Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I wish Xenoblade came out on a relevant game console. It deserved better then the Wii.

Hey the Wii is allowed to have good games, you know. In fact there are many great games only available on Wii, a console many people own and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

Hey the Wii is allowed to have good games, you know. In fact there are many great games only available on Wii, a console many people own and enjoy!

It's good if you're a Nintendo fanboy, but even then everything on it from Nintendo is just a rehash of games they've been making since the N64, with very little to no improvements. I dunno, the Wii didn't do anything for me, its library of games ended up being completely underwhelming.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MUFFlNS posted:

Aren't Bethesda RPGs always full of bugs and prone to crashing/freezing when they're released? I'll never understand why people don't just wait a few months for the price to drop and the games to actually work properly.

Haha, you're assuming that Bethesda eventually fixes the crashes. That's kinda cute, in a naive sort of way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

...! posted:

Haha, you're assuming that Bethesda eventually fixes the crashes. That's kinda cute, in a naive sort of way.

Pretty much, Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 only got 2 or 3 patches each and they were all for minor fixes.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Xenoblade had a beautifully crafted open world that was very rewarding to explore. To give some idea, I was generally unimpressed with the set pieces in Dark Souls after playing Xenoblade (albeit using Dolphin).

Also, I don't know how you can call yourself a serious game reviewer without having played it :colbert:

I really do want to play it; the trailers made it look absolutely gorgeous and while I'm a crazy person that really liked FFXIII, it didn't fully scratch the itch of a big, freely roamable world like the PS2 JRPGs that were so plentiful last gen.

I wish I had time to actually play games, but literally the only one I've tried to play for fun is Deus Ex and even now I'm only to Montreal and there's no chance I'll be getting back to that for another couple weeks.

Between all the strategy guides and mock reviews and reviewer's guides and my site stuff, I simply don't have the time to play stuff for fun. My backlog has got to be dozens of games now -- if not hundreds. If I'm not doing it for work, I don't get to play anything else. Sad but oh so true.

I said come in! posted:

It's good if you're a Nintendo fanboy, but even then everything on it from Nintendo is just a rehash of games they've been making since the N64, with very little to no improvements. I dunno, the Wii didn't do anything for me, its library of games ended up being completely underwhelming.

No, it's good if you like playing games. Not everything has to be an HD eyegasm; it's about gameplay too, and the Wii definitely has some games that are a ton of fun to play. Being a weirdo who either doesn't like or outright hates some of the mainline Nintendo franchises doesn't preclude me from finding enjoyable games on the system, and if they didn't show up there, they wouldn't have shown up anywhere, so I'm glad I still own a Wii, and I'll be even more glad when Zelda shows up.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 8, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

I really do want to play it; the trailers made it look absolutely gorgeous and while I'm a crazy person that really liked FFXIII, it didn't fully scratch the itch of a big, freely roamable world like the PS2 JRPGs that were so plentiful last gen.

I wish I had time to actually play games, but literally the only one I've tried to play for fun is Deus Ex and even now I'm only to Montreal and there's no chance I'll be getting back to that for another couple weeks.

Between all the strategy guides and mock reviews and reviewer's guides and my site stuff, I simply don't have the time to play stuff for fun. My backlog has got to be dozens of games now -- if not hundreds. If I'm not doing it for work, I don't get to play anything else. Sad but oh so true.

This is why i'm glad I got out of writing about video games as some sort of job. It started to ruin games for me. Other than you, Hal and Panda, all of the other game writers i've ever met, are bitter and grumpy humanbeings.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This is why i'm glad I got out of writing about video games as some sort of job. It started to ruin games for me. Other than you, Hal and Panda, all of the other game writers i've ever met, are bitter and grumpy humanbeings.

Yeah, but as we've probably well established by now, I'm a crazy person who just loves games in general. If 15 years of reviewing literally thousands of games hasn't turn me into a jaded jerk who can't find joy in games others would write off, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Of course, that also means when a game that should be full of joy isn't, people are gonna hear about it. And then I'm going to hear about it from people who think I hate games, so I guess the circle is somehow complete?

Hal and Panda truly "get" the whole idea that we get to play a bunch of stuff and let people know what we think. I'm the luckiest bastard alive, and years like this one are the reason why I will never, ever stop appreciating that I get to do what I love for a living. Even if someone was only able to afford like two or three of the better games this year, they'd have years to slowly catch up and I don't think time will diminish some of the absolutely amazing treats we've gotten so far -- and there's more to come!

Ahhhhhhhh, awesome overload!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it depends on the game and the subject. Having to play something really lovely over and over is a lot different from something fun and interesting, but in actuality I find flawed games more interesting to write about. When a game is really really good, it is less interesting to discuss than a game that SHOULD have been good and wasn't.

I love discussing games but I honestly get the most enjoyment out of discussing what a 'bad' game did right or looking at the thought process behind a game's design or even looking at the weak points of a good game instead of just going "Welp, Arkham City sure kicked rear end..."

I still love playing games though. There have been only a small handful of games that I've absolutely loathed and those more often than not are absolute terrors or something whose plot/characters are offensive to me on a personal level. (Looking at you here, Metroid Other M.)

Honestly, I think one of the more frustrating aspects is something SamBishop mentioned above: Discussing the flaws in a game doesn't mean you hate it. Some of the games I love most in the world are games I'd freely and happily tell you did some incredibly stupid things. Liking games isn't about liking every aspect of them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 8, 2011

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head. The dissection of a game's mechanics or what could have worked with just a few tweaks is what keeps a lot of it interesting -- particularly now that I'm doing enough mock review stuff fairly early in the timeline of some games where I feel I can address that stuff before the game comes out (most of the time I think the devs know what went wrong and either couldn't get it switched up in time or would have had to gut the whole thing and start over from scratch).

By the same token, I have a ton of respect for guys like Ueda and Jaffe that are willing to completely scrap stuff when they see it isn't working. There's always the mystery of what might have been (and in a few very rare cases I get to actually see that stuff happening in real-time while working on a guide or something), but the whole development process in general fascinates me, and it's only going to get more interesting as everyone feels out things like digital distribution. In the past a game concept would have to be fully developed into something that would be generally deemed "worth" the cost of a full price game. Now, we can get neat little one-off experiments like Noby Noby Boy that may never have seen the light of day -- or would have been incredibly obscure like Vib Ripple.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Xenoblade is what FFXIII would've been if S-E wasn't populated by a bunch of retards. Monolith Soft took all the great elements of jRPGs and combined them for an amazing tour de force, whereas S-E took all the retarded elements of jRPGs and made a lackluster press x-button simulator.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Rated PG-34 posted:

Xenoblade is what FFXIII would've been if S-E wasn't populated by a bunch of retards. Monolith Soft took all the great elements of jRPGs and combined them for an amazing tour de force, whereas S-E took all the retarded elements of jRPGs and made a lackluster press x-button simulator.

You had to press L1 to change paradigms sometimes too :colbert:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shalinor posted:

Oblivion is the reason I'm holding off on Skyrim until proper reviews start coming in.

This is me too. I was really excited to play Oblivion based on the promise of what it could deliver. Giant fantasy world where you can go anywhere and do anything? Sign me the gently caress up. Trouble was, literally every single thing that it did, it did badly.

If Skyrim could be the Oblivion that I was promised, rather than the Oblivion that I got, I will buy the gently caress out of it. It's a game that I really, really want to play. Please be good Skyrim. :ohdear:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just have a sinking feeling that Skyrim is going to be more of the same. They can make incremental changes, but I'm totally not sold yet. I really enjoyed Oblivion, so I didn't hate it. With Fallout 3 and New Vegas virtually having the same play style, I hope Skyrim is a big enough departure to set itself away from past games and carve its own unique identity.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

OK, I've about loving had it with Arkham City and its "Advanced Training" mission. These things require loving nanosecond response times that are loving impossible for a human to do. :mad:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

...! posted:

OK, I've about loving had it with Arkham City and its "Advanced Training" mission. These things require loving nanosecond response times that are loving impossible for a human to do. :mad:

Nice to know that i've evolved beyond you mere humans then. :smug:

Which one are you having trouble with specifically?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

...! posted:

Let me guess: the one where you have to dive bomb down through the clown mouth? I still haven't gotten that one, but try reversing the controls for flight. Might help a little, though when I did it I had to re-train my brain from dozens of hours of prior experience. Some how pushing up at the last minute really feels more immediately instinctive than the weird joystick controls. I'll get it eventually, but there's so much other poo poo that's there to distract me.

Hell, I still don't even know how to start the Nora Freeze (Frieze?) missions.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SamBishop posted:

Let me guess: the one where you have to dive bomb down through the clown mouth? I still haven't gotten that one, but try reversing the controls for flight. Might help a little, though when I did it I had to re-train my brain from dozens of hours of prior experience. Some how pushing up at the last minute really feels more immediately instinctive than the weird joystick controls. I'll get it eventually, but there's so much other poo poo that's there to distract me.

Hell, I still don't even know how to start the Nora Freeze (Frieze?) missions.

Ease up on the left stick when you pull out of the dive. I was hitting the clown's teeth every goddamn time until I tried pulling out of the dive by just letting go of R2. A few more tweaks and I got it. It's definitely the hardest of the bunch, the rest took me no more than a couple of attempts each.

To find Nora Frieze, go to the docks where all the cranes and shipping freighters are, and on the south side there will be a destructible wall at the edge of the water. Ice grenade over to it, blow it up, and you'll find the backdoor to the room where they're keeping her.

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Has there been any official report on when/if we're getting new PS2 Classics?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

User Friendly posted:

Has there been any official report on when/if we're getting new PS2 Classics?

There are HUNDREDS of games prepped for release at some point. And that's first-phase. I know not the schedule, but there are so, SO many more coming, I promise. I apologize for not being able to say more, but I really need to get paid right now. Like, badly.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

All this Skyrim talk (in a console thread, gimme a break) when Saint's Row 3 is just around the corner.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

bubbapook posted:

Ease up on the left stick when you pull out of the dive. I was hitting the clown's teeth every goddamn time until I tried pulling out of the dive by just letting go of R2. A few more tweaks and I got it. It's definitely the hardest of the bunch, the rest took me no more than a couple of attempts each.

This is the secret right here - I'm not sure if this description is apt, but Batman's gliding controls kind of accelerate quickly. You have to be very gentle and pull out of turns and dives a hair earlier than when your eyes tell you to.

I eventually completed them all and trust me, if my rear end can do it, so can yours.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SamBishop posted:

There are HUNDREDS of games prepped for release at some point. And that's first-phase. I know not the schedule, but there are so, SO many more coming, I promise. I apologize for not being able to say more, but I really need to get paid right now. Like, badly.

I can't wait to see what's coming down the pipe. I'm also incredibly excited to see what Sony of Japan brings to the table, because god drat it'd be nice to finally get rid of my PS2 Slim and get my Japanese PS2 collection on digital.

Although it seems this week we're settling for Full Spectrum Warrior and a game that's already on PS3: Stuntman Ignition

XionPi
May 8, 2006

SamBishop posted:

Policenaut posted:

I can't wait to see what's coming down the pipe. I'm also incredibly excited to see what Sony of Japan brings to the table, because god drat it'd be nice to finally get rid of my PS2 Slim and get my Japanese PS2 collection on digital.

Although it seems this week we're settling for Full Spectrum Warrior and a game that's already on PS3: Stuntman Ignition

Really hoping for the Legacy of Kain series in the near future. Whether as PS2 Classics or HD Collection.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Wamdoodle posted:

You can buy PSN codes from Bestbuy.com now. They just do a search for "PSN Card" and look for the products labeled "Downloadable Content." I wish they had a $10 card there. It was quite handy when it was on Amazon. On that note, I'm not sure why Amazon stopped selling the codes.

Just saw something last night that I thought was pretty interesting, Costco (in canada at least) has $50 gamecards for $49.49.

I finally killed my launch PS3 with it's second yellow light error. I'll probably fix it when I get a new ps3 to unregister my account, unless they come out with that website where you can do it, then I won't bother trying to fix the drat thing.

Bad time of the year to be without a PS3, but I figure it will end up saving me money, and I can pick up the AAA titles once they drop in price.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The AR training missions in Arkham City are funny because the game would be better off without them, even if nothing had replaced them. Whoever made them spent time and money to make the game worse.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Moon Monster posted:

The AR training missions in Arkham City are funny because the game would be better off without them, even if nothing had replaced them. Whoever made them spent time and money to make the game worse.

Oh come on, they're not that bad. If anything, the sections where you're required to use the remote batarang to proceed were worse.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I didn't mind the AR training, but it would've been nice if it actually had any bearing on the rest of the game.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I traded in Dead Island for MW3. What a steaming pile of poo poo that is.

I know they are twitch shooters, but the default sensitivity is set to 2 and you just basically do a 180 by hitting the stick.

Just no fun. Luckily my brother in law loves them and was going to buy it, so i'm going to sell it to him for its normal price, pay the difference and get BF3.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I didn't mind the AR training, but it would've been nice if it actually had any bearing on the rest of the game.

Well I don't know about you but I totally kicked rear end on the Ra's challenge after beating all the AR training. It also made me a helluva lot better at flying through the city, which I enjoyed immensely.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

That scene basically becomes AR Training lite...

I guess the AR stuff does help to introduce some extra gameplay mechanics in an immersive (read: non-shoved in your face 'this is a tutorial time-out') fashion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the AR training was fun, but I loved the Super Mario glide mechanics. I think it could use a level between "sleepwalk" and "thread the needle" but I liked it. I think it would have made the game worse if the hard ones were required for anything but they're not. They're just for fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bubbapook posted:

Well I don't know about you but I totally kicked rear end on the Ra's challenge after beating all the AR training. It also made me a helluva lot better at flying through the city, which I enjoyed immensely.

That part is just really easy though. The first time I did it I never even dived and I got through it on my first try.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

bubbapook posted:

To find Nora Frieze, go to the docks where all the cranes and shipping freighters are, and on the south side there will be a destructible wall at the edge of the water. Ice grenade over to it, blow it up, and you'll find the backdoor to the room where they're keeping her.

I was definitely really close to getting it and just had to move on for the review, but yeah, letting off R2 was something I had figured out toward the end and I was alllmost there. I'm sure I'll get it... after a few dozen retries. Oddly, because it's optional, I don't get frustrated by it like I would if it was a forced part of the main game. Weird.

[edit] HA! ImpAtom beat me to it. That's what I get for leaving the tab open overnight.

The Moon Monster posted:

They really did make me better at the game, though. Granted, I haven't finished them all (why won't games stop coming out for a week or something so I can get a little free time?!), but I definitely picked up some skills that I probably wouldn't have without the training. When I finally do bomb through those goddamn clown teeth, I'm probably going to try it again even after the training is over just because it looks so cool.

The Flying Milton posted:

All this Skyrim talk (in a console thread, gimme a break) when Saint's Row 3 is just around the corner.

Speaking as someone who ran through Saints Row 3 this last weekend, I can state with authority that this thread will be filled with talk of the game when it comes out. I don't think the official thread will be able to contain the conversation. Man... that was a gooooooood weekend.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 8, 2011

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just wanted to remind people (or tell them for the first time) about the PS3 Goon Database. :)

http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/

You can click on the game to see who else has that game, and it's really convenient. Pretty convenient (it's in the OP of the general PS3 thread).

I didn't do this, just wanted to point it out.

...! posted:

I only visit the PS3 Bad Database. :colbert:
Oh god I'm sorry. :cry:

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 8, 2011

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I received my $10 PSN voucher and I want to buy 2/3s of a game. What would be a better investment? From Dust, Limbo, echochrome ii, or save it for Journey, or Trine2?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Urban Achiever posted:

This is the secret right here - I'm not sure if this description is apt, but Batman's gliding controls kind of accelerate quickly. You have to be very gentle and pull out of turns and dives a hair earlier than when your eyes tell you to.

I eventually completed them all and trust me, if my rear end can do it, so can yours.

My rear end prefers sitting on things rather than manipulating thumbsticks.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just wanted to remind people (or tell them for the first time) about the PS3 Good Database. :)

http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/

You can click on the game to see who else has that game, and it's really convenient. Pretty convenient (it's in the OP of the general PS3 thread).

I didn't do this, just wanted to point it out.

I only visit the PS3 Bad Database. :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Scyron posted:

I received my $10 PSN voucher and I want to buy 2/3s of a game. What would be a better investment? From Dust, Limbo, echochrome ii, or save it for Journey, or Trine2?

You may already know, but I should point out that Echochrome 2 requires a Move.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scyron posted:

Of the games already released, I'd say Limbo. From Dust really turned me off, Echochrome II requires a move. Trine 2 will probably be ok, but I was burned by Trine 1 and probably won't be buying it at release (at least not for full price). Journey looks like it will be gorgeous but I have no idea what it's like game play wise.

So: Limbo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So excited for more PS2 classics. Thanks for being this thread's biggest tease, Sam!

Here's hoping they release the full catalog of PS2 Beatmania games in time for the Beatmania HD release with new controller which they've got to be making at some point of course!! :shepface:

Also, anyone else notice this? In DX:HR, I feel like sometimes I just randomly get rewarded a bonus Praxis kit when I beat a mission. Like I'll start with zero, then clear the mission with I dunno 3-4k experience, causing me to go up a level. For some reason though, it'll say like "1 Praxis received, 2 Praxis total" or something. Do you just get bonus Praxis kits for beating levels? I know some side missions give you kits, but I swear maybe 2-3 times I've gotten one from a story mission seemingly out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I'm pretty sure it's just telling you what your total is, so you know you can level up something that costs 2 points for instance. So you had 1 point already, earned one from the mission, thus 2 in total.

• Locked thread