Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Fire up the Quattro

I tuned this to A-Class this morning. It is completely mental and will tear your head off.

Therefore it is the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

vjee32 posted:

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" -Ayrton Senna

Senna only got away with it because

a. he was the fastest bloody driver out there, and getting in his way was only delaying inevitable.
b. he was just as likely to DNF himself in a collision as the other driver
c. he was a complete nutcase.

Everyone else isn't Senna, and so should not drive like a prick.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

vjee32 posted:

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" -Ayrton Senna

Edit: In goon racing accidents are bound to happen, it's not like there's money and honor involved.

Didn't he also say that he'll take someone out on purpose so that the next race, the person will let him pass the second he sees Senna coming?

Senna was a pubbie.

YEAH I SAID IT.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

vjee32 posted:

Edit: In goon racing accidents are bound to happen, it's not like there's money and honor involved.

Except online racing with douchebags seems them take gaps that are OCCUPIED BY OTHER CARS. Transpose that situation onto Senna's quote and it reads: "When racing like an out of control moron, if you go for a gap that is occupied, then neither of you will continue to exist."

Ak Gara posted:

Didn't he also say that he'll take someone out on purpose so that the next race, the person will let him pass the second he sees Senna coming?

Senna was a pubbie.

YEAH I SAID IT.

:stare:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deeters posted:

I made a livery. I'm not too good at making anything more than lines.

I feel like it needs something more, so I'm open to suggestions.

What is your XBL name? I want to buy this from you.

I don't even care how much.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Since I couldn't get in on any GISH racing last night, I tried my hand at public online racing.

Some rear end-hole named "CookieMonster" kept ramming me and anyone else unfortunate enough to start a race near him off course.

Apparently you can only vote to kick someone once at a time? Guy and his friend in the same club kept initiating votes for random people.

Once I was finally quick enough on the draw to initiate a vote on him, it took about 1.5 seconds for him to get 10 votes.

I think I'll just stick to racing ghosts in rivals when I can't race with any GISH bros.

I'm too old and my BP is too high to deal with this poo poo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

jadebullet posted:

It seems like an okay idea, but I think it would be better with 60s cars alowed just because I don't see a lot of 1950s cars that would be competitive. I mean, I have a Testa Rossa I could bring up to that PI. I was just thinking, it is Le Mans, would be nice to see some Daytonas, P4s, and GT40s going at it hard.

Alright then, opening it up to 60s cars.

2.5 hour race on Old Mulsanne.

Only rules are 650PI, car must be RWD and from the 50s or 60s. Qualifying will be a single lap around TGTT with no contact and a 5 second roll-off between cars.

Race will be held on Saturday Nov 13th at 6pm EST/3pm PST/11pm GMT.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 6, 2011

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Here's a buyers tip: If you want a car that's VERY fast in a straight line but handles like a paedophile coated in Vaseline round corners, then why not waste 1,000,000 credits on a TVR Speed 12

No wonder they went bust.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
The stock Speed 12 is nothing. Drop its engine in any of the other TVRs available and see what happens when a platform simply resists its power.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Morgan Aero is similar.. I'm not sure what it is with brits trying to make muscle cars, but they're really bad at it.

To its credit, the Aero has an engine noise that will rattle your nuts, so it does have that going for it, but it comes with the sacrifice of being able to turn.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

xzzy posted:

The Morgan Aero is similar.. I'm not sure what it is with brits trying to make muscle cars, but they're really bad at it.

:britain: I think calling a TVR a "muscle car" is a bit of a stretch but to call a Morgan one is pretty much an act of war.

The Morgan is carefully crafted by hand by a man called Trevor in his garden shed using only wood and nails over the course of about 15 years. It's then driven by the buyer once every 6 months (when the weather is nice) down to the pub for a pint of bitter.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

Senna was a pubbie.

I can't believe nobody else mentioned the fact that Senna DIED in a horrible single car wreck.

Even Ayrton Senna couldn't drive like Ayrton Senna for very long.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Who do I need to speak to in order to get an invite into the Euro racing club?

gt is: pomf4k

Also no bad words should ever be said about Senna.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What is your XBL name? I want to buy this from you.

I don't even care how much.

DeltaVictor12. I put lljk and gish in the description since I figured goons would like it. The Bluth Co. logo itself is on there too, but right now it's orange instead of red.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Senna drove like an rear end in a top hat and got what he deserved.

ha ha ha, holy poo poo, don't kill me

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure what it is with brits trying to make muscle cars, but they're really bad at it.

quote:

engine noise that will rattle your nuts, so it does have that going for it, but it comes with the sacrifice of being able to turn.

Sounds like we got it pretty much nailed down to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dudley posted:

Sounds like we got it pretty much nailed down to me.

Maybe 1960's muscle.

But American muscle has really matured.. the cars may not look as pretty as they did back in the day, but they handle remarkably well considering how fat and bulky they are.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
I think the quote from the newer Senna movie trailer hits the nail on the head. It's something like, "Ayrton has a problem. He doesn't think that he can kill himself."

xzzy posted:

Maybe 1960's muscle.

But American muscle has really matured.. the cars may not look as pretty as they did back in the day, but they handle remarkably well considering how fat and bulky they are.

Uh no. The new Shelby-Mustang-turd makes a worn-out Cadillac go "lolunoturn?". There are some beauties, like the newer Vipers and Corvette Z-types, but meh. Even though I absolutely adore a Z06 in this game, I look at the stupid checkered flag thing behind the dials and that ruins the whole experience. The Vipers are the same way- wonderful car, but the dash makes me feel like I'm at the wheel of a Taurus. I just spend my whole time in the car knowing the company that made it can do better.

I love the Morgan. I just don't think it's something to race except outside of a hot rod club. You can just retire after the formation lap and everyone will agree that you won at life. If you actually win then why not walk over and give all the other drivers wedgies after you're done? What more do you want from life, you monster!?
:argh:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

xzzy posted:

Maybe 1960's muscle.

They're loving huge, probably to account for all the drat cup holders and junk in the back these fatasses want to have while driving.
poo poo SON, JUST KIDDING!

Anyway I really like the TVRs - they don't really catch my eye for looks, but once you get used to their squirrely handling (and maybe tune for it), they're pretty boss on the track.

Edit: also yeah, American interiors are incredibly drab. I for one really like the new mustangs but they are dangerously boring inside. I also had no idea about some of that poo poo involving checkered flags in the vette though. UGH.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Day Man posted:

Senna drove like an rear end in a top hat and got what he deserved.

ha ha ha, holy poo poo, don't kill me

You are so witty, the absolute pinnacle of comedy. You think Senna deserved to die? Even in a joking manner that's incredibly disrespectful to the man.

e: lol Senna was a bad driver rite guys?

Trap Star fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 6, 2011

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Sorry for bailing last night, LLJK. It wasn't me. It was my wheel. (no, rly!)
It tried to reconnect to the xbox (thus hanging the race at the Environment Screen), and then just...died.

Quick trip to Best Buy today, and that poo poo is sorted.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh.
I think I'll just stick to racing ghosts in rivals when I can't race with any GISH bros.
Add me to your friends list, Boosted... (JabsTheGoon)

I race with pubbies pretty frequently when there's not a goon race handy, and there are some very usable tricks, but they work mostly when you're in a party with some other people who are out to have fun, and not necessarily out to win against a bunch of random people driving like they're 85 years old.

We'll do crazy, but fun, poo poo like pick 100 point stock Toyota Aygos. Once you get 4-5 people in the room picking that, even the people not in your party will start picking that car... There's always the one clueless guy who sticks to his 200 point Chevy Spark with the Leaderboard tune, but fighting for 2nd and 3rd becomes a real race. Each subsequent round, someone in the party picks a car, and we race that wherever is next. One night Tom picked the 151 point Hummer, and then the track wound up being Positano. Hilarious, and terrible, all at the same time.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2011

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've got a Wireless Wheel issue, any input acts like I'm turning the wheel to full lock. So like, I can't even drive straight because the thing will start wildly popping left and right. What's the deal?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Brainwrong posted:

Here's a buyers tip: If you want a car that's VERY fast in a straight line but handles like a paedophile coated in Vaseline round corners, then why not waste 1,000,000 credits on a TVR Speed 12

No wonder they went bust.

I read that while hearing Clarkson's voice in my head. That sounds just like something he would say.

And since this game just throws credits at you, I think I will go get one right now.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I can't decide if I want to buy an FXX or purchase 30 other cars for the same price.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AwwJeah posted:

I can't decide if I want to buy an FXX or purchase 30 other cars for the same price.

How many of those 30 cars are cars that you really want? That's what my garage is, it's entirely cars that I actually want to own.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
You know the funny thing is you take a job doing videogame-related work and you think you have enough time for videogames and it turns out that you do more work and less videogames.

I'm still alive Forza bros :(

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Since I couldn't get in on any GISH racing last night, I tried my hand at public online racing.

Were there even any GISH races going down last night? I figured there definitely would have since its the weekend, but I had the game running pretty much the whole night (hired racers to complete events) and didn't get a single invite.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I said come in! posted:

How many of those 30 cars are cars that you really want? That's what my garage is, it's entirely cars that I actually want to own.

My philosophy exactly. My personal tiebreaker is sound. The car I would want to listen to when driving gets my choice, I will worry about making it competitive later on.

Or comedy cars, complete junk that nobody should ever buy IRL. I made a very quick PT Cruiser for online use in Forza 2, just to anger pubbies and then blow their doors off.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What's the strategy to those long straights followed by hairpin turns? Do y'all just memorize where to brake with different types of cars? I felt bad about racing online the other night because I kept forgetting to slow down early enough and slamming into innocent cars at a jillion miles per hour.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Ringo Star Get posted:

You know the funny thing is you take a job doing videogame-related work and you think you have enough time for videogames and it turns out that you do more work and less videogames.

I'm still alive Forza bros :(
That is a lie because I still play a ton of games, maybe not Forza 4 but I can still play many videogames

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

Were there even any GISH races going down last night? I figured there definitely would have since its the weekend, but I had the game running pretty much the whole night (hired racers to complete events) and didn't get a single invite.

I guess not.

If any of you guys ever see "Boosted C5 wants to play" and there's already a session going on already, just invite me back. It's just me trying to see if there's already a session.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Added another B-class DTM to the pile

why did Turn10 not fix the hosed up mapping on the mirrors :negative:

Falken I sent it to you to see what you can do with it. Especially the diff, I have no clue when it comes to tuning that.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Sunday Punch posted:

Added another B-class DTM to the pile

why did Turn10 not fix the hosed up mapping on the mirrors :negative:

Make some Group B liveries and I will blowjob your face over kinect

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What's the strategy to those long straights followed by hairpin turns? Do y'all just memorize where to brake with different types of cars? I felt bad about racing online the other night because I kept forgetting to slow down early enough and slamming into innocent cars at a jillion miles per hour.

gently caress you, Road America! Race tracks are meant to flow, apex into apex into apex! Not drive to the next state then hang a left.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Sorry to those I was just racing with(R1 on the 'Ring), internet just died.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

You pretty much just have to learn the braking points. that's what those signs on the side of the road are for, they usually say how many meters or some multiple of meters are left until the corner. So learn how fast your car brakes, and then use those signs to your advantage (assuming someone hasn't knocked them all down.)

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Similar to the above, any tips for getting used to having the suggested braking line off? I can put in decent rival times with it off once I practice and start setting braking points. The problem comes up racing online and switching between cars and tracks. I'm almost done with a busy stretch at work, and want to start getting into more of the goon racing.

Also, why is Motegi in the game? It's a terrible track that racers hate in the real world, and it's a terrible track in video game form.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no easy way to do it. You just have to get out and play the tracks in different classes and get a feel for the braking points.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
The only corners I have real trouble with are the chicanes on the new Mulsanne straight at Le Mans. The distance markers are in deep shadow and I always miss them, and there's not much else to help gauge the distance. Combine this with very high speeds and I tend to end up in the sand quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Sunday Punch posted:

The only corners I have real trouble with are the chicanes on the new Mulsanne straight at Le Mans. The distance markers are in deep shadow and I always miss them, and there's not much else to help gauge the distance. Combine this with very high speeds and I tend to end up in the sand quite a lot.

Mulsanne both new and old are a bit of a bitch. You'd think that in 2,000 miles I would have learned where to stop for the chicanes, or when to turn for that 70 degree right.

• Locked thread