Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

AlexMoron posted:

You're thinking of OptiMine. That was by Scaevolus who is indeed a goon. I don't know what happened in the transfer over to OptiFine, but it seems to be some money-hungry MCF user (given the fact that all of the links for OptiFine are AdF.ly links, and now this) has taken over.

I found that out after posting in the thread, yeah. I was wondering what was going on when I saw those AdF.ly links. Good to know it wasn't our guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MikeJF posted:

I just noticed that according to Jens' twitter, they wanted to buy Optifine and integrate it into the Minecraft code, but couldn't agree on the cost with the mod maker. :bang:

Damnit, Minecraft really could have used those improvements.

They could just take it

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm positive whatever they offered him was ridiculously more than whatever he makes off adfly and donations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

The guy has a chance to make a huge difference for everyone playing, get recognition among millions, and even make money off it.
And he turns it down because it's not enough.
They should just contact Scaevolus. Is Optifine really that good?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

fondue posted:

They should just contact Scaevolus. Is Optifine really that good?

Pretty sure they used Scaevolus' save system and optimizations earlier in the dev cycle.

That said, here's a screen shot of where a chasm intersects an abandoned mine. I think I've got about half the mine explored, next, the chasm. That's going to be a hoot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Vib Rib posted:

The guy has a chance to make a huge difference for everyone playing, get recognition among millions, and even make money off it.
And he turns it down because it's not enough.

I'm just imagining this dude as Dr. Evil now.

"I will sell you the code for a hundred million dollars!"

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
http://p.twimg.com/Ad9quNlCQAEdpu4.jpg

Dual wielding confirmed for release.

ed: To Optim/fine topic: god dammit, I've always wondered why Notch didn't implement that mod into the official game. Now I know why. Now I am sad. :( MCF users.. why..

moondust fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 11, 2011

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Boat posted:

That said, here's a screen shot of where a chasm intersects an abandoned mine. I think I've got about half the mine explored, next, the chasm. That's going to be a hoot.
I returned to Minecraft yesterday after staying away from it for months after hearing about the update which brings the chasms and the Endermen. So far I have only managed to mine a cave in which I survived the first night, so I haven't seen the new features yet. I have to ask then, does anything... happen in the game? Is there anything else to explore than "here's a new room/space, it looks like this, proceed forward".

If only Minecraft were combined with Dwarf Fortress, it would be the perfect game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The new areas are just interesting to explore, although you might not run into one. Some of them, like the fortress (Which you will never find ever) are supposed to get a bunch of additions that lead to another nethery place. For now, they're just a change of scenery and the abandoned mines are handy for getting cart tracks.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Okay, I was expecting something like that. I think just exploring is fun sometimes. What additions are probably coming then? Any stuff that adds liveliness in the game? Right now it's only a bunch of animals roaming around at day and creepers at night.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Psalmanazar posted:

...the fortress (Which you will never find ever)...

You can find the stronghold fairly easily in the 1.9pre since they put in this cool thing where you craft the Ender Pearls the Endermen drop into Eyes of Ender, and then when you throw them into the air, they land in the direction of the stronghold.

Just make sure you have a few on hand, because occasionally they'll pop across dimensions back into the Ender.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm still playing on 1.8, so I must be behind the times.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Deadmau5 has been confirmed for Minecon :stare:

I guess this is actually a real big event then rather than just a tiny convention?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Deadmau5 has been confirmed for Minecon :stare:

I guess this is actually a real big event then rather than just a tiny convention?

Oh dear. The mental image I have in my head now of a bunch of socially retarded minecraft sperglords "dancing" is fairly awful and actually pretty much exactly like this scene in Bronson:

http://youtu.be/vIEH_KZ-wmI

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm guessing it's a fairly big event, but Deadmau5 is a fan of Minecraft anyway, he's used minecraft visuals in his stage show and posted some videos on youtube of him playing the game in the past, so he might have agreed to play it even if it's not that huge.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Maybe Minecon will turn out to be a fun event, after all, minecraft's enormous popularity is based mostly on it's accessibility to people from so many walks of life. The majority of people who play minecraft are normal, average people, moms and little brothers and your neighbor's pool guy. Not every fan of Minecraft is a lunatic from the official forums. At least... I. HOPE. NOT.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

a starwar betamax posted:

Maybe Minecon will turn out to be a fun event, after all, minecraft's enormous popularity is based mostly on it's accessibility to people from so many walks of life. The majority of people who play minecraft are normal, average people, moms and little brothers and your neighbor's pool guy. Not every fan of Minecraft is a lunatic from the official forums. At least... I. HOPE. NOT.

I mean, I would imagine it'd be like Blizzcon. A much much bigger event obviously, but overall it seems like a pretty fun event, despite a good amount of complete weirdos there (though really, everyone there is there bcause they are a total nerd, there's no being "cool" at Blizzcon). I imagine Minecon would be the same type of thing. It'll probably be a fun event with a handful of supernerd weirdos there.

I also think it's pretty cool that Simon and Lewis were invited. They're just good spokespeople for the game I think. (the trailer with Simon bursting through the wall was pretty funny)

Bag of Carpets
Dec 20, 2010
I'm sure it's been done many times by others but I just had the bright idea to write down the seed for my developed world and create a brand new map with the seed to see the changes. It's pretty cool how fast something can develop.

(5143646575139042679 for anyone who wants a solid, interesting seed with a good "overhanging" cave to build a home in. I'm running 1.8. Village is north-west.)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mcedit is so awesome it makes me dream that I ran a server and other people played on the seed i created. I just wish it would align rail tracks the correct way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

jeb posted:

So here's the 6th beta 1.9 prerelease: http://t.co/9W9uHRgD

:woop:

Apparently this is all bugfixes still. Endermen still have zombie voices :(

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
They won't get new sounds until the full update comes out, if then.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Amppelix posted:

:woop:

Apparently this is all bugfixes still. Endermen still have zombie voices :(

NPCs still don't *do* anything. Except wander about looking angry.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Moved over to pre 6, hopped in game into my house, and I found out that doors are bugged. Craaappp... I'll have to get a copy of pre 5 and re-overwrite.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

soupcan58 posted:

Moved over to pre 6, hopped in game into my house, and I found out that doors are bugged. Craaappp... I'll have to get a copy of pre 5 and re-overwrite.

Same here. Doors are completely hosed for me ATM.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So minecraft has an ending now.

Go to the end, kill the enderdragon, it should create a return portal where the dragon died, go in the portal

And all I have to say is:

What the gently caress was that?

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Looks like the bug is actually that you have to use redstone to open wooden doors in pre 6. Good thing I found pre 5 again.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

A Sassy Dog posted:

http://p.twimg.com/Ad9quNlCQAEdpu4.jpg

Dual wielding confirmed for release.

Now they just need to put in shields. :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

soupcan58 posted:

Here's a link to pre 5, if anyone else wants to revert: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre5/minecraft.jar

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
edit: nvm

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tinaun posted:

So minecraft has an ending now.

Go to the end, kill the enderdragon, it should create a return portal where the dragon died, go in the portal

And all I have to say is:

What the gently caress was that?

Explain? Or did absolutely nothing happen?

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's a long scrolling dialogue about how the Minecraft world is a dream or something, and you're reading the thoughts of two entities: Blue Text and Green Text. They tell the story of real life and ones and zeroes and blah blah blah, it's all really long-winded "deep" bullshit, feels out of place and goes on for way too loving long.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The ending to Minecraft should be way closer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHU2eqCEJ4o

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

After jumping into the return portal, you get a long text, followed by credits. I don't really know what it means.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

tinaun posted:

long text

Taking yourself a bit too seriously, wouldn't you say Markus???

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
That is seriously the dumbest loving gaming-related thing I've ever seen. I've defended basically every pretentious indie game to come out, from Braid to Passage, but holy gently caress, that ending is a loving abomination. It's like Mojang hired M. Night Shyamalan's fanfic-writing twin.

(boss fight looks kinda neat though)

Here it is, if for some reason you loving love scrolling text:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ThL-9mQU0

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

tinaun posted:

After jumping into the return portal, you get a long text, followed by credits. I don't really know what it means.

Well that's weird. So is Minecraft actually an ARG or something? Also I hope it's a joke because it's pretty dumb.

Kind of want to play Mother 3 again though.

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 11, 2011

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Holy loving poo poo this has got to be the most loving terrible and awkward game ending in history.

I mean like CONGRATULATIONS YOU WON!! and some dumb stats would be better than Philosophy 098 with Notch.

Jesus Minecraft is really a silly game about building American flags and treasure vaults and replacing your friend's floor with pink wool while he's in combat with a spider, not contemplating existence or whatever the hell he's trying to do there.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 11, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think it would be hilarious if they added this 1.9.6 and then never acknowledged it ever happened once they do the official release.

Although, what I really hope is that they make the end game explanation procedurally generated. It would be fitting and cause a lot of :wtf:s

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
It would have been neat if they did something small-scale that put your gameplay into perspective, like maybe a few paragraphs with some nice art that describes your hero's journey or whatever, kinda like the end of Marathon Infinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f5vbzZyIjs

But no. Scrolling loving text. Ugh.

Of course, one byproduct of this game's ridiculously open development cycle, combined with a lack of real objectives, is that the ending is basically pointless. Game over, now go and play more like you have been for the last two years or whatever. But regardless, literally anything would be a better ending. gently caress, just show a congratulations screen and an "achievement unlocked: beat game" popup. Anything but this piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anal Tributary posted:

But no. Scrolling loving text. Ugh.

Even scrolling text would have been tolerable if it was just "You planted the Netherdragon's head on your wall as a pretty cool accessory. Then a creeper blew up. Great job!"

But no it's really dumb and pretentious.

quote:

Sometimes the player created a small, private world that was soft and warm and simple. Sometimes hard, and cold, and complicated. Sometimes it built a model of the universe in its head; flecks of energy, moving through vast empty spaces. Sometimes it called those flecks "electrons" and "protons".

Sometimes it called them "planets" and "stars".

It's like something i'd expect forwarded from grandma who just figured out email and ends it with MAKES U THINK....