Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Play System shock 2. Get it somehow and play it. It is worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

The first game is available for download but I will not link it because technically it counts as :filez: since it's not abandonware.

It isn't? Since when? Last I checked you couldn't buy it anywhere, and the (inferior) floppy version was available on Home of the Underdogs.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Legally speaking even abandonware is :filez: but 95% of the time the rights holders just ignore it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

Legally speaking even abandonware is :filez: but 95% of the time the rights holders just ignore it.

Yeah, but for the purposes of this forum abandonware doesn't count as :filez:, and he specifically said it wasn't abandonware anymore, so I'm wondering if there's someplace that's dug up a stash of SS1 CDs and is selling them or something.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, but for the purposes of this forum abandonware doesn't count as :filez:, and he specifically said it wasn't abandonware anymore, so I'm wondering if there's someplace that's dug up a stash of SS1 CDs and is selling them or something.
Yeah I know the forum's stance, I was just being pedantic. :toot:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

It isn't? Since when? Last I checked you couldn't buy it anywhere, and the (inferior) floppy version was available on Home of the Underdogs.
I must have mistakenly thought it was but apparently people think SS2 is abandonware and not the original.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

evilmiera posted:

So I'd made a party of characters in Darklands. Good. I'd gotten them all the stats I wanted. Good. I met some bandits, but I was fighting them intelligently. Except I was still dying. I checked out my inventory afterwards, and found out I'd forgot to actually equip my characters at all. Their standard equipment apparently doesn't get added automatically at the start? That or I'd just failed worse than I thought in combat.

That's right. You have to open up their inventories after you form your party to find their starting items.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

I must have mistakenly thought it was but apparently people think SS2 is abandonware and not the original.

What? Why?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What? Why?
I have no idea. I googled "System Shock abandonware" and got some forum thread where some idiot was claiming 2 was abandonware.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If all that constitutes abandonware is "nobody gives a poo poo at all if you pirate this", both games are abandonware.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My personal definition is "if it's older than 10 years and still not available on GoG, dotemu, Steam or some other DD service, it's abandonware".

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've just never understood the idea of holding certain copyrights hostage, especially if they are for niche products like old movies like exploitation films, old stories, games like SS etc. I don't know if they just get forgotten and it's too much trouble when it comes up or if the owners really think they're going to make some kind of sweet deal off of the whole thing.

The insurance company sounds like the latter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ymgve posted:

My personal definition is "if it's older than 10 years and still not available on GoG, dotemu, Steam or some other DD service, it's abandonware".

It's funny that back in 2000-01, HotU's official rule of thumb was that you couldn't buy it anywhere and it was at least five years old. Of course, from 1995 to 2000, we saw a revolution in gaming from sprites to polygons, and the gameplay changed just as much. You could point to a lot of five or six year old games, and say that they were old because they looked and played completely differently to how games played in 2001. And retailers always stopped selling PC games after like 3-4 years unless they were blockbusters. Now 10 years old is skirting it a lot.

Looking at things this way, it's easy to see how little games changed over the last 5-10 years and how drastically they were changing almost year to year from 1990 to 2000.

As an aside, the abandonware discussion reminded me of the reaction to GoG (and also steam selling old games) when it first came around. People thought it was ludicrous that they were trying to sell poo poo that was abandonware, we should rightfully get that for free!!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As an aside, the abandonware discussion reminded me of the reaction to GoG (and also steam selling old games) when it first came around. People thought it was ludicrous that they were trying to sell poo poo that was abandonware, we should rightfully get that for free!!

There's people that actually not only believe that, but use it as a reason to justify pirating GOG games. "Hurr, it's just dressed-up abandonware! How DARE they charge money for it!" :rolleyes:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

There's people that actually not only believe that, but use it as a reason to justify pirating GOG games. "Hurr, it's just dressed-up abandonware! How DARE they charge money for it!" :rolleyes:

Dressed up with tech support and minimal setup fuss. I would gladly drop what amounts to less than the price of a Chipotle burrito for an excellent gaming experience. I just fired up Darklands to see if the music fix worked, and it did. I'm really looking forward to playing, but I need to wait until later this week when I can really sit down with it for 3 or 4 hours with a cup of coffee and sink my teeth into it hardcore.

Plus Dark Souls is pretty distracting, but dovetails quite well with that type of setting.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ah, the old abandonware argument cycle.

-Abandonware is factually and legally a fallacy
--It's also a way to expand the horizon of other gamers who don't know about games because they're not sold anywhere or so rare and expensive that it's the only way to make their legend known
-Moral grey area since lots of people want others to experience their favorite games of yesterday.

As for SS2, it's been on/off offered as a torrent in Games. It depends on the mod asked and HotU's current hosting of a version or not. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a thread for it, so maybe a mod with more seniority put the kibosh on that one.

Anyone have an idea how often this topic pops up in the GOG threads?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For a real case of abandonware being an issue, I can point to some of my own doing. Several years ago, I got a copy of the Ultima Collection, which was a CD that had Ultimas 1-8 plus Akalabeth. I lost the disc after a while, so I tried to look for a place where I could download it online. I couldn't find a single one, nor could I find an actual retail location that still sold it. I eventually bought another copy from a less than reliable eBay reseller (it came as just the disc in a generic jewel case plus a folded up manual), and sort of made my own decision that more people deserved to be exposed to the Ultima series. To this date, I believe if you look for an Ultima Collection torrent, you'll find the one that I uploaded about four years ago.

Except here we are now with the Ultima games being made widely (and legally) available again through GOG. So does that Ultima Collection torrent still count as abandonware?

I've decided that I'll take down the torrent I uploaded when Ultima 7 and 8 get added to GOG (Akalabeth is little more than a historical relic, so it's irrelevant). But even if I do that, the ISO is out there now and I'm sure it wouldn't take too long for it to pop up again.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Excuse it for being a mobile phone screengrab, but this is being asked on GOG's Facebook account:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Day of the Tentacle would be cool as hell (and fits with the purple thing) but LucasArts is one of the big five publishers they were very excited about in the spring, surely they'd make more of a fanfare about it than a simple post on Facebook? The other big name publishers got a lot of buildup and fanfare, it just seems odd to me that this wouldn't.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When you put it that way, yeah. Unless it's a "We just signed LucasArts and HERE'S THE FIRST GAME!" announcement I can't see it being so. It'd also be weird to release Day of the Tentacle before Maniac Mansion, though I think Maniac Mansion is in Day of the Tentacle or something?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sankis posted:

When you put it that way, yeah. Unless it's a "We just signed LucasArts and HERE'S THE FIRST GAME!" announcement I can't see it being so. It'd also be weird to release Day of the Tentacle before Maniac Mansion, though I think Maniac Mansion is in Day of the Tentacle or something?
Now that you mention it, I do vaguely seem to recall playing Maniac Mansion on the computer in Ed's(?) room.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kissekatt posted:

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely seem to recall playing Maniac Mansion on the computer in Ed's(?) room.

Ayup, the full Maniac Mansion is in Ed's room in Day of the Tentacle as a bonus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd be hella more excited for X-wing series if it was talk of a remake.

As it is, I can kinda already run it, so there's no rush for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's the full list (screenshot via GOG forums).

Some of the stuff is really out there.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
God drat I would kill for the NOLF games to be available on GoG but I think that's another one where the license is held by someone who either doesn't care or is overvaluing it's worth so I'm not holding my breath.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah man SAINTS ROW III

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So, anyone else getting an issue where they can't log in to GOG? I've tried both Chrome and Firefox and when I click the log in button the window just disappears immediately.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

AxeManiac posted:

If this was my internet, you would be able to play the whole game from his avatar.

And what a wonderful Internet that would be :allears:

teethgrinder posted:

I generally hate survival horror, but something about Dead Space made it so drat compelling to me. It's probably the only game in the genre I've ever beat. I never did get to play the System Shock games. I wouldn't call Bioshock survival horror.

People hated the "PC controls", but I loved the weight of them and deliberateness of your actions. The story was nothing special, but the creature design was amazing.

I liked that game just fine except for the fact that the concept of 'scaring the player' was equated to that scene in the first Resident Evil where the dog suddenly jumps through the window, repeated ad naeseum.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'd love to see the X-Wing series on GOG, especially TIE Fighter (I think that was the one with the TIE Defender which was so overpowered it was removed from X-Wing Vs. TIE and put in the ship gallery with a description reading "Dream on, fanboy!")

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zeether posted:

I'd love to see the X-Wing series on GOG, especially TIE Fighter (I think that was the one with the TIE Defender which was so overpowered it was removed from X-Wing Vs. TIE and put in the ship gallery with a description reading "Dream on, fanboy!")

That's actually the Missile Boat, with the following text: "This is the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death and you can't fly it yet!"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Zeether posted:

I just voted for all of the X-Wing series yesterday! I'd love to be able to play those games again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

I have no idea. I googled "System Shock abandonware" and got some forum thread where some idiot was claiming 2 was abandonware.

...but it is? It's no longer sold anywhere, one of the developers that made it no longer exists at all, and the other has been bought out by a different publisher and broken down for spare parts. By pretty much any reasonable definition that makes it abandonware (and HotU agrees; it was hosted there in one form or another for a while before the site imploded).

The original is even more unambiguously abandonware and in fact HotU still has it, although theirs is the voiceless, low-res floppy version; anyone who wants to play it is probably better off with System Shock Portable.

Unless you have some reason to believe that it's not abandonware, like knowing a place that still sells it? I'd love to have a hardcopy of System Shock to go with my other LGS games. :allears:

blodskur posted:

Kind of purple...

I wish it were System Shock, but between the purple and the reference to "the future", it's almost certainly Day of the Tentacle.

Which is a good game, but I really not all that excited about them getting LucasArts on board; with the notable exception of Grim Fandango, pretty much all of their older stuff already works fine in dosbox or SCUMMVM.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

ToxicFrog posted:

Which is a good game, but I really not all that excited about them getting LucasArts on board; with the notable exception of Grim Fandango, pretty much all of their older stuff already works fine in dosbox or SCUMMVM.

Also there will be maybe 10 games before they need to dip into the massive Star Wars game pool. Granted, some of them are really good but eh. I wonder if Lucasarts still has the rights to distribute the first Sam and Max.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'd just be happy to get the chance to play Afterlife and Outlaws, Since my lovely '95 Compaq Presario couldn't handle either of them :(

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I would love it if GOG could get System Shock 2, just because the abandon-ware version is such pain in the rear end to get running properly on a multi-core system.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New clue from their Twitter: "Predicting tomorrow's release involves numbers between 419 & 451; tell us what you think it will be"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

macnbc posted:

New clue from their Twitter: "Predicting tomorrow's release involves numbers between 419 & 451; tell us what you think it will be"

So, their next game involves weed? :confused:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Unless you have some reason to believe that it's not abandonware, like knowing a place that still sells it? I'd love to have a hardcopy of System Shock to go with my other LGS games. :allears:
Outside of Amazon and eBay there's really no other place that sells SS2 (I remember one forum linking to a store that still had copies but it may not have them any more) so it is definitely abandonware. I was completely mistaken in thinking it wasn't because one forum stated that it was illegal and such.

The second clue seems to imply two games are coming out, unless DoTT has some number like that come up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I would love it if GOG could get System Shock 2, just because the abandon-ware version is such pain in the rear end to get running properly on a multi-core system.

This worked for me:
- download imagecfg and put it in your SS2 directory
- open a command prompt there
- imagecfg -u -a 0x01 shock2.exe

Bam, SS2 now runs only on a single core. This won't fix any other issues you're having (like movie codec issues or the like) but it will fix the random game speed fluctuations, lockups, and crashes you get when it runs in multiprocessor mode.

macnbc posted:

451 was the LGS door access code for years and appears in pretty much all of their games early on - 451 is the access code for medical in SS1, 45100 is the code to cryogenics in SS2, and so forth. Oh god, could it be System Shock? :ohdear:

No idea what the significance of 419 is.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I don't know what tomorrow's game is, but I feel pretty confident that it's not DOTT.

GOG's track record when they've added high-profile new publishers lately (like Activision, Hasbro, or EA), is that they've hyped it out their asses for days and days if not WEEKS in advance.

They know very well that Lucasarts' back catalog would be a HUGE get for them and there's a lot of demand for it, so I have a feeling there would be a huge teaser graphic on their website, e-mails would've gone out, etc. etc. if that was the case.

A quickie Facebook poll on Monday and then quietly adding Day of the Tentacle to the catalog doesn't seem to be their style.