Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Calm down guys. I'm sure there will be more Minecraft fan fictions for the ending text by the time the game is released. Hopefully they will include some more sensual fictions :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I'm betting this is more of a failed attempt at a prank ending than a failed attempt at a deep ending. It's fun and all to make fun of Notch's judgement, but even if you think he is seriously mentally disabled, that still doesn't explain how no one else at the company could have said anything about that being a bad idea for an ending (eight uninterrupted minutes of some of the best prose known to man would be a bad idea for the ending of a video game... Honeydew couldn't even read it aloud at the pace it was scrolling, either, so what the hell are children -- the main demographic for video games -- supposed to do?).

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

That's really stupid and im 99% sure it's completely sincere.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I don't understand why Notch added 2 characters in a game where there's no need for this kind of characterization.

Not only that, but they only appear in the ending to talk about love and pseudo-philosophy. I'm guessing that Green text thing and Cyan text thing are supposed to be space babies crossed with hippies or something? I can't even tell what they're supposed to be. I can't even tell where Steve is supposed to be during the text sequence.

I know I'm rambling, but seriously, what is going on during that wall of text?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Only with the million dollar budget that Notch has at his disposal is something this wonderful possible. Thank you Notch, thank you for surpassing all my expectations. You truly, truly are a wonderful human being.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Hopefully someone will mod in a way to create replayable in-engine cutscenes and then sell it to Notch so he can make an ending that actually fits with the rest of the game (even if it still is a prank ending).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

The Yellow Ant posted:

Now to create a Minecraft-genre game where all the components of the game are plugins, making it infinitely easier for the community to create and add to the game.

Ship it out with official/default plugins for mobs, resources, world gen, items, recipes, potions, etc., so that it is fully playable immediately, but make those components swapable with unofficial plugins.

Garry's Blocks. Once I get better at programming I really, really want to make this. Or at least see someone else make it.

Eloraam?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
If he was going for a troll ending, he should have had the conversation be between the two parents of the player, discussing why their child obsessively moves things around and doesn't seem to recognize that anyone else in the world exists. And then it can end with a doctor diagnosing the player with Asperger's.

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!
Hey guys, heres a thought, maybe not all people with Asperger's are retarded. And yeah, the ending does kinda suck, but it's not the end of the world.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The AngryScientist posted:

Hey guys, heres a thought, maybe not all people with Asperger's are retarded. And yeah, the ending does kinda suck, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm kinda shocked at the utter outrage it's getting. I mean yeah it's stupid, and it's super long, but this thing is generating SEETHING HATRED which is weird to me.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

The AngryScientist posted:

I wasn't implying that :confused: I was just referencing how it's a troll mainstay to say that Minecraft is an "aspie's game"

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!

waffle posted:

I wasn't implying that :confused: I was just referencing how it's a troll mainstay to say that Minecraft is an "aspie's game"

I was more referring to other people in the thread, but I guess I wasn't very clear.

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

Willie Trombone posted:

I'm betting this is more of a failed attempt at a prank ending than a failed attempt at a deep ending.

Going by the hilarious overreactions, as a prank ending it's an unmitigated success.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I don't understand the "ending", I guess I am too stupid. Can someone spell out what the hell that means to me?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Diogines posted:

I don't understand the "ending", I guess I am too stupid. Can someone spell out what the hell that means to me?

Notch thinks he is funny.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Macaluso posted:

I'm kinda shocked at the utter outrage it's getting. I mean yeah it's stupid, and it's super long, but this thing is generating SEETHING HATRED which is weird to me.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Minecraft: Enabling spergs since 2009

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Diogines posted:

its a parody of typical indie game endings, only notch forgot to make the parody actually funny, and not actually worse then what its parodying.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Silly text aside it's hard to think that Notch would have it scroll by for 8 minutes without it all being a big troll. I mean that poo poo scrolls by absurdly slow. My guess is the joke is more that than the text itself, the text seems more "hey man, write a poo poo ton of words for me so I can make this ending extra long"

urf
Jul 12, 2009
8 minutes of talking in circles kind of much.
The idea isn't bad though, a few paragraphs about the player on his way but falling short of attaining a new state of being, gets reincarnated on a new minecraft world where you get to do everything all over again, only with a NewGame+ twist? (Diamonds spawn a bit more frequently, monsters a bit tougher, etc) I'd dig it.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

urf posted:

8 minutes of talking in circles kind of much.
The idea isn't bad though, a few paragraphs about the player on his way but falling short of attaining a new state of being, gets reincarnated on a new minecraft world where you get to do everything all over again, only with a NewGame+ twist? (Diamonds spawn a bit more frequently, monsters a bit tougher, etc) I'd dig it.

I'd love to see something like Binding of Isaac where new ores/special dungeon items would get unlocked after each playthrough, but the enemies would get slightly stronger as well.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 12, 2011

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
Yeah it's a joke

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/statuses/125612634425921537

A dumb and overly long one, but like all things that are weird for the sake of weird it'll cause endless speculation and debate.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Sorry to interrupt whatever everyone was talking about for the last three pages I skimmed over. I just thought I'd let anyone who was wondering know. My comic is no longer on that tumblr. It will still update twice a week, but I sold out, so it will be updating twice a week at its new home.

http://yogscast.com/cmps_index.php?pageid=comics

Keep reading drat you! Send me to the top! Also let me know if you see my poo poo at Minecon. Take pictures. Simon and Lewis said they might be showing some of them. I donno! I can't go!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Guys, the ending is very simple. Minecraft characters can change their appearance via skins, and between tools, enchantments, and mods, have assorted super powers. Then we get told that we are loved by a higher power.

We're all Skrulls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Badass, Cheap Shot. Yours is the imagination that keeps on giving.

So I haven't played minecraft in a while, mostly due to a mod not working and getting frustrated waiting for the official release. I am not yet sure exactly how I'm going to react to the official update. Need to start planning complexes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

Sorry to interrupt whatever everyone was talking about for the last three pages I skimmed over. I just thought I'd let anyone who was wondering know. My comic is no longer on that tumblr. It will still update twice a week, but I sold out, so it will be updating twice a week at its new home.

Keep reading drat you! Send me to the top! Also let me know if you see my poo poo at Minecon. Take pictures. Simon and Lewis said they might be showing some of them. I donno! I can't go!

The Yogscast comics interface is terrible. And are all your comics going to be mixed up with the other one?

And I probably won't remember to read it without an RSS feed.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Shinjobi posted:

Badass, Cheap Shot. Yours is the imagination that keeps on giving.

So I haven't played minecraft in a while, mostly due to a mod not working and getting frustrated waiting for the official release. I am not yet sure exactly how I'm going to react to the official update. Need to start planning complexes.

HE LOVES YOU! SSSSSSSSSSS *BOOM*

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
The perfect ending would be for the game to pull scroll text from an online database, in which Notch keeps up-to-date copies of all of the various retarded e-mails he has gotten from angry mod-makers.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Because there are so many ways Minecraft could be better. This wasn't one of them.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
Best end to the game: hatch dragon, fly to moon.

Edit: Minecraft 2: Mooncraft

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The worst part about the ending is how boring it is.

Polo-Rican posted:

• camera cuts to 3rd person, looking down at your avatar, who is looking up at the sky
Given that you can basically never see your character's head except directly from the back or front, a cutscene which actually zooms and pans and moves around your character would be genuinely nice to see.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

MikeJF posted:

The Yogscast comics interface is terrible. And are all your comics going to be mixed up with the other one?

And I probably won't remember to read it without an RSS feed.

Ah...yeah I know. I didn't have any say in that. Yes they will be, and I know. It was nice having the RSS feed before. I don't know if I could convince anyone to do extra work though. You could email people and demand changes? Might carry more weight if it's not just the artist whining.

I'm still just waiting for a button to be added that links to my stuff. There's only one on the page right now and it goes to the other artists profile. :smith:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm pleased I have room to believe the ending is just hilarious trolling. My one concern is that Notch might be tempted to leave it in the game anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cheap Shot posted:

Congratulations on your success, but the interface on this site is horrible. It took me five minutes to find the Next Comic and Previous Comic buttons.

On top of that, you can't travel between months with those buttons. If you want to view the previous comic, but it's the first of the month, you have to manually select the month from a drop down box.

Yogscast people, why have you done this thing?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, as much as I'm sure someone eventually reads their email and then suggests things to them, I feel like publicly shaming them about their breaking things that work everywhere else on the internet might get stuff fixed faster.

Yogscast persons: In addition to all the problems already mentioned with your comics layout, by forcing them to all load into the same-sized area so they can be needlessly scrolled between horizontally, you have quite literally put your artists' content in a box. Most comic artists have ideas from time to time that don't fit well into their standard format, usually going longer. These longer comics would be only on the internet, though, so they cost you nothing extra while effectively being delicious, delicious extra content... unless you force them into spaces where they don't fit, then your artist may either half-rear end the idea or discard it altogether (far less delicious). Also, putting tons of filler space on the smaller pieces to match the dimensions of larger pieces looks like rear end. There are ways to swap out an image on a page and hav the browser rerender it to fit without reloading the entire page if that's what this was intended to reduce.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why the butt would anyone in their right mind ever think mine-craft needs an ending?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm not mad about the ending considering it's a part of the game I will probably never bother with, but oh jesus christ that thing smacks of some horrible pretentious Jason Rohrer poo poo. The fact that Minecraft didn't seem to be one of those indie games was part of what turned me on to it in the first place.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

a starwar betamax posted:

Why the butt would anyone in their right mind ever think mine-craft needs an ending?
I agree; I would prefer that the end boss drop a nice random magic weapon on death. That would encourage me to do it again and again to see what drops.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

goons posted:

Page Rage

Oh god, I just draw pictures! I don't know nuthin bout nothin else! Page design is handled elsewhere. It took me two weeks just to get my tumblr working. I can't do anything about anything.

Now that you mention it though, the forward and back arrows also scroll the wrong direction, like some kind of Japan book. Look the important thing is, I'm going to be making dick and fart minecraft jokes twice a week from now on.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
While bitching about a pretentious joke is great, does anyone have a changelist for 1.9pre6?

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Clearly the ending should be some take on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0

Just replace the guy getting shot with a creeper.