later I suddenly realized I've been doing nothing but reading from whatever page is posted onward. I was in the middle of something man!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Opposing Farce posted:

We always did, didn't we? Annie didn't transfer in until Surma had actually died, and the audience knew they were friends by that point in the comic. She was just crying at her friend's death.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I get the point of the flash back, but I don't understand why it was placed right there. This is on me, and not on Tom.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

We always did, didn't we? Annie didn't transfer in until Surma had actually died, and the audience knew they were friends by that point in the comic. She was just crying at her friend's death.

Right, but it wasn't until a couple hundred pages later that we found out Surma died because she had Annie.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Opposing Farce posted:

Right, but it wasn't until a couple hundred pages later that we found out Surma died because she had Annie.

Yeah, but that doesn't really change why she's crying in that scene, though. I don't really get how it was foreshadowing anything.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Because if Annie wasn't able to leave her mother's side until her mom finally died. Ergo, if she's transferring in, that's kind of an automatic death notice.

Also I kind of hear Renard as Michael Dorn for some reason.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Benagain posted:

Because if Annie wasn't able to leave her mother's side until her mom finally died. Ergo, if she's transferring in, that's kind of an automatic death notice.

Right. Presumably, the paper only says that Annie is transferring in, not that Surma is dead. Kat's mom knew having a child meant Surma was dead (or at least dying), but we didn't, so at the time it wasn't clear why Annie transferring in made her cry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Benagain posted:

Well, yeah, but it was apparent that was a death notice even before we knew of the connection between Annie and her mother.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Tea-san please rename this chapter to "Smitty is a Playa," thanks in advance

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Just look at that smug motherfucker.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Is that a typo in the last panel? :ohdear:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Fuego Fish posted:

Is that a typo in the last panel? :ohdear:

Nope. Bab is a variant of 'babe' I guess. One of my friends from Birmingham uses it all the time. Makes me imagine Parley with a heavy brummie accent though. :colbert:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
And I seem to remember that Tom is a brummie, so.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So thanks to Zorak's wild abuse of mod powers in the Homestuck thread I finally read through this comic and drat is it good! I'm really enjoying the characters and setting and pretty much everything that isn't the fact that I am now out of archives to read and have to read it like a normal person now.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

mrpwase posted:

Makes me imagine Parley with a heavy brummie accent though. :colbert:
People imagine her without one?!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Remember, it's Parley who can teleport. Smitty just predicted when she'd turn up.

Called it. :smug:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Anyone else get a feeling of ominous, foreboding dread from that third panel?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Perhaps Smitty was George Parley Sr.'s real son.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

*raises hand*

Though that happens whenever Robot shows up now. Who knew he'd turn into the creepy stalker type.

Also, why does Parley have her sword?

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Remember, it's Parley who can teleport. Smitty just predicted when she'd turn up.
We now know that from her point of view she chose to teleport then.

We don't actually know whether Andrew is merely predicting, or is somehow affecting her decision-making. (Are we hearing the voice of the author, or are we hearing Parley's I-believe-I-have-free-will-and-I'm-exercising-it POV (I know some philosophers who would be willing to argue with her)?)

Ironic Twist posted:

Also, why does Parley have her sword?

Because last time she didn't have one but had to defend herself against a sword-wielding opponent?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nothings posted:

We don't actually know whether Andrew is merely predicting, or is somehow affecting her decision-making. (Are we hearing the voice of the author, or are we hearing Parley's I-believe-I-have-free-will-and-I'm-exercising-it POV (I know some philosophers who would be willing to argue with her)?)

Also, Smitty is a time travelling Jones (we have no proof otherwise).

EDIT: I see where you're coming from, but I think if anything it's more the other way around, in that because of his powers, he'll only say BAM just before she arrives. It's not that he's somehow forcing her to arrive, it's that if she wasn't going to arrive he wouldn't say it in the first place and oh my god why am I bothering to argue about this

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

It's not that he's somehow forcing her to arrive, it's that if she wasn't going to arrive he wouldn't say it in the first place and oh my god why am I bothering to argue about this

I think you're on the right track here. He can only pick up on the moment she decides to teleport. It's like having a song in your head and turning on the radio only to find your song playing. You didn't make it happen, but it sure as hell feels like you sensed it or something. Premonition and coincidence are too closely related.

So while he can't control it, he's certainly playing it up because it's obviously the coolest thing ever. Who wouldn't want to be able to say "Bam" and have a cute girl appear? That's what it looks like, doesn't it?

Parley loves it when he does it, because it shows he's been thinking about her.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Eventually robot is going to be given a Real Name and he'll fully begin his descent into robo-madness.

And that name will be BOXBOT.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh man I love that first panel. Reynard :3:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

People imagine her without one?!

Every time she says 'bab' or something similar I remember, but otherwise I keep forgetting. I blame Annie having a very posh accent with precise diction and all (in my head at least), throws me off. :argh:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mrpwase posted:

Nope. Bab is a variant of 'babe' I guess. One of my friends from Birmingham uses it all the time. Makes me imagine Parley with a heavy brummie accent though. :colbert:

Is it? The first time I ever saw the word "bab" was like two weeks ago. It was in a chatlog full of broken english, and the guy using it kept referring to himself as bab as well as the girl. :iiam:

Then again, she's already called Smitty babe a few times, so maybe it is just a typo!

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 4, 2011

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I think Smitface and George are my favorite characters in the comic.

Also.

quote:

@gunnerkrigg gunnerkrigg
Re: Today's page. "Bab" isn't a spelling mistake. Parley is kinda Brummie.
8 hours ago via TweetDeck

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
So just as a discussion-starter, since it's a Friday: Where did you first discover GC?

I found out about it in the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thread, of all places. They were talking about how the art in other webcomics was much better and somebody posted this page. It was the first webcomic I ever really got into.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
One of my friends (Guava on SA) was reading it and I thought the art looked cool so I asked what it was. One day later I had read through the archives, just in time for Annie to run away to the forest and for me to be mad that I had to wait a whole two days to see another page. I now exist in that state all the time.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My sister and youngest brother have been nagging me to read it for years. I read through the whole thing in two days, starting half way through the last arc (I think the live page at the time was the mandolin story).

Also, hope no one is watching QI right now :P

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Ironic Twist posted:

So just as a discussion-starter, since it's a Friday: Where did you first discover GC?

I found out about it in the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thread, of all places. They were talking about how the art in other webcomics was much better and somebody posted this page. It was the first webcomic I ever really got into.

loving hell. Even on the second panel of the page right after, the humans in the squabble include an archer like Steadman, a runty one with round eyes that could be Diego, what looks like the "games teacher armor" probably being worn by Sir Young, and maybe even the hat and double sash guy (the artilleryman?). It's not like it's surprising that Tom knows exactly where he's going, but it's impressive just how thoroughly he's been embedding this stuff.

If this was already discussed somewhere, cut me some slack. Like you guys have never re-read through the archives and suddenly recognized something that was a background detail before. :colbert:

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Minrad posted:

Is it? The first time I ever saw the word "bab" was like two weeks ago. It was in a chatlog full of broken english, and the guy using it kept referring to himself as bab as well as the girl. :iiam:

Then again, she's already called Smitty babe a few times, so maybe it is just a typo!

Fairly sure Parley uses it when she first appears. AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A GC FAN :spergin:

e: yeah "Eya, what year you in, bab? :keke:"

e e: It was either the Webcomics Readers thread or one of the CAD mock threads, finally broke down and started reading it only a few months ago though.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 4, 2011