Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I had a kernel panic on the boot screen after the Mac mini EFI update, I suspect something to do with a cheap USB hub that started making a freaky noise. Forced it off, unplugged the hub, booted then ended up in recovery mode, I forget if I did that was on purpose or not. Disks were fine, started back up in my usual system and has been fine since.

I haven't plugged that hub back in though :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Get this hub if you want a top quality hub instead of that generic noname crap. It's as good as the one I used to recommend from Monoprice.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

japtor posted:

I had a kernel panic on the boot screen after the Mac mini EFI update, I suspect something to do with a cheap USB hub that started making a freaky noise. Forced it off, unplugged the hub, booted then ended up in recovery mode, I forget if I did that was on purpose or not. Disks were fine, started back up in my usual system and has been fine since.

I haven't plugged that hub back in though :tinfoil:

My iMac had the same issue last night when I installed the EFI update. The difference is that I had nothing plugged into mine.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Anyone know where I can get patches for Peggle Nights and Plants vs. Zombies? Ever since I updated to Lion they haven't worked and I can't seem to find them on the Popcap web site.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005
Lucky I read this thread before installing that EFI update... Think I might hold off for a while.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: nothing to see here

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 5, 2011

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm trying to set up VPN on my Mac Mini running Lion Server, so I can connect to my home network from my iPad and iPhone. I've enabled the service, set my secret phrase, and forwarded UDP ports 500, 1701 and 4500. Unfortunately, whenever I try and connect I get an error saying 'The L2TP-VPN server did not respond'.

Is there anything here I'm missing? FWIW, my router is an Airport Extreme (newest model).

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

moron posted:

I'm trying to set up VPN on my Mac Mini running Lion Server, so I can connect to my home network from my iPad and iPhone. I've enabled the service, set my secret phrase, and forwarded UDP ports 500, 1701 and 4500. Unfortunately, whenever I try and connect I get an error saying 'The L2TP-VPN server did not respond'.

Is there anything here I'm missing? FWIW, my router is an Airport Extreme (newest model).

Not enough info. Did you look at the logs on your server to see if the connection is even hitting it?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Any recommendations for working with Latex in OSX? I've never used it before and need to learn for a project.

Just to put another suggestion here - as an editor I find Latexian to be much better than TextMate. The live preview is great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there any tests that show Safari being better on battery life than FF or Chrome?

I have an 1.4GHz 2GB Air and just wonder if there's a dramatic difference between browsers. Knowing which browser is the 'fastest' or hogs the least amount of memory would be nice too.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Bob Morales posted:

Are there any tests that show Safari being better on battery life than FF or Chrome?

I have an 1.4GHz 2GB Air and just wonder if there's a dramatic difference between browsers. Knowing which browser is the 'fastest' or hogs the least amount of memory would be nice too.

Whatever battery life gains you may get by using one browser over another are infinitesimal at best, and the extra 45 seconds or minute of battery life you'd eek out of the systen are far outweighed by simply using the browser you prefer.

The real battery hogs in web browsing are plugins like Flash, which will be pretty much the same regardless of what browser you use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Accipiter posted:

Whatever battery life gains you may get by using one browser over another are infinitesimal at best, and the extra 45 seconds or minute of battery life you'd eek out of the systen are far outweighed by simply using the browser you prefer.

The real battery hogs in web browsing are plugins like Flash, which will be pretty much the same regardless of what browser you use.

That's what I figured, I don't have Flash disabled. I just thought I remembered reading something about Safari having more OS X integration so it was better on power-saving.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro that won't quite boot. It starts up, lets me input my password (I've got full-disk FileVault 2 on), then the apple logo appears with the spinning wheel, and after a few seconds the wheel stops spinning and nothing happens.

I've tried resetting the pram/nvram, I've tried booting from my Lion install disc, I've tried booting from an old external HD with Snow Leopard on it, I've tried booting from the Lion recovery partition... the same thing happens, it freezes on the spinning wheel.

I was able to get the Apple Hardware Test to run by putting in the original install disc and holding D, ran the test normally and with the "thorough" option checked, and everything passed both times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

I can boot into single-user mode, and can use the shell there. I'm not sure what to look for, though. The only thing that jumps out at me from the log is a line that says "AppleLMUController: smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'VRLA'>;*BUNCH OF NONSENSE*", with which my google fu is failing to help.

benloran fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 6, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I make my own Lion USB boot disk does it work now on the Macbook Air or Mini? I know in the past the MBA/Mini had separate Lion versions or something. I just downloaded Lion again and it says it was last updated Oct 13.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

benloran posted:

I've got a 2007 Macbook Pro that won't quite boot. It starts up, lets me input my password (I've got full-disk FileVault 2 on), then the apple logo appears with the spinning wheel, and after a few seconds the wheel stops spinning and nothing happens.

I've tried resetting the pram/nvram, I've tried booting from my Lion install disc, I've tried booting from an old external HD with Snow Leopard on it, I've tried booting from the Lion recovery partition... the same thing happens, it freezes on the spinning wheel.

I was able to get the Apple Hardware Test to run by putting in the original install disc and holding D, ran the test normally and with the "thorough" option checked, and everything passed both times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

I can boot into single-user mode, and can use the shell there. I'm not sure what to look for, though. The only thing that jumps out at me from the log is a line that says "AppleLMUController: smcReadKey received error 0x84 when reading key 'VRLA'>;*BUNCH OF NONSENSE*", with which my google fu is failing to help.
Boot up using verbose mode and you'll be able to see what's crashing or looping during that spinning gear.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just in case you didn't know, booting in verbose mode is achieved by holding down Command-v during boot.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bob Morales posted:

That's what I figured, I don't have Flash disabled. I just thought I remembered reading something about Safari having more OS X integration so it was better on power-saving.
Install ClickToPlugin, save more battery

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

TACD posted:

Boot up using verbose mode and you'll be able to see what's crashing or looping during that spinning gear.

Thanks, I tried verbose mode and what do you know, it booted all the way. I swear I've tried rebooting this thing 20 times since it stopped working, and now I've done it twice in a row (once with verbose mode and then without) and it seems fine. Now I'm wondering if there's a loose connection internally or something. I don't really want to take it apart so I guess I'll just see if it keeps working.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When reinstalling Lion from external media, theres a part where it says 'downloading additional components. Your computer will restart automatically' regardless of if you have the machine connected to the internet or not.

At first I thought it was getting updates during the install but I just installed Lion today and when I got to the desktop and ran software update it still wanted to grab the same stuff as when I did a few months ago.

Why does it say 'downloading'? Is it just badly written? Is it for when OS X is supposed to be re-installed from the internet cloud? Is that feature live yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it for when OS X is supposed to be re-installed from the internet cloud?
Yes. I've done Internet-based installs and it slipstreamed 10.7.1 once it was out. I wouldn't be surprised if it did 10.7.2 automatically now. Maybe I'll try tonight.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes. I've done Internet-based installs and it slipstreamed 10.7.1 once it was out. I wouldn't be surprised if it did 10.7.2 automatically now. Maybe I'll try tonight.

If I remember correctly, the internet installs only work on the new Macs right? It seems like it should work on older macs bootstrapped by external media but I guess that its too soon for that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Can anyone recommend a decent, simple image viewer with a conversion function? Basically I want to open an image in a folder and be able to cursor/page through other images in a folder. Preview sort of works, but I have to highlight everything and open them all at once (which sucks balls over a wireless network).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

LukeyBoy posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent, simple image viewer with a conversion function? Basically I want to open an image in a folder and be able to cursor/page through other images in a folder. Preview sort of works, but I have to highlight everything and open them all at once (which sucks balls over a wireless network).

Open the actual folder in Preview, not just a single image.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Shaocaholica posted:

If I remember correctly, the internet installs only work on the new Macs right? It seems like it should work on older macs bootstrapped by external media but I guess that its too soon for that.
I did a reinstall of Lion on my 2009 MBP from the recovery disk and it downloaded lion and installed 10.7.2.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

El Duke posted:

Open the actual folder in Preview, not just a single image.
I guess that works for now, thanks. I suppose I'm just trying to get used everything from Windows and this is one of the few weird sticking points with me. I miss being able to have a folder in open in Explorer sorted by whatever criteria, and then opening an image in it and then browsing from there in the same sequence. It seems simpler but whatever, I can deal with it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LukeyBoy posted:

I guess that works for now, thanks. I suppose I'm just trying to get used everything from Windows and this is one of the few weird sticking points with me. I miss being able to have a folder in open in Explorer sorted by whatever criteria, and then opening an image in it and then browsing from there in the same sequence. It seems simpler but whatever, I can deal with it.

Most people recommend Xee when this comes up, but I've never understood, since 10.5, why you can't just use QuickLook.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Toe Rag posted:

Most people recommend Xee when this comes up, but I've never understood, since 10.5, why you can't just use QuickLook.
Actually I didn't even know about Quick Look until now. It solves my spergy problem perfect, thanks!

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

LukeyBoy posted:

Actually I didn't even know about Quick Look until now. It solves my spergy problem perfect, thanks!
And did you know that selecting a file and hitting the space bar opens up Quick Look? (Just in case you were clicking menus or buttons or anything). Love space bar Quick Look.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

This is the best solution provided in this thread.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Can somebody explain to me why when browsing SA and I have multiple tabs open, safari will randomly refresh the main tab and subsequently lose my place on the thread I was reading? I'm seriously about to loving break my iPad.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

McDeth posted:

Can somebody explain to me why when browsing SA and I have multiple tabs open, safari will randomly refresh the main tab and subsequently lose my place on the thread I was reading? I'm seriously about to loving break my iPad.

While it's supposedly low memory, I noticed it happening a lot more after the iOS 5 update, even if safari was the only thing I had open. Try using a different browser- I like iCab personally, but the iPad apps thread has mentioned that the Atomic browser warns you of low memory before reloading tabs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

benloran posted:

Thanks, I tried verbose mode and what do you know, it booted all the way. I swear I've tried rebooting this thing 20 times since it stopped working, and now I've done it twice in a row (once with verbose mode and then without) and it seems fine. Now I'm wondering if there's a loose connection internally or something. I don't really want to take it apart so I guess I'll just see if it keeps working.
Verbose mode also runs a filesystem check so there may have just been some minor directory damage preventing it from booting it was able to repair. :)

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Does anyone know how to make an iPhoto Smart Album that will show only iOS screenshots?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

pipebomb posted:

Does anyone know how to make an iPhoto Smart Album that will show only iOS screenshots?

Filename contains png is a filter that works for me, because actual photos are saved as jpeg, screenshots are saved as png.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm using Safari 5.1.1. Why does the youtube html5 beta say that I support WebM? Is it because of Perian?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Perian does support it, so that's most likely the culprit.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

zalmoxes posted:

Filename contains png is a filter that works for me, because actual photos are saved as jpeg, screenshots are saved as png.

Ahhh, didn't even think of that, thanks!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Perian does support it, so that's most likely the culprit.

Ah, the info they had on webm indicated it wasn't supported in Safari at all.

Does youtube default to webm or h264 if both are available?

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

Everyone's Favorite Mulatto
I'm having some weird Mail issues.

Every time I send or receive an email, I have like 50 different lines in my header showing everything from Return Paths, X Mimeole, Mime-Version, etc.. in between the To and Importance.

How do I get rid of this in Lion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

David Aames posted:

I'm having some weird Mail issues.

Every time I send or receive an email, I have like 50 different lines in my header showing everything from Return Paths, X Mimeole, Mime-Version, etc.. in between the To and Importance.

How do I get rid of this in Lion?

Send only plain text emails.