Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Feenix posted:

It's a lot of people's opinions that it's poo poo. I know it's your opinion. I'm just stating that it's not unequivocally broken. Lots of people just don't like it. There's a big difference.

Also I didn't have to manage anything.(And it sounds like plenty of others here didn't either.) If there wasn't such an overblown hubbub on the internet I would have never known there was anything allegedly odd with the aiming at all.

I think it's super cool ND is willing to try and appease those complaining. I finished the campaign but may play it again on crushing one day. Here's hoping whatever they 'fix' doesn't actually alienate those who are fine with how things are. :)

I don't think its super cool at all. I think its their job. But there really is some easily observable problems with the aiming that are posted all over youtube. But SamBishop has already covered all this stuff in the thread for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The Flying Milton posted:

This generation has drat near killed the JRPG. I'm glad NIS is around to throw poo poo at the wall and see what hits.

It seems like portables are the only real remaining platform for them.

On the other hand, I have to keep a careful eye on any future NIS game purchases lately, and not for good reasons. While I enjoy NIS-developed games like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, I pretty much have to avoid games that are just NISA-published such as Atelier Iris and, well, Cross Edge. Nowadays I have to be careful when I see that NIS America tag on a game so I don't accidentally purchase something like Last Rebellion and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I know in a few cases, NISA is roped into some contract agreement to release a lovely game (as was the case with Last Rebellion apparently), but I would think that they'd stop trying to translate and publish every new JRPG regardless of quality. It's like they want to be the next Working Designs or something.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

KFCB posted:

Feel like this should be cross-posted here... anyone who was keen on getting Assassin's Creed: Revelations next week but has a backlog/patience to wait, it will be $35 on Black Friday at Best Buy (whose ad just leaked).

I just picked up a copy of AC2 again to actually finish this time. I want to get Brotherhood and Revelations also but obviously wouldn't be ready to play Revelations by the time it comes out so I can definitely wait. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: The Uncharted series. Play them all, they all own :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think its super cool at all. I think its their job. But there really is some easily observable problems with the aiming that are posted all over youtube. But SamBishop has already covered all this stuff in the thread for the game.

If you say so. I noticed nothing. And I'm usually pretty cranky about poo poo that isn't right (like Killzone 2 controls) and the like.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I KNOW something is up. I'm saying it isn't a universally recognized problem, and I didn't have to get over any hurdles to "cope".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hah! I traded in my xbox today. It froze when they tested it, so I had the refurbishing fee deducted from the amount I got. But somehow, I still managed to get enough to pay for Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls and only have to pay five actual dollars. Though my heart stopped for a moment when I saw the online code in the Uncharted box (I got it used). But my luck held and the code actually worked. Considering I didn't think I'd have enough to buy one game this year, I'm extremely pleased with this.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Feenix posted:

If you say so. I noticed nothing. And I'm usually pretty cranky about poo poo that isn't right (like Killzone 2 controls) and the like.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I KNOW something is up. I'm saying it isn't a universally recognized problem, and I didn't have to get over any hurdles to "cope".

This is a considerable backpedal from your earlier statements.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

...! posted:

This is a considerable backpedal from your earlier statements.

Nah, it's not. He never said that they were unchanged, just that he had no issues with them. He is acknowledging that there was a change but is clearly stating that he has no issues with the change. He also didn't straight say that anyone was wrong, either. Just restating his opinion that one person saying it is poo poo does not apply to every person who played it. That ain't backpedaling.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Despite all of Skyrim's issues, it's certainly satisfying my kleptomania, especially after I cheated myself high weight capacity. Carrying weight is such an annoying mechanic in games. That bucket trick is pure gold.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rated PG-34 posted:

Despite all of Skyrim's issues, it's certainly satisfying my kleptomania, especially after I cheated myself high weight capacity. Carrying weight is such an annoying mechanic in games. That bucket trick is pure gold.
Can you cheat in the console versions, or are you on the PC version?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When people talk about a game story they are talking less about the literal script (book comparison) and more about the fact that there are neat setpieces and entertaining banter to accompany them

Ah, okay I didn't realize that. With that in mind the people talking about the story (setting) being good are right. I still think the gameplay isn't anything special and wouldn't recommend anyone get UC1 when UC2 is better in every way. Get UC2 and if you REALLY liked it pick up UC1. Or get UC3 and if you really liked it get the other two, I guess, if UC3 is the same leap in quality that UC1 to 2 was. I haven't played 3, so I can't say.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I would love it a lot more of it didn't crash so much. :( That's the only thing holding the game back right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I said come in! posted:

I would love it a lot more of it didn't crash so much. :( That's the only thing holding the game back right now.

I don't know how people buy a Bethesda game day one and not expect it to crash and be filled with bugs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Morpheus posted:

I don't know how people buy a Bethesda game day one and not expect it to crash and be filled with bugs.

This is stupid and it doesn't excuse it. I should absolutely expect a company as big as Bethesda to be able to ship a quality game that works.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I said come in! posted:

This is stupid and it doesn't excuse it. I should absolutely expect a company as big as Bethesda to be able to ship a quality game that works.

I agree. I should expect them to, but they have shown repeatedly that they don't, so I don't expect a perfectly workable game from them until at least a few months down the road. And even then really it's all about the mods to get around some fundamentally flawed design choices.

Not complaining about Skyrim here - haven't played it - but just their past titles, I guess Fallout and Oblivion in particular.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

I said come in! posted:

It is pretty stupid, but Bethesda knows they can get away with shipping out a fairly buggy game and selling a ton of copies on day 1. This is Skyrim. I don't know first-hand how buggy Skyrim is, mostly because I don't plan on buying it until it's on sale.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Anyone posted this yet?

http://us.playstation.com/psn/events/emailoffer.html?cmp=HM-EMAILOFFERVIDEOUL

Sony's offering $5.99 of credit. It's officially for the video on demand service, but it gives you money to spend on your wallet in any way you see fit. Lot of PS1 games you can get with that. All that you have to do is agree to get emails from Sony, which I already do.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Can you cheat in the console versions, or are you on the PC version?

I'm on the PC version. I don't think you can cheat in the PS3 version unfortunately.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

Sony's offering $5.99 of credit. It's officially for the video on demand service, but it gives you money to spend on your wallet in any way you see fit. Lot of PS1 games you can get with that. All that you have to do is agree to get emails from Sony, which I already do.

I did this using a link in the general discussion thread, worked like a charm. I got Limbo for free since I also got a $10 psn credit. Sony is A-Okay in my book now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Anyone posted this yet?

Anyone have some PS1 game recommendations to pick up with this?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 12, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone have some PS1 game recommendations to pick up with this?

Depends on what kind of stuff you like. I played Crash all the time as a kid and I still got hours of entertainment out of getting 100% on Crash 2 (to make up for never 100%ing it back when it came out) and I still have to go finish up Crash 3.

If you like RPGs there's always the Final Fantasies or Xenogears, but I'd say they didn't age too terribly well.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I always heard good things about Xenogears but if you say it didn't age well I'll stay away. I imagine most RPGs didn't age to well.

Anything interesting for local multiplayer co-op?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

I always heard good things about Xenogears but if you say it didn't age well I'll stay away. I imagine most RPGs didn't age to well.

Anything interesting for local multiplayer co-op?

Just read the Xenogears LP thread for a good laugh.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

boring long post ahead:

I'm finding Saints Row 2 quite boring. I played the first back in December 2006 for the 360 and thought it was very good for a launch title, however when I played the sequel in 2008 I put it down after a few hours since the wow factor wasn't there anymore.

A week ago I decided to start a new playthrough and I'm still not liking it at all.
The gunplay is unsatisfying: the weapons all lack punch and the enemies fall on the ground like paper. In my 15 hours of playing I rarely used anything other than the dual .44s since they kill enemies (all enemies, since there's no variety whatsoever) in two shots, have no recoil and ammo is practically unlimited since it can be gotten from any pistol laying on the ground.

It has also some of the worst sticky aiming I've seen in a console shooter this generation. The moment your crosshair is locked on an enemy it significantly slows down and moving the camera becomes a pain as a result.

The cutscenes are bland, none of the characters are remotely interesting and the terrible graphics make them even more lifeless than they already are. There also seem to be some audio mixing issues in the cutscenes where all sound effects are a hundred times louder than they are in the game.

The lack of music while on foot is a strange decision considering how many missions there are where you step out of a vehicle. The original title had some ipod-like device which you could use to listen to music anywhere. Why get rid of it? The lack of music could be forgiven if the sound design were good, but it isn't. Every mission feels lifeless as a result.

The main missions themselves are all pretty generic, consisting of nothing but car chases, on-foot shooting or on-rails sequences which are terrible. The game can be kind of glitchy at times, but it shits upon itself whenever an AI ally has to drive you somewhere. Chances are they'll get stuck along the way or their pathfinding will get broken half-way through and they'll start driving aimlessly, forcing you to restart the mission and hope there was a checkpoint somewhere so you don't have to redo the entire thing again.

The game's engine seems to barely maintain above 25FPS and quickly drops down to near-single digits whenever too much starts to happen. The last ten minutes of a stronghold mission ran at 5-15FPS because while I was trying to blow up a boat a ton of enemy cars would keep piling up and exploding or driving into the ocean. Another mission had so many enemies on-screen that when I killed one it would instantly fade away from the game world because it couldn't handle rendering another ragdoll on-screen.

The only thing in the game that I found entertaining were the trail blazing activities. The game has plenty of variation but it's unfortunate most of it is done with the minimal amount of effort necessary. It seems like with the game Volition knew it would sell well because of how *~~wacky~~* it was and not because of its actual gameplay quality.

SR3 looks good (especially due to the new engine), but after spending 15 hours with the mediocrity that is 2 I don't think I'll get it full price like I was going to.

:words:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Is it an all new engine? The character creator feels like the controls are just as spacey as the second one and the characters are, like, 15% improved. All the clothing options are still hideous and the less said about the animations, the better. It really turned me off the game, I bought Skyrim instead.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I read in the official thread that it's supposedly a brand new engine. That's all I know about it.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Feenix posted:

Was excited for it since day it was announced. Bought it. Received it. Made a sad face. Returned it to Best Buy.

Let's see:

No bass whatsoever. Check.
lovely positional sound. Check.
Leaks sound like a seive. Check.
Kindof huge and retarded looking. That's a check.

I know it's out of people's price ranges who are considering that, but I'm going to be grabbing an Astro A40 Wireless system for Xmas, I think.

I think you may have bought a defective headset. I have this headset and it's fantastic.

Bass is totally there. Having the War Tapes option on with these in BF3 is awesome as gently caress.

I'm not an audiophile but positional sound seems fine to me as well.

Only really leaks sound if it's really loud. From my experience, anyway.

But yes, it is kind of retarded looking. Actually it's really retarded looking but I don't mind that since it gets the job done.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Just bought a PS3 and found out about demon's/dark souls. Is it worth playing Demon's Souls? If the experience is basically the same then I'll probably just buy the newer one and save some time and money.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You should buy Demon's Souls first since it's significantly cheaper nowadays and you'll be able to find out if you enjoy the gameplay or not. It's quite a long game so you won't be finishing it overnight.

If you end up liking it get Dark Souls since the gameplay is similar.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Mercury Crusader posted:

On the other hand, I have to keep a careful eye on any future NIS game purchases lately, and not for good reasons. While I enjoy NIS-developed games like Disgaea and Phantom Brave, I pretty much have to avoid games that are just NISA-published such as Atelier Iris and, well, Cross Edge. Nowadays I have to be careful when I see that NIS America tag on a game so I don't accidentally purchase something like Last Rebellion and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I know in a few cases, NISA is roped into some contract agreement to release a lovely game (as was the case with Last Rebellion apparently), but I would think that they'd stop trying to translate and publish every new JRPG regardless of quality. It's like they want to be the next Working Designs or something.

Atelier Rorona is the tits, and i've heard good things about its sequel

I'd love to see more large scale JRPGs appear on the PS3, maybe something along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles, which I haven't played but looks fantastic.

Maybe a remake of Rogue Galaxy where it doesn't suck too

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Wow, that Rayman Origins demo is stunningly gorgeous, how did it take this long for someone to work out that hand drawn 2D graphics work so well in HD.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

GUI posted:

The cutscenes are bland, none of the characters are remotely interesting ...

gently caress you say?

I'll let the rest go as personal opinion, but this part is just plain wrong. The framing of the cutscenes, and the content in them, is as good as in any other game that exists. There are two deaths in particular Aisha and Carlos that are incredibly cinematic. Especially the dolly shot for the latter, that slow pan in and back was incredibly well done.

Plus, you are supposed to be playing the game in co-op. If you are playing that game solo, you are doing it wrong. The strength of SR2 is that it is an adequate world, with lots of fun things to do, that you share with a fellow psychopath. I clocked the game once solo, and it was decent. A second run-through with a friend was the most fun I have ever had in video games, just constant laughter from start to finish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GUI posted:

boring long post ahead:

Make a friend.

It's a co-op game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Parkingtigers posted:

gently caress you say?

I'll let the rest go as personal opinion, but this part is just plain wrong. The framing of the cutscenes, and the content in them, is as good as in any other game that exists. There are two deaths in particular Aisha and Carlos that are incredibly cinematic. Especially the dolly shot for the latter, that slow pan in and back was incredibly well done.

Liking the writing of characters is also personal opinion. I didn't like any of the characters besides the goofy lieutenant whose name I can't remember and that was just because he was goofy and fun to listen to. There were a couple scenes that were cool, like killing the Brotherhood leader's girlfriend, but for the most part I was playing the game because it was a fun GTA kind of game.

It's alright if people don't like your favorite videogame. I'm not going to flip my poo poo when people say Metal Gear Solid's story is ridiculously retarded (partly because I agree) or the gameplay was boring and unfun.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Anyone posted this yet?

gently caress me for setting the birthdays on my dupe accounts to random dates.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sweet Merciful crap is Skyrim tedious and kind of janky.

I know I may no longer be the target demographic for a game like this, but yowza, it's just rubbing me the wrong way from the start.

God Bless Gamefly.

I arrived in the first little town, spoke to this chick, and it became evident I was an ally. I had helped her brother, she gave me the keys to their house and offered her help.

I turned around, walked 10 feet, and fire-balled a chicken and EVERY SINGLE PERSON including her, my ally to that point, and the whole rest of the town proceeded to attack and murder me.

Sure. Ok.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 13, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

I turned around, walked 10 feet, and fire-balled a chicken and EVERY SINGLE PERSON including her, my ally to that point, and the whole rest of the town proceeded to attack and murder me.

Sure. Ok.

Chickens, dogs and other owned animals count as townsfolk. You basically just became wanted for murder.

Don't randomly set fire to living things when in towns, basically. A rule of thumb that applies well to real life, too!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dominic White posted:

Chickens, dogs and other owned animals count as townsfolk. You basically just became wanted for murder.

Don't randomly set fire to living things when in towns, basically. A rule of thumb that applies well to real life, too!

Sure that's fair. Still seems a bit "binary". It's not like it's my only complaint with the game so far or anything. I just found it a little ridiculous.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Feenix posted:

Sure that's fair. Still seems a bit "binary". It's not like it's my only complaint with the game so far or anything. I just found it a little ridiculous.
Yes it is nuts that they would murder you for killing a chicken, rather than demanding some kind of monetary compensation. One day maybe game AI will get better but that kind of reaction is pretty par for the course when it comes to these open world games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

Yes it is nuts that they would murder you for killing a chicken, rather than demanding some kind of monetary compensation.

They actually will accept you paying a fine, if a guard is around and you surrender (visibly put your weapon away - if needs be, draw it and put it away again). There's just not many guards standing around in the first town. Much easier to turn yourself in for crimes in other towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Feenix posted:

This reminds me of the Hitman series. That bald guy just pushed somebody, time to murder the gently caress out of him!

• Locked thread