Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
He's not in DX:HR is he? I didn't think I heard him but who knows.

Speaking of, still owns, plowin' through the last of the trophies. This is one of the few games where I played through, maybe took 30-35 hours on the first playthrough, started my second run through immediately and am still having a ton of fun playing. It's also way easier in some ways, despite the higher difficulty level, to the point where I was constantly out of tranq darts the first time but have kept 30+ the entire game so far just got to the hideout in the second trip to Detroit, after confronting Taggart.

I want an even higher difficulty level where the guards walk random paths. That'd be fun. A lot of the difficulty that could be there is missing because of how predictable the guards are.

e. I was thinking too about features the game could've benefited from. I really wish there was a "knock" button like MGS. I know, I can just shoot a tranq round or silenced shot and the guards will go investigate, but I really wish there was just a "slide up against the wall, hit square to knock" "Huh? What was that noise?" function.

I really can't think of any additional augs I'd want though. The game gives you a pretty good collection of them. Maybe something like a Megaman style arm cannon or something, like a last resort, not particularly strong but last-ditch type of projectile cannon you could embed in your hand or something. Silenced maybe?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

I was thinking too about features the game could've benefited from. I really wish there was a "knock" button like MGS. I know, I can just shoot a tranq round or silenced shot and the guards will go investigate, but I really wish there was just a "slide up against the wall, hit square to knock" "Huh? What was that noise?" function.

This, a thousand times this. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't include that in a game that you can play through like 97% of as an invisible ghost/assassin.

e: It wouldn't even have to be so low-tech, how about a voice-altering aug so you can sound like a commander and yell out misleading orders?

vvvv You're missing the point :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You could always just jump in place or run to make noise.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chard posted:

e: It wouldn't even have to be so low-tech, how about a voice-altering aug so you can sound like a commander and yell out misleading orders?

Oh THAT would be cool.

In my mind I kind of saw something that wouldn't trigger "alerted" status like Adam jumping up and down would. Oh, maybe he could get an aug to produce kitten noises! Then the guards could come by, thinking hell yes, I'm gonna pet a kitTHUMP

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can anyone offer their opinion on these?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-98085-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0053OLY9O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm donating my current bluetooth headset to my brother so I'd like to pick up another one, and that Sony pair has pretty solid reviews.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nolan North is in like, everything though. And he's actually really talented and has a really wide range, he's the Penguin in Arkham City and all of the Personality Spheres at the end of Portal 2

Is he some of the thugs in Arkham City too? I could've sworn I heard him as one of them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a shameful boehner posted:

Can anyone offer their opinion on these?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-98085-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B0053OLY9O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm donating my current bluetooth headset to my brother so I'd like to pick up another one, and that Sony pair has pretty solid reviews.

Was excited for it since day it was announced. Bought it. Received it. Made a sad face. Returned it to Best Buy.

Let's see:

No bass whatsoever. Check.
lovely positional sound. Check.
Leaks sound like a seive. Check.
Kindof huge and retarded looking. That's a check.

I know it's out of people's price ranges who are considering that, but I'm going to be grabbing an Astro A40 Wireless system for Xmas, I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I know it's out of people's price ranges who are considering that, but I'm going to be grabbing an Astro A40 Wireless system for Xmas, I think.

I have the wired ones, they're great.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

I have the wired ones, they're great.

I know this isn't the thread for it, so I'll just quickly state that hearing this makes me happy. I am very excited. I live in a studio with my Wife, and she doesn't care at all that I game, but doesn't wanna listen to all that noise.

How's the bass? I don't need Dr Dre's super low frequency headshaker bass, but the Sony ones were SO flat it took the oomph out of things that should have been punchy. Is the bass solid?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been thinking about getting Sony's official Bluetooth headset, does anyone have any impressions on that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it, so I'll just quickly state that hearing this makes me happy. I am very excited. I live in a studio with my Wife, and she doesn't care at all that I game, but doesn't wanna listen to all that noise.

How's the bass? I don't need Dr Dre's super low frequency headshaker bass, but the Sony ones were SO flat it took the oomph out of things that should have been punchy. Is the bass solid?

Well, I don't really have anything else to compare it to so I don't really know. Not a big audio person, I'm not the one who bought them. Everything sounds good to me.

Just do note that MW3's sound engine isn't like MW2's. It's a lot like Black Ops, you get vague directions but not sonar like you used to.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Feenix posted:

negative Sony Headset review

Wow, I was all set to buy these off Amazon. What would you recommend around the same price range?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

Well, I don't really have anything else to compare it to so I don't really know. Not a big audio person, I'm not the one who bought them. Everything sounds good to me.

Just do note that MW3's sound engine isn't like MW2's. It's a lot like Black Ops, you get vague directions but not sonar like you used to.

gently caress MW3.
Just sayin'. ;)

Policenaut: The Official BT Headset sounds great. My issue with it is comfort. It's all hard edged, and maybe it's just me, but after like 45 minutes of play, the part of the speaker that physically makes contact with my inner ear starts to make my inner ear area loving BURN and hurt. Just sensitive there I guess. I can't wear it for long. Sound-wise it's pretty rad.

Shameful boehner: In the Sony price range, that's hard to say. I feel like that price range is pretty limiting. CNET recommends that before the A40 Astros came along, there was the Logitech F540's, which are good, but were a little light on the bass.

Bear in mind something, though. The Astro A40s are "wireless" sortof. There is NO wire going from the ps3 (or your receiver) to your person. You are untethered. HOWEVER, your headphones (either the Astro made ones, or ANY headphones you own/like) are plugged into the Mixamp which as a little dial and mixer and is made to come with you. So it goes:

Headphones ->Mixamp (WIRELESSNESS) Receiver->PS3

My point in all that is that you can buy the Astro Mixamp and Receiver for like $139.99 Then you just use whatever headphones (or headset with mic) that you like.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cbouncerrun posted:

Is he some of the thugs in Arkham City too? I could've sworn I heard him as one of them.

Yup, he was one of them. And so was Steve Blum (not like that was a surprise). Not as prevalent in this one though

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Wow, I was all set to buy these off Amazon. What would you recommend around the same price range?

I bought these a few months ago, plugged them into my sound system, and they are fantastic, although it appears Amazon is a bit picked over at the moment. They're not surround sound or anything like that, but they seem to be pretty good if you don't want to pay 150+ (assuming you have something to plug it into, I'm not sure if the PS3 has the appropriate jacks by itself, I've never looked, but presumably your TV would).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YHDJ52/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details

Palleon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 11, 2011

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Policenaut posted:

I've been thinking about getting Sony's official Bluetooth headset, does anyone have any impressions on that?

I like it. It sounds really good and my friends say that I am very easy to hear. However, it is uncomfortable as gently caress. It's not so bad at first, but after a while my ear would just start hurting.

I have the original one (the one that came with Tom Clancy's Endwar) and apparently there's been a revision since then but I dunno if it was with comfort in mind.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Palleon posted:

I bought these a few months ago, plugged them into my sound system, and they are fantastic, although it appears Amazon is a bit picked over at the moment. They're not surround sound or anything like that, but they seem to be pretty good if you don't want to pay 150+ (assuming you have something to plug it into, I'm not sure if the PS3 has the appropriate jacks by itself, I've never looked, but presumably your TV would).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YHDJ52/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there anything wireless that anyone has experience with? I'm think about picking up this headset instead:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Bluetooth-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B001BR95PW

It's cheaper and has similar reviews without having (apparently) the sort of wireless interference issues of the headset.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Feenix posted:

Shameful boehner: In the Sony price range, that's hard to say. I feel like that price range is pretty limiting. CNET recommends that before the A40 Astros came along, there was the Logitech F540's, which are good, but were a little light on the bass.

The Astros look good but I can't afford dropping $275+ on a headset. I think I may just go with the official BT headset, I guess.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there anything wireless that anyone has experience with? I'm think about picking up this headset instead:

It's cheaper and has similar reviews without having (apparently) the sort of wireless interference issues of the headset.

Yes, 2 of us have now referenced that headset by stating the sound quality is awesome and there is a good chance your ear will ACHE to high heaven within an hour's time.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Feenix posted:

Yes, 2 of us have now referenced that headset by stating the sound quality is awesome and there is a good chance your ear will ACHE to high heaven within an hour's time.

It looks like there's a more recent version that came out around last year. Reading through the Amazon reviews it seems like that one is a little bit more comfortable ergonomically.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

This is what I use and it's awesome, though it can get a bit uncomfortable after being worn for a long time (then I just switch ears). You should get it so I can hear your complete sentences in Battlefield 3.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

This may be more exciting to people who have read the books or seen the series: an action RPG based on Game of Thrones is in the works for PS3, 360, PC. It's being developed by Cyanide, published by Atlus.

Source: http://rpgfan.com/news/2011/2410.html

Cyanide is also working on another action RPG. Apparently they made Loki, which I don't remember hearing good things about.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, MGS Peacewalker HD is being sold alone for 5000 yen in Japan for the download version, while the disc version of all three of them is about 20% less than that much in America? I should be surprised but I am not, Japanese tolerate absolutely loving insane prices for games and stuff sometimes. And yet their game (and anime) business over there is in the shitter. Come on Japan, it's time to put two and two together here...

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

This may be more exciting to people who have read the books or seen the series: an action RPG based on Game of Thrones is in the works for PS3, 360, PC. It's being developed by Cyanide, published by Atlus.

Source: http://rpgfan.com/news/2011/2410.html

Cyanide is also working on another action RPG. Apparently they made Loki, which I don't remember hearing good things about.

Here we go - it'll be the same gaming arc that we saw with the Lord of the Rings movies.

A couple of action RPGs followed by an RTS or two. We'll probably get at least one cancelled project and then, to top it all off, an MMORPG. Oh, and a flash game and a Facebook game as well. One will include a midget tossing minigame.

Okay, I'm on board for that last one.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Except the Action LOTR games were actually kind of fun for what they were. These games are either just going to be a rehash of that kind of stuff or probably worse, so they'll have to entirely lean on people impulse buying it because they like the series.

Or maybe it'll be good, but the chances are pretty slim.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
So I'm FINALLY getting a PS3 this Christmas.

Can you guys suggest what type of headset to get and what games are a must buy.

I already have GTA IV and AVP.

I plan on getting:
GTA: Gay tony etc
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire
Heavy Rain

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

sentrygun posted:

Except the Action LOTR games were actually kind of fun for what they were. These games are either just going to be a rehash of that kind of stuff or probably worse, so they'll have to entirely lean on people impulse buying it because they like the series.

Or maybe it'll be good, but the chances are pretty slim.

I actually dug the RTS, too!

But I do remember game after game after game... They managed to squeeze every ounce of blood out of that license.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Urban Achiever posted:

I actually dug the RTS, too!

But I do remember game after game after game... They managed to squeeze every ounce of blood out of that license.

I never played the RTS (plus I'm not a fan of RTS games so I'd probably dislike it anyways) but yeah, at least they made some pretty decent games with that now-dry husk of a license.

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

There's a whole section for this in the OP, and it's got plenty of good suggestions. Headset-wise though, I'm not sure, but there was some headset chat earlier on this page that would probably work fine.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I plan on getting:
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire
Heavy Rain

I'm getting a real adventure game vibe from your choices, so I'm going to suggest Dark Souls and the Uncharted series :) All solid adventure games, and moments where your jaws will drop.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Urban Achiever posted:

A couple of action RPGs followed by an RTS or two. We'll probably get at least one cancelled project and then, to top it all off, an MMORPG. Oh, and a flash game and a Facebook game as well. One will include a midget tossing minigame.
Close. Apparently the RTS came first, also developed by Cyanide. I guess it bodes well that apparently nobody knows this exists. Except for the 34 critics providing it with a metascore of 53.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn it. I just bought Skyrim and am just into it for a few hours and now Dark Souls just turned up (6 weeks late too I might add)

Now which do I play first?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

I plan on getting:
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire
Heavy Rain

You picked an awesome time to get a PS3, there are so many good games out that are really cheap. In addition to what other people have suggested, especially if you have a buddy to play co-op with, Saints Row 2. It is dirty cheap and hilarious especially compared to GTA.

I would get and play Red Dead first. It is an incredibly awesome game, easily one of the best current generation games. I suggest you turn off the mini map though, it really lets you focus on the scenery instead of following a little yellow line.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 11, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Puddin posted:

Goddamn it. I just bought Skyrim and am just into it for a few hours and now Dark Souls just turned up (6 weeks late too I might add)

Now which do I play first?

Play Dark Souls first in my opinion. Skyrim is good, but it's weighed down heavily by a lot of bugs.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
Thanks people. I forgot about Uncharted. Saw the clip for Uncharted 2 where the helicopter blows up the building that your in. It was pants wetting worthy. Is Uncharted 1 awesome, or should I start with 2?

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

Thanks people. I forgot about Uncharted. Saw the clip for Uncharted 2 where the helicopter blows up the building that your in. It was pants wetting worthy. Is Uncharted 1 awesome, or should I start with 2?

I'd say Uncharted 1 is worth it, though there are some people that don't really care for it. If you skip to Uncharted 2 there is some character stuff that you might miss, but it's not critical for you to enjoy the second.

If you do decide to get both there is a dual pack you could get that has both uncharted 1 and 2 for just 40 bucks.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Play Uncharted 1 first because UC2 is much better and you won't want to go back to UC1. Plus it's not super long.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I said come in! posted:

Skyrim is good, but it's weighed down heavily by a lot of bugs.

It's a Bethesda game so this really goes without saying.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

While Skyrim is definitely an improvement over past Bethesda incarnations, I can't help but feel that it's still a bit of a lackluster and sterile experience, especially just after playing Dark Souls. None of the characters seem to have any real character or charm; there's just nordic guy #432 and nordic girl #5833 and too often they act too nice or too predictably. Plus the melee combat, while improved, is still pretty boring and simplistic. Granted, I'm only a few hours in, so perhaps things will improve down the line.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

While Skyrim is definitely an improvement over past Bethesda incarnations, I can't help but feel that it's still a bit of a lackluster and sterile experience, especially just after playing Dark Souls. None of the characters seem to have any real character or charm; there's just nordic guy #432 and nordic girl #5833 and too often they act too nice or too predictably. Plus the melee combat, while improved, is still pretty boring and simplistic. Granted, I'm only a few hours in, so perhaps things will improve down the line.

I played all afternoon yesterday, and i'm starting to agree with you here. I dunno, I like the game, where I hated Oblivion, but this is starting to feel more like it's a major patch for Oblivion, then it is a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Spite posted:

Play Uncharted 1 first because UC2 is much better and you won't want to go back to UC1. Plus it's not super long.
Yeah. UC1 is a great game that should be played regardless. UC1 establishes characters, but it is a separate story, so play it first. UC2 improves over UC1 in every way, making it nigh impossible to go back to UC1. Then once UC2 is over with, you can play UC3. :)

• Locked thread