Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm trying to figure out how to use Google Voice to make free phonecalls over WiFi. I know the PC version of Google Voice lets you do it but the Voice App seems to only do voicemail.

In an earlier post in this thread I found this GrooVe IP app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip

Is this the solution to my problem? Is there maybe a better alternative or a free one or way to get Google Voice to do it its self?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Does anyone use any good dock screen replacements? The stock screen for Droid X2 is very generic, and doesn't have very intuitive shortcut controls. Every car dock app I've found just makes huge shortcuts that look awful and fills the screen with them. I tried a desk dock app as well, but they are not customizable at all and naturally don't have any navigation shortcuts since they're desk apps. All I want is something that displays a clock, maybe battery level, and allows for navigation, separate shortcuts for 2 music apps (PowerAmp or music mod depending on my mood, and Pandora) and my podcast app, and maybe the potential for one or two more. And I don't want it to look completely artifacted from blowing up the app icons to 500%.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Couldn't you just add another homescreen with the shortcuts you mentioned?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NewcastleBrown posted:

I have a Dropbox question.

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

Kyrosiris posted:

It's worth nothing that Estrong's File Explorer can both work with Dropbox and syncs properly down to your desktop/laptop/dog.

And it's free.
Quoting this because sometimes things get lost as the last post on a page. ES File Explorer does such a good job at Dropbox that the Dropbox app is entirely unnecessary.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Janin posted:

Does anybody know a drawing-based notes app that syncs with dropbox?

Ideally, I could open it up, sketch out some stuff, click save (or have autosave), and it would put a .png in Dropbox/Notes/.

All the notes apps I can find that have dropbox integration are just text editors.

You could try Skitch and share to the Dropbox app/one of the other Note apps which have dropbox sync. If you're only using DB for the sync, you could try the Evernote/Skitch combo instead for a more seamless integration.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Quoting this because sometimes things get lost as the last post on a page. ES File Explorer does such a good job at Dropbox that the Dropbox app is entirely unnecessary.

I've actually had some problems with ES's handling of Dropbox. It seems that every time I transfer multiple files from my phone to my Public Dropbox folder, it goes super slow and sometimes doesn't get past the first file without just stalling. And these are like 300 KB files. I've kept the Dropbox app around for this reason, but I wish I didn't have to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexMoron posted:

I've actually had some problems with ES's handling of Dropbox. It seems that every time I transfer multiple files from my phone to my Public Dropbox folder, it goes super slow and sometimes doesn't get past the first file without just stalling. And these are like 300 KB files. I've kept the Dropbox app around for this reason, but I wish I didn't have to.
I thought that was fixed a couple ES updates ago? I've had that problem but it's since gone away (either that or I'm not uploading as much as I used to).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

NewcastleBrown posted:

I just moved a folder into my Dropbox folder on my phone, but it doesn't show up in Dropbox, either on my phone or my computer. Do I have to manually Upload each individual file in the folder, or am I missing something?

When you put files into your Dropbox on the phone, they should show up immediately on your PC and on the web interface. The problem is when you put files into your Dropbox folder on your PC, those do not get pushed automatically to your phone; you have to manually download each one and can't even do it a folder at a time. Thank god someone made Dropsync, which takes care of this issue pretty drat perfectly.

I have a question of my own: I really like Folder Organizer. Is there anything that auto-tags apps that integrates with it? I remember in the last thread AutoAppOrganizer was mentioned as a candidate but I put them in a cage together for a whole week and they still haven't mated.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splizwarf posted:

When you put files into your Dropbox on the phone, they should show up immediately on your PC and on the web interface.

I don't think this happens for me. I'm pretty sure I have to manually hit "upload" for each file. Not too big a deal for me, but I'm glad to know there's an automatic syncing option. I may also have some settings set weird.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to use Google Voice to make free phonecalls over WiFi. I know the PC version of Google Voice lets you do it but the Voice App seems to only do voicemail.

In an earlier post in this thread I found this GrooVe IP app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip

Is this the solution to my problem? Is there maybe a better alternative or a free one or way to get Google Voice to do it its self?

There's currently no way to do it automatically. There are a couple of different methods to make it work. It's a little kludgy, but it works great (co-worker is using his son's old Epic4G as a WiFi VOIP phone without issues).

I'm assuming that the GrooVe IP app is doing something similar.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

AlexDeGruven posted:

There's currently no way to do it automatically. There are a couple of different methods to make it work. It's a little kludgy, but it works great (co-worker is using his son's old Epic4G as a WiFi VOIP phone without issues).

Yes, and it integrates pretty well with your Google Voice number and native dialer.

GrooveIP will also work over your data plan, useful if you have more data than minutes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

I don't think this happens for me. I'm pretty sure I have to manually hit "upload" for each file. Not too big a deal for me, but I'm glad to know there's an automatic syncing option. I may also have some settings set weird.

I think you can set it to only synch when you're on wifi, maybe that's what's going on? Also, I could be wrong because I've been using Dropsynch with Dropbox for a while; it's seamless, like two halves of an eggshell, and I don't have to care anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Go Launcher since some time in August, but occasionally the Facebook and Twitter widgets don't update, even though I have them set to update every hour. It might be related to Juice Defender, but I thought that was supposed to allow things like widgets to update. Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a fix?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ciabatta posted:

When you put files into Dropbox using the client app it's pushed up to the cloud automatically, but if you drop something into the sdcard\dropbox\ folder using a file manager or something, it won't. I don't think Android lets an app 'watch' a directory in the same way as a desktop client can.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

spincube posted:

When you put files into Dropbox using the client app it's pushed up to the cloud automatically, but if you drop something into the sdcard\dropbox\ folder using a file manager or something, it won't. I don't think Android lets an app 'watch' a directory in the same way as a desktop client can.

This is how it works for me. I "share" a picture with dropbox on my phone and it syncs up automatically. Never tried it the other way.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

LastInLine posted:

Is there anything I need to do to get this set up? Can I just move files to my /sdcard/dropbox folder and they'll sync if I use ES File Explorer?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NewcastleBrown posted:

Is there anything I need to do to get this set up? Can I just move files to my /sdcard/dropbox folder and they'll sync if I use ES File Explorer?

No, in ES File Explorer, once you set up your Dropbox information, you copy something and then, in the upper left, touch the dropdown that says Local and touch Net, then it goes right to your Dropbox folder.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

No, in ES File Explorer, once you set up your Dropbox information, you copy something and then, in the upper left, touch the dropdown that says Local and touch Net, then it goes right to your Dropbox folder.

You don't even need to use the dropdown anymore, just swipe to the left or right.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LastInLine posted:

You don't even need to use the dropdown anymore, just swipe to the left or right.

Well holy poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Well holy poo poo.

I know, isn't that loving awesome? I love ES.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

AlexDeGruven posted:

How exactly do I do it with the kludgy methods? I'd like to try to get it to work before I drop any money on a VOIP app.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My Facebook app doesn't want me to be social anymore. Whenever I follow a notification to a post, I can read the post and the comments, but the comment box that lets me reply is gone. Is anybody else having this problem? It's particularly weird because as far as I can tell, the app just loads the mobile site when viewing posts, and the comment box still shows up there.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

StickFigs posted:

How exactly do I do it with the kludgy methods? I'd like to try to get it to work before I drop any money on a VOIP app.

GrooveIP is the simplest and it works as long as it has data.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

landis posted:

GrooveIP is the simplest and it works as long as it has data.

It sounds like there might be a way to do it with Google Voice and some finagling though, I'd rather try that first.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

StickFigs posted:

It sounds like there might be a way to do it with Google Voice and some finagling though, I'd rather try that first.

None that I'm aware of, other than getting a SIP number which has its own costs and headaches. I've looked into this myself and GrooveIP is pretty much the only solution. I guess we'll see what the other guy says.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
I am switching over to Opera mobile in the wake of the Dolphin web zine fiasco. I already like the compression it uses to speed things up.

How do I go about importing my Dolphin bookmarks over to Opera?

Should I consider any other browsers?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm having some annoying issues with the new Amazon App Store app. It will either poo poo out a persistent notification onto my status bar and just have it sit there stuck at 0% or it will download the app but refuse to let me install it. Anyone else having issues?

Edit: had to uninstall, even after a reboot the persistent notifications were still there.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 11, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Here's my theory: Amazon has an App Store because having an app store was really trendy when they got theirs, but now like a designer puppy any long-term investment made by idiots following the latest "hip thing", it languishes in despair while its owner goes out and chases something new and interesting. Amazon hates you and wishes you would leave it alone.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 11, 2011

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Splizwarf posted:

Amazon has an App Store because having an app store was really trendy when they got theirs, but now like a designer puppy any long-term investment made by idiots following the latest "hip thing", it languishes in despair while its owner goes out and chases something new and interesting.
The stupidest thing is that they still haven't managed to rig up support for Europe. I would've bought so much crap there already, but I guess they don't want my money.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Splizwarf posted:

Amazon has an App Store because having a successful app store makes 30% of any purchase made on that app store, and they knew they were releasing tablets that would only be able to purchase apps from their app store, thus securing a new stream of revenue.

^^ I think they were probably thinking more like this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh god, are you saying the Fire is running Android and locked to the Amazon App Store? :suicide:

I hadn't paid much attention to it since I've always had a boner for a Nook Color and they just did the best thing developers can ever do in my book: make the exact same thing only more betterer in every way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Oh god, are you saying the Fire is running Android and locked to the Amazon App Store? :suicide:

I hadn't paid much attention to it since I've always had a boner for a Nook Color and they just did the best thing developers can ever do in my book: make the exact same thing only more betterer in every way.
Unless someone roots it and gets custom ROMs running on it, yes, you'll be locked into Amazon's ecosystem. It's Android underneath the skin, but it's not a Google-supported device and it will need to be hacked in order to do Google things.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

I can only imagine it will be able to use the android market as well. But then again, Amazon is probably one of the only people out there with enough coin to pull at Google's pursestrings.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Amazon has said they will let people root it, a lot people have taken this to mean mean we'll have complete control over the device. I can't see it being that easy, they might let us root it but with them actually losing money on every device it's in their best interest to keep it locked down to some extent. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Codiusprime posted:

Amazon has said they will let people root it, a lot people have taken this to mean mean we'll have complete control over the device. I can't see it being that easy, they might let us root it but with them actually losing money on every device it's in their best interest to keep it locked down to some extent. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

They've said they won't fight people rooting it. No one knows how hard or easy that will be to do.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Codiusprime posted:

It's never been confirmed that they are losing money on each device. Estimates have run from 150-210 for actual production costs.

And trust me, the fact that it wont be locked down and will sell millions means that there is going to be a huge active dev scene.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Haha, "You're welcome to use my car any time you want. Looking for the keys? I left them on the moon."

"Also I filled it with cement."

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

the fact that it wont be locked down

This is exactly what I'm saying, we don't know this.

But yea I think you're right as far as the dev scene goes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Splizwarf posted:

Haha, "You're welcome to use my car any time you want. Looking for the keys? I left them on the moon."

"Also I filled it with cement."

This is pretty much how I see it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that they've locked it down as well as is fiscally feasible (which could be pretty drat tight if they have good programmers), but if someone finds an exploit, they won't actively attempt to fix it (unless it has a real security implication as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, this news came in about the fire today.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kindle-fire-wont-run-all-android-apps-amputates-apis/

Apparently it's not API complete so some Android apps won't be able to run on it.

• Locked thread