Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm SL14 and I can see the sigil of a guy who's SL22.

edit: And we have now both summoned each other.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Apparently nobody wants to summon the Xanthous King, even when he's weilding Smough's Hammer.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lotish posted:

Except I always rush up there. You have exactly enough time to make it at 25%-49% encumbrance speed. Naked you have even more time. You just need to juke right as you hit the corner because the boulder will go flying when you enter the room. I've made the run over two dozen times and been hit once when I tried it at 50%+ encumbrance.

Yeah, there really is nothing remotely dangerous about that run. On my Thief with 9 VIT + <50% burden, I ran up the stairs multiple times, sometimes even getting hit by the boulder, and never died. If you're really paranoid about it, I think putting your shield up will let you survive no matter what, as long as you're off to the side when you get hit.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Thinking about doing another playthrough of the game. The character I beat my first playthrough with was a heavy-armor wearing, melee-only deprived--ended the game using stone legs/paladin body/darkwraith gloves/mask of the father with a lightning zweihander. I want to try something different second playthrough, but I'm not sure how much casting would appeal to me. I am really afraid I'm just going to end up "mixing it up" by using a fire claymore instead of a lightning zweihander. Any suggestions for what I should do, and if so, what I should end up putting points into?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Lotish posted:

How do you guys know you were palling with people outside your "10%" range? Did they tell you their soul level somehow, or are you just guessing based on their equipment or progress?

A lot people message me after I help them wondering what my katanas are and level. So we talk.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So does it make me a terrible person if I knowingly let Petrus murder Rhea so I could get my hands on the pendant. I mean it beats letting her get kidnapped and turned hollow right... :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So does it make me a terrible person if I knowingly let Petrus murder Rhea so I could get my hands on the pendant. I mean it beats letting her get kidnapped and turned hollow right... :(
Yes. You are terrible and you should feel terrible.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

You also get the pendant if you kill her hollow. You monster.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Nope. But the better way would be to get the Dark Hand from the Darkwraiths first, use the hand to grab Humanity from Petrus and kill him, save Rhea, buy all her stuff and then use the hand again on Rhea and end her mercifully yourself. (Plus you get a shitton humanity)

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Elysiume posted:

I'm SL14 and I can see the sigil of a guy who's SL22.

edit: And we have now both summoned each other.

That is correct. I am SL22 and Elysiume helped me stomp the gaping dragon! Goons helping goons :)

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Speaking of Talismans, I had a question regarding their use:

What the gently caress is up with Talismans?

I've taking my Cleric character up to 30 Faith (I really can't justify spending more - Divine scaling sucks and they don't have good bread-and-butter spells for combat like Sorcery/Pyros). At that level of Faith the Canvas Talisman gives the best MagAdjust, around ~175 compared to ~140 for the Ivory, Darkmoon, and standard Talismans. However, the Darkmoon and Ivory Talismans are supposed to have better scaling than the Canvas.

Does the Canvas Talisman just have an abnormally large base MagAdjust comparatively? How much Faith do you need before the better scaling talismans win out? I would think that at 30 Faith the "better scaling" options would be at least approaching equal to a "high base low scaling" option.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dear Watson posted:

That is correct. I am SL22 and Elysiume helped me stomp the gaping dragon! Goons helping goons :)
I'm honestly still surprised we found each other.

YorexTheMad posted:

I've taking my Cleric character up to 30 Faith (I really can't justify spending more - Divine scaling sucks and they don't have good bread-and-butter spells for combat like Sorcery/Pyros). At that level of Faith the Canvas Talisman gives the best MagAdjust, around ~175 compared to ~140 for the Ivory, Darkmoon, and standard Talismans. However, the Darkmoon and Ivory Talismans are supposed to have better scaling than the Canvas.

Does the Canvas Talisman just have an abnormally large base MagAdjust comparatively? How much Faith do you need before the better scaling talismans win out? I would think that at 30 Faith the "better scaling" options would be at least approaching equal to a "high base low scaling" option.
I encountered this too. I was looking it up after noticing that my starter talisman was better than every other one I can get now, and it looks like it continues to be one of the best.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
^^^yeah it usually takes a lot more work to find specific people in this game. We got very lucky.

Willfrey posted:

Carpa can be a tough one even with summons. I've helped a few times where the dude summons two bros, he goes in first and instantly gets double-dog-dicked and smashed by carpa while me and the other summon just barely got through the doorway.

Hell, I wasn't even in the world yet, let alone walking through the door. I need to make a bunch of +10 hollow shields to drop off for the guys that are using crappy ones so I can get in there and kill!

Assists have been going great today, I can probably join the golden group now although I'm worried about the rumor that they don't group you with the white guys as well so you don't get summoned as much.

I've got Lautrecs armor, and I think I'll wear it when I go golden. Or maybe I'll get the brass armor, I haven't done that with any of my characters yet.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 8, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dear Watson posted:

Hell, I wasn't even in the world yet, let alone walking through the door. I need to make a bunch of +10 hollow shields to drop off for the guys that are using crappy ones so I can get in there and kill!

Assists have been going great today, I can probably join the golden group now although I'm worried about the rumor that they don't group you with the white guys as well so you don't get summoned as much.

I've got Lautrecs armor, and I think I'll wear it when I go golden. Or maybe I'll get the brass armor, I haven't done that with any of my characters yet.
I was off to the side while you destroyed Capra with your fire katana, and then I did a sword dance for the finisher. Sword dance is not very useful, but it's hellacious fun.

And thanks to you, I can join the Sunbros!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Elysiume posted:

I was off to the side while you destroyed Capra with your fire katana, and then I did a sword dance for the finisher. Sword dance is not very useful, but it's hellacious fun.

And thanks to you, I can join the Sunbros!

Yeah, sword dance looks cool but it seems like it has gappy hit detection. I still like it though, plus the chaos firestorm. Both of those are pretty cool looking spells.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I'm chilling on the bridge right before Capra. It's interesting that it follows with me; I was wondering how it works. I assume it just goes inactive if I go to an area I killed the boss in?

I can't progress because I need to kill Capra. I don't want to go to Blighttown yet. edit: Time to go to Blighttown.

Do I get anything if they die to my red phantom enemies?

So long as you dont die or quit, the eye is still functional (you will extrude black smoke if it is still on). As soon as you get to a new area, your summon sign appears at the nearst spawn location to you. For example if you are in the parish before gargoyles, they can either spawn near the gargoyle door or back towards the begginning of the area before the boar.
In darkroot its always the clearing just past the blacksmith so go chill there for invades and hop upstairs to the bonfire for a quick heal. The door to the bonfire fogs up when someone is invading you, so thats a big indication as to whether someone is getting through or not.

You get nothing if they die to phantoms aside from their irritation and eventual invasions. Try to set up in an area with difficult/annoying mobs like darkroot, dukes archives (phantom crystal hollows may aswell be invincible) or anor londo. You will nead to clear the ones in the immediate area so they don't get in the way but basically the more challenging the mobs, the more likely someone is gonna get pissed off and invade you to get rid of them.

RADmadness fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 8, 2011

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

YorexTheMad posted:

Faith scaling will be a bit better post-patch, but you're right in that the Canvas Talisman will be the best for most characters. The Ivory/Sunlight talismans overtake it at around 44 Faith, and the Darkmoon wins out at 48+, but until then the Canvas will be the best. Thorolund is a good choice (except for INT characters) for anyone who doesn't use faith at all, since it's pure MagAdjust without much scaling.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll be in Sen's Fortress helping anyone that wants to summon me. If you need help anywhere else (Xbox 360) and you're around SL 30, I'll be glad to come join you.

You can hit me up on IRC/AIM.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ineffiable posted:

I'll be in Sen's Fortress helping anyone that wants to summon me. If you need help anywhere else (Xbox 360) and you're around SL 30, I'll be glad to come join you.

Do you get a lot of summons at SL30 at sens? I'm SL22 and want to stay that way for a while but I'd love to help people clear out Sens.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Karmic Justice is pretty underwhelming. You need to be getting hit a lot, really quickly for it to activate. There's the small problem of getting hit a lot, really quickly usually means you'll die. I got it to activate on the dreglings on the Parish floor 2, and it was pretty awesome. Regardless, it doesn't seem like a reliable piece of an arsenal.

The buff lasts a minute.

Dear Watson posted:

Do you get a lot of summons at SL30 at sens? I'm SL22 and want to stay that way for a while but I'd love to help people clear out Sens.
By "clear" do you mean "follow them through swinging blades"? I've made some stupid mistakes in Sen's, and I wouldn't want to burden a phantom with that.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 8, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm trying out New Londo for the first time, and the banshee women aren't so bad until there's, like, a dozen of them at once. That square-ish building past the aqueduct-looking bridge, just down the stairs, has at least 3 that come out of the water and an untold number that seem to come out of the ether. I guess it's the building with Ingward? I keep dying there. When I try and lure the ghosts out they don't seem to take the bait, and the ones from the lake run away whenever I hit the staircase. What should I be doing?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dear Watson posted:

-2030 might be one of the best ranges for Sens. The 360 is much more dead than PS3 (which again is now partially dead thanks to the patch) so your mileage may vary. It's possibly the best level range you can be at since you'll get the low level people who are at 20, and maybe capture some of the higher levels up to 50.

It's almost accepted that 50 and above is for Anor Londo and beyond, so if you get close to that range, you're too much for Sens.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Lotish posted:

So I'm trying out New Londo for the first time, and the banshee women aren't so bad until there's, like, a dozen of them at once. That square-ish building past the aqueduct-looking bridge, just down the stairs, has at least 3 that come out of the water and an untold number that seem to come out of the ether. I guess it's the building with Ingward? I keep dying there. When I try and lure the ghosts out they don't seem to take the bait, and the ones from the lake run away whenever I hit the staircase. What should I be doing?

Two-hander with a wide swing, lots of poise, and maybe Iron Flesh. I'd suggest a Fire or Divine Halberd.

Good luck.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Lotish posted:

What I do there is go to the entrance and wait a moment, 3 ghosts will come up from the water, and two will come out of the building. You want to lure the ones in the building out first and fight them on the stairs behind you. After you kill those two, go kill the three in the water. Then enter the building. Choose a corridor and walk to the end and then turn around and walk back, you will usually draw out one or two ghosts, kill them and continue walking through the corridors picking them off one or two at a time. If you go around all the corridors this way, there will only be one left in the building (a screaming one) kill her and then you can climb the stairs without worrying and you shouldn't get gangbanged.

Its the slow methodical method, and you should never get overwhelmed if you take it slow enough. Also learn the timing of your transient curses, you may have to use 3 total to clear the level up to ingward. But usually only 2. Running through and getting up the ladder also works, but is a lot more difficult and aggravating.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

It's almost accepted that 50 and above is for Anor Londo and beyond, so if you get close to that range, you're too much for Sens.

I dunno, I rushed my fresh character to 50 and there were tonnes of signs outside the boss door. They kept coming even after half a dozen failed summons. Likewise, I drop my summon sign at the Anor Londo boss door at 80 when I'm on my way to the blacksmith and still get a surprising number of summons.

I was summoned by a guy who'd made a fresh PSN ID called "Catarina Knight", so I got ample use out of the prostration gesture until I saw him kick Siegmeyer. During the boss fight I think he used the banishment crystal too. Quite disappointing.

Toasty
Mar 12, 2007
So I made a pyro and rushed a Quelana flame. Killed Quelaag, got chaos fireball -> straight to 4 kings and darkwraiths.

I've been invading people at level 1 in the parish and depths and getting more hate messages than I've ever gotten on PSN before.

I may level all the way to level 6 for greater magic shield just for the extra cheese. As a level 1 you can invade literally anybody of any level. Killing guys in the parish in full havels gear who can still role with a level 1 for 500k souls is incredibly satisfying. These guys probably don't even realize what happened.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

God loving damnit, it's hard enough just getting past the loving giants to O+S in NG+ without using up my pyromancy without people loving invading me goddamnit. I'd stay hollow but I want Solaire's help. It's stupid that I have to play offline just to be able to fire a billion arrows into a giant's head without being disturbed. gently caress.

My bro Solaire and me did kill the last fog ring wearing chucklehead that tried it right outside the fog door (I can still hit you with Chaos Fireballs, dickweed) but it used up too many of my spells/estus so it was a bust and I had to go back to the bonfire, and then I had to use the black crystal to get rid of Solaire, and then his sign was gone so I had to quit and reload. gently caress.

Up until now, NG+ had been an absolute cakewalk. Even getting past the bit with the archers that people whine about was piss easy. I don't think I died to any bosses, even though almost all of them killed me a shitload my first time through. But now I'm realising that my lightning spear +5 just doesn't cut it. Somewhere along the line I picked up a Chaos Rapier and it seems pretty good! Worked better on Laurel + Hardy than my spear, but not well enough - and it's not upgraded at all. But I haven't got the ember for it, yet, and was putting off doing the Demon Ruins/Catacombs until I had the Lordvessel. gently caress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

neetz posted:

I dunno, I rushed my fresh character to 50 and there were tonnes of signs outside the boss door. They kept coming even after half a dozen failed summons. Likewise, I drop my summon sign at the Anor Londo boss door at 80 when I'm on my way to the blacksmith and still get a surprising number of summons.

I was summoned by a guy who'd made a fresh PSN ID called "Catarina Knight", so I got ample use out of the prostration gesture until I saw him kick Siegmeyer. During the boss fight I think he used the banishment crystal too. Quite disappointing.

There's gonna be a huge discrepancy in what it should be and what the online presence is. And you can blame forest farming for this.

I've taken 5-6 characters through most, if not the entirely of Dark Souls. Even without grinding and sometimes using boss souls/not using boss souls for quick souls, I usually go around to Sen's in the 30s.

But, since everyone and their mother is gonna know about forest farming, they're gonna be in their 50s or higher, and probably completely unprepared for the levels despite their high soul levels.

I'm not saying the forest shouldn't have been in the game.... but it should have been an area sealed off by the Lordvessal (move the abyss ring somewhere else so you can still do four kings)

Oh, uh, Dear Watson, if you're not in one of these three covenants, join them, because it really helps your White Phantoming (maybe it doesn't really have an effect, but it's so easy to join the covenants so you might as well):
Golden Sunbros (Warriors of Sunlight)
Princess's Guard
Way of White.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lotish posted:

As has already been mentioned, a big wide swinging weapon works well, or at least one that is fast with high damage (I'm running a +10 Fire Katana in NG+ and it almost one-shots the ghosts).

As for the approach, the previously mentioned slow-and-steady method can work, but if you're feeling ballsy and want to make it go faster, try this:

Once you get to that narrow staircase where the ghosts come up from the water and others comes through the buildnig, try just sprinting into the door way (right as you round the corner at the bottom of the steps) and take an immediate left. You'll run down a hallway in the building, and then just a bit down the way you'll find another doorway on your left. Exit the building there, and take another right. You'll come to a "T" just past that doorway, turn right and run up the staircase. At this point you'll probably have a half-dozen ghosts trailing not far behind you, but you shouldn't have ever been surrounded by them, and at least at <50% equip load you should be able to outrun them fairly well. And at this point you should have enough ground to comfortably fight them off in a group, with Pyromancy/Sorcery, etc.

Good luck!

Merauder fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I hate being a Darkmoon since most people don't even want to bow, and generally I get killed by a sliding backstab. I attack and then they instantly go behind me from in front of me. If it wasn't for the simple fact that I need it for Miracles.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Zain posted:

I hate being a Darkmoon since most people don't even want to bow, and generally I get killed by a sliding backstab. I attack and then they instantly go behind me from in front of me. If it wasn't for the simple fact that I need it for Miracles.

Farm in Painted World. Darkmoon Blades is awful. It was the covenant I wanted to be in originally too. :(

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Akuma posted:

God loving damnit, it's hard enough just getting past the loving giants to O+S in NG+ without using up my pyromancy without people loving invading me goddamnit. I'd stay hollow but I want Solaire's help. It's stupid that I have to play offline just to be able to fire a billion arrows into a giant's head without being disturbed. gently caress.

My bro Solaire and me did kill the last fog ring wearing chucklehead that tried it right outside the fog door (I can still hit you with Chaos Fireballs, dickweed) but it used up too many of my spells/estus so it was a bust and I had to go back to the bonfire, and then I had to use the black crystal to get rid of Solaire, and then his sign was gone so I had to quit and reload. gently caress.

Up until now, NG+ had been an absolute cakewalk. Even getting past the bit with the archers that people whine about was piss easy. I don't think I died to any bosses, even though almost all of them killed me a shitload my first time through. But now I'm realising that my lightning spear +5 just doesn't cut it. Somewhere along the line I picked up a Chaos Rapier and it seems pretty good! Worked better on Laurel + Hardy than my spear, but not well enough - and it's not upgraded at all. But I haven't got the ember for it, yet, and was putting off doing the Demon Ruins/Catacombs until I had the Lordvessel. gently caress.

I was cursing myself for killing Smough last in NG only to have to deal with super lightning resistant Mega-Ornstein in NG+. Luckily I had enough poison throwing daggers and sorcery to cheese him to hell after multiple tries. God bless poison and toxic on bosses like them.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Cuchulain posted:

Farm in Painted World. Darkmoon Blades is awful. It was the covenant I wanted to be in originally too. :(

I would say that Darkmoon is only trumped by Gravelord in how ridiculous and hard it is to complete.

What mob do I need to farm in order to get the reprisal signs?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

endlosnull posted:

I was cursing myself for killing Smough last in NG only to have to deal with super lightning resistant Mega-Ornstein in NG+. Luckily I had enough poison throwing daggers and sorcery to cheese him to hell after multiple tries. God bless poison and toxic on bosses like them.
Speaking of Mega-Ornstein, is there an element he is weak to at all? My Fire weapon / Pyro doesn't seem too effective on him, and as just mentioned he's apparently resistant to Lightening, too.

(Good to know about the poison working on him thoguh, might need to abuse that tonight! :))

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Zain posted:

I would say that Darkmoon is only trumped by Gravelord in how ridiculous and hard it is to complete.

Dragon Covenant beats both.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Dragon Covenant beats both.
At least in the Dragon Covenant you don't lose anything if nobody challenges you.

Karmic Justice is terrible, this is my final conclusion.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Harpies drop the Darkmoon things.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's terrible because it doesn't actually work on first hit like it probably should. If melee characters had to worry about taking blowback damage from their own attacks it might have a place in PVP at least.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zain posted:

In terms of doing it the normal way? Yes. In terms of farming? Harpies are more annoying.

(harpies in painted world will drop them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ineffiable posted:

Oh, uh, Dear Watson, if you're not in one of these three covenants, join them, because it really helps your White Phantoming (maybe it doesn't really have an effect, but it's so easy to join the covenants so you might as well):
Golden Sunbros (Warriors of Sunlight)
Princess's Guard
Way of White.

Yeah, my current character is working for the Sunbros, but i remember reading some peoples post saying that after leaving the way of the white to join the sunbros they stopped getting summoned as often.

Which could be rumor as all three co-op covenants are supposed to be linked to each other behind the scenes (according to wikis which I don't take as gospel)

• Locked thread