Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Alright so I finally found a speech magazine and went back to the final boss. I ripped him a new one, in his brain, with my speech. Now I'm sad that this game is over. There is still plenty I didn't do - for example the Brotherhood of Steel hates me because I defaulted on their intro quest, and I never killed any Deathclaws, met any Super Mutants (besides in REPCONN), or seen any Enclave members. So I guess I'm ready for round 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I had no choice but to massacre the brotherhood after I decided 'gently caress this, I hate their intro quest' and just shot the Paladins before they had a chance to even touch me.

They deserved it, that intro quest sucks.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Francois Kofko posted:

I had no choice but to massacre the brotherhood after I decided 'gently caress this, I hate their intro quest' and just shot the Paladins before they had a chance to even touch me.

They deserved it, that intro quest sucks.

I've never been to Hidden Valley without Veronica and so I've never had to win them over or whatever before getting to the good stuff. I don't think I would have known you could do otherwise without the wiki. This Game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elgar posted:

I really do wish there was a plot line in the yes man area where you just play along with the NCR or Legion but sabotage their attempts totally. Just misleading either faction completely. Using the ability to disguise and conduct yourself as a double agent.

I was idolized with NCR when I finally went with Yes Man, so the extent of my "betrayal" was that there was ONE guy in the entire NCR who really loving hated me, but nobody liked him anyway so when Boone gutshot him before he could get more than a syllable out in accusation, everybody else just ignored the corpse and told me how awesome I was.

Love this game :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 6, 2011

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I just started my first playthrough of this a couple of days ago and so far i'm loving it. Just disguised into the Legion fortress on my way to the bunker and slaughtered absolutely everyone inside. Blowing Caeser's head off was particularly fun :)

A couple of questions though:

1) how do disguises work in regards to gaining infamy? If you commit crimes in a Legion outfit do you get that infamy yourself? What if you swap to another outfit of the same faction? What exactly qualifies as an 'elite officer'? I only ever seemed to get spotted by dogs.

2) Is it possible to make a viable throwing weapons build? Just thinking about it seems like it'd be really difficult since they're kinda rare and you don't get ammo back after using them. It'd be really cool for a second playthrough though.

3) I figure I'm starting to get close to the ending (just about to go protect the president for Yes Man) but I'm wondering how your choices effect it. Is it like FO1/2 where you get a little montage explaining the consequences of your actions? Will I get poo poo on for not completing some of the optional objectives (e.g. the above spoiler)?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AXE COP posted:

I just started my first playthrough of this a couple of days ago and so far i'm loving it. Just disguised into the Legion fortress on my way to the bunker and slaughtered absolutely everyone inside. Blowing Caeser's head off was particularly fun :)

A couple of questions though:

1) how do disguises work in regards to gaining infamy? If you commit crimes in a Legion outfit do you get that infamy yourself? What if you swap to another outfit of the same faction? What exactly qualifies as an 'elite officer'? I only ever seemed to get spotted by dogs.

2) Is it possible to make a viable throwing weapons build? Just thinking about it seems like it'd be really difficult since they're kinda rare and you don't get ammo back after using them. It'd be really cool for a second playthrough though.

3) I figure I'm starting to get close to the ending (just about to go protect the president for Yes Man) but I'm wondering how your choices effect it. Is it like FO1/2 where you get a little montage explaining the consequences of your actions? Will I get poo poo on for not completing some of the optional objectives (e.g. the above spoiler)?

1. The minute you commit an illegal act against a faction, your identity is revealed and the action goes against your reputation with that faction. This is regardless of the outfit you are wearing at the time. Outfits only act as disguises, and only for generic faction members.

2. Without mods, it's unreasonably difficult to make a pure throwing-weapons build. The only weapon you have any hope of keeping supplied is the throwing spear, and even then, you'll only find 2-4 on Legion corpses. If you plan on trying something like this out, you'll have to make full use of poisons so that you aren't expending 10 or 12 thrown weapons on every person you kill. Poison your weapons, tag your targets, and fall back so the poison can work on them for a little while. Rinse and repeat.

3. A lot of your actions are reflected in the ending slides. You'll probably also discover that you weren't nearly as thorough as you thought you were, such as dealing with the Powder Gangers: Killing off their faction at the NCRCF doesn't put an end to them; you have to deal with the splinter faction at Vault 19. While there are some "good" and "bad" ending pieces, they're all arguably subjective.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Elgar posted:

I really do wish there was a plot line in the yes man area where you just play along with the NCR or Legion but sabotage their attempts totally. Just misleading either faction completely. Using the ability to disguise and conduct yourself as a double agent.

But that's exactly what I did in my canon ending. I helped Caesar up until he asked for the destruction of the BoS, even going as far as getting the components to fix their artillery while Boone threatned me for my support of the Legion. Meanwhile I did all I could to help the NCR, from fixing their communications, getting them supplies, taking back Nelson, and solving all kinds of minor issues wherever I could. I soon became their hero.

When it became time to lay down the cards, me and Boone attacked Cottonwood Cove and shortly after the Fort itself. Caesar and all its generals in the Mojave killed in one fell swoop. I kept working for the NCR for a while more, fixing their squabbles with the Kings and the BoS diplomatically until the opportunity struck to obliterate the NCR's presence in the region. Cass and I destroyed the Van Graffs and killed Alice McLafferty, making sure the NCR wouldn't be getting new weaponry any time soon. I saved Ted Gunderson from the cannibals only to kill him and his father shortly after to remove the supply line of meat. (It helped that every one of these people was rotten to the core.)

When Colonel Moore asked me to protect President Kimball I found this was the perfect moment to deploy the ultimate betrayal. I let the President die, went to report to Moore, killed her (nothing personal) and made my daring escape from Hoover Dam. In one hit the NCR lost their President, their only competent military leader AND their hero who turned out to be the Judas of the Wasteland. I'll tell you, it was fairly amusing to hear New Vegas citizens, formerly sympathetic to the NCR, now opposing them for not being able to protect their own President.

Now I had an army of Securitrons, the support from the Boomers and the Enclave Remnants, and the scientists of Big MT working for me. The Battle of Hover Dam ended with Lanius and Oliver dead, and Chief Hanlon returning to the NCR as a senator to stop their expansion. Without any leadership the Legion would be gone soon, the NCR with their problems would no longer be expanding any time now, the Khans left to create their own nation, House was out of the picture and Vegas was now its own city state, and no nukes from the Divide ever left the place! I saved America :911: and, in the Wasteland, this was as an happy ending as any could ever hope to be.

And the freedom to carve such a silly, power fantasy is what makes New Vegas one of the best gaming experiences I ever had.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

their only competent military leader

Don't forget colonel hsu!!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Francois Kofko posted:

Don't forget colonel hsu!!

Oops. Let's pretend I sneaked in during the night and killed him too.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Elgar posted:

I did this. But I sneak attacked every single person. So Caesar just talked with me nonchalantly and even threatened me with his Praetorians. The dudes that were all dead and lying at my feet.

I'm pretty unhappy with how you cannot stealth-kill Lucious (sp?) or Vulpes (in the fort at least) without everyone going hostile no matter what. I wanted to knife fight Caesar one on one.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay question: The King says something about holotapes of The King, but they gave them to some junk vendor because they weren't working. Isn't there a thing where you can find them and fix them? Or am I crazy?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay question: The King says something about holotapes of The King, but they gave them to some junk vendor because they weren't working. Isn't there a thing where you can find them and fix them? Or am I crazy?

No because it would cost money to have footage of elvis in the game. It's also why they never say "elvis".

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
So, someone on DA made this:

DA source.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Bash Ironfist posted:

470 hours, first I've heard of this. I love this game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Saoshyant posted:

Oops. Let's pretend I sneaked in during the night and killed him too.

Even Ropekid has stated that Colonel Hsu is pretty much the only truly good person the NCR has in its upper ranks. If you're going for a "What's best for everyone in the long run" ending, you've got to let him live.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Am I misremembering, or should I be allowed to walk about the Fort armed after telling Caesar I blew up the bunker? This is the first time I killed House for him and I still have to relinquish my weapons every time I enter the fort.

And not so much as a single thank you from the rear end in a top hat.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Am I misremembering, or should I be allowed to walk about the Fort armed after telling Caesar I blew up the bunker? This is the first time I killed House for him and I still have to relinquish my weapons every time I enter the fort.

And not so much as a single thank you from the rear end in a top hat.

You always have to give up your weapons, unless you kill the guy who asks you and/or get them out of the crate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CVagts posted:

You always have to give up your weapons, unless you kill the guy who asks you and/or get them out of the crate.

I always kill Caesar so early I must've gotten confused. Thanks.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
At least when I did it, you can stealth kill the guy and not get caught, and then just leave/return to walk around The Fort with all your gear, and no one's the wiser. But if you unlock the crate, you get insta-spotted by everyone and fail any Caesar quest you were on. I'm pretty sure I was hidden when I tried, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Or you can give up everything including holdouts, kill Benny, and massacre the entire Fort using Maria. The correct way to smuggle in guns. :colbert:

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

JawKnee posted:

I'm pretty unhappy with how you cannot stealth-kill Lucious (sp?) or Vulpes (in the fort at least) without everyone going hostile no matter what. I wanted to knife fight Caesar one on one.

You can if you're very, very patient. It's the guards stationed in the open-air area that are the toughest. You can take out the dog and the guard right by the door without too much trouble, but those other guys are incredibly hard to pick off without being detected. But once you've dealt with them, Lucius won't be much trouble, and then you can easily take Vulpes out.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Or you can give up everything including holdouts, kill Benny, and massacre the entire Fort using Maria. The correct way to smuggle in guns. :colbert:

Did you mean "A Light Shining in Darkness" when you said "Maria"?

e: I meant that as in "why would you use any pistol that's not ALSID"

Sam. fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 7, 2011

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sam. posted:

Did you mean "A Light Shining in Darkness" when you said "Maria"?

The gun Benny has is the 9mm unique, Maria.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Haha get that scrubby Boondock Saints wannabe poo poo out of here, narco blingpistol taken from the corpse of the man who left you for dead is and always will be the best gun.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I almost never let Benny reach The Fort (only let him get there once). Am I doing it wrong?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coughing Hobo posted:

The gun Benny has is the 9mm unique, Maria.

Good thing you aren't any taller or that joke would have bumped you right on the noggin!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

CVagts posted:

I almost never let Benny reach The Fort (only let him get there once). Am I doing it wrong?

If you let him make it to the Fort you get to machete-fight him in the arena, that's good enough reason for me.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

If you let him make it to the Fort you get to machete-fight him in the arena, that's good enough reason for me.

Yeah, I know what happens if you do, I just always offed him at the Tops for the sake of convenience.

Come to think of it, there are a few things I haven't done more than once, like blowing up the Securitron bunker and killing Vulpes in Nipton. My "do everything I haven't done more than once" run would be extremely disjointed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I crucify the bastard. Every single time. Let's see how you like being left to die slowly and painfully, you snake. :smug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CJacobs posted:

Good thing you aren't any taller or that joke would have bumped you right on the noggin!
The joke doesn't work. You can't substitute ALSID there.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Bloody Pom posted:

I crucify the bastard. Every single time. Let's see how you like being left to die slowly and painfully, you snake. :smug:

drat, I didn't know you could do all that. I just pointed my riot shotgun between his eyes after I pureed everyone else in the tent. I can't wait to play through this game in an entirely different way once I'm done with all the AAA holiday games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Strudel Man posted:

The joke doesn't work. You can't substitute ALSID there.

Taking a closer look at it, you're right, but technically he could kill Benny and take Maria, kill the weapon taking guy with it, take the stuff out of the chest and get ALSID back, THEN massacre everyone in the fort with it(which is the correct course of action).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You just take Boone with you, problem solved. :clint:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

I will never get tired of "Thumbs down, you son of a bitch. :smug:"

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So what are the quickest and easiest things to do to trigger Boone's quest? I know you need five "points" and killing Caesar gives you one or two, but what else?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Jerusalem posted:

"Me and you, just a couple of problem solvers. :clint:"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Killing Caesar may involve killing Vulpes too. So that's potentially three right there. The next easiest things are freeing the Powder Ganger slaves or the troops in Nelson. Both give you +2 each.

Ribbo
Jun 28, 2009

by T. Smith

CJacobs posted:

I will never get tired of "Thumbs down, you son of a bitch. :smug:"

I will just leave this here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9dQVOmkUM

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Boogaleeboo posted:

freeing the Powder Ganger slaves

With the added bonus that they run off and get eaten by ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ribbo posted:

I will just leave this here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9dQVOmkUM

Boone, why have you betrayed me like this? :negative: